Sheister: I bought another Leupold scope just this week - seems the "Leupold bashing" and "Leupold bashers" have NO effect on me and and my enjoyment of the shooting sports, at all.
I own and use many dozens of Leupold scopes and have bought, used and sold dozens more over the last 55 years and have yet to experience MY first Leupold scope failure!
Checked my online inventory just now and I have 66 (sixty six!) Leupold scopes mounted on Rifles right today - and I have 5 more in reserve (not mounted on a Rifle yet)!
I know that any scope brand can have a failure but I trust Leupold for harsh condition and harsh recoiling usages.
I also own scopes by Zeiss, Bausch & Lomb, Burris, Redfield, Weatherby, Unertl, Weaver, Simmons, Tasco, Nikon, Lyman, BSA and Sightron - when its crucial though, I choose Leupold.
I am mounting scopes and lapping rings for two Elk Hunting Rifles right now that are owned by friends of mine - both of these "seasoned Elk Hunters" chose Leupold scopes for their Rifles (one a 30 mm tube VX-5HD 3 to 15 power variable and the other a 1" tube 4.5x14 variable). Both these Hunters have 45+ years of Elk Hunting experiences each, in harsh country and harsh late season conditions. I agree with THEM not a few Leupold bashers here-on.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Corporation a fine old American Company!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy