Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by JayJunem

Lanolin is not rendered sheep fat. Lanolin comes from the wool of sheep.

Tired and read that as "wool fat", I am an ex shearer and know very well what lanolin is.

Ah, I see. No offense meant.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have met two guy that sell gun cleaning fluid. One builds and sells varmint rifles, the other builds and sells muzzle loaders.
Both were just decanting and repackaging a commercial product. The biz plan in both cases was "Buy quantity at $4 per quart and sell retail at $4 per 4 ounce container."

I am going to guess that the gun oil market is not much different.

But in the engine oil world, there is a forum with millions of posts:
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

Reading that forum revealed how complicated lubrication can be.

One of the primary amines is 2-propanamine Isopropylamine with the formula structure:

H
/
CH3-C-CH3
/
NH2

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JayJunem

Ah, I see. No offense meant.

The fault is mine old mate, pardon me as I am not currently at my best.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Been using whatever is around with a preference for Eesox for coating, Kroil for cleaning and Collectors for storage. These are still good if not the best. Boeshield and Corrosion X work well even if not ranked the highest.

Next will be Hornaday One Shot or Frog Lube.
For general use it will be Ed's Red with some Mobile 1 added. I have been using engine assembly grease with Moly for the bolt locking lugs and it really smoothed up the cycling. I even used it on a stainless barrel and it looks like titanium now and is non reflective.

For knives, tools and axes Camilla oil is the best and I think I will give it a try on my rifles as what odor it has is pleasant and may not alarm deer. This is what was used on Samari swords except they added clove oil to it. It is realtively inexpensive and is a sort of liquid wax like Jojoba oil is. Becomes dry to the touch if not used too heavily.

For triggers lighter fluid only will help avoid mishaps or misfires. Got this from the Jewell trigger recommendations. I may put the moly grease on the sear but then will wipe almost all of it off leaving just the moly. Better to not do this with Remington Walker triggers as it can cause them to slam fire if overdone.

Last edited by Tejano; 07/28/19.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
For just a rust prevention wipe down, I really like Eezox. It isn't oily after it dries and is great for rust prevention. Look elsewhere for lube

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Break Free most of the time. When hunting my blue rifles in heavy rain, I coat them with Johnson's Paste wax. Never had any exterior rust using the wax. Protects the stock also. I'm going try the lanolin, it sounds promising!

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by mathman
Remember these?

[Linked Image]

Is that throttle linkage oil? I do remember those things.

I don't believe it was that specific. I remember my father having a bunch of those things around when I was a kid, he would tell me a little bit of oil right where it is needed was plenty.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Remember these?

[Linked Image]

Is that throttle linkage oil? I do remember those things.

I don't believe it was that specific. I remember my father having a bunch of those things around when I was a kid, he would tell me a little bit of oil right where it is needed was plenty.

I remember my Dad having that on his workbench and using it on the throttle linkage.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Although not an "oil", Ballistol is a great product. No gumming like some petroleum products and no damage to wood.

I doesn't gum up with black powder, in fact some BP cowboy action shooters mix it with water to make their version of "pigeon milk".

It has a funky smell, but not that bad.

Sometimes not that easy to find, but a search on line will usually be successful. Amazon and EBay show it as available.

For over a hundred years, it's been doing its job. IIRC, the Germans developed it in the early 1900's.

It's also good for leather.

What's not to like...

DF

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M-Pro 7 CLP. I think the new stuff is M-Pro 7 LPX

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Although not an "oil", Ballistol is a great product. No gumming like some petroleum products and no damage to wood.

I doesn't gum up with black powder, in fact some BP cowboy action shooters mix it with water to make their version of "pigeon milk".

It has a funky smell, but not that bad.

Sometimes not that easy to find, but a search on line will usually be successful. Amazon and EBay show it as available.

For over a hundred years, it's been doing its job. IIRC, the Germans developed it in the early 1900's.

It's also good for leather.

What's not to like...

DF

Ummm...yes it is.

I have a bottle sitting on the chest of drawers beside me and that is where it is going to stay, sealed.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ballistol was the odor of a German soldier in WWI and WWII.

I rubbed some on my Luger.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Clarkm

It is actually the odour of his socks, the actual ones he was wearing.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just ordered some Frog Lube paste and Liquid to try for wiping stuff down. That test posted above looked good.

What fresh Hell is this?
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JSTUART
Originally Posted by Clarkm

It is actually the odour of his socks, the actual ones he was wearing.

Yeah, it is truly a memorable odor .EEsox and Clennzoil are downright pleasant as is Frog Lube

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hanco
Mobil 1

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For anti-corrosion, Horaday's HD Extreme non-oil based. For lubrication, Ballistol or whatever I can get EXCEPT WD-40..

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by jorgeI
For anti-corrosion, Horaday's HD Extreme non-oil based. For lubrication, Ballistol or whatever I can get EXCEPT WD-40..

For sure, not good for guns, especially small moving parts like triggers.

I've had to disassemble triggers where people had generously used WD-40 over years. Even acetone won't cut it. You about gotta manually clean each individual part.

I hate that stuff for guns. Not bad on shovels, etc. Just keep it away from locks and guns..

DF

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

I've had to disassemble triggers where people had generously used WD-40 over years. Even acetone won't cut it. You about gotta manually clean each individual part.

I hate that stuff for guns. Not bad on shovels, etc. Just keep it away from locks and guns..

DF

How about the good, not 50 state legal, red can CRC brake cleaner?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

DF

How about the good, not 50 state legal, red can CRC brake cleaner?

Haven't tried that one.

WD-40 "varnish" is pretty tough. If CRC brake cleaner will cut it, that would be great. But, I won't hold my breath.

DF

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (10gaugemag, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 2500HD, 65 invisible), 2,048 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,075
Posts18,521,731
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.