Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Big, bold and impossible to be wrong.
Who living, dead otherwise served as your inspiration to learn all you can and apply this skill to hunt Big Game.
My Uncle Gabe was my lofty hero, depression raised, meticulous with his duties either while handloading and shooting or assessing an approach to a Bull Elk....and don't waste any meat! Keep the quarters clean and make sure everthing was salvaged.
I wouldn't dare disappoint this man.
Hey and our handloads with mil surp powders were generous , partially directed by a load manual. ( I still have them all)
Mostly directly by his attention to detail.
Quite a man, long gone but hammerd home in my memory.- for ever.Cheers.
What about you?
Maybe it was a writer like Jack, Elmer , or further back to Townie? Perhaps John is your man! Or maybe someone else drew you into Big Game hunting.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Fred Bear !

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I still kinda go back to reading Hagel as a young kid and loving his sensibilities of the fast 7’s, 300’s and 338’s for hunting. Loved his writing. Not a poetic type but I liked the way he rolled. Ross Seyfried was my other influence on what I liked for shooting and hunting and especially the big bore revolvers. I kinda think Hagel and Seyfried were pretty similar in their BG rifle and cartridge selections since they seemed to be pretty big EK students as well.

As far as hunting, I am lucky in that my elk hunting partner is 73 years young this year and we’re attacking Wyoming and Idaho this fall again and getting after elk again. We’ve covered a lot of ground together and had some empty meat poles but by and large we typically find and kill elk.

Semper Fi
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I was young my Grandma gave me my Great Grandfathers Wally Taber books. I became fascinated with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Wally Taber. That's brings back a memory. He used to come through my home town (Meadviile, PA) in the 1970s with his films and show. He was entertaining.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Little Stick right here on the fire......there’s not even a close second.

PennDog

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I learned quite a lot about hunting mule deer in Colorado from a Korean War veteran named Joe Adorjon. He hunted with a well used German 7.9mm rifle that was a WWII surplus rifle. Joe rarely shot a buck beyond 100 yards. He also hunted elk and antelope with this iron sighted rifle. The original military sights had been professionally replaced with modern receiver sight and front sight featuring a white bead. Joe taught me about watching the wind direction and using the terrain to get close for a sure shot. During the war, Joe had been behind enemy lines twice and knew how to use concealment and cover. He was the greatest hunter that I've ever known.

During these hunts together, I carried a Marlin 30-30 with 4X Redfield scope which Joe admired. I killed my first elk (fat cow) with this outfit under Joe's supervision.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Jim Corbett

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim Corbett was a great HUNTER and I still reread all his books periodically.

But he did NOT know all that much about rifles, to the point where he often didn't fire a rifle UNTIL he went hunting. Did a recent piece on this in RIFLE LOONY NEWS (which will appear in the upcoming GUN GACK III). He trusted the British gunmakers of the time to produce rifles that were perfectly sighted-in with multi-leaf open sights to several hundred yards. And sometimes they were not, especially those sighted-in at a factory in Great Britain and then used in the Himalayas.

My nomination might be W.D.M Bell, who not only was a great hunter, but knew rifles. He tested EVERY rifle he ordered himself, and modified the sights so that rifle shot correctly.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I would also include Theodore S. Van Dyke, author of THE STILL-HUNTER, originally published in 1904. Any close-cover hunter who hasn't read this is at a disadvantage.

Of course, the definition of "still" hunting has varied over the decades, including regionally. In Van Dyke's day it meant moving slowly through the woods, with frequent stops, but now it can mean sitting in a stand--and Van Dyke's still-hunting is often called "stalking," especially in the South.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Karamojo would be my pick for greatest hunter ever but the OP was a bit ambiguous. The title says greatest hunter but his opening post implies the hunter that influenced you the most.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No personal mentors. My friend and I learned by ourselves.

Writers? Probably Bob Milek and for adventure, Jim Carmichael.

Skeeter Skelton was a favorite, a shooting writer who hunted. He could spin a good yarn, think of "Me and Joe".

Bob Hagel was a reloader who wrote common sense, but now some say his loads were hot.

Peter Hathaway Capstick entertained with stories of maneaters.

John Wooters mostly bored me with white tails, white tails and more white tails, but he sure got my attention when he wrote about crawling through the riverine bush along the Rio Grande hunting wild bulls with elephant guns.

Russell Thornberry lived in Alberta and wrote well about hunting in my province. He proved that rattling antlers worked here.

The greatest writer of my time is Craig Boddington. Great Hunter and a very nice man. I'm proud to say I've met him.

John Barsness is a very well rounded writer. Loads of common sense and writes well without talking down to his reader. I've met John and Elaine at SCI. Very nice couple.

I miss Gary Sitton. He was taken too soon.

Layne Simpson is a favorite.

I've had many influences.

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Grancel Fitz

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Carlos Hathcock

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Chuck Mawhinney isn't bad either, and continues to hunt elk with many of the same skills he learned both before and after his military career. Got to know him some while doing an article a few years ago. An excellent hunter, who also knows a LOT about rifles.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jim Corbett was a great HUNTER and I still reread all his books periodically.

But he did NOT know all that much about rifles, to the point where he often didn't fire a rifle UNTIL he went hunting. Did a recent piece on this in RIFLE LOONY NEWS (which will appear in the upcoming GUN GACK III). He trusted the British gunmakers of the time to produce rifles that were perfectly sighted-in with multi-leaf open sights to several hundred yards. And sometimes they were not, especially those sighted-in at a factory in Great Britain and then used in the Himalayas.

My nomination might be W.D.M Bell, who not only was a great hunter, but knew rifles. He tested EVERY rifle he ordered himself, and modified the sights so that rifle shot correctly.

You are absolutely right Juan. Corbett trusted his equipment a bit much and on occasion only carried 3 shells....As a hunter I think he has no equal, as a firearms guy/hunter combo...not so much...definite edge is to Bell on that one. Bell for sure had more experience on game, and as I'm sure you know, neither man was to be trifled with. Corbett taught jungle fighting tactics to soldiers in the campaign at Burma, and Bell flew in WW I. All we have is pictures but Corbett appeared to be a mild mannered unassuming man, Bell seemed to emanate the concept of "Alpha"....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Carlos Hathcock

Nice

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Larry Benoit was probably one of the best deer hunters that ever lived. Though in the book "Big Bucks the Benoit Way" he says his oldest son Lanny had surpassed him and was probably the best deer hunter alive at that time. However, there are many truly fabulous hunters out there who you'll never hear about. I know a couple here who are unbelieveably good but are quite secretive and modest about it for one reason or another.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For pure, unmitigated hunting prowess, I will go with Corbett as well. Though, as previously mentioned, he wasn't much of a rifle loony.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Teddy Roosevelt, the original big stick.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

When it comes to hunting with superb guys and sharing a campfire with wonderful folks, it would be almost impossible to beat our own Johnny B and John Haviland.

And my late brother-at-arms, Chub Eastman.

Fantastic hunters, all.

Blessings,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
comerade;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the summer has been going well for you folks out east and that you've been getting a reprieve from the last few years of fire season as we are this summer.

As I've mentioned often here before, I grew up in a land which no longer exists in that pretty much everyone I knew was a hunter or at very least had firearms about and shot things.

My late father and long gone favorite Uncle Frank would go on an annual moose hunt into "the bush" in east central Saskatchewan every fall and the family joke is that I was conceived when Dad returned one year, albeit without a moose.

Uncle Frank used to tease him and say, "You can't say you didn't get anything that year Fred - look at Dwayne here!" and then they'd both laugh and laugh - much to the embarrassment of any of the female members of the family present. laugh

Since I'm the youngest, my siblings tell me that as early as 3, I began to want to go along on the annual hunts with them and though my brother who is 9 years older than me did go a couple times, he's never been a hunter, though he did hunt for a few years - if that makes any sense?

So for me hunting was something that was as natural and normal as milking the cow, feeding the chickens and pigs or shoveling snow for half the year - nearly everybody in Saskatchewan did that and so did I!

As far as specific hunting mentors however, I'd have to say that a cousin of mine from Medicine Hat showed me the light on careful sighting in your arm of choice, whitetail techniques and the use of good optics.

Writers who influenced me? Goodness sir if you could see my library - and I'll note I need to build more shelves or start selling books - that's a tough one. In the spirit of full disclosure, before I typed this response I slithered back downstairs and with a pen wrote down the authors I've got entire books from which include:
- Olaus Murie
- Russell Thornberry - a Texan who I believe is still in Alberta
- Michael Crammond - a BC writer who wasn't that bad actually - if you ever get out this way I'd lend you the books - but they're hard to find hard covers that I lucked into from way back in the day.
- Peter Hathaway Capstick - I know it likely wasn't him always, but my goodness I enjoy his story telling!
- Wayne Van Zwoll - underrated in my view, with an understandable, lucid manner of conveying information
- Jack O'Connor
- Skeeter Skelton - not exactly a lot of hunting, but a great story teller all the same
- Ortega y Gasset
- Robert Ruark - my liver and kidneys ache just reading his safari book....
- Jim Zumbo
- Zane Grey - one can tell he liked to fish more than hunt, but still an interesting sound bite of the times
- Clyde Ormand
- Elmer Keith - again entertaining style, but I got the impression he wasn't easy to be around at all times.
- Lawrence Koller
- John Barsness - I believe I've got everything in print that's still available from John
- Eileen Clarke - while not exactly hunting per se, her two books "Slice of the Wild" and "Sausage Season" are what I recommend to beginning hunters more often than any other book - but that's almost another thread.... wink

Overall I'd say for sure John's writing has had the greatest impact on how I hunt and attempt to pass that knowledge on to other hunters when I'm either teaching a Hunter Safety Course or plain old mentoring/discussing the subject with them. A big part of that for me however is that John writes in a language which I understand - he's from Montana and as you know western Canada and the western states have much in common in the way we communicate and articulate our thoughts.

That and John has been gracious enough to answer many of my queries over the years either through email or PM's here - something I have always been grateful for.

My goodness I see I've typed a whole bunch and perhaps not adequately answered your question, but I hope so somewhat at least.

Finally comerade, at my stage of life now, I'm hoping that at some point in the future if there's still hunting and forums such as this exist in whatever form, when the question comes up someone will be able to say that a little bald guy with a big mustache from OK Falls was helpful for them when they started hunting.

If that happens, then I'll have accomplished what I'm endeavoring to do, you know?

All the best to you folks for the rest of the summer sir, may the fire season miss us altogether and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/21/19. Reason: forgot one

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=PennDog]Little Stick right here on the fire......there’s not even a close second. [quote]

Shirley, you jest !! sick shocked confused

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/21/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My family hunted but upland game was their passion. Deer, eh, yeah, my dad would buy a tag and sometimes he'd even go. laugh

I began chasing deer in my youth with a bow because back then you couldn't rifle deer hunt until you were 14 years old. So the books I had and read over and over as a preteen were by Fred Bear and Chuck Adams. Later I read about Larry Benoit's exploits and dreamed of tracking big bucks in the snowy woods of the north.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Herb Klein or Elgin Gates

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Sealious and Sir Samuel Baker.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
My brother's best friend has hunted the world over and has a very impressive collection of trophy mounts. He has the money and time to hunt the very best trophy areas every year. You might think he was a great hunter if you visited his home and saw all his trophy mounts but I have deer hunted with him here many times and he is no great shakes at all. In fact, I would be hard pressed to say he is any better than average.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Thanks, Dwayne!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
W.D.M Bell then Corbett

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/21/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackheart
My brother's best friend has hunted the world over and has a very impressive collection of trophy mounts. He has the money and time to hunt the very best trophy areas every year. You might think he was a great hunter if you visited his home and saw all his trophy mounts but I have deer hunted with him here many times and he is no great shakes at all. In fact, I would be hard pressed to say he is any better than average.

Not shocked...I’ve had a few “Great Hunters” show up that quickly dispelled any truth to their actual skills from rifle handling, to shooting, to being in condition for the hunt ahead...Last years member-hunter who joined me not one of the above.

I did get a helluva laugh out of one hunter from Michigan who told me not to drop him off alone in the dark because the woods scared him...LMAO 😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BC30cal
comerade;
Top of the morning to you sir, I trust the summer has been going well for you folks out east and that you've been getting a reprieve from the last few years of fire season as we are this summer.

As I've mentioned often here before, I grew up in a land which no longer exists in that pretty much everyone I knew was a hunter or at very least had firearms about and shot things.

My late father and long gone favorite Uncle Frank would go on an annual moose hunt into "the bush" in east central Saskatchewan every fall and the family joke is that I was conceived when Dad returned one year, albeit without a moose.

Uncle Frank used to tease him and say, "You can't say you didn't get anything that year Fred - look at Dwayne here!" and then they'd both laugh and laugh - much to the embarrassment of any of the female members of the family present. laugh

Since I'm the youngest, my siblings tell me that as early as 3, I began to want to go along on the annual hunts with them and though my brother who is 9 years older than me did go a couple times, he's never been a hunter, though he did hunt for a few years - if that makes any sense?

So for me hunting was something that was as natural and normal as milking the cow, feeding the chickens and pigs or shoveling snow for half the year - nearly everybody in Saskatchewan did that and so did I!

As far as specific hunting mentors however, I'd have to say that a cousin of mine from Medicine Hat showed me the light on careful sighting in your arm of choice, whitetail techniques and the use of good optics.

Writers who influenced me? Goodness sir if you could see my library - and I'll note I need to build more shelves or start selling books - that's a tough one. In the spirit of full disclosure, before I typed this response I slithered back downstairs and with a pen wrote down the authors I've got entire books from which include:
- Olaus Murie
- Russell Thornberry - a Texan who I believe is still in Alberta
- Michael Crammond - a BC writer who wasn't that bad actually - if you ever get out this way I'd lend you the books - but they're hard to find hard covers that I lucked into from way back in the day.
- Peter Hathaway Capstick - I know it likely wasn't him always, but my goodness I enjoy his story telling!
- Wayne Van Zwoll - underrated in my view, with an understandable, lucid manner of conveying information
- Jack O'Connor
- Skeeter Skelton - not exactly a lot of hunting, but a great story teller all the same
- Ortega y Gasset
- Robert Ruark - my liver and kidneys ache just reading his safari book....
- Jim Zumbo
- Zane Grey - one can tell he liked to fish more than hunt, but still an interesting sound bite of the times
- Clyde Ormand
- Elmer Keith - again entertaining style, but I got the impression he wasn't easy to be around at all times.
- Lawrence Koller
- John Barsness - I believe I've got everything in print that's still available from John
- Eileen Clarke - while not exactly hunting per se, her two books "Slice of the Wild" and "Sausage Season" are what I recommend to beginning hunters more often than any other book - but that's almost another thread.... wink

Overall I'd say for sure John's writing has had the greatest impact on how I hunt and attempt to pass that knowledge on to other hunters when I'm either teaching a Hunter Safety Course or plain old mentoring/discussing the subject with them. A big part of that for me however is that John writes in a language which I understand - he's from Montana and as you know western Canada and the western states have much in common in the way we communicate and articulate our thoughts.

That and John has been gracious enough to answer many of my queries over the years either through email or PM's here - something I have always been grateful for.

My goodness I see I've typed a whole bunch and perhaps not adequately answered your question, but I hope so somewhat at least.

Finally comerade, at my stage of life now, I'm hoping that at some point in the future if there's still hunting and forums such as this exist in whatever form, when the question comes up someone will be able to say that a little bald guy with a big mustache from OK Falls was helpful for them when they started hunting.

If that happens, then I'll have accomplished what I'm endeavoring to do, you know?

All the best to you folks for the rest of the summer sir, may the fire season miss us altogether and good luck on your hunts this fall.

Dwayne

Well put , God Bless Dwayne.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
As a contemporary of mine was also a half assed relation.My age, and at the time we were in our early 20's.
We hunted together and he managed to put together the finances for a run down guide/ outfitting business. Robert built it up to a world class outfit and most of us worked for him in these early days- some of my greatest memories.
As time went on he would travel to hunt in our off season and was killed by a Cape Buffalo.
Sad to this day but the irony in it was clear ,because he had killed many Grizzlies for clients ( took many chances)and would always say and I quote" Someday ,I'm gonna get it"
He got it by pushing his uncle out of the way of a wounded buff while hunting antelope in Africa. His Uncle lived.
He had taken his favorite uncle with him.
He was the most observant hunter I have ever seen. Quite a guy.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Frank Billum who was one of the old traditional chiefs of the Ahtna Athabaskans was one of the best hunters that I have encountered. He didn't need much and would get a big moosk every year. His 30-30 was state of the art and he would dote on it like a favorite child or pet. He kept it in a very nice beaded moose-leather case. I once got up enough courage to ask him why he put so much love into a levergun that had an effective range of 125 yards. He said it was because it was a hell of a lot better than the muzzleloader he had before or the bows and arrows that he started with.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
comerade;
Thanks for the reply sir.

Interesting to know you were related to Bob - I recall very well when he was killed - my goodness though that was 2004 or so wasn't it?

I want to say it was after the Vaseaux Fire - we got evacuated for that one and were in the middle of a big house reno - anyway that was '03 and I thought Bob was killed after that, but I can't recall exactly when.

While I'd certainly heard of him and know a few folks that met him, I don't believe I did, though we might have been at a BCWF meeting together or something and not met.

Thanks again for the reply and all the best to you folks as we head into fall.

Dwayne

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Carlos Hathcock

AGREED X2 YES Carlos Hathcock with maybe FRED BEAR 2ND ? these 2 did it without braggin .

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Lots of great hunters listed. And no argument from me on any of them.

The greatest hunter I've ever known was a little female Brittany Spaniel named Mandy. Came to me fully trained because she didn't get along with toddlers and our friends, the folks who owned her, had two of them. In her eleven year career with me, she taught me more about bird hunting than I ever imagined. She had no quit and the heart of a lion. She was always ready to hunt, even when she got to where her legs wouldn't carry her for more than an hour. She'd hunt to exhaustion and do it all over again the next day if I'd let her. She'd retrieve a quail or a goose as big as her. She had no love for doves though. She'd go out and show me where they were but wouldn't pick them up. She taught me that her nose was far better than any method of perception I had and often found birds in cover so scant I'd swear no self respecting bird would ever use.

I know everyone is talking about people who influenced them, but little Mandy had as much impact on me as a hunter as any person I've ever known.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Geronimo.....

Have fun.....j3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have two uncles who taught me much about bringing home meat. Spent time hunting with them all through my childhood, and we never came home empty handed. Ducks, geese, deer, turkey, squirrels, rabbits, doves, quail, fish, and coons. Coyotes for practice and fun. One of these men was/is a commercial fisherman as well, and a fine cook to boot. Hunting is of little utility if you fail to turn the bounty into a tasty meal. My philosophy was shaped by these two men, and thus I am and have always been a meat hunter. We fished and hunted always for the table, and the one uncle fed his family and shared copiously with the rest of us for some lean financial years.

One of the best days of my life was the day everyone was at my grandmother’s house for Christmas, and she chose me to go out and get us some rabbits for the dinner. Not daring to disappoint, I took my only rifle, a Winchester 94 in 45 Colt, with a handful of my cast loads and brought back a limit of head shot rabbits in just under 2 hours. Grandpa asked what I used, and just smiled when I told him. The BBQ rabbit was delicious as always, but being seen as competent to get the meat on short notice in that family was a high honor, one that still gives me pleasure.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Growing up, Jack O'Connor is who I wanted to be as a hunter, but maybe more agreeable. Maybe because he hunted my kind of country--open, broken, wild, western. Coues in the Canelos, mule deer on the Kaibab, or jack rabbit in the Tortolitas, and he carried that same eye for the hunt around the world. It made me want to go. If he had hunted back east with his six buckets of corn and his slug gun--no thanks.

Greatest hunter is maybe an Eskimo in the Arctic winter. In no hurry, surviving with a rifle way too small. Or maybe he is a Tracker in Africa who can see sign that's not there. Maybe a fictional mountain man--hunting, trapping, trading--all the while, someone is trying to lift your hair. My thought would be Jim Corbett. His powers of observation, the physical toughness, and to get it done alone, in the dark, against the greatest hunters nature has.

Greater love has no one than this,that he lay down his life for his friends.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You're the man.....

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
comerade;
Thanks for the reply sir.

Interesting to know you were related to Bob - I recall very well when he was killed - my goodness though that was 2004 or so wasn't it?

I want to say it was after the Vaseaux Fire - we got evacuated for that one and were in the middle of a big house reno - anyway that was '03 and I thought Bob was killed after that, but I can't recall exactly when.

While I'd certainly heard of him and know a few folks that met him, I don't believe I did, though we might have been at a BCWF meeting together or something and not met.

Thanks again for the reply and all the best to you folks as we head into fall.

Dwayne

Just check in .I believe it was 2004. He was very active in the BC Wildlife Fed until he was registered as an outfitter. Bob was very political and very active with wildlife issues.
I miss him, his twin sister lives in town and his uncle Peewee recently passed away.
Time marches on. Take care

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Silver Bullet of Oregon.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_Inman

You're the man.....

T Inman;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the summer's been a good one for you in your part of the world and that you've had enough rain to make the fire season less sporty.

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it, but emphatically am still very much a work in progress on so many levels. blush

This spring marked my 30th year as a BC Hunter Safety instructor and someone asked me what had prompted me to start way back when. I knew/know exactly why I did/do it - it's because I love the life that hunting and hunters lead - I believe many of us are better people because we hunt.

When the day might come that someone asked me what I did to pass it along or to ensure it kept going, I wanted to be able to look them in the eye and honestly tell them I'd tried, you know?

Sorry that I can't articulate it better than that T - but I believe you get my drift? I've long felt it - hunting and it's inherent lifestyle - was something of value worth saving and passing on.

Some days it feels like I'm saddling up to tilt at a windmill, truly it does out here in BC where we're so run by the green influenced Greater Vancouver population, but then there's rays of hope that come along to make me start planning for the next session of classes.

One spring class not that long ago, there was this young fellow with a watch cap on, bearing races in his ears and a few extra chrome studs here and there along with enough ink to make a sailor take notice. Anyway he's the genuine antithesis of this 3/4 sized cowboy looking dude - but there he is in my class.

After one night he comes up to me and it telling me he's really into the "Locavore movement" and he says, "It dawned on me one day that you old time hunter guys have been doing that forever, so I was like - that's cool! I gotta do that too!!" laugh

Anyway T, thanks again and let's hope there's always something to hunt and folks who want to hunt it.

All the best to you sir as we ease into the fall.

Dwayne

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I look at the hunters who have tenacity on public land hunts without using a guide and score big.

They do their home work and pay their dues to score success.

Those are the greatest hunters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Francis E. Sell.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by roundoak
Francis E. Sell.

roundoak;
Good evening to you sir, I hope the weekend was a good one for you and this finds you well.

Years ago I worked with a lady who had that last name and as it's not that far from here to Oregon, I asked if she had any relatives who might have been hunting or firearms writers?

She laughed and said, "Oh you mean my husband's Uncle Frank don't you?" and proceeded to tell me a few stories about him. According to her he and his wife had a huge garden up until they were unable to keep it any longer and were family favorites - just salt of the earth kinda folks.

Anyway I thought I'd share that with you tonight sir. All the best to you folks as we head closer to fall.

Dwayne

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
AB2506 said, “No personal mentors” and that’s true for myself per Deer hunting.

My Dad started me squirrel and quail hunting as I got old enuff. In the 60-70s there weren’t
enuff Deer around here to waste your time hunting them. Today I have deer on my place and see them at my mineral trace salt block and HAVE had their tracks in my front yard.

I was grown and married before I started seriously deer hunting. I read everything I got my hands on about hunting, deer, elk, Turkey, et al. I learned ALOT from hunting writers and the rest was trial & error based on what I read.

I have books and magazines on many many subjects. I learned about “still” hunting,
(stalking) from Mr John Wooters. He described how to do it in understandable ways and
I tried it. The VERY first time I tried, I got a big old Doe in my scope, unfortunately she was illegal, but that gave me confidence that - I - could do it.

I honestly don’t think I could name “the best or greatest” in my opinion.
Many names have been mentioned that I’ve read and learned from. I appreciate ALL
of the ‘real’ hunters.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by ingwe
Jim Corbett

Same here. I read Man-Eaters of Kumaon when I was around ten years old and have reread it five or six times.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaboku68
Frank Billum who was one of the old traditional chiefs of the Ahtna Athabaskans was one of the best hunters that I have encountered. He didn't need much and would get a big moosk every year. His 30-30 was state of the art and he would dote on it like a favorite child or pet. He kept it in a very nice beaded moose-leather case. I once got up enough courage to ask him why he put so much love into a levergun that had an effective range of 125 yards. He said it was because it was a hell of a lot better than the muzzleloader he had before or the bows and arrows that he started with.

I can all but guarantee he had a greater effective range than 125 yards. I used to go 125 yards with my .44 Mag revolver. With my open sighted 30-30's I've killed past 200 yards.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C

I love these stories, reminds me of growing up.
I absorbed all I could, myself. I still wear wool and felt because I was told it would save my life one day.
I think I am old enough to have caught the end of many of the old ways. My Uncle Gabe, Kozy, Chiefy, Smokey.....just had to be a fly on the wall and listen....love this stuff

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'm surprised no one suggested Daniel Boone, but of the more recent contestants, I fully agree with Carlos Hathcock.

Daniel Boone - https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/1999/12/great-american-hunters-daniel-boone/

Carlos Hathcock (stalk and kill) - https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-xpm-1986-09-07-8603060789-story.html

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by moosemike

I can all but guarantee he had a greater effective range than 125 yards. I used to go 125 yards with my .44 Mag revolver. With my open sighted 30-30's I've killed past 200 yards.
Same here. 200 is no problem on deer with an open sighted .30-30. I've killed several between 200 and 250 and one at a little over 300 with mine. One shot each. Course that was 30 years ago when my eyesight was considerably better than it is today.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
John Buhmiller........Gun looney and hunter

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Always admired Bell's exploits.

And with Carlos it just depends on what one is hunting. whistle

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
You might want to research Chuck Mawhinney as well. He had more confirmed kills than Hathcock, but not as much publicity,

John Steinbeck
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by moosemike

He was 94 years old with failing eyes and body. He still could call a moosk with the best of them. He generally would cut a big bull's tracks and then just wait...sometimes for days... and then he would put a big 190 grain round nose where it mattered. Shooting and hunting are too different things. Frank was probably not ever headed to the 1000 yard matches but he sure could hunt for being an old man.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Then there's Charles Sheldon, the "Father of Denali."

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or Roy Chapman Andrews.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hathcock gets my vote for best hunter of men.

WDM Bell & Corbett in that order for best hunters of 4 legged critters

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or Carl Akeley.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or W.T. Hornaday.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Or W.T. Hornaday.

W.T. Hornady is an interesting choice.
He wrote " Campfires in the Canadian Rockies" while visiting our valley in 1905. Every serious hu ter and local history buff has this book, originals sell for 800 00 or so at hunting/ wildlife fundraisers. Mount Hornady is viewed from my kitchen window and the country he explored is still largely unroaded.
I believe the group killed 3 rams( one dandy), numerous goats and a couple of Grizzlies in Sept 1905.
You can get a reprint fairly cheaply these days.
John, you are probably away ahead of the curve on this man- far beyond my knowledge...I just thought I would pass this along. Cheers

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You might want to research Chuck Mawhinney as well. He had more confirmed kills than Hathcock, but not as much publicity,

A fact that a lot of people gloss over all the time.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ted Riggs comes to mind.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Corbett

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jim Carmichael, a fellow Tennessean.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My own Father.Wonderful woodsman and hunter. Cold fell large trees with a double bit ax quicker than most men with a chainsaw.

Could hit running deer with his 30-06 that were being chased through thick timber by hounds. Started taking me squirrel when I was barely six years old. I killed sixteen our first year with our dog brownie a border collie mix.

He was a veteran of World War Two and served in the Pacific. I was born when he was 48 years old and he poured his life into mine. He once saw an 18 year old thug armed with a butcher knife assaulting a young woman. Dad grabbed a broom and broke the handle off of it. He proceded to disarm the attacker,beat him into the ground,and hold him in a choke hold until Law Enforcement arrived.At the time he was 66 years old.

He squirrel hunted with a High Standard pistol,and he shot squirrels out of tall pines with it. He rabbit hunted with sling shot,and killed them running ahead of beagles with it.

Absolutely the best man and hunter I've ever seen.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
what about hal wahl
Alaska gives out medals to their top four guides
hal held number one medal

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm 63 and have every American Rifleman from 48 to date, just gave away 30 years of shooting times. Read every book and magazine I could get my hands on as a kid. So, all of the above have had roles in my hunting life. My Dad had a biggest influence on me as a child because he loved to hunt upland game, and living between several big farms in MD, we had lots of it. He gave me the desire to hunt, and taught me to appreciate, and manage game humanely. Bell and Corbet, or Corbet and Bell, can't pick. But, it's my shooting buddies that keep me on my toes. Most have shot one or more disciplines of target shooting. I shot High Power in Junior High in military academy. One of the first things I learned was if you shoot at a big target, you will probably hit a big target, shoot at a small target, hit a small target. Bullet placement on game is mandatory, not optional. Usually after punching holes in paper we get board and start calling out pebbles on the berm for the other guys to pluck off. Our new target of the day is a bottle cap tacked to the back board on my range. The cap isn't the target, the tack in the middle is. This may be a little off topic, but not really. As a group of friends we hold each other to a higher standard, we take a lot of game, and we do it as humanely as possible. My hunting buddies are my inspiration.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M

Chuck Mawhinney presented a sniper trophy to my partner and I one year. Very quiet humble gentleman.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very cool Mackay!!!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mackay Sagebrush,

That's good to hear! I have never met him personally, but talked to him several times extensively on the phone while doing an article on his military career a few years ago. That's exactly how he came across.

He's also still a very avid big game hunter.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
How about Clayton Mack?
He wrote a book called " White guys and Grizzly Bears". I found it entertaining and was written as he would of spoken.
It was highly entertaining, maybe stretched in places but Clayton was definitely experienced.
A fun read.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
don`t forget Carlos Hathcock shot leaders,generals, majors with one shot and many times alone . as two different snipers have told me Carlos Hathcock was the best and nobody in the world will ever be that good again. one of my friends was with Carlos Hathcock in Viet Nam and i get to hear stories you will never hear about. same with my good friend who was a ranger/sniper the first time America went over there to those sand countries for Bush senior. as said by this sniper one day i was eatin good food at the Whitehouse guarding the President at the Whitehouse ,the next mourning i was in a sand pit as a sniper for 40 some days eating those horrible MRE`S. this sniper said this about Carlos Hathcock he was the best and never will there ever be another sniper in the world as good as Carlos was. he also said he had respect for Chris Kyle too,but no respect for the actor Bradley Cooper he is a liberal gun hater and if Klye was alive he would be furious with Cooper who in real life hates all us gun people.

Last edited by pete53; 07/26/19.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a lot of respect for Carlos Hathcock, but I think if he was still with us he would say there are talented men as good, or better, who will carry on in his footsteps.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I have a lot of respect for Carlos Hathcock, but I think if he was still with us he would say there are talented men as good, or better, who will carry on in his footsteps.

I’d agree with that. Different era as well.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Paul Schaefer from Montana . Founder of silver tip bows

Shot all his trophy animals with a recurve. No one comes close

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/bowhunting/paul-schafer-part-1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If we were just talking about Bear & Mountain Lion Hunters, ole Ben Lilly would be right at the top!
He probably had no equal when it came to hunting them down with a couple of dogs and dispatching them with a knife.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/26/19.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What about this places very own Phil Shoemaker?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll add Dwight Schuh and Gene Wensel to the list as being very helpful to me.

Broncos are officially the worst team in the nation this year.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Bell and Fred bear....had to learn to hunt for myself...and reading about those guys was and inspiration for sure..

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Howard Hill

Even birds know not to land downwind!
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Killed my first deer with a "Hills Hornet" broad head..Still got it..deer`s long gone.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Tom hoffman all 28 north american and all in pope and young I've hunted with him you would never know

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I would also include Theodore S. Van Dyke, author of THE STILL-HUNTER, originally published in 1904. Any close-cover hunter who hasn't read this is at a disadvantage.

Of course, the definition of "still" hunting has varied over the decades, including regionally. In Van Dyke's day it meant moving slowly through the woods, with frequent stops, but now it can mean sitting in a stand--and Van Dyke's still-hunting is often called "stalking," especially in the South.

Was doing a search for an older DogZapper post and stumbled on this thread. Have been reading an online scan at Internet Archive of "The Still Hunter" by the wood stove all afternoon. Not how I planned to spend the day, but well worth the read. Thanks for the tip John. Really interesting to think that it was written well before the turn of the Century and still holds up in so many ways.

I used to only shoot shotguns and rimfires, then I made the mistake of getting a subscription to handloader.......
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The "greatest hunter" is most likely known only to God, was not a modern "sport hunter", and probably didn't carry a rifle or necessarily even a bow.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
On a personal level my Uncle Jimmy. Absolutely could decipher the woods and waters better than any human I have ever seen. Literally grew up in the woods and it provided for his family when he was growing up. If he wasn’t killing deer or catching fish there was no use any of us going. His .243 had north of 500 deer to its credit in his last 20 years of his life.
GreggH

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have read many sniper books and with respect to all Carlos Hathcock shot mostly officer`s with one shot kills or some of the harder snipers to find and kill . yes he did not shoot the most enemy soldiers as one or two other sniper`s did , but they shot and killed the easy regular enemy soldiers crossing rivers .his assignments were many times by himself for one head officer and one shot in very dangerous locations. as i have been told by one of the Marine soldier`s Carlos new who help protect Carlos alot,also my good friend was a elite Army sniper for 8 years in the service both of these soldiers said there has never been or ever will be a elite Sniper as good as Carlos Hathcock ever again. >this was kinda neat: one day when i was hunting elk with this Viet Nam Marine, i asked him this > did you ever meet Carlos Hathcock ? his answer took me by surprise > yep we use too hunt together . then i said where? he said North Viet Nam.

here is a question when someone is hunting you with a rifle as you are hunting him in the jungle and you shoot him first and thru his scope the bullet goes and kills this enemy soldier how can that be top ? Carlos Hathcock did this .

Last edited by pete53; 01/20/20.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I read John Hunter's book Hunter in the 7th grade and that fired me up! Later in life I read John Taylor's books and he really fanned the flames for hunting and especially hunting rifles. Most recently I like Francis Sell -- who did a lot of difficult western Oregon deer hunting with only a couple of basic rifles...

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
J
jay Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Mule Deer, my copy of The Still-Hunter says first copy was in 1882, is that correct? The newest rifle model I could find in the book was the Winchester 1876. Great read, thanks for bringing up !

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Hemingway,. I feel he had a great love of the game he pursued. Include Norm Strung, and Ted Trueblood in that same category

In my opinion I think that matters more than number of heads on the wall

I'd also include our own Mule Deer, as well as Boddington

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

P
P
Sasha Siemel - Jaguars in the jungle with a spear...

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
jay,

Yes, 1882 was the first printing..

It is indeed interesting how well The Still-Hunter holds up today, especially for deer hunters. But back then he was one of the first who hunted deer across a wide area, essentially from coast to coast.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by pete53
i have read many sniper books and with respect to all Carlos Hathcock shot mostly officer`s with one shot kills or some of the harder snipers to find and kill . yes he did not shoot the most enemy soldiers as one or two other sniper`s did , but they shot and killed the easy regular enemy soldiers crossing rivers .his assignments were many times by himself for one head officer and one shot in very dangerous locations. as i have been told by one of the Marine soldier`s Carlos new who help protect Carlos alot,also my good friend was a elite Army sniper for 8 years in the service both of these soldiers said there has never been or ever will be a elite Sniper as good as Carlos Hathcock ever again. >this was kinda neat: one day when i was hunting elk with this Viet Nam Marine, i asked him this > did you ever meet Carlos Hathcock ? his answer took me by surprise > yep we use too hunt together . then i said where? he said North Viet Nam.

here is a question when someone is hunting you with a rifle as you are hunting him in the jungle and you shoot him first and thru his scope the bullet goes and kills this enemy soldier how can that be top ? Carlos Hathcock did this .

"as i have been told by one of the Marine soldier`s Carlos new who help protect Carlos"

There are NO F_cking Soldiers in the Corps!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hard to say.... Some people wrote a lot about hunting.. some simply hunted. Would assume someone along these lines.

[Linked Image from i938.photobucket.com]

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow! That's quite the room

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow! Very impressive collection.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 01/20/20.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Derzu Uzala
Sasha Siemel & the native who taught him
And a thousand other natives and locals who fed their families and tribes but were never written about.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Money hunting vs a true hunting

Id more likely admire someone who consistently took deer and elk on public ground with a bow as opposed someone who paid someone to guide them to an animal on private high fenced ground to shoot them

Originally Posted by Whitebird
Hard to say.... Some people wrote a lot about hunting.. some simply hunted. Would assume someone along these lines.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
sounds like an incredible man

Originally Posted by ruraldoc

My own Father.Wonderful woodsman and hunter. Cold fell large trees with a double bit ax quicker than most men with a chainsaw.

Could hit running deer with his 30-06 that were being chased through thick timber by hounds. Started taking me squirrel when I was barely six years old. I killed sixteen our first year with our dog brownie a border collie mix.

He was a veteran of World War Two and served in the Pacific. I was born when he was 48 years old and he poured his life into mine. He once saw an 18 year old thug armed with a butcher knife assaulting a young woman. Dad grabbed a broom and broke the handle off of it. He proceded to disarm the attacker,beat him into the ground,and hold him in a choke hold until Law Enforcement arrived.At the time he was 66 years old.

He squirrel hunted with a High Standard pistol,and he shot squirrels out of tall pines with it. He rabbit hunted with sling shot,and killed them running ahead of beagles with it.

Absolutely the best man and hunter I've ever seen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win
Derzu Uzala
And a thousand other natives and locals who fed their families and tribes but were never written about.

Dersu would be right up there for me!

Reading Francis Sell made me think a lot. Never a bad thing.

Last edited by Sycamore; 01/20/20.

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by SU35
I look at the hunters who have tenacity on public land hunts without using a guide and score big.

They do their home work and pay their dues to score success.

That's the truth. The guys I've known in this part of the world that consistently take big deer on public land are beasts. They're on the ground putting in the miles year round to make it happen.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Chuck Adams...

Coyotes shot no waiting.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll throw some of my favorites into the ring:

Meshack Browning -- At one point he was allied with a pack of wolves that aided him in his deer hunts. This guy's idea of fun was lauching himself onto the back of a large buck or black bear and going one-on-one with a knife.

Phillip Tome -- live-caught elk and brought them back to town for display

Fredrick Gerstacker -- Landed in NYC and walked all the way to Arkansas, hunting on the way.

If you are not familiar with them, then I suggest that you look up these names on Amazon and elsewhere and acquire their autobiographies.

Ernst Koeppe-- He was my dad's mother's older brother. He was the hunter-in-chief for a district in the Black Forest. Of the family, he's the best hunter I know. Dad hunted with him once-- was able to call up a stag from hundreds of meters away with an antler whistle.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 458Win
Derzu Uzala

This.

Have known a few of this type over the years.

John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter

"as i have been told by one of the Marine soldier`s Carlos new who help protect Carlos"

There are NO F_cking Soldiers in the Corps!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
> Montana creek < as always you seem to be wrong again and just to negative! this marine with a couple of others did help Carlos alot in Viet Nam,how would you know ? these certain Marines were assigned to lead him out in North Viet Nam and to either wait or go back and bring him back later ,these marines were known as the good guys by Carlos. maybe read one of Carlos`s books and learn something and try and be a little more positive ,you make Montana residents look bad with your negative comments. the words you need to use should be more positive and helpful we do have younger people reading and trying to learn things on 24 hr. campfire . >>>> so if you don`t have anything positive to post just don`t post its that simple. have a nice day,Pete53

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I think about the "best" hunters, I look at the flint arrowheads and spear points we find every year in the very same fields where I hunt. That these people fed themselves and their families with rocks tied to sticks is pretty mind-blowing. The same could be said for the Bushmen or any other indigenous hunters.

I grew up on the Florida coast in a town that was a destination for offshore fishing-- I walked into a men's store one day that was filled with mounts, including three Cape buffalo bulls. I didn't know what they were but I knew that I wanted to hunt one. From that day forward, I was not a fisherman, I was a hunter.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I've known some hunters who were notable killers of game and some who were more notable for their affinity with the game. Some were fellow gun loonies while others barely knew which end to load.
One fellow who had to be a pretty good hunter was a rancher/hunter/trapper who lived up the North Thompson river. Now, Lude wasn't just a skilled hunter and trapper, he was, in the old mountain man tradition, also a great storyteller and one could help but wonder if some stories didn't gain a little in the telling. One such story recounted the time he had put a rope on a grizzly and the extreme difficulty of trying to get the rope back. It was a great story and well told but I couldn't help but think it was less than credible. It was maybe five or six years later that I was working on an old Savage for an old cowboy and talking with him while I worked. He asked where I lived and I told him.
"Say", he said, "Do you know a guy up there; name of Lude Proulx?" I said yes, I knew him very well.
"We rode together back in the thirties. By Jesus. I'll never forget the time he rode down and roped a grizzly bear! You want to see a rodeo? You want to see a guy trying to shake that rope off a mad bear!"
Another story involved the shooting of a deer on a bench across a creek. Lude was shooting his Model 64 25/35 and shot this three point buck on the other side of the little valley. I was well acquainted with the spot since I hunted it often. The shot he took was a good 350 yards. Anyway, he said the deer dropped right there, into the foot of snow on the ground, and he set off to retrieve it. The 350 yards, as the bullet flies, was closer to a mile once he had made his way down to the creek (probably six hundred feet or so) and climbed up the other side. The foot of fluffy snow made the going almost silent and Lude said he was going slow, looking for the buck, when he saw him, curled up, and just a bit closer than he expected.
"I slid up close and reached down to grab an antler", he said. "when I grbbed on and pulled his head back to cut his throat, that buck just exploded up and the fight was on! We went 'round and 'round. I was stabbing at him with my knife and he was stbbing at me with his horns. At one point, we broke apart and that buck and I both sat back on our haunches just glarin' at each other. Then we jumped back into it! Finally, I managed to get the upper hand a got his throat cut. I was pretty beat up and a little stiff and sore whilst gutting that deer. When I got the job done, I stood up and took a little walk around just to loosen up a bit. I stepped over a log and looked up ahead and there was a deer! Just layin' their with his feet stickin' right up in the air. It was the buck I had shot!"
Quite a story. I spent a fair bit of time with Lude and he had a wealth of knowledge of the country and the wildlife it held.
Another guy was a dedicated cougar hunter who was also a serious muledeer hunter. He confessed to occasionally killing an extra cat or two. He said that made up for the extra mule deer. He was a tough guy who seemed impervious to the weather and could walk forever. He once chased a cat too far and got caught out when an arctic front rolled in. He spent the night in a hole in the snow; cuddled up with his hound and the dead cougar. He was wearing jeans and a quilted flannel shirt. He said he didn't know who was shivering harder, he or the hound. He could go into an area which was new to him and instinctivly know where to find the big buck or bull.
I've gotten to know a lot of real hunters in my work as a gunsmith. I also gotten to know some very accomplished outdoorsmen whose hunting was just part of their experience. All could teach me a lot. GD

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Larry Kohler and Francis Sell, Don Zutz amoung those already mentioned.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Corbett. One gets pretty well tuned up when the quarry is hunting you.

We do not have the mix of species found in the India's highlands, but Corbett could pretty well read the going's on in his immediate environment by simply listening.

Man-Eaters of Kumaon, 1944, Jim Corbett

Last edited by 1minute; 01/21/20.

1Minute
T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
As a kid, reading Jack O'Connor and watching The American Sportsman with Curt Gowdy.

Just down the road from The City of Lost Souls in the Land of the Blind.
Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Originally Posted by Blackheart

Not shocked...I’ve had a few “Great Hunters” show up that quickly dispelled any truth to their actual skills from rifle handling, to shooting, to being in condition for the hunt ahead...Last years member-hunter who joined me not one of the above.

I did get a helluva laugh out of one hunter from Michigan who told me not to drop him off alone in the dark because the woods scared him...LMAO 😎

I don't agree with Blackheart very often but he hit this on the head as well as Beaver 10. Elmer is and was a favorite as well as Hagel ,Sell and Whelen. These days just about anything JB writes, Wayne Van Zwol, and John Havalind simply because John H mentors a lot of people as well as taking other peoples kids hunting, that shines. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
He’s probably not the greatest but at least the most interesting to me. My dad has a great uncle whose wife died in childbirth with their first kid when he was in his early 20s in the late 1910s. He leased out his farm and moved to the river bottom and basically hunted and fished every day for the next 50 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Grandfather. Well, he, turns out, not really was my grandfather, but I disgress. I knew him to be my grandfather my whole life. A forester in the Harz mountains. When I took up hunting he told me many wise things.

Things I, of course did not listen to. Let me give you an example. Granddad would say: "I used a 4x power scope my whole life. What you can not shot with that, is either to fast, to far away or its to dark." (His was a 4x32 Zeiss with German #1 reticle).

Lets just say, I paid a lot of bucks to prove his point. ;-)

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The question is: “The greatest hunter, Who living, dead otherwise served as your inspiration to learn all you can and apply this skill to hunt Big Game.”

To that, it would be Chuck Adams for me. That’s who I was reading at the time I decided to get back into hunting.

In the years since I’ve learned that hunters with a lot of big animals often have better opportunity rather than better skill. Though not always...

I used to get every CD from a couple different hunters, and one day I was watching an episode where they took a kid out for an afternoon deer hunt. Passed on many great bucks and then finally chose to shoot a real nice deer. It was literally child’s play to pick and shoot a deer bigger than I’d ever even seen in years of hunting public lands or small, heavily hunted woods. I never bought another CD. I could never relate to their situation again. So when I see hunters who can reliably make it happen on heavily hunted public lands, I have a great respect for their skills and pay attention to them.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
> Montana creek < as always you seem to be wrong again and just to negative! this marine with a couple of others did help Carlos alot in Viet Nam,how would you know ? these certain Marines were assigned to lead him out in North Viet Nam and to either wait or go back and bring him back later ,these marines were known as the good guys by Carlos. maybe read one of Carlos`s books and learn something and try and be a little more positive ,you make Montana residents look bad with your negative comments. the words you need to use should be more positive and helpful we do have younger people reading and trying to learn things on 24 hr. campfire . >>>> so if you don`t have anything positive to post just don`t post its that simple. have a nice day,Pete53

Again you are wrong in every way. I never said Carlos didn't work with other Marines! Reading is not your friend I see. Again let me say this really sloooowwww for you there are no F_cking soldiers in the Marine Corps! If you are in the Marine Corps you are either a Marine or a Navy Corpsmen.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Under the OP's guidelines for me it would be three guys

Fred Bear
Nash Buckingham
Chuck Adams

You can clearly see what my love of hunting is based around! Archery and Shotgunning.

Though I know they may not be the greatest (which is mostly subjective) they impacted me and hunting the most.

Last edited by MontanaCreekHunter; 01/21/20.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
My Grandfather.He hunted with a Model 92 32/20.He killed deer,bear,moose in Ontario and anything that lived in the UP with it.He was 5'6" tall and 140 pounds .I have seen him stalk big UP bucks for miles ,kill them with a head shot and drag them back to camp by himself.He killed for food and never bragged about what he shot.He lived in Lake Linden in the UP.At his funeral he got the ultimate complement .A wreath was placed on his coffin by his Minister and friends.It read Freddy "A good man in the woods."

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Huntz
It read Freddy "A good man in the woods."

I like that!

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
The greatest hunter(s) that I have known, are unknown to the vast majority of people. My dad was one of them. There a several common denominators among the ones I have met:

The first thing is they hunt alone, maybe share a camp with someone else, but they ALWAYS hunt alone.

Their equipment is the best they can afford and functional, and perhaps many years old.

None of them wear camo.

They spend nearly as much time in the woods in the dark (early and late), as in the daylight.

Seldom did they hunt the same places year after year. They hunted where the game was, and were not afraid to work to find them.

None of them were out of shape, even in old age (none smoked or drank in excess).

I never heard any of them talk of excitement or buck fever before or after the kill......they expected it to happen, and it came as no surprise.

Their hunting stories were matter of fact, and not full of emotional fluff. There was much to learn, if you would shut up and listen.

They were motivated in filling their tag(s), because they lived on what they killed.

Several things proved how good they were, without being said:

They could nearly always fill a tag, even on hard pressured public land.....and even hunting it for the first time. If hunter success was in the single digits, they were one of them!

The pictures of their success (if they took them), was just a dead animal on the ground...because they were alone.

Spending the night in the woods happened often, especially if they were "close". They weren't considered "lost or late", just hot on the trail.

None were bow hunters, guide/outfitter, writers, or some other "authority" on the subject.

And most importantly.....none of them bragged.

These guys are off the radar, because the only person they have to measure up to, are themselves. They are the ones you see coming out of the woods alone, with heavy packs, a sparkle in their eyes, and maybe a sly grin. I saw that expression, on my dad's face, many times!

I vote for these guys.....the best you never heard of. I've been fortunate to know a couple, and I strive to hunt just like them!

Andy3

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Are the best hunters guys who live and hunt in game-rich areas or go to game-rich areas to do their hunting, or those who live and hunt in game-poor areas? Hunting in game-rich areas gives one plenty of opportunity to develop skills fairly quickly, but in game-poor areas you have to be really good to fill your tags consistently. For example, was W.M.D. Bell a better hunter than, say, someone in the northern range of the whitetail deer? Different skill sets, obviously; but also very different mind sets. Clearly there are a lot of ways to be considered a great hunter. As stated above, the majority of them are never heard of beyond their circle of acquaintances.

The biggest problem our country has is not systemic racism, it's systemic stupidity.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Larry Benoit has to be on the list if not at the top. When he began hunting the north east woods I doubt there was a buck every 5sq miles but yet he scored on big bucks year after year. Deer density is still low today and many, many hunters eat tag soup lots of years. Larry could not only connect every year his bucks were always 200lbs or more. That is the standard he set for himself and his boys. Believe me...he was a great hunter and most surely one of the best...if not the best during his reign in North America. powdr

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One day while in hunting in the RSA the PH was busy and sent me out with just the tracker. Tracker didn't speak any English. I thought I was a good hunter, he made me realize there is another dimension to hunting. He walked deadly quiet, stopping often to look, listen and smell. He knew exactly where to look, which way the breeze was blowing. He heard a faint noise and got me to listening. Then said it was a warthog and moved us forward to a perfect spot. We waited several minutes and out pops a pig.

Stalking through dense bottom land he stops and points. I didn't see the bushbuck until it bolted.

Heading back to camp he stops and points again. His eyes get HUGE and it points more determined. I raise my binoculars and sure enough there is a Impala standing in the forest. I can barely make it out and ask if it is a big one. He gives me an exasperated look and his eyes bulge. Ram was the largest ever killed on the farm, 23 5/8.

Got back to camp and the PH was all excited and said I probably didn't want him to go any more. He was right.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Two on TV actually got my interest up before I started really reading gun rags. A fellow named Jim Thomas had a TV show in the 60s called "The Lone Star Sportsman." I actually learned and cut my teeth watching this. Then there was Bob Brister who wrote in the Houston Chronical and had a TV Show on Channel 13 Houston. I remember seeing for the first time the art of rattling up deer. Also a lot of points on waterfowl hunting. These guys got me going. I loved Warren Page also and later Bob Wooters and of course Elmer and Jack. But the classic of all, and I actually read more of his stuff as an adult was Karamojo Bell himself. That guy had balls bigger than a Cadillac. Another one that got my attention was Peter Hathaway Capstick. He had some great stories of Africa. One was a snake story. He said he went to visit a South African hunter friend one day whom he had visited many times. He noticed a large chunk out of the couch back missing and asked his friend about it. The guy told him one evening he was sitting in his favorite chair across from the couch where his wife and baby were seated. He looked up and saw a rather large Black Mamba crawling along the edge of the back toward his wife and baby. He always had his shotgun close by and he grabbed it and killed the snake before it could bite his wife and baby. The shot took that chunk out of the couch. Capstick had a lot of those stories. And not just about snakes. He shared a lot of hunting stories about elephants and buffalo. He was a great writer.

These are a sampling of my formative years.

Last edited by Filaman; 01/23/20.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Based on reads, Bell, Selous, Percival, Cottar. Selby, Corbett, and so many others from dark continent. Modern men couldn't compare, maybe Sheldon, Pinnell and Talifson and a fFEW others.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Again you are wrong in every way. I never said Carlos didn't work with other Marines! Reading is not your friend I see. Again let me say this really sloooowwww for you there are no F_cking soldiers in the Marine Corps! If you are in the Marine Corps you are either a Marine or a Navy Corpsmen.

>> yes again you are butthead right, most people call all military personal just >soldiers< go back to your dog dish !

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Martin Hanson...A friend and if you don't remember him he hunted with most of the writers in the 40s, 50s and 60s. He killed and donated most of the mounted animals in the Chicago Museum of Natural History. He had a place up in Ashland County Wisconsin and was a key player in the forming of the Apostle Islands National Park and the reintroduction of elk in Wisconsin. He told me he never worked a day in his life and never missed a thing.

Last edited by sgt217; 01/23/20.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
A name I haven't seen mentioned here is Ted Trueblood. He might not be the greatest, but I enjoyed his writing as I was growing up and became interested in hunting. He was from my hometown of Nampa, Idaho, and I used to see him at meetings of the Nampa Rod and Gun Club. Nice gentleman, and a good woodsman, hunter and outdoorsman who could write interesting and informative stories.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
fortymile,

Trueblood was not only a very good hunter (and angler) but a far better writer than he gets credit for--which may be due to mostly hunting in his native Idaho, instead of traveling the world. He was also primarily a "lifestyle" hunter, rather than a trophy hunter. He hunted primarily for meat (and so did the rest of his family, including his wife) but also took some fine trophies. Perhaps my favorite of his stories is "I Don't Want to Kill A Deer," though of course he does, a big mule deer buck.\

In fact, when I sold my first couple stories to magazines I wrote him, saying what an influence he'd been. Still have his gracious response, more than four decades later.

John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

>> yes again you are butthead right, most people call all military personal just >soldiers< go back to your dog dish !

Yes if they are ignorant.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Larry D Jones, Gene/Barry Wensel, Dwight Schuh, Fred Bear. I read a lot of Capstick growing up along with M.R. James, and Jay Massey. I grew up watching Fred Bear and Ben Pearson videos over and over, along with "Bowhunting October White Tails" and my absolute favorite "Elk Fever." Several writers listed Paul Schafer as the best bow hunter they have known. These were my hunting heroes growing up. I have met Larry Jones, Gene Wensel, M.R. James and Jay Massey of those I listed. The person responsible for meeting all of them and introducing me to the outdoors is my own father. He took me to seminars and out hunting when it was not popular to have kids involved. He tried to get legislation to allow youth small game hunting and mentored deer hunting like we have now in my home state of South Dakota.

I feel like my Dad is probably one of the only people I know who really loves wild places and things the way I do, and I have him to thank for it.

Isaiah 6:8

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
My dad was NOT an avid hunter. If you offered him he'd go hunting with you, but he never paid for a lease and he only initiated a few hunts. He bought us a Savage 340C chambered in 30 WCF in 1959 I believe, maybe 1960. We never scoped it. That was our only deer rifle for 7 or so years. I don't think we ever killed anything with it. In about 1958 we got invited to go hunting on a lease my uncle was on in Llano Texas. Somebody there lent my dad a Remington 721 chambered in .30-06. He had never killed a deer and took a Texas Heart Shot on a five point. It was a DRT. I think the next year he bought that 30-30. He talked about getting a .30-06 but never did. Later in life I bought a Model 70 in .270 and he would use it sometimes. In the late 70s he bought a Model 700 BDL in 7mm Remington Mag. That was his pride and joy until he died in 2007. But to say he mentored me in hunting and taught me the ropes isn't the case. We had some good times together but he was simply a fair weather hunter. My brother in law would take us to Junction on an invite hunt with some people his company contracted to do some work. He killed a few deer there. And he killed a big 8 point with his 7 Mag. That was his best time hunting. I learned from watching TV and reading gun mags and from other people. I was the family hunter. My dad mainly played Golf.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Sorry, MOST people don’t call Marines soldiers. At least not more than once before a Marine corrects them.

Semper Fi
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by powdr
Larry Benoit has to be on the list if not at the top. When he began hunting the north east woods I doubt there was a buck every 5sq miles but yet he scored on big bucks year after year. Deer density is still low today and many, many hunters eat tag soup lots of years. Larry could not only connect every year his bucks were always 200lbs or more. That is the standard he set for himself and his boys. Believe me...he was a great hunter and most surely one of the best...if not the best during his reign in North America. powdr

Every hunter in the upper Midwest hunted by stalking 60 years ago.The Benoits were not innovators.They hunted the same way everybody did back then.The North Woods harbored some giant white tail in Northern Wi..Mi,NY,Maine.They have some mounted bucks in Eagle River Wi.That were close to 400 pounds live weight.That was possible because of the logging industry was doing massive clear cuts and there was ample young browse available for the deer.That and not a lot of hunters can produce giant deer.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
My dad was a great hunter and inspired me the most. He provided plenty of opportunities for me to get into the woods, the fields and the corn for pheasants. When I developed an insatiable desire to learn everything rifle related Jim Carmichael was my go to authority. Later on John Barsness became the best outdoor writer on the planet, his in depth understanding of all things rifle related and his unassuming style of writing appealing to anyone with an interest in hunting and the outdoors.

Mike

"May the LORD bless you and keep you, may His face shine upon you, may He be gracious and give you peace"
from Numbers 6:24-26

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My Dad. He taught me to do everything outdoors. I wish I could shoot as good as him. He could shoot anything well. Knew how to hunt everything with or without dogs. Knew how to fish from fly rod to hoopnet. Taught me to trap fur.
Took me to do it all that he could afford to do.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Ever heard of Ben Lily?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just read through this whole thread and did not see the name of Finn Aagaard. That surprises me. Among those that share their experiences and research with us through writing, he, along with Bob Hagle and John Barsness, are the rifleman hunters I most respect. None of them repeat the same old thing they have read from others, they experiment, learn, and teach, and If I read something any of them wrote about rifles or hunting, I have confidence that it's tested and true.

But I want to tell the story of another man, one you probably don't know, and the greatest hunter I have had the pleasure of knowing and hunting with:
From 1985 to 1989, I was stationed at Homestead Air Force Base, south of Miami, FL. I spent 3 of those 4 years being a dummy and not taking advantage of the environment. In the final year I was hit with the epiphany that people travel from all over the world to fish the areas right out my back door! And I hit it hard for that final year and had a ball. Then, I got reassigned to Nellis AFB, NV, where I was lucky to spend the next 7 years. I had dreamed of western big game hunting since I was a little boy and made a vow not to miss out. I arrived in January 1990 and had soon booked a guided, fall Colorado deer and elk hunt for my father and me. We arrived at the outfitter's in Delores, CO and were introduced to our guides. The oldest of the bunch luckily took a liking to me and after our first day hunting together, said he'd like to stay paired up, if that was OK with me. His name was Bill Bullock. I noticed the other guides really treated him with respect but I had no idea how much it was deserved. Well, we were on public land and it was tough hunting. Two of our party of five hunters (another father and son from Alabama) killed elk on that trip. My dad and I both got mule deer, and that was my first big game animal. I was hooked.

Bill lived in Cottonwood, AZ with his wife Bev, and he told me if I ever drew any AZ tags around there he'd be happy to take me out and help. Well, two years later I got crazy lucky and drew a non-resident December AZ Coues Whitetail tag for the unit just south of Bill's place in Cottonwood. I called him up and he said to come on out and stay with him and Bev and he'd take me hunting! I arrived at Bill's modest A-Frame house in Cottonwood and when I walked in, my jaw just dropped. Every inch of wall, floor to ceiling was covered with mounts. Full body, shoulders, euro, everything. Bill had been a working man his whole life and must have spent every penny he could save on hunting and taxidermy. He started showing me around and telling the stories. Bill had started out rifle hunting. He had one rifle, a sporterized 1903-A3 Springfield with the original two-groove barrel, that he hunted with exclusively for his first few decades. With it, he had taken a grand slam of sheep, B&C elk, mule deer, whitetails, caribou, moose, and pronghorn, a huge Alaskan Brown Bear, and just about everything else. Then, he got into archery. He was one of the early pioneers of archery in Africa, and worked with a few PH's, in different African countries, to get bows legalized for taking game over there, then proceeded to do so himself, and how. He had all the major African soft-skinned game hanging on his walls, along with a Cape Buffalo - no small task with a bow!
In addition, Bill had some other pretty amazing archery "slams", if you will. In full body mounts all around his living room, were every species of North American canine, and every species of North American feline, all take with his bow. Over a dozen bull elk that had fallen to his bow, but only the "Booners" we up on the wall. Needless to say we had a great evening while this incredibly humble man shared the stories of these hunts with me. The next morning we drove a little ways in the dark, then hiked in about three miles, and at sunrise were on a ridge south of town looking down into some pretty thick canyons and the Verde River bellow. Bill showed me how to look and glass, and I found a few does, and shortly later, a nice buck! He sat up on the ridge while I put on a stalk, and pretty soon, I had my first Whitetail! Bill helped my bone, quarter. and pack that buck out, and Bev was kind enough to let me use her kitchen to get it ready for the drive back to Las Vegas. When we stopped for a sandwich while packing out that buck, I had noticed Bill's hands a little shaky. I didn't bug him about it but was saddened to here that he passed away from Parkinson's (I think it was) just a couple years later.
It was an honor and a privilege to be lucky enough to know and hunt with Bill Bullock, The Greatest Hunter I have ever known.
Cheers,
Rex

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugeman, 02bfishn, 160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,478 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,427
Posts18,470,733
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.