Originally Posted by Angus1895
I used to buy a lot of m8 s here on the campfire.

I would have the seller ship to Leupold for a check up, and perhaps a new reticle.

Well over half of them needed new erectors. Which they did replace at no charge.

No one advertised their scopes as " broken" when they sold them to me.

So I wonder how many of us even know our Leupolds are " broken".

Not many, I'd guess, including me much of the time, and not just Leupolds.

Last year I killed two deer, both at about 35 yards, but with a crossbow, not a rifle. I also passed on some at about the same distance while carrying my fast-twist, under-powered rifle (stuffed with ping-pong balls BTW). My VX-5 HD would've had to have been pretty futzed up to have made me miss those deer I passed on, and if a bullet had landed somewhere unexpected, I'd likely have blamed it on something other than my scope, at least until the next time I put it on paper.

One thing I have to say about many younger shooters, even those who don't (yet) appreciate the wonders of Mausers, Sakos, lever-guns, and falling blocks, is that they often put their equipment on paper, and thus reveal problems that once-a-year guys don't ever see because they drag out old Betsy a week (or a day) before the season, fire one or two to check their zero, and call it good, even if they leave the range with a slight nagging feeling about the shot that was a bit off.

What fresh Hell is this?