Hop To
Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WAM
Look on the Elk Hunting blog. Overwhelming bubbas use L scopes on open country elk rifles. Not I, said the Little Red Hen....

Dang you’re cooool.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Started upgrading all my scopes about 10-12 years ago as my 70's era stuff, no Leupolds, while functional, had become clearly clearly inferior to the new stuff. I have changed almost everything over to Leupolds, 2 of their 100th anniversary models, 2 Euros, a couple rimfire models, several FX2 & 3 straight powers, and a couple older used M8's. Several of these have been hunted pretty hard, others "shot hard at the range, still waiting for the first problem, let alone failure. Ditto for the Leup QR systems.
Only other brand I own is a couple of Nikons due to their fixed 5" eye relief feature.
I continue to be a fan of Leupold products.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by Youper
I'm still waiting on my first Leupold failure.

Nightforce et al. are not an option due to cost.

The only Leupold problem I consistently run into is the locking nut of the ocular bell won't stay tight on many of my Leupolds. Were they to fix that I'd be completely happy.

Are they the newer dual erector spring models or older ones?

So do you feel going to the dual erector system was a beneficial move or not ?

No idea. In theory, it should be better. Design is one thing. Execution another. And just adding another spring might not be all the design change needed. I should say, it's not like I've looked at and compared them though. Just speculating. I am not an optics guru.

My question was just trying to ferret more details from Youper. Since he hasn't experienced or noticed any issues, I'm curious about details like what model, age, rifle/chambering and whatnot. Does it get shot a lot, etc. Some feel that the older scopes are better, and that quality of production and materials went down. But others claim it's the design. Some probably feel it is both.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Of all my scopes I’ve only had 2 Leupolds go down.
A 1.5x5 and a 3.5x10 - they are fine now.
I’ve owned even less Vortex and have had both of them go bad- they replaced both with upgrades
I’ve got a ton of Mark 4’s, was thinking of selling some of them to fund a Tangent Theta.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Cracks me up.... all these “I’m still going to use Leupold” guys.... saying “I’ve had 20-30 Leupolds... and have only sent 1 or 2 back”.

Well.... let’s be conservative.... and call it 1 in 20.... that’s still 5%..... OR.... 25 TIMES Leupold’s claim of “2 in 1000”!!!

Then.... if only half those scopes “actually needed repair” that would still be 62 TIMES Leupold’s claim of 2%.

Cool... still use Leupolds.... I still use a couple.

But... I’ll always remember those pompous corporate ass-monkeys pissing on my head, and telling me it was raining.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, those two company dudes "cooked the books" with those numbers, IMO.

My personal stats are higher than what they quoted, and I'm probably easier on my stuff than the average..

Oh well.

DF

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by WAM
Look on the Elk Hunting blog. Overwhelming bubbas use L scopes on open country elk rifles. Not I, said the Little Red Hen....

Is there meaning here?

No, just a line from a children’s story. Might be appropriate for some smart asses on here.

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by WAM

Dang you’re cooool.

Oh, but not nearly as cool as you Montucky dudes! LOL!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So if you use a Leupold you are a bubba? What do you consider a bubba to be?

laissez les bons temps rouler
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by WAM

Is there meaning here?

No, just a line from a children’s story. Might be appropriate for some smart asses on here.

Still makes zero sense? WTF are you trying to say?

What is "the Elk Hunting blog?"

What is "Overwhelming bubbas?"

I lived in Washington for three years but haven't a clue what your message is.

Is there meaning in, "Not I, said the Little Red Hen?" What red hen? Never heard of a talking hen. Who is she talking to? What's it have to do with hunting optics, riflescopes or Leupold? SWFA has a chicken on their scope, is your comment about Texans?

Keywords: Leupold, failure, bullchit, Beaverton, Oregon, POI, RTZ, lie, cheeseburger, pot, outsource, peckerhead, condescending, pricks, tour guide, customer, service, warranty, broken, erector, inconsistent, $12/hour,

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
MtBoomer,
Let me help you out here. The little red hen is talking to a cat, dog and a duck, about working with regards planting, growing, harvesting, taking to market, baking and finally eating wheat. The little red hen fable has no application to hunting optics, rifle scopes, Leupold, SWFA chickens or Texas.

I hope this helps in some way.

Bubba

Last edited by battue; 07/14/19.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
I'm still waiting on my first Leupold failure.

Nightforce et al. are not an option due to cost.

The only Leupold problem I consistently run into is the locking nut of the ocular bell won't stay tight on many of my Leupolds. Were they to fix that I'd be completely happy.

Are they the newer dual erector spring models or older ones?

So do you feel going to the dual erector system was a beneficial move or not ?

No idea. In theory, it should be better. Design is one thing. Execution another. And just adding another spring might not be all the design change needed. I should say, it's not like I've looked at and compared them though. Just speculating. I am not an optics guru.

My question was just trying to ferret more details from Youper. Since he hasn't experienced or noticed any issues, I'm curious about details like what model, age, rifle/chambering and whatnot. Does it get shot a lot, etc. Some feel that the older scopes are better, and that quality of production and materials went down. But others claim it's the design. Some probably feel it is both.

The three I've shot the most are: A 3-9x40 VX-II from 2005 on a .30-'06 for 2450 rounds, an M8 6x42 from the 90's on a .223 for 2096 rounds, and a FX-3 from 2007 or 2008 on a 8x57 for 1186 rounds.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Thanks battue. That Little Red Hen seems like a real hoot, hanging out with a duck, dog, and cat. Much appreciated.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by WAM
Originally Posted by Timbermaster
Originally Posted by WAM

Dang you’re cooool.

Oh, but not nearly as cool as you Montucky dudes! LOL!

At least you know a minimum of one thing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Boomer,
What I was attempting to communicate was that a great number of hunters on the Elk Hunting forum of 24hcf say that they use Leupold scopes on their open country elk rifles. My feeble attempt at humor obviously failed.
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...open-country-elk-rifle-wear#Post13917585

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

The three I've shot the most are: A 3-9x40 VX-II from 2005 on a .30-'06 for 2450 rounds, an M8 6x42 from the 90's on a .223 for 2096 rounds, and a FX-3 from 2007 or 2008 on a 8x57 for 1186 rounds.

Thanks Youper! Didn't think you were going to chime in on that. Might I indulge in one more question? What bullet weights do you mostly shoot in the .30-06 and 8x57?

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
So if you use a Leupold you are a bubba? What do you consider a bubba to be?
I think it's anybody who uses any scope other than a NightForce or SWFA , doesn't twist turrets and lives/hunts East of the Mississippi. Only Western natives who hunt West of the Mississipi and twist turrets on their tactica; scopes can be truly skilled, knowledgeable hunters/riflemen.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I see little reason to make generalizations about the whole, because of the few. However, differences in location and terrain, most definitely may make valid reasons for a different opinion on what works.

You easily make do with levers, iron sights and the .30/30. While all may also work out west, they are not the best option for obvious reasons.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Cracks me up.... all these “I’m still going to use Leupold” guys.... saying “I’ve had 20-30 Leupolds... and have only sent 1 or 2 back”.

Well.... let’s be conservative.... and call it 1 in 20.... that’s still 5%..... OR.... 25 TIMES Leupold’s claim of “2 in 1000”!!!

Then.... if only half those scopes “actually needed repair” that would still be 62 TIMES Leupold’s claim of 2%.

Cool... still use Leupolds.... I still use a couple.

But... I’ll always remember those pompous corporate ass-monkeys pissing on my head, and telling me it was raining.

I think there are a number of older guys, like me, who use their scopes "set and forget", and who over the years have acquired a good number of Leupolds. As long as they are holding zero, many of us are not inclined to spend a lot of money replacing with scopes that dial more accurately, because that is a feature we don't need and won't use. In addition, Leupold Customer Service used to be pretty good about fixing any issues that did crop up. (I don't know if they still fix things well. The last two issues I had involved binoculars. One was my fault and I told them so. Both times resulted in replacement.)

But that doesn't mean we are stupid, uninformed, are happy with the "tactical" look of the new models, or appreciate, anymore than you do, the condescending nature of that webinar. (I actually didn't see it, but I'm willing to go with the consensus that is was a goat rope.)

Just because we are not going to rush out and replace scopes that have so far served us well (not fog and hold zero) doesn't mean we are going to rush out and buy more of the new ones. Like I said, when I was in the market for a scope to dial, I listened to the experienced guys here and bought a SWFA.

Point is "I'm still going to use the Leupolds I have that are working well" is not blind brand loyalty. It is just being practical.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/14/19.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Pretty much sums up where I'm at.

Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1minute, 160user, 1badf350, 257 mag, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 62 invisible), 2,405 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,184
Posts18,503,326
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.