Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 78CJ
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
I decided to go with the 100 amp panel as this is just a rural cabin. It has 20 spaces and I currently have six circuits that will use a total of 7 spaces.

I hope your insurance company does not find out... willfully violating codes (for almost no savings) is not a good move. Checking the internet for code questions and answers shows you have no background to base your decisions on. No insult intended, but you should rethink your move...

What code am I violating?

First quickie point is NEC stating all work will be done in a workman-like way. Hooking the 200Amp line (policy of electrical company ) to a 100Amp panel would not likely pass Electrical Inspectors. The line is protected by the upstream breakers and they do not protect the box which is sized for half the amps.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Swifty52

None that I am aware of. You are just paying for a 200 amp service and only utilizing 50%.

I know, it was a rhetorical question. I am not sure why Sitka would chime in about me not knowing what I am doing when he doesn't know what he is talking about..

Interesting... I have stated my electrical background more than once on this site...

Not interested in a pissing match, but panels are readily available in many, many configurations. Sizing them appropriately is basic...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I decided to go with the 100 amp panel as this is just a rural cabin. It has 20 spaces and I currently have six circuits that will use a total of 7 spaces.

I hope your insurance company does not find out... willfully violating codes (for almost no savings) is not a good move. Checking the internet for code questions and answers shows you have no background to base your decisions on. No insult intended, but you should rethink your move...

First quickie point is NEC stating all work will be done in a workman-like way. Hooking the 200Amp line (policy of electrical company ) to a 100Amp panel would not likely pass Electrical Inspectors. The line is protected by the upstream breakers and they do not protect the box which is sized for half the amps.

Do you need a bigger shovel? Your batting about a zero...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure about Michigan state law, but in Louisiana, you have to put in a 200 amp drop, but only an all electric house by law is required to have a 200 amp main. On the house I'm remodeling, I have gas heat, stove, and hot water heater, so I didn't need a 200 amp main. I could have used a 125 amp main and been plenty safe, but the 24/48 circuit breaker box with a 125 or 150 amp mains cost more than the same circuit breaker box with a 200 amp main. So although I dont need it, I got a 200 amp main.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

None that I am aware of. You are just paying for a 200 amp service and only utilizing 50%.

I know, it was a rhetorical question. I am not sure why Sitka would chime in about me not knowing what I am doing when he doesn't know what he is talking about..

Interesting... I have stated my electrical background more than once on this site...

Not interested in a pissing match, but panels are readily available in many, many configurations. Sizing them appropriately is basic...

You are beating a dead horse here guy. I have already stated that matching the same size panel as the 100 amp rated @200 amps was the way I would go with 200 amp service. It’s not what he chose to do. If the power company won’t install the meter then so be it. If the system hasn’t been inspected for proper local codes then so be it. If he has a fire and the insurance company won’t pay because he undersized the panel so be it. His decision. But I still can’t find in the NEC or NFPA where he can’t. His gamble not yours.

Swifty
IC B2

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

How would I know your electrical background? I certainly don't follow you around on here.

I asked a simple question. And got the answer.

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

You are beating a dead horse here guy. I have already stated that matching the same size panel as the 100 amp rated @200 amps was the way I would go with 200 amp service. It’s not what he chose to do. If the power company won’t install the meter then so be it. If the system hasn’t been inspected for proper local codes then so be it. If he has a fire and the insurance company won’t pay because he undersized the panel so be it. His decision. But I still can’t find in the NEC or NFPA where he can’t. His gamble not yours.

Our power company requires me to use a 200 amp rated meter socket since I am running my new service under ground. I don't need a 200 amp panel however as the cabin is only 24x32. Can I install a 100 amp panel?

Thanks

This was my original question, I asked this because I was planning to install the panel and was second guessing the conversation I had with the POCO. I did not want to wait, nor bug anyone during a holiday weekend.

I have no idea why we are talking about permits or insurance? Why automatically assume I didn't apply for a permit. And insurance? That's a long way off if at all.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Just doin' what he does best. He knows more about everything than anybody. Don't believe me ? Just ask him.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Craigster

Just doin' what he does best. He knows more about everything than anybody. Don't believe me ? Just ask him.

Your butthurt is showing again... you have a long history of being unable to advance a single argument and want to attack me instead, again. Have you ever considered knowing something before responding?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
[quote=78CJ]

Our power company requires me to use a 200 amp rated meter socket since I am running my new service under ground. I don't need a 200 amp panel however as the cabin is only 24x32. Can I install a 100 amp panel?

Thanks

This was my original question, I asked this because I was planning to install the panel and was second guessing the conversation I had with the POCO. I did not want to wait, nor bug anyone during a holiday weekend.

I have no idea why we are talking about permits or insurance? Why automatically assume I didn't apply for a permit. And insurance? That's a long way off if at all.

[/quote]
Did I say anything about permits?

Insurance was mentioned for a simple, clearly defined reason.

IC B3

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

And neither do you, obviously, have the background to give any electrical advice, when he is not violating any codes, or subjecting himself to a denial in an insurance claim down the road.

"He is far from Stupid"

”person, who happens to have an above-average level of intelligence

– DocRocket (In reference to ElkSlayer91)

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

First quickie point is NEC stating all work will be done in a workman-like way.

What's not "workman-like" by putting a 100A panel on a 200A service?

Hooking the 200Amp line (policy of electrical company ) to a 100Amp panel would not likely pass Electrical Inspectors.
Why not? It's fully protected, and not oversized.

The line is protected by the upstream breakers and they do not protect the box which is sized for half the amps.

You don't have a clue what you are talking about, and this statement of yours proves it.

1 - There is NO breaker upstream that protects the line (your word, and not correct industry terminology) to the meter loop. It's not a line. It's called a service drop.

2 - The power company has nothing to do with or places ANYTHING in their electrical service drops to protect the box (again- YOUR non-industry WORD). It's called a breaker panel (load center), not a box.

3 - ALL PROTECTION is downstream from the meter loop.

4 - The ONLY protection UPSTREAM is ahead of the transformer where the transformer taps come off the high voltage lines. Those are called drop out fuses by the way.

Why don't you take off your Santa Claus electrical suit before you cause somebody to burn their house down or get someone killed.

"He is far from Stupid"

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
[quote=Swifty52][quote=78CJ]

Thanks

[/quote]
Did I say anything about permits?

Insurance was mentioned for a simple, clearly defined reason.[/quote]

How am I going to "willfully violate codes" without ignoring a permit?

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Good explanation ElkSlayer.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Could you point us to the “basic” NEC article that shows how to size a breaker panel to the meter loop amperage?

Maybe I missed something a loooooong time ago? /sarcasm

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
What size wire do I run from the Meter socket to the panel? I was planning on 4/0

No, not 4/0.

You meant #4. And get the #4 in THHN, not THHW.

"He is far from Stupid"

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by rost495
I can see putting a 200 amp main on a 100 amp meter loop, but the other way around...the 100 on 200 gives the ability to add another sub panel later on also.

No, you can't get an extra 100A by adding a sub-panel on a 100A Main breaker panel. You're limited by the 100A Main breaker in the first breaker panel fed off the meter can.

200A Meter can
^
^
100A Main Breaker Panel
^
^
100A Sub-Panel

"He is far from Stupid"

78CJ Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ElkSlayer91
What size wire do I run from the Meter socket to the panel? I was planning on 4/0

No, not 4/0.

You meant #4. And get the #4 in THHN, not THHW.

Thanks for the helpful post rather than attacking my use of incorrect terminology and my obvious lack of expertise that may lead to ultimate death and destruction!

Last edited by 78CJ; 09/04/19.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Craigster

Your butthurt is showing again... you have a long history of being unable to advance a single argument and want to attack me instead, again. Have you ever considered knowing something before responding?

I didn't attack you, I said "He knows more about everything than anybody."

I'd say ElkSlayer91 has pretty much shown that not to be the case .

Old Corps

Semper Fi

Get off my lawn.

FJB
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
78CJ-- Use #4 if you're using copper wire from the meter to the panel, use #2 if you're using aluminum. This is for a 100 amp main. Also the ground wire from the meter base to the ground rod needs to be a minimum of #8 if copper or #6 if aluminum' (it can be insulated or bare) and be sure to buy a ground clamp and ground rod (3/4" rod 8' long).

Added: Do you have to install you meter base and weatherhead or does the electric company do this for you? If you have to do it, you'll probably need 2/0 for the tie-in to the wires coming from the transformer. If over head, be sure to leave at least 3' lead coming out of the weatherhead on all three wires for the power company to connect to.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

148 members (41rem, 2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 22 invisible), 2,026 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,706
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.