Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefing-room/news/458907-mormon-leaders-ban-guns-in-church

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has tightened rules on carrying guns in church, barring the practice after long discouraging it, according to the Associated Press.

The new policy was rolled out the first week of August and first distributed to Mormon leaders in Texas, where a new law allows licensed handgun owners to carry their guns in places of worship. But it will be distributed to local leaders in other states as well, according to church spokesman Daniel Woodruff.

“Churches are dedicated for the worship of God and as havens from the cares and concerns of the world,” the new policy states. “With the exception of current law enforcement officers, the carrying of lethal weapons on church property, concealed or otherwise, is prohibited.”

The new rules also come after a Mormon church was the site of a shooting in July 2018 in Fallon, Nev., where the shooter opened fire and killed one man and wounded another.

Matthew Bowman, the Howard W. Hunter Chair in Mormon Studies at Claremont Graduate University in California, told the AP the move reflects how the church has changed from its Western roots.

“It is illustrative of the church’s slow evolution away from being a largely Western rural church which it has been for a long, long time toward a more cosmopolitan, international organization,” he said.

A majority of the church’s members currently live outside the U.S., many in nations that do not have a culture of gun ownership like the U.S.

“In any organization, you have people who might desire to protect or take the law into their own hands, and I think the church in this policy is saying, ‘Please don’t. Church is a place of peace,’” Scott Gordon, president of the volunteer organization FairMormon, told the AP.

Last edited by gonehuntin; 08/27/19.

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB4

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
They're just giving the crazy's a new venue. Peace is relative to strength and defense. Fools abound.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mormon church is asking for problems.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Another gun-free zone was badly needed.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Please don’t. Church is a place of peace,’” Scott Gordon, president of the volunteer organization FairMormon, told the AP."
Accord to reality, apparently not, considering the recent shooting. All they have done is handicap the legal legal use of a gun.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gun free zones = target rich environment

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I explained to someone in my church that there is probably 4 guns in our church every Sunday. They could not comprehend that, which I understand because my town is safer than Mayberry. We don't even have an Otis.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My church from when I a kid now has several armed men scattered purposefully through tactical locations every service. It is a conscious plan. About half are off duty cops. Nobody would notice. Another acquaintance is a retired big city detective who served as head of security for a mega church some would recognize. Again, as unobtrusive as possible.

A gun free zone is an invitation. Am frankly astounded at the Mormon announcement.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'm sure that someone stopping a mass-murderer in an LDS temple would get excommunicated . . . not !

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yeah....they are just begging for a disaster of epic proportions...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"The new rules also come after a Mormon church was the site of a shooting in July 2018 in Fallon, Nev., where the shooter opened fire and killed one man and wounded another."

"and I think the church in this policy is saying, ‘Please don’t. Church is a place of peace"

Makes perfect sense........... crazy

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If a shooter tried to shoot up our church, the peace would resume in 10 seconds. The shooter likely wouldn't be resting in peace, however. It would be way too hot for that.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Guess I can never enter... ya know my hands are lethal weapons. Bunch of idiots.

Of course if you believe, then you know the world will end again and that we are a day closer every day, but one would almost have to assume we are further past the halfway mark by a long shot IMHO. Which really is not a bad thing at all. But those that have to live through all of those times....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
It is called "concealed carry" for a reason. And church is a perfect place to practice it. Maybe with the exception of the baptismal bathtub.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Might as well just start painting bullseyes over the altars.

While it's true that all liberals are crazy people, not all crazy people are liberals.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Who ever said they were thinkers?

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

I'm sure that someone stopping a mass-murderer in an LDS temple would get excommunicated . . . not !

You might be surprised.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Morewood
Gun free zones = target rich environment

Gun free target zone.

DF

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think I would carry first and worry about church policy later. I mean, when will it be discovered? Hopefully after the carrier has stopped an active shooter event. Not much to say or do in retaliation for carrying in church after a successful resolution.

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
What are the stones in the hat called? That's some crazy chit!

Seer Stones! Lol

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 08/27/19.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 60 invisible), 2,615 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,946
Posts18,480,283
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.