Originally Posted by Mule Deer
[My Leupolds work fine. So do my Weavers, Nikons, Bushnells, Redfields and Bausch and Lombs. I have had several Tasco's a couple Bushnells a Simmons and a Sightron fail in one way or another but none on a hunt yet.]

Gee, you mean a scope that doesn't hold zero will either miss an animal, or hit it exactly right? Good to know.

Also good to know that because you've "hiked" so much of West, you also know all about hunting out here. Did you hike during hunting season, with a firearm in your hands? I've done that not just in New York, but in several other states east of the Mississippi, on public land, and killed game from ruffed grouse to turkeys to deer. Have you done the same in the West, with any kind of game?

Have also hunted the Bob Marshall and other really wild country in the West. Unlike whitetails, elk (and even mule deer), do not hang out in the same small area after they start getting hunted. Have hunted far bigger country than your "mountains" for several days before even finding fresh elk sign--and in an area where the longest shot possible might have been at most 200 yards.

I said in my first post to you that I respected your experience. Have changed my mind. You're one of those provincial nitwits who cannot imagine anything except their "exceptional" experience.
You always know more than anybody John. I know damn good and well what the terrain is like out there and that's all I claimed about it. Probably just as much as you know about the terrain here, as I'm sure you haven't hunted anywhere near all of NYS. No it wasn't hunting season while I was there. Yes I carried a rifle while out hiking. Yes I saw lots of game while out there. I'm real proud and happy for you that you were able to carry a rifle and hunt in NY. I have heard that about elk before. It's still just hunting and nobody's likely to die if they don't kill an elk today or this season. Geezus, you'd think the world spins and the sun comes up in the morning depending on whether game is bagged or not and therefore I anything goes as long as a kill is made. Does anybody just hunt for fun, recreation and sport anymore or does all fame and fortune, life and death and lots of good young pussy ride on the outcome of a hunt ?