Originally Posted by JGRaider
Tikka 695 7mag SwaroA 3-10x42, 160 accubonds, 150 yds sitting off of sticks, dead steady rest. Shot this big buck to pieces. Notice the bullet holes. I've never won Camp Perry but I can dang sure hit a volley ball at 150 yards with a solid rest. Took 4 shots to finally kill this buck, last one after I tracked him down to 30 yards. Swaro was shooting 13" right, 9" high, erector was history.

[Linked Image]

Damn nice deer. This post, blackheart's posts, and my own experience all lead me to an observation: lots of animals are killed without even using a scope, and probably even more are killed with scopes that don't have precise, consistent adjustments and scopes that shift zero some. For people who rarely take shots over 100 yards at deer-sized targets and bigger these things are not such a big deal. My muzzleloader shoots 3" groups at 100 and the size of the groups has never been an issue for me. When I hunted back east, I almost never took a shot over 100 yards with any kind of rifle so accurate repeatable adjustments and zero shift meant very little to me. I'd just re-zero before the season and go kill some deer.

It wasn't until I moved out west and started shooting at longer ranges with accurate rifles and handloads that I even started paying attention to accurate repeatable adjustments.

Just an observation.

A wise man is frequently humbled.