Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Originally Posted by Blackheart
The Adirondacks are considered some of the toughest deer hunting in the US by pretty much everybody who knows anything about deer hunting in the continental US, which you and several of your dunce buddies here obviously do not.

First it was "the big country, as badass as anything out West", then it was terribly low deer densities. What are the densities there anyway?
Generally less than one per square mile in the wilderness areas. And you ain't going to be setting up on a good vantage point and glassing thousands of yards from one location. You want to know whats 100 yards over yonder you mosey on over there for a look. I NEVER said it was as bad ass as anything out west you thick, headed jackass.

My experience hunting deer in "big woods" back east was the NF in VA. I gravitated to designated wilderness because those were the places I wanted to be during deer season, not so much for the deer population itself. Not a dense population and it varied tremendously year to year as far as numbers and quality. Many more and larger deer down in the farmlands of the Piedmont but hearing dogs barking and car doors slamming didn't do it for me. I'd rather see fewer hunters and fewer deer if that's the choice.

Lots of mature oaks, stands of pine on some mountainsides and huge hemlocks down in the creek bottoms and on shady northern slopes but those are mostly gone now. And dense thickets of mountain laurel everywhere, lots of them impossible to walk through.

Deer there depended on acorns. The year after a big crop was good for horns and numbers. The year of a big crop made the hunting tough, we'd jump lots of deer heading down the trail in the dark but once the sun came up they'd be laying down in the laurel thickets stuffed with acorns.

A wise man is frequently humbled.