Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JOG
I'm a fan of your endeavors, but you're ignorant of differing cycling goals. There's a chasm between what you do and what I do.

Oh heck J, a highly visible subset of cyclists dress and ride in those otherwise entirely silly outfits, buttered crotch, sunblock and all because it works for a narrow application.

As a group, these people riding in close packs on public highways, also infuriate lots of folks.

With respect to those snap-in pedals I have read the same articles and seen the same YouTubes as everyone else pertaining to their advantage or lack thereof (IIRC the upstroke’s contribution is negligible). I will acknowledge that to have your feet come off the pedals in competition can result in cut-up calves pretty quick (a big reason why you guys also shave your legs, cleaner cuts).

When you do go on tour, ditch all that silly stuff, there’s other ways.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just as an aside there Rambo, pursuant to the other thread, the folks at the remarkable Shedhorn store in Ennis were friendly and helpful, pointed me to the stuffsack I was looking for at a very reasonable price, my unusual outfit and hat notwithstanding cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by 700LH
If the speed limit is above 45 MPH bicycles should not be allowed

Just like the anti-gunners. Any magazine over 10 rounds. It's arbitrary but they try to justify it.

Just what entitles you to unlimited access to highways that were built for motorized use? You and your selfish minions won’t let go of your conceived absolute to be somewhere that some have tolerated but you still don’t deserve...

What entitles me to use roadways designed for multimodal transportation? My tax dollars and the law. Do you have any other questions for which the answer should be painfully obvious?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Multi modal?

Yer taking the piss!

Hahaha!

I am MAGA.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

What entitles me to use roadways designed for multimodal transportation? My tax dollars and the law. Do you have any other questions for which the answer should be painfully obvious?

What is painfully obvious is that your mother dropped you more than once when she was changing your diaper.

Your zeal to defy death and ire of motorists on the road, define you and your stupidity of what you want to consider yours. Show me and everyone here where this highway was designed for people like you to ride your bicycle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

What is painfully obvious is that your mother dropped you more than once when she was changing your diaper.

Your zeal to defy death and ire of motorists on the road, define you and your stupidity of what you want to consider yours. Show me and everyone here where this highway was designed for people like you to ride your bicycle...

[Linked Image]

Any driver who has an issue with navigating that traffic situation should have their license revoked. Bright yellow and visible for probably a mile away. One oncoming vehicle. Plan ahead. Slow for a brief moment to allow the oncoming vehicle to clear. Then apply gentle pressure to the steering wheel and accelerator (if you can't figure out how to do both at the same time, just do one and then the other) pass at a safe distance, then move back into your lane.

I cannot think of a fully emotionally and intellectually developed man who would take issue with that cyclist as pictured. What a petty life one must live to get worked up over that. Seriously, grow the f#^k up.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Don't know how much you ride your bicycle paulbanard but you sure been riding this thread for all it's worth. Didn't get much attention as a kid did you? Probably didn't have any real life friends neither. Oh well, keep milking away.

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

Typical of a losing debater, get foul and emotional. You are telling automobile drivers how they are supposed to change their driving to accommodate you, yet in your “multimodal” definition, there is still no evidence of this highway and millions of others that it was designed for you and your cyclist buddies to ride on a public highway without the drivers of cars and trucks to slow and swerve so you can peddle your bike down the road...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
How come slow moving vehicles have to pull off the road to let others pass but bicycles don’t?

IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Good point.

And I might mention the tax on fueling just one of my Peterbilts was way more than any bicycle rider ever paid. Ever price out a set of super singles and the excise tax on one of those puppies. You could buy a chitpota of bicycles for that.

After reading all this paulbanard BS, bikers just might want to stay to the right of the fog line for a few days.

Last edited by Remington6MM; 07/31/19. Reason: Had more to say

I'd rather die in a BAD gunfight than a GOOD nursing home.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You can give a person knowledge, but you can’t make them think.
Some people want to remain fools ,only because the TRUTH requires CHANGE.

~ Unknown

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Originally Posted by deflave

It wouldn't bother me one bit if it were done safely.

[Linked Image]

Piss poor motorcycle rider, he only got two bicycles.

I can't believe how those two bicyclers attacked that man, just like a couple thugs!

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Typical of a losing debater, get foul and emotional. You are telling automobile drivers how they are supposed to change their driving to accommodate you, yet in your “multimodal” definition, there is still no evidence of this highway and millions of others that it was designed for you and your cyclist buddies to ride on a public highway without the drivers of cars and trucks to slow and swerve so you can peddle your bike down the road...

I would only ask someone to change their habits if their habits endangered me or other lawful road users. When I drive up behind a slower motor vehicle, I'd like for them to work with me to get me around as soon as they safely can. Most of the time that means they don't have to do a damn thing other than exactly as they are doing when I roll up.
I have the same expectation of a cyclist. When I am driving my motor vehicle more slowly with other road users, I will work to get them around me as soon as I safely can. I am the same when I ride my bike.

Do you have an issue with my consistent behavior and expectations?

You have still yet to describe the difficulties you would experience as a driver in the photo you posted. I'll bet you don't care to take and honest shot at that one do you hun?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I think the problem is that riding a bicycle on motor vehicle road is an inconsiderate act.

Its not wrong...its just inconsiderate.

Like paying at the express lane with a bag of pennies.

The first motor vehicle drivers were inconsiderate.

People pulling gigantic rvs are inconsiderate.

When I take the highway with machinery instead of a much longer dirt road...I am being inconsiderate.

It happens.

Bicyclists seem less remorseful however! laugh

Last edited by Jim_Conrad; 07/31/19.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remington6MM
Good point.

And I might mention the tax on fueling just one of my Peterbilts was way more than any bicycle rider ever paid. Ever price out a set of super singles and the excise tax on one of those puppies. You could buy a chitpota of bicycles for that.

After reading all this paulbanard BS, bikers just might want to stay to the right of the fog line for a few days.

It sounds like you pay tax at a level that is commensurate with the wear you cause. I mentioned the last rural ride I went on in Colorado was a 61 mile ride. Here's the pic again.

[Linked Image]free image sharing

It was a lightly traveled road with no useful area right of the fog line. I encountered few vehicles. When most vehicles approached from behind I rode into the grass on the right, stopped and waved politely as they drove by. I got a friendly reception to my behavior. The only delay I witnessed on that road was this. I noticed no cars had come from behind for 10-15 minutes. Then I heard a big rig coming up from behind beyond the bend. Without hesitation I removed myself from the road. The tractor trailer rig came slowly by with about a dozen autos stacked up behind it. This despite the fact that there were numerous places where the driver could have pulled over to let traffic vent.

I don't let the selfish behavior of others shape my behavior. I just keep right on being polite and accommodating.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Riding horses on the road......marathon runners.....the list goes on.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I think the problem is that riding a bicycle on motor vehicle road is an inconsiderate act.

Its not wrong...its just inconsiderate.

Like paying at the express lane with a bag of pennies.

The first motor vehicle drivers were inconsiderate.

People pulling gigantic rvs are inconsiderate.

When I take the highway with machinery instead of a much longer dirt road...I am being inconsiderate.

It happens.

Bicyclists seem less remorseful however! laugh

Can you identify the behavior in my previous post that was inconsiderate? I should mention that I was wearing regular shorts over my padded spandex.

When you are using your machinery on the highway, do you ignore other road users or do you help get them around you as soon as you reasonably can?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
How modest of you with your two layers of shorts!

Simply the act of me forcing people to slow down is inconsiderate.

If someone has to modify there behavior or actions because of something I am doing....well....I feel that is inconsiderate.

Just me.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
How modest of you with your two layers of shorts!

Simply the act of me forcing people to slow down is inconsiderate.

If someone has to modify there behavior or actions because of something I am doing....well....I feel that is inconsiderate.

Just me.

I do my level best to keep from slowing anyone down and most consider me anal about it. My wife wonders why I sprint across crosswalks. I am always ready to pay quickly at the end of a register transaction. Before the transaction is over if their machines allow. Our spare time in this crazy world is limited, so I respect others time. But it's also part and parcel of our existence on this heavily populated planet that we cannot plow through life unimpeded.

I apply a standard of reasonableness. To me it's perfectly reasonable that a farmer would move farm equipment down a rural roadway. I do like farm products after all. Especially sheep. It would be unreasonable for that farmer to absolutely disregard other road users in the process. It's perfectly reasonable for an RV driver to go slower than the rest of traffic. Their purchase and travel pumps a lot of much needed money into the economy. It's unreasonable for them to stack traffic up for a mile behind them in between Monarch Pass and Gunnison. Yes I saw that, and it really was a mile.

When I bicycle I will do my level best not to inconvenience anyone. I mentioned this earlier. I will not apologize if someone has to lift off the gas or ease over into the other lane. I don't consider that a heavy lift at all. If I can safely do it I will move my ass off of the road if I think I am going to hold someone up for more than a few fleeting moments. The cyclist in the pic Shrapnel posted was just a non-issue to motorists.

When a standard of reasonableness is applied folks will obviously have different ideas.

Last edited by PaulBarnard; 07/31/19.
Page 18 of 20 1 2 16 17 18 19 20

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1911a1, 62 invisible), 2,727 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,729
Posts18,514,326
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.