Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by carbon12
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
I think dogs do better on wild food but most can not afford it.

As Billinghurst says, commercial dog food is designed to keep a dog alive without "appearing" to cause ill health in the short term. The damage it causes is, rather, done over time in the form of premature degenerative disease and death several years earlier than should have been the case.

I see it as; pay for the food you can best afford now so you may avoid paying for the dog's degenerative disease health care prematurely and for a longer duration.

Yep.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
GB1

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Six pages.

Wowsa.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Six pages.

Wowsa.

Thirteen, by my count.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Meal almost never has any actual muscle meat in it. It's rendered tissues taken off stripped carcasses with heat and pressure, i.e., from what the human food facility cannot use (after the crap is taken that's used in potted meat for human consumption). Nothing at all like what we think of as meat.

Yes and no. There are as many meals as there are manufacturers. There is whole fish meal and fish carcass meal. There is chicken by-product meal, there is pork by-product meal and there is still pork meal (generally from dead animals). There's hydrolized DDG. Pea protein.

What I prefer in my formulations is

1) as many "whole" ingredients as possible. I'd rather see soybeans than isolated soy protein (but not much of either...).

2) a large variety of ingredients. Nutritionists are under an enormous amount of pressure from the operators and bean counters to reduce the number of ingredients in a formulation because it makes mixing quicker and inventory management, purchasing and logistics cheaper. But I have proven to my satisfaction that formulations with more ingredients perform better than those with four or five ingredients.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well....you know half of 13 is.........hmmm.

I am MAGA.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Dutch

Meal almost never has any actual muscle meat in it. It's rendered tissues taken off stripped carcasses with heat and pressure, i.e., from what the human food facility cannot use (after the crap is taken that's used in potted meat for human consumption). Nothing at all like what we think of as meat.

Yes and no. There are as many meals as there are manufacturers. There is whole fish meal and fish carcass meal. There is chicken by-product meal, there is pork by-product meal and there is still pork meal (generally from dead animals). There's hydrolized DDG. Pea protein.

1) as many "whole" ingredients as possible. I'd rather see soybeans than isolated soy protein (but not much of either...).

2) a large variety of ingredients. Nutritionists are under an enormous amount of pressure from the operators and bean counters to reduce the number of ingredients in a formulation because it makes mixing quicker and inventory management, purchasing and logistics cheaper. But I have proven to my satisfaction that formulations with more ingredients perform better than those with four or five ingredients.

Many many years ago I worked for Buitoni Foods in their IT department. We would create and generate inventory reports as one of our tasks. Powdered eggs, powdered this and that. We had an executive chef at HDqtrs. He was more a Chemist then a Chef. The good pasta they sold came from Italy . Hint.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dutch

How about this many?

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
This many ingredients would be optimum.

[Linked Image]

Image of dead rabbit. Seems to be some kind of new policy with Google that no images of dead game are capable of being embedded elsewhere.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oakster
Don't almost all the field trial guys and breeders feed Purina Pro Plan? I fed my 10.5 year old lab Taste of the Wild his whole life and he has been healthy until his recent diagnosis with an aggressive Sarcoma form of Cancer that is going to take him too early. He has been an all star that draws raves from the vets and other hunters for his lean look, build and athleticism. My young one is on Pro Plan which is not on the list to my knowledge.

I had a Golden Retriever on Iams. When I got her as a puppy her Grandfather was 18 years old(incredible) and her mom and dad were 6 years old. My Dog was diagnosed with kidney disease at 10 years old , we had to put her down a year or so later. Phugg Iams and Purina horsechitt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We feed our 3 Shepards Costco's Kirkland Natures Domain as recommended by our dog trainer. We free feed them the dry food, but they don't eat a whole bunch of it. For breakfast they typically get scrambled eggs, a cup of oatmeal and 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. Their dinner is usually rotisserie chickens my wife picks up after work which we de-bone first.
In the fall they get lots of venison, sometimes raw but more often cooked. Always a peanut butter ball for desert. And on weekends they get sardines for snacks.
Their favorite dinner, by far, is 'Raising Cane's' chicken fingers. They can make short work of a forty pack.
But, hey, we're those crazy dog people who like our dogs more than our children. After all, the dogs are always happy to see me and never ask for money. laugh

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by skeen
We feed our 3 Shepards Costco's Kirkland Natures Domain as recommended by our dog trainer. We free feed them the dry food, but they don't eat a whole bunch of it. For breakfast they typically get scrambled eggs, a cup of oatmeal and 1/2 cup of plain yogurt. Their dinner is usually rotisserie chickens my wife picks up after work which we de-bone first.
In the fall they get lots of venison, sometimes raw but more often cooked. Always a peanut butter ball for desert. And on weekends they get sardines for snacks.
Their favorite dinner, by far, is 'Raising Cane's' chicken fingers. They can make short work of a forty pack.
But, hey, we're those crazy dog people who like our dogs more than our children. After all, the dogs are always happy to see me and never ask for money. laugh

They need variety in their diet and just feeding them Kibble IMHO will not do it, no matter how good it is.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Goes somewhat against my premise, but the longest lived dog I ever had was the Chihuahua we bought as a puppy when I was three. She finally had to be put down when I was 21 (could finally no longer walk, and was, by that point, almost completely blind, too). She ate, almost exclusively, table scraps throughout her life.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
There's a lot of garbage out there marketed to the soccer mom, fur-baby crowd. Grain free this, organic that marketing BS. I raise and train performance dogs and feed what almost all of the top retriever and pointer field trial trainers feed.

If you have a working dog, feed a quality 30/20 feed from Victor, Purina or Eukanuba. My working labs get 3-4 cups a day.

If you have a couch potato house dog, feed the same thing, just less of it so Fido doesn't become obese, like most pet dogs. If you get down to 2 cups a day (for a 50-75 pound dog) and he's still fat, drop to a lower protein/fat food. But avoid the designer labels and grain-free formulas. Just feed good feed from an established company with a long track record.

It ain't rocket surgery. Don't overthink it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had couch potatoes and too much protein caused evil farts. So store brand Purina. Also has more bulk to prevent constipation. Very little is more pathetic than a constipated dog. My favorite vet was dead set against ANY people food. First what's nutritionally sound for people isn't necessarily sound for dogs. Secondly he saw a lot of obese dogs being killed with kindness. I disagree in part, after us big dogs ate the lesser dogs, if they didn't beg got to eat. But only a tidbit to acknowledge them as pack members in good standing.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I'm doing the raw diet from a local distributor. Frequently, I'll mix in tuna, cooked salmon and extra veggies. In a pinch, if I need dry food, it's always Orijen or Acana

I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery - Thomas Jefferson
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Hookset
There's a lot of garbage out there marketed to the soccer mom, fur-baby crowd. Grain free this, organic that marketing BS. I raise and train performance dogs and feed what almost all of the top retriever and pointer field trial trainers feed.

If you have a working dog, feed a quality 30/20 feed from Victor, Purina or Eukanuba. My working labs get 3-4 cups a day.

If you have a couch potato house dog, feed the same thing, just less of it so Fido doesn't become obese, like most pet dogs. If you get down to 2 cups a day (for a 50-75 pound dog) and he's still fat, drop to a lower protein/fat food. But avoid the designer labels and grain-free formulas. Just feed good feed from an established company with a long track record.

It ain't rocket surgery. Don't overthink it.

I have run all age pointing dogs my whole adult life. and about 40 years ago I did the research from ground zero to see what would help them out. It came down to roughly 20% digestible protein and 15% or so fat with the rest made up in carbs. Supplement with fat and bump the supplements when the dogs work a lot. Feed an extra meal at noon on work days to get enough calories into them to keep them going. For a machine like an all age pointing dog you basically need to feed them like a Tour de France racer. Get as much calories in easy (quick) to digest carbs into them as they will take and keep the protein down to a minimum because it takes too much water through the kidneys to get rid of the nitrogen, and when the go low on water they overheat in a hurry and the consequences of that are not good on a dog carrying about zero fat. Fat and carbs are very helpful. Converting protein to energy is water intensive and getting rid of the by products of that conversion takes more water if you want to avoid damage to the dog.

Purina maintains that dog food research lab down in Iowa for a very good reason and they do some damn good work there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
There needs to be a lot more testing before I am going to get worked up over the FDA's report. They implicate a brand, but disregard that brand may have over a dozen different formulas. Shadow will continue to get NutriSource Seafood Select. Made in the USA by a company that has never suffered a recall.

This is an interesting relevant read that poses serious questions about the study.

https://medium.com/@danielschulof_18279/bad-science-and-big-business-are-behind-the-biggest-pet-food-story-in-a-decade-5cdafae7be77

Two huge takeaways.

The study was not peer reviewed, and the authors of the study have financial ties to grain containing dog food companies.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I like Stihl

Is that for your "Husky?"

I'll show myself out....

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (12344mag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 58 invisible), 2,479 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,409
Posts18,470,334
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.