Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I've enjoyed my Taco that now has 270K on it.
Be aware, the seat sits fairly low and your feet are out in front more than a bigger truck where it's more like sitting in a chair.

I fit fine but taller folks start squirming after a hundred miles or so...

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Decisions, decisions, won’t happen till at least next summer anyhow.

The appeal of the four-banger in the Tacoma is That appears to be the lineal descendent of the legendary R22 motor that built the reputation of Toyota trucks in the first place. Also I don’t need a truck with alla the gee-whiz I’m a bad ass factory decals that come with the bigger motor, especially in 4x4. Far more likely to get f cked with when left in the driveway where I live.

As far as hard ride and discomfort go, I’m sorta oblivious to all of that, never have test-drove a vehicle before I bought it. Doesn’t matter.

JMHO

Really appreciate all the input here

Just as a FYI -- Auto insurance company's stats generally rate thievery/vandalism of vehicles based on type, models, year and brands in given regions. So, if insurance costs might be a concern, you may want to look into that before sealing a deal on a particular vehicle.

I had a little base model, standard cab, 4 cyl R22 Toyota 2 wheel drive back in the early '90s and my insurance company raised the price of coverage mid 2nd year I owned it. I had had no traffic violations or accident claims in decades so I called asking why the increase.

I was told, based on the region I was in (which covered hundreds miles and stretched into parts of other states), their stats showed a significant increase of Toyota trucks within certain year models being stolen and/or vandalized for resale of the parts and that the premium increase covered all owners of Toyota trucks of specific year and equipment models in my region.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo
Towing capacity of the Taco should be about 6K, not 3K.

3,000 with the 4 cylinder motor on the SR.

Are you sure about that, the four cylinder diesel Hilux pulls over three metric ton.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Lightly used tacoma and if you can find one with a 6' bed get it. I had my tacoma for 10 years and it did everything I needed it to with hardly any mechanical issues. I finally outgrew it this year as it doesn't fit 3 kids and wasn't enough vehicle to tow the new camper.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by drover
Birdie,

I do see lots of Subarus with bicycle racks on them - not so many Tacomas. Maybe there is a hidden message there for you.

drover

That's cause with a tacoma ya just toss the bike in the back and go, no need for a rack!

Never made sense to me why people bought a truck, then turn it into an SUV by putting a cover over the bed.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Because they don’t make a diesel powered Subaru capable of towing 15,800lbs.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
A good friend of mine went in to buy a Tacoma, but it didn't happen. He's 6'4" and said there was no way for him to fit inside. Too tall.

Not an issue for birdy....

He might need a booster chair and blocks hose clamped on the pedals.
LOL!!!

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by drover
Birdie,

I do see lots of Subarus with bicycle racks on them - not so many Tacomas. Maybe there is a hidden message there for you.

drover

That's cause with a tacoma ya just toss the bike in the back and go, no need for a rack!

Never made sense to me why people bought a truck, then turn it into an SUV by putting a cover over the bed.

I have a 2012 Tacoma V6, love it. I have the access cab (not full back seat), nobody approaching 5 feet shoudl ever sit back there, but I can put a bunch of stuff there (guns, bows, golf clubs). ATV fits in the back with the tailgate down (tight fit between the wheel wells.

As for comfort, I am 6'2" and I find it comfy.

Last edited by Bob_H_in_NH; 09/26/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by renegade50
A good friend of mine went in to buy a Tacoma, but it didn't happen. He's 6'4" and said there was no way for him to fit inside. Too tall.

LOL!!!

No worries, the Tacoma was designed and test driven by Japanese cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

Beat me to it grin

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B3

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

LOL!!!

laugh

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, I read the whole thing..

To preface this, I'm gonna say that I generally have good luck with vehicles. I can't think of any (make that too many) that I regret buying.

And I've mostly been a Ford truck guy. F150 is my favorite truck, but that was up til about 2004 or so. I don't think there's a ford truck I'd own, made today.
And I mostly buy used. Just my preference. I've had a 96 F250 that I bought with 75000 on the clock. Sold it at 293000 miles. It's still around. I see it occasionally. My last 02 F150 was bought at 104000 miles and sold at 270000 miles. It's still around, too.

I drive a lot of miles. I bought a new 2019 outback in February. It'll have 36000 on the clock when I get home from work tomorrow. I never get in the thing but I'm impressed with what it does. And I haven't done a lot of off road with it, but it does have around 1500 miles on Forest Service FR roads. Likely 250 miles on sketchy 2 tracks and roadless areas.

Bit of an edit here;If it's ever been graded, and if the downed trees are kept removed, I call it a road.

For the guy who likes to drive a ways to see pretty country and then drive the back roads once there, I can't see a better option than the Outback. Unless, of course, you NEED a truck.
And I choke a little when I say it, but if I needed a truck today it'd likely be a Dodge.

Last edited by johnw; 09/26/19.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

LOL!!!

laugh

Maybe I oughtta be looking at the Ford Ranger instead....

https://vietnamnews.vn/economy/279975/pick-up-trucks-gain-traction-in-vn.html#mFgOeLlCtEgkKc9m.97

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I drive a lot of miles. I bought a new 2019 outback in February. It'll have 36000 on the clock when I get home from work tomorrow. I never get in the thing but I'm impressed with what it does. And I haven't done a lot of off road with it, but it does have around 1500 miles on Forest Service FR roads. Likely 250 miles on sketchy 2 tracks and roadless areas.

For the guy who likes to drive a ways to see pretty country and then drive the back roads once there, I can't see a better option than the Outback.

Tks.

My impetus for buying this vehicle in 2020 is that I want to have it paid off well before retirement. I'm 62 now, hoping to be able to work until age 70.

While working I only put 10-14,000 per year in a vehicle.

After retirement I envision travelling and camping extensively pulling either a 10' to 12' cargo trailer and at different times a small sailboat (~1,500lbs boat and trailer ).

Hence my interest in this class of vehicles.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have just under 100,000 on a 2015 2.5L Outback. Just regular maintenance, nothing broken. Sit in the back seat and you will know it's a real station wagon. It handles and brakes well but not much road feel through the steering wheel. The CVT is working well, it always seems to get the best possible out of the four banger. It is not a quiet car at speed. We get just under 30 mpg. I eat hummingbirds.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

LOL!!!

laugh

https://vietnamnews.vn/economy/279975/pick-up-trucks-gain-traction-in-vn.html#mFgOeLlCtEgkKc9m.97

Only owned 3 myself since 1989.

I drive a chebby now.

Couldnt find a decent ranger to replace the unicorn 04 4wd 4.0 i had totaled out by a 16 yr old girl last yr.

Im happy with my 04 4wd chebby Colorado anyways.
LS model, shortbed,reg cab,5 spd, 3.5L, I5

Last edited by renegade50; 09/26/19.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Still speculating, gotta buy something next year. Prob'ly my last vehicle.

Needs; some moderate off road and towing capability

The $25,000-$30,000 bracket gets me a new lower-end 4WD Tacoma (9" ground clearance/3,000lb towing capacity).

or....

a new lower-end AWD Outback (8" ground clearance/2,700lb towing capacity)....

Can't get around it, gotta have four doors and a back seat. Don't anticipate towing more'n 2,000 lbs (small boat or cargo trailer).

The Tacoma has a 5ft bed, OTOH the Outback also has a pretty generous luggage capacity, especially with the back seats folded. I'd rather leave my stuff locked in back of an Outback than under a cover in the bed of a pickup.

I expect anything badged Toyota to run forever, how do Subarus hold up?

All thoughts appreciated. Given the price of a 4Runner, I was surprised at how inexpensive Outbacks are.

Not your question, but in true 24HCF style, I will throw in another suggestion.
Highlander AWD - I got one, very happy with it.
However, if it was me, I would go with the Tacoma, you can always get a bed cover or something along those line if wanting to keep things enclosed.

highlander may be out of price range... bummer

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Sponxx
highlander may be out of price range... bummer

No worries, in my next life I’m gonna be a Doctor and marry a beautiful, intelligent and hard-working Peruvian woman, and we are gonna have bright, articulate and well-behaved kids....

....and drive a Highlander..... grin

Whatever happens, long as I don’t grow up to look like Renegade, I’m good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of the things I chose the Subaru for was it's fuel economy. Was told by the salesman that I'd likely see between 27-30 mpg. I very seldom get less than 32 or 33 mpg, and quite often better. Most any road trip will see 36-37 mpg average.

I tend to talk mine up like it's really something, but it's the lowest end base model. I went out the door for $24.5K including tax. It does have everything that I want on a car, and then some.

I built a small utility trailer some years back that I could buy back from it's owner. He is older now and never uses it. And I might put a hitch on the Outback and do that for very occasional use.
If I wanted to pull a trailer on a regular basis, I'd have a truck.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

LOL!!!

laugh

Read the ride reports on that one. It has issues. Most people that drive it say it rides like a pogo stick.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,780
Posts18,495,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.