-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started off with Fiocchi 9mm 124 grainers as a model. They use Hornady XTP's. These shot well in all my 9mms. I chronographed them, and then duplicated the load using Hodgon Universal powder. I also ran off 500 rounds of the same load topped with Lee 358-125-RF's to use as practice ammo. When I'm around the farm, I carry the cast lead. You just never know when a stump (or coyote) is going to need killing. When I'm out and about in the truck, I switch to the XTP's.

I have a similar thing going with my Ruger LCR. Again, I started with a Fiocchi load in 357 Magnum. However, the full-house 357 Mag was rather unpleasant. I knocked it down a little and used Universal for a powder. I ended up with a load that is considerably stiffer than a 38 Special, but not punishing to shoot. I knocked it down for KYHillChick's load a bit more. She carries a SP-101. Again-- XTP's for normal carry, and Lee 358-125-RF's for practice.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
GB1

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by night_owl

Not everyone believes the hole punch theory of handgun ballistics.

It’s not a theory. It’s literally the only damage observed in tissue with service handguns.

Originally Posted by Yondering

Wrong again about the Lehigh stuff and a lot of other bullets, as can be seen by shooting actual meat, but we've been over this before.

I’ve seen what a Lehigh does in tissue. Have you?

What actual meat? You mean the largest database of results from actual shooting in humans, the largest, most researched and peer reviewed terminal ballistics findings from the largest, most well funded, and resourced terminal ballistics facilities?

Or are we talking deer? Of which I have killed hundreds of, and dozens with 380, 9mm, 40 S&W, 357 Sig and Mag, 45 auto, 44 mag, and 454 Casull using FMJ, hardcast, and modern HP’s?

No, there is no magic to Lehighs. The wounds created are nearly indistinguishable from flat nosed FMJ’s.

If velocity increase in revolver do it increase damage, then why is the 357 mag more effective than the 38 Special?

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by jwp475
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
For my carry guns, I stick to traditional bullet designs. The best of them, but still nothing out of the main stream.

What does “traditional” bullet designs mean to you?

No Leighheighs, Underwoods or other "trick" or "gimmick" designs.

In other words, I have a preference for modern jacketed hollow points in typical for caliber bullets weights designed and tested by credible manufacturers.

There's nothing trick or gimmick about Lehighs or Underwoods. Some smart people spent a lot of time and money on research to prove their idea. And, there are 100 youtube videos to prove it, too.

I know. You don't watch youtube. It's fake. Right?

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Someone asked me once about my Faith, and I responded that I didn't need a God that was Omnipotent and Omnipresent. I could put up with a mediocre God. He could be right most of the time, and powerful under most circumstances and as long as He didn't mean me harm, I'd follow his commandments. That's kind of how I feel about CC guns and their effects on human beings.

Do I need the best penetrating, deadliest round? One shot kills? Dead right there? No. If I get motivated to shoot someone, it is because they are doing or about to do something really, really bad. All I want them to do is stop doing it. Death? It's an unfortunate side-effect, but it's sometimes for the best. When I shoot someone, all I care about making them worry about someone else besides me and mine. If he falls over dead? Fine. If he grabs himself and runs off? Fine--maybe even better. If he just falls down on the ground? That's cool. If I want ground meat, I'll stop by Krogers on the way home. That's not why I pulled the pistol in the first place.

That's not to say I'm a big fan of mouse guns. I stick with proper known effective chamberings-- 357 Mag, 9mm, 45 ACP. I use expanding bullets. I aim for the center of mass. Whatever happens, that first round is probably going to be the number one thing on the mind of receiver for the rest of the day-- possibly the rest of his life. If not, he gets another one and the process repeats until he is fully convinced of my sincerity.

I really didn't think hard about this for a long time. I didn't feel the need to carry concealed. I did have one need, and that was that when I drove down to deer camp on Friday nights, I really never knew who or what was inside camp until I'd gotten in and put on the lights. Just to be sure, I started carrying a P1-P38 with military ball ammo. Did I think this was the best self-defense gun? No, It was just what I had at the time, but I figured it would get me by. Perfect or not, I've been opening that door for 19 years and the Good Lord has protected me so far.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1badf350, 10gaugemag, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 16gage, 55 invisible), 2,965 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,968
Posts18,519,591
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.