Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 28 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 27 28
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jwp475

In the 60’s & 70’s Leupolds was a good option, the problem is everyone else has improved their scopes but Leupold has not.

+1

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Sorry, Blackheart. While I respect your experience, I've fished and hunted in your "wilderness." While the Catskills and, especially, Adirondacks are far wilder than many outdoorsmen from the West would believe, but they do NOT compare. My medium-sized Montana county alone (out of 56 counties in the state) is as large as the Catskills Forest Preserve, and the rise from the bottom of the valley to the highest peak is more than the elevation of the highest peaks in either the Catskills or Adirondacks above sea level. Only about 6000 people live in the entire county, and there are nine species of big game animals, existing from the (just as thick as the Adirondacks) riverbottoms and north-slope mountain ridges to above timberline. If you have never hunted out here (and this is by no means the wildest part of the wild west) then you have no comprehension of what the country is like.

I also know this not just because of my experience in both places, but because my wife is originally from New York, and her brother (who fancied himself a real wilderness adventurer because he'd done so much hiking and canoeing in the Adirondacks) was blown away when he visited out here the first time. As are a lot of people I've hosted from the East.
I've been all over Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington, Oregon and the Dakotas. Hiked in the bitterrroots and the Bob Marshal. I spent a whole summer out there in the early 90's. I know what it's like. I also know you can only cover so much country in a days hunt and that applies here or there. Deer populations are extremely sparse in the wilderness areas of both the Adirondacks and the Catskills. I seriously doubt filling a tag gets much tougher anywhere when you're dealing with deer densities of less than 1 psm in an unbroken, heavily forested 10,000 - 192,000 acre tract of state land. You don't have the option of glassing game from afar and using the modern technology of a laser range finder and pricisely dialable scope to shoot a deer 500 - 1000 yards away across a canyon on the vast majority of state forest land here. You've got to get close because there ain't no way you're going to see or shoot it from afar. On the flip side of that, I've hunted the open farmlands of central NY many times with a slug gun. Sure I saw deer across big crop fields that were far out of slug range. That's hunting and you sure shouldn't expect to be able to shoot every animal right from where you are just because you can see it through a high magnification scope. I'm just not convinced there's much "fair chase" involved when you're bombing animals from distances beyond their ability to detect that they are being hunted and are in danger. Hell, I don't consider shooting woodchucks from 400 yards "hunting" either. It's just shooting/killing woodchucks. Sure you can miss one from 400 yards but until you do they have no clue they'e in mortal danger or that theres even a hunter in the same zip code.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Longevity with any scope is probably greatly increased if you don't throw it down mountainsides, toss it out of treestands, dive into fox holes and and use it to break your fall while your clumsy ass tumbles down a hillside. Likewise if you don't shoot 700 rounds through your lightweight .300 Win. mag. every time you go to the range. Who the fugg needs that much practice anyway ? If you do you probably just suck and aught to take up ping pong. Either that or learn how to actually hunt and get close before you shoot, rather than relying on the technology of your 2500 yard laser rangefinder and super duper, foolproof, tumble proof, dial a mile scope and .850 BC bullets to make up for your lack of stalking skill and laziness. Where the fugg does "fair chase" come into the equation these days anyway ? Is there any limit to how far you can go before it's just killing ? Crypes I bet some of these guys can't wait to get their hands on an electronic pulse phaser that will shoot over, around and through mountains to kill game 5 miles away that's only visible through their heat signature seeking, x-ray vision super scope.

Stalk this....Laffin 😎

[Linked Image]

That is trick photography, camera angle gets you all the time itis really flat ground.. grin

In the Catskills one must dodge housing developments and such , they can be quite hazardous
Hmmm, I've never seen any housing developments in any of the designated wilderness, wild forests, state forests or WMA's in NY. I'm pretty goddam sure you haven't either.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sorry, Blackheart. While I respect your experience, I've fished and hunted in your "wilderness." While the Catskills and, especially, Adirondacks are far wilder than many outdoorsmen from the West would believe, but they do NOT compare. My medium-sized Montana county alone (out of 56 counties in the state) is as large as the Catskills Forest Preserve, and the rise from the bottom of the valley to the highest peak is more than the elevation of the highest peaks in either the Catskills or Adirondacks above sea level. Only about 6000 people live in the entire county, and there are nine species of big game animals, existing from the (just as thick as the Adirondacks) riverbottoms and north-slope mountain ridges to above timberline. If you have never hunted out here (and this is by no means the wildest part of the wild west) then you have no comprehension of what the country is like.

I also know this not just because of my experience in both places, but because my wife is originally from New York, and her brother (who fancied himself a real wilderness adventurer because he'd done so much hiking and canoeing in the Adirondacks) was blown away when he visited out here the first time. As are a lot of people I've hosted from the East.
I've been all over Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington and the Dakotas. Hiked in the bitterrroots and the Bob Marshal. I spent a whole summer out there in the early 90's. I know well what it's like. I also know you can only cover so much country in a days hunt and that applies here or there. Deer populations are extremely sparse in the wilderness areas of both the Adirondacks and the Catskills. I seriously doubt filling a tag gets much tougher anywhere when you're dealing with deer densities of less than 1 psm in an unbroken, heavily forested 10,000 - 200,000 acre tract of state land. You don't have the option of glassing game from afar and using the modern technology of a laser range finder and pricisely dialable scope to shoot a deer 500 - 1000 yards away across a canyon. You've got to get close because there ain't no way you're going to see or shoot it from afar. On the flip side of that, I've hunted the open farmlands of central NY many times with a slug gun. Sure I saw deer across big crop fields that were far out of slug range. That's hunting and you sure shouldn't expect to be able to kill every animal just because you can see it through a high magnification scope. I'm just not convinced there's much "fair chase" involved when you're bombing animals from distances beyond their ability to detect that they are being hunted and are in danger. Hell, I don't consider shooting woodchucks from 400 yards "hunting" either. It's just shooting/killing woodchucks. Sure you can miss one from 400 yards but until you do they have no clue they'e in mortal danger or that theres even a hunter in the same zip code.

Your drivel is making less sense every time you post. First, it's "if you don't hunt the way I do you're not a hunter", then it's some new excuse that you can't get close to an animal because of the conditions, what is next? The point of hunting is to get close without the animal sensing you isn't it? And that doesn't matter if it is 25 yards or 1000 yards. And don't tell me a deer or elk can't see, smell, or sense you at those distances. The longest shot I've personally made on an elk was 700 yards. Just a couple minutes before, a very large 7 pt bull saw me move slightly from farther away (probably 800-900 yards) on the same hillside and ran off at top speed. Since I only had a spike tag in my pocket I concentrated on the spike on the hillside ahead of me. There were even elk on the hillside below me, but it was so steep I could hear them but not see them. Being prepared is what separated this from a sightseeing trip to a hunting trip....

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by irfubar
I am thinkin blackheart needs to be dropped into the middle of the river of no return or the Bob Marshall and he will have a new understanding...... smile
I am thinking you should try plopping your ass into the middle of the 192,000 acre high peaks, 156,000 acre West Canada lake or maybe even the little 112,000 acre Siamese ponds wilderness area and see how long it takes you to walk to the nearest housing development.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Sheister

I've been all over Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Washington and the Dakotas. Hiked in the bitterrroots and the Bob Marshal. I spent a whole summer out there in the early 90's. I know well what it's like. I also know you can only cover so much country in a days hunt and that applies here or there. Deer populations are extremely sparse in the wilderness areas of both the Adirondacks and the Catskills. I seriously doubt filling a tag gets much tougher anywhere when you're dealing with deer densities of less than 1 psm in an unbroken, heavily forested 10,000 - 200,000 acre tract of state land. You don't have the option of glassing game from afar and using the modern technology of a laser range finder and pricisely dialable scope to shoot a deer 500 - 1000 yards away across a canyon. You've got to get close because there ain't no way you're going to see or shoot it from afar. On the flip side of that, I've hunted the open farmlands of central NY many times with a slug gun. Sure I saw deer across big crop fields that were far out of slug range. That's hunting and you sure shouldn't expect to be able to kill every animal just because you can see it through a high magnification scope. I'm just not convinced there's much "fair chase" involved when you're bombing animals from distances beyond their ability to detect that they are being hunted and are in danger. Hell, I don't consider shooting woodchucks from 400 yards "hunting" either. It's just shooting/killing woodchucks. Sure you can miss one from 400 yards but until you do they have no clue they'e in mortal danger or that theres even a hunter in the same zip code.

Your drivel is making less sense every time you post. First, it's "if you don't hunt the way I do you're not a hunter", then it's some new excuse that you can't get close to an animal because of the conditions, what is next? The point of hunting is to get close without the animal sensing you isn't it? And that doesn't matter if it is 25 yards or 1000 yards. And don't tell me a deer or elk can't see, smell, or sense you at those distances. The longest shot I've personally made on an elk was 700 yards. Just a couple minutes before, a very large 7 pt bull saw me move slightly from farther away (probably 800-900 yards) on the same hillside and ran off at top speed. Since I only had a spike tag in my pocket I concentrated on the spike on the hillside ahead of me. There were even elk on the hillside below me, but it was so steep I could hear them but not see them. Being prepared is what separated this from a sightseeing trip to a hunting trip....
Gosh your elk must just be way smarter than our deer. I have a field on the mountainside 850 yards across the valley from me here {measured with rangefinder} I see deer out in that field all the time during the open season. I can go out in my yard and cut wood with my chainsaw, shoot my .30-06, drive my Jeep down the driveway, play with my dogs, you name it, and they won't even stop feeding or look in this direction. I never said anything about not being able to get close because of the conditions either so about now I'm thinking your drivel is getting just as fuggin lame as your reading comprehension.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You don't have the option of glassing game from afar and using the modern technology of a laser range finder and pricisely dialable scope to shoot a deer 500 - 1000 yards away across a canyon. You've got to get close because there ain't no way you're going to see or shoot it from afar. On the flip side of that, I've hunted the open farmlands of central NY many times with a slug gun. Sure I saw deer across big crop fields that were far out of slug range.

Different terrain types call for different strategies and different skill sets. It's a good idea to be well-versed in more than one of them.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
You don't have the option of glassing game from afar and using the modern technology of a laser range finder and pricisely dialable scope to shoot a deer 500 - 1000 yards away across a canyon. You've got to get close because there ain't no way you're going to see or shoot it from afar. On the flip side of that, I've hunted the open farmlands of central NY many times with a slug gun. Sure I saw deer across big crop fields that were far out of slug range.

Different terrain types call for different strategies and different skill sets. It's a good idea to be well-versed in more than one of them.
I suppose if the be all and end all is just killing something for you. Do you put any limits at all as to what technology is used or how far away you can kill something and still consider it fair chase ? Suppose for instance some sort of laser gun is in our future. No bullet drop, no wind drift to contend with. A range finder would be pretty superfluous then because no dialing would be required without drop or wind drift so you can just leave it at home.. Would it still be "fair chase" to situate yourself on a mountain overlooking a vast plain with powerful telescope, spot a deer 10 miles out and smoke it with your ACME super deer blaster laser gun ? Did that deer have a snowballs chance in hell of detecting you ? What if we just develop a personal human cloaking device so that game hasn't a chance of seeing, hearing or smelling you so you can just walk right up to any old buck and bash it's head in with a hammer ? Still fair chase ? How far should it go and at what point do you cease to be a "hunter" and become merely a killer ?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Jordan,
You're the voice of reason. It's refreshing.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It is always interesting to me how people react to being proven wrong on a subject when everyone knows you were wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, but there is something to be said, after being proven innaccurate, the proper response would be to admit it, own it, and get on with it and all the onlookers would get on with it as well. The other way to respond is obviously the way BH responded...cloud the issue with more bullcrap and admit nothing. Says all you really need to know if you think about it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Not going to even take a guess how much they have lost, but just for information sake I was in a new Scheels store yesterday. Huge scope display. Almost every scope brand I have known and several I wasn't familiar with, but NOT ONE LEUPOLD.

Really how amazing how they went from a leader too???.

Lefty C

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I suppose if the be all and end all is just killing something for you. Do you put any limits at all as to what technology is used or how far away you can kill something and still consider it fair chase ? Suppose for instance some sort of laser gun is in our future. No bullet drop, no wind drift to contend with. A range finder would be pretty superfluous then because no dialing would be required without drop or wind drift so you can just leave it at home.. Would it still be "fair chase" to situate yourself on a mountain overlooking a vast plain with powerful telescope, spot a deer 10 miles out and smoke it with your ACME super deer blaster laser gun ? Did that deer have a snowballs chance in hell of detecting you ? What if we just develop a personal human cloaking device so that game hasn't a chance of seeing, hearing or smelling you so you can just walk right up to any old buck and bash it's head in with a hammer ? Still fair chase ? How far should it go and at what point do you cease to be a "hunter" and become merely a killer ?

You have some serious issues to work out ...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You have a tiny mind.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by JGRaider
It is always interesting to me how people react to being proven wrong on a subject when everyone knows you were wrong. Nothing wrong with being wrong, but there is something to be said, after being proven innaccurate, the proper response would be to admit it, own it, and get on with it and all the onlookers would get on with it as well. The other way to respond is obviously the way BH responded...cloud the issue with more bullcrap and admit nothing. Says all you really need to know if you think about it.
What was I supposed to admit ? That you technology buffs would rather get further and further from being hunters and work dilligently burning up barrels and feverishly twisting turrets rather than having to stalk your game or heaven forbid, run across a buck/bull you just couldn't kill that day ? It almost seems like some of you don't really like to hunt all that much but sure do want to kill stuff and to hell with whether it's sporting or not.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did we get this one nailed down yet?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
What was I supposed to admit ?

Believe it was along the lines of you stating that your home hunting ground was just as rugged and steep as the country GregW and other mountain hunters in the West hunt in.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
What was I supposed to admit ?

Believe it was along the lines of you stating that your home hunting ground was just as rugged and steep as the country GregW and other mountain hunters in the West hunt in.
I never said it was "just as rugged" you perpetually dimwitted twit. What I did say is, and I quote "Admittedly our mountains aren't as big as the rockies but they're plenty steep and covered with dense forest."

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jackmountain

You have a tiny mind.

Says the guy who’s reading comprehension is so poor, that he though this was a thread about long range hunting.

If your scope doesn’t track correctly..... it doesn’t matter what range you’re shooting critters at.... your scope still doesn’t work the way it was intended, or expected.

If your scope doesn’t retain its zero.... then it doesn’t matter what range you’re shooting critters at.... your scope is defective.

I don’t know why that’s so hard to understand?

There are enough testimonies on here of Leupolds losing zero, not tracking correctly, and randomly schitting the bed..... to make a guy take a closer look at his Leupold.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What was I supposed to admit ? That you technology buffs would rather get further and further from being hunters and work dilligently burning up barrels and feverishly twisting turrets rather than having to stalk your game or heaven forbid, run across a buck/bull you just couldn't kill that day ? It almost seems like some of you don't really like to hunt all that much but sure do want to kill stuff and to hell with whether it's sporting or not.

Why does it have to be one or the other?

I like shooting steel and rocks and such..... my scope needs to work.

I’ve occasionally shot a critter over 1/4 mile away..... my scope needed to work.

I like hunting with a muzzleloader.... and killed a bull last fall with one.... my open-sights had to work.

I’ll even shoot a bow on occasion.... and the sights need to stay where I put them, or I miss.

Whether your scope works or not is the topic of the thread..... not some arbitrary range/hunting vendetta you saw the opportunity to pounce on. Hop off your Uber steep soap-Box, and apologize to some of the quality guys on this thread that you’ve pigeon-holed as long range snobs, and recognize that they’re hunters.... just like you.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
My Leupolds work fine. So do my Weavers, Nikons, Bushnells, Redfields and Bausch and Lombs. I have had several Tasco's a couple Bushnells a Simmons and a Sightron fail in one way or another but none on a hunt yet.

Page 11 of 28 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 27 28

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

241 members (1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 01Foreman400, 264mag, 204guy, 257heaven, 43 invisible), 2,177 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,974
Posts18,499,457
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.