Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by rj308
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by atse
Most if not all of your good scopes will have brass mechanicals inside. I know my swfa scopes do. They are resistant to moisture and temp. My old vari x II leupolds that I dialed had some nylon mechanical parts in them. They were not as precise in adjustment as my scopes with brass internals.
The only thing nylon in the Leupold is the little toothed "gear" that provides the little ball bearing with detents to click in. It aint got a goddam thing else to do but to provide "clicks" that's it and that's all. The old friction adjustment scopes didn't have the little gear so had no "clicks". The clicks don't really have anything at all to do with whether the scope adjusts correctly or holds zero.

Someone correct me if I am all wrong about this but "that little toothed "gear" that provides the little ball bearing with detents to click in" has a hell of a lot to do with proper tracking in a scope. If the detents do not hold, recoil or a bump to the rifle can cause loss of zero and if that ball does not stop in the center of the detent, one click will not equal the 1/4" or whatever it is supposed to at 100 yards. I did not know that Leupolds had a nylon detent ring. This might not be a good thing. RJ
You don't even need detents for a scope to hold zero or adjust correctly. Like I said, all they do is provide "clicks". I still have an old VX-IIc with friction adjustments that adjusts and holds zero just fine.

No, you don't need detents for a scope to hold zero, but on a scope with detents, the detent is a substitute for the friction on an erector without detents. And if the detent does not hold, the zero will not hold. That is why some of the older friction (non-detent) erector scopes hold zero so well. There is enough friction on the adjusting screws to keep them from moving. If a scope erector with detents had as much friction on the adjustment screws as a friction erector, you would not be able to feel the clicks as you turned the adjustment. RJ