Originally Posted by 257Bob
Ive been a Leupold fan for decades, have quite a few as well as Zeiss, Swaroski and S&B but always thought Leupold was a durable and effective choice for most applications. I've been a bit distracted the last few years but I see that Nightforce has become very popular, what's that all about? How do they (L & NF) compare these days?

is this a joke post? are you serious? lets just sum it up if its not. Leupold's suck mechanically. They have even tried to pass off some very very high end models marketed to the miltiary. ALA mark 6 an mark 8, scopes priced north of $2000 with crappy and piss poor tracking and mechanical reliability. Never mind the mark 4's and VX3's marketed to the consumers, those have tons of reliablity issues. The problem is the optics world has changed. We are asking our scopes to do far far more than we did 20 years ago. We are asking them to adjust with precision and reliability. Leupold and most rifle scopes for that matter work just fine as set it and forget it scopes. As long as you don't mess with the adjustments its likely you will be just fine with the scope. Leupold didn't realize this was a problem they needed to address. Probably because so few people actually shoot their guns and use them in a manner that exposes the flaws of the imprecise manufacture. So what has happened is more people are using their scopes like this, we have forums etc. Frankly many of us are tired of the junk they sold. So when you want to cure your scope problems and you are finally sick of wondering zeros. resetting your zero each time you go to the range. clicks that don't match the turrets. YOU BUY A NIGHTFORCE. They are legendary reliable. IMO their reputation is without equal. even compared with a company like S&B,which on snipers hide there have been complaints even with them. NO ONE complains about nightforce. I have simply never heard of a bonifide issue with one and that mirrors what I have seen.