Originally Posted by Mule Deer
... The editors tried to put together a magazine people would want to read, so the advertising department could tell manufacturers how many people would be seeing their ads. In fact, there wasn't much opportunity to mention products in feature articles back then, because they were mostly stories or how-to, not product oriented. The product stuff went into columns, but often in a more general way than today. A flyishing article, for instance, might discuss the advantages of graphite fly rods, but there wouldn't be much (if any) mention of specific brands.

Ironically, I think reading those stories generated more interest in outdoor activities, and therefore demand in outdoor products, if not for a specific advertiser's products. Sort of the tide that lifts all boats so to speak. I used to check out magazines from the school library and read them on the bus ride home.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
As for Leupold, I still have quite a few, but mostly scopes at least a decade old, and the majority are M8 fixed powers, which for certain kinds of hunting are excellent. As an example, have had a 4x M8 on my lightweight 9.3x62 for around 15 years now, and it simply never changes POI. Even their variables almost never used to break, but since 2010 I've had to send so many Leupolds (both fixed and variable) that I eventually printed out a stack of repair forms so they'd be on hand.

Is there anything specific that changed with Leupold in 2010 you can think of that caused this? Many on this thread mention it is design related, but your statement implies quality control or materials went south in some regard.