Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
The supposed twin bias spring is no better than the original single bias spring. I’ve sent back VX3’s and they returned them with the same claim of erector rebuild on the repair order that I would get with the VXIII’s that were repaired.

Based on Mule Deer's post earlier, I still wonder what contribution to failures is due to the design versus quality control of processes and materials. He noted a marked increase in failures since 2010 and also pointed out that variables used to rarely fail (see quotes below). A few others noted that changes in management and personnel occurred although no one pinpointed a year or range of years for that. I.E., cost cutting, changes in production and personnel leaving either for retirement or to work for competitors. It would seem that design alone wouldn't account for an increase in failures. Sort of makes it all clear as mud.

Some previous comments for reference. Would be nice to pinpoint when the cost cutting changes occurred and when the experienced personnel left.

Originally Posted by Beaver10
Agreed....Leupold met the Vortex customer service challenge, but neglected to advance the engineering of internal components. Coupled with a change in component manufacturing to a lesser quality of materials made in China. These are facts...I personally know the former head of manufacturing and components ordering and the Lead of Leups QC department. Both, left-retired after 25 years at Leupold in sadness and disgust at the new management initiative of bean counting over quality improvements.

That’s the sad, factual truth of Leupold and dialing scopes. 😎

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As for Leupold, I still have quite a few, but mostly scopes at least a decade old, and the majority are M8 fixed powers, which for certain kinds of hunting are excellent. As an example, have had a 4x M8 on my lightweight 9.3x62 for around 15 years now, and it simply never changes POI. Even their variables almost never used to break, but since 2010 I've had to send so many Leupolds (both fixed and variable) that I eventually printed out a stack of repair forms so they'd be on hand.

Originally Posted by koshkin
Leupold had a bit of a change in personnel in recent years, partly because a good number of people retired (as John mentioned) and partly because quite a few experienced people went to work for Sig, who opened their shop a few miles down the road. Now that Crimson Trace is in the scope making business as well, I would not be surprised if they pilfered some people from Leupols and/or Sig. ... This kind of competition is not great for Leupold in the short term, but is probably healthy in the long term (general disclaimer: I know some of these people because of my dayjob and some because of my hobbies. The two often overlap).

ILya