Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by North61
I feel a bit sorry for Doug and Leupold on this one. This wasn't going to end well given the state of the strength of opinions on the subject. Doug comes across looking naive and probably damages his relationship with Leupold to boot. Leupold haters get to have a bigger field day and the poor sods who showed up from team Loopy probably damage their career's to some extent though I suspect it's also likely that 24 hour campfire members take their own reputation as "impossible to please" to a new height with management. Probably not the end game Doug was looking for.

I will continue to use Leupolds when I want a light weight option, but not without a bit of paranoia now, waiting for failures, that will likely not happen but waiting non the less.

"Leupold haters"? I highly doubt that it's a segment of guys who thought "hmmm, Leupold is a USA-based sport optics company that aligns very well with my hunting/shooting interests. Yup, I'm sure of it, I hate 'em".

What you are calling "Leupold haters" are predominantly regular guys like you and me that have had too many negative experiences with Leupold products to ignore. Most of them would really like to trust Leupold once again, but the company refuses to acknowledge and repair the major hurdles keeping these guys from doing so. I am one such individual. I would be happy to use Leupold riflescopes if I had the confidence in their function that I have in scopes like NF, SWFA, Bushy Elite Tac, etc. That doesn't seem "impossible to please" to me. I have no hate for Leupold, and I want them to come around and gain the reputation that they ought to have, and it frustrates me that they refuse to do what it takes. If NF can do it, so can Leupold. But they won't because they choose to look the other way.

Let us remember Leupold scopes starts at $199 while NF at $975. (Retail) . Is it realistic to expect the same quality?

Last edited by alwaysoutdoors; 07/10/19.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
What you are calling "Leupold haters" are predominantly regular guys like you and me that have had too many negative experiences with Leupold products to ignore. Most of them would really like to trust Leupold once again, but the company refuses to acknowledge and repair the major hurdles keeping these guys from doing so. I am one such individual. I would be happy to use Leupold riflescopes if I had the confidence in their function that I have in scopes like NF, SWFA, Bushy Elite Tac, etc. That doesn't seem "impossible to please" to me. I have no hate for Leupold, and I want them to come around and gain the reputation that they ought to have, and it frustrates me that they refuse to do what it takes. If NF can do it, so can Leupold. But they won't because they choose to look the other way.

This

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
They have the same issues being reported with their expensive scopes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have been a Leupold user and supporter for some 50 years. I do not consider myself a Leupold fanboy by any means. Gear I use has to impress me and work the way I want it to, or I don't use it regardless of brand. So a lot of this is kind of disturbing. I do not discount some of the problems continually reported, just that I never have had any of them. That said I'm not a dial twister and long range shooter. I'm more likely to be more typical of the average shooter, and more atypical of the long range segment. I do have a very accurate 7 mm RM. Might have to buy a Leupold dial twister and see that side of the issue for myself.

I'm glad the ownership question did come up early on. That was probably an expected result, and is likely truthful. If your company does tens of millions of $$ in business every year, and you hold stock in said company, it makes no sense to commit suicide. I wonder if Leupold is looking for a leaker?

I was quite disappointed in the video. It was rather amateurish. I said in an earlier post the results were likely dependent on who Leupold sent to the party. Those are probably two pretty reliable and knowledgeable fellows. But good speakers they are not. They did not look real comfortable doing the dance. Way too many "you know's" and "and and-uh's. Not a good presentation at all. They did not appear to rank high enough in the corporate structure to carry the required weight. Specific questions were not responded to adequately. To much "we make good stuff" in the presentation. Not any dealing face up with issues.

Some video of actual production of the various lines from start to finish would be a nice addition to the website. Some good diagrams of interior construction in the specification and description of the various scopes too.

I will say the stuff they had did look pretty stout ( I would expect nothing else). That said maybe there is more of a need to tighten quality control on the various bits and pieces and add some scrutiny to assembly. Just because it is made of beryllium copper alloy does not mean it was made right and all fits together properly. Not rocket science to deduce that if it does not fit right it won't dial right.

Steve

Theodore Roosevelt: "Do what you can where you are with what you have"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SKane
I've been a rather unabashed Leupold supporter since exiting the womb and I found the live piece so very wonderfully patronizing.

I'm not sure what their expectation was but I gave them hesitant props pro eo for venturing into this optics lions den.
What they're used to experiencing in these types of social-love events is expelling rainbows and unicorns with the hardest-pressing question received from participants is "dude, where can I get the sweet t-shirt you're wearing?"

A few months back I signed up for some chance-to-win thingy with a trio of brands - Leupold being one of them. In doing so, I had to fill out a questionnaire with a list of attributes I considered important in my equipment. I've since been sent a templated email (catering to my order of importance); "You've asked for reliability"; featuring the XXX rangefinder." And I'm sure I'll get one soon enough with the "You've asked for *fill-in-the-blank*; featuring the XXXXX". I'm sure there's some marketing eyes from Leupold on this thread so this is a head's up for them: Folks, your strategy is showing; you can bullszchit the fans but not the players. smile

That’s really well said...”You can bullschit the fans but not the players”

I’m stealing it...😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SteveC99
I do not discount some of the problems continually reported, just that I never have had any of them. That said I'm not a dial twister and long range shooter. I'm more likely to be more typical of the average shooter, and more atypical of the long range segment. I do have a very accurate 7 mm RM. Might have to buy a Leupold dial twister and see that side of the issue for myself.

I see a lot of comments similar to this one.

Guys- whether you dial or not, zero shift is real. I've seen it with several Leupolds, anywhere from 0.5-3 MOA shift between range sessions, between shots, between groups, etc. If you're not shooting small enough groups to notice a 0.5 or 1 MOA shift in POI, then you'll live in blissful ignorance, but not everyone is willing to overlook such a thing.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I've been a rather unabashed Leupold supporter since exiting the womb and I found the live piece so very wonderfully patronizing.

I'm not sure what their expectation was but I gave them hesitant props pro eo for venturing into this optics lions den.
What they're used to experiencing in these types of social-love events is expelling rainbows and unicorns with the hardest-pressing question received from participants is "dude, where can I get the sweet t-shirt you're wearing?"

A few months back I signed up for some chance-to-win thingy with a trio of brands - Leupold being one of them. In doing so, I had to fill out a questionnaire with a list of attributes I considered important in my equipment. I've since been sent a templated email (catering to my order of importance); "You've asked for reliability"; featuring the XXX rangefinder." And I'm sure I'll get one soon enough with the "You've asked for *fill-in-the-blank*; featuring the XXXXX". I'm sure there's some marketing eyes from Leupold on this thread so this is a head's up for them: Folks, your strategy is showing; you can bullszchit the fans but not the players. smile

That’s really well said...”You can bullschit the fans but not the players”

I’m stealing it...😬😎

+1

That's a good one, to the point and true...

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
live in blissful ignorance

BOOM!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Poorly done all-in-all. Lots of covering up the pile but leaving the stink.
I owned Leupolds for years and got rid of the last one about 15-18 years back. It had been mounted on a 'hard-kicking' 25-06 and then moved to an equally 'hard-kicking' 243. (<= that's sarcasm there) On both scopes I could get maybe 8-10 shots then the zero would float off. Sent it in and got it back saying they tightened something up. Still had the same problem. It was an older Vari-x III. Last one I ever owned.

I looked at the VX-5HD scopes a while back and opted to go elsewhere. I currently have scopes from Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski, Minox, Sig, Burris and Bushnell.

I listened to this again just now and made it about 27 minutes into it before I got tired of being talked down to. I'm rather disappointed in the whole thing. I was really hoping they would address the issues instead of just dodging. "We aren't going anywhere. We are going to continue making quality products." - made my BS meter go to about 11.

I do want to thank Doug and Rick for putting this together. I know they had NO control over how we were going to be treated. You gave them and us a chance, they screwed it up and totally missed the boat. Heck, they missed the dang river.

I wish Leupold luck in some day figuring this out. When or if, they do, they might go back to this video and this thread and see that this very well may have been the turning point that they missed.

For now, I'll stick with Doug and the scopes I have that work for me.

Thanks again to Doug and Rick for this attempt.

Last edited by Bbear; 07/10/19.

Support your local Friends of NRA - supporting Youth Shooting Sports for more than 20 years.

Neither guns nor Liberals have a brain.

Whatever you do, Pay it Forward. - Kids are the future of the hunting and shooting world.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Looks like the video was taken down. I wish I could have watched it.

Doug, thanks for doing this. Very nice of you to attempt this.

I recently bought the first scoped rifle I've had in a few years as I had been shooting iron sights. I was pretty set on a VX-5HD, but I found this place and another forum. I also read alot of Form's posts. I ended up with a different rifle and scope that I originally intended. I just wanted something that worked. I really feel like I got that. It's a shame, because I really try to buy American made when I can. I want something that works first.

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Uh-oh, recipes. That's a bad sign. Next it'll be logo-ed Leupold "stuff" like coolers, coffee mugs, Leupold Apparel, and other distractions.

Maybe a nice line of cookware?

And all made in China...

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The flat brimmed hat & tat's were a nice touch.... hahahahaha ....... duuude

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by North61
I feel a bit sorry for Doug and Leupold on this one. This wasn't going to end well given the state of the strength of opinions on the subject. Doug comes across looking naive and probably damages his relationship with Leupold to boot. Leupold haters get to have a bigger field day and the poor sods who showed up from team Loopy probably damage their career's to some extent though I suspect it's also likely that 24 hour campfire members take their own reputation as "impossible to please" to a new height with management. Probably not the end game Doug was looking for.

I will continue to use Leupolds when I want a light weight option, but not without a bit of paranoia now, waiting for failures, that will likely not happen but waiting non the less.

All Leupold had to do was read any number of threads archived on the 24HCF. There’s no excuse for them not knowing what they were getting into.

Originally Posted by CP
I think the Leupold representatives in this presentation genuinely believe their products are beyond reproach and that their customer’s issues are merely predicated on baseless myths. They are in denial, and they are not gong to address problems that they believe don’t even exist. Too bad, but that is where they are... CP.

Well put and from a perspective Leupold should understand—epistemological...

Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by irfubar
I think the most disappointing part is they seemed to talk down to us...... I believe the campfire has many extremely accomplished shooters and we aren't the general shooting public... but they lumped us in with that group.

Typical tour guide narcissism.... smile

LOL

Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
I ordered the burger, but, had to send it back, like six times, because they couldn't get it right. Then they told me I didn't know what a good burger is or how to eat it. Wow, I doubt I will try another!

IT WAS ONLY THREE TIMES...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Folks, your strategy is showing; you can bullszchit the fans but not the players. smile

BOOM!!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by irfubar
The flat brimmed hat & tat's were a nice touch.... hahahahaha ....... duuude

..Just the kind of mustaches one would imagine wrapped around a field-to-table Elk-Ahuna Burger.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by kingston
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Uh-oh, recipes. That's a bad sign. Next it'll be logo-ed Leupold "stuff" like coolers, coffee mugs, Leupold Apparel, and other distractions.

Maybe a nice line of cookware?

And all made in China...

Works for Vortex! grin What a farce that presentation was. That's being nice about it.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leupold is a lifestyle brand...

SMFH.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
The lord of the rings scope maker sure showed their true colors.

Admit nothing...
Deny everything....
Make counteraccusations....

Anybody that seen that fiasco and thinks otherwise is smoking crack....

You would have ta have some real heavy duty blinders on to think that leupold is a trust worthy company...........

Last edited by renegade50; 07/10/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
They were real quick to start their presentation, defending the story about family board members being a bunch of snowflakes regarding military contracts, their controversy about making scopes used to kill people.

I don't think that info appeared out of nowhere, developed in a vacuum. Ya just can't make that kinda stuff up. Where there's smoke... shocked

I wasn't impressed with their demeanor, appearance, attitude or presentation. They were definitely talking down to us, IMO

Turned out just about like we suspected.

I do appreciate Doug and those who at least tried.

DF

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,704
Posts18,494,316
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.