Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hi guys, I don't know if this question has been asked recently, but i'm really looking to buy my first rifle, for some light hunting but I guess I'll be doing a lot of shooting range. I see the Winchester featherweight with CRF and a floating barrel for $830.00 a 22" barrel with a walnut stock and satin finish also has a M.O.A. Trigger System. In a .243 caliber I think the recoil would be good. On the other hand I've been checking out the Remington SPS in Stainless Steal for $700 it has 3 rings of steel, synthetic stock and a Super Cell pad for recoil with a 24" barrel. I really like the CRF on the Winchester but it it would be just fine, not to have it with the Remington. I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people and I would really like to know your opinions on this matter. I've been 3 months looking from one brand to another, and different models and at the end of the day these are the 2 Finalist. Thanks in advance guys and have a great day. 

Elliot.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Winchester's are 1-10" and unable to shoot a boolit worth a fhuqk. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Big Green RPM is typically 9" and small change and they'll Smooch/stabilize a hornie 105 BTHP in issued guise. Hint.

6 Kreedmire is your Huckleberry.

Thank me later.

Hint..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hello Elliot. If you are looking to save some money over those two choices, I'd go this route for a stainless ADL 700 .243 at $509. You can sell the included scope for about $35, putting you at $475 or so. The BDL bottom metal is not worth anywhere near the $225 price difference, as the barreled action is the same from the SPS SS to the ADL SS.

243 700 ADL Stainless Package Rifle

I would say it is well worth the money, as I have one and it is accurate. Like Stick mentions, the Hornady 105HPBT will shoot in it, and mine likes them well. Tough to go wrong with a stainless 700, and I've had many.

You can order a replacement trigger spring for about $15 from Ernie the gunsmith and install it yourself, giving you a good trigger pull under 3lbs. I swapped one out for a buddy the other day, right on the bench at the range. He had a good 2.2lb safe trigger in 10 minutes. If you don't want to do it yourself, a local smith would likely install it for you for a few bucks if you provide the spring.

Now with even more aplomb
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Jpro, Thanks for all that useful information. Your vote goes for the Remington and I never pay any attention to that ADL. Something to consider. My budget really is $900 with tax included. [/b][b]

Last edited by Elliot; 10/03/19.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My vote among those two is the 700, yes.

Are you a handloader? If not, I would likely lean toward the 6.5 Creedmoor for the ammo availability. Recoil will not be much more than the .243 and there is a lot more target-style ammo to pick from at better prices than the .243win. More rifle choices as well. I shoot both chamberings, but the Creedmoor is best for a non-handloader looking for a factory rifle for both target and big game uses.

Now with even more aplomb
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
The Featherweight in .243 Win would be my choice.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Featherweight would be my choice also.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Oh good Lord. M70 no contest.

I shot my .280 fwt last weekend into a 1/2" group at 200 yds with factory Federal 150gr ammo.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
The Featherweight in .243 Win would be my choice.

Mine as well. No question

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You Retards assemble,like Moths to a flame. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The heartbeat of any/all rifle,is the melding of RPM,throat geometry and COAL latitude. Winchester screws the Pooch hilariously there. Hint.

Pass the 7-08 and good boolits,over a Winchester 280 Goat Fhuqk "launching" 150gr underhand pitches...due the fact that the 7-08 will simply crush it. Would LOVE to see a picture of that 280 FWT piece of schit,because I'm sure she's a PEACH. In fairness and if only for more humor,they are 1-10" too. Hint. LAUGHING!

'PRO obviously nailed the obvious,in 264 Kreedmire. There's never been one built entirely wrong,like Winchesters 243Win "efforts". 264 Kreedmire Factory Fodder crushes most other chamberings attempts at same. It's a Skookum choice in rifles,from more than a few Manufacturers. Hell,even Winchester gets that one right! Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Pardon my shooting every chambering thus far cited and prolly even a "few" more that ain't(yet). Hint.

Bullets matter more than headstamps and less mechanics aligned,you've a Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your hearts for crying.

Thank me later.

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

BMR Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Elliot, I was trying to decide on a .243 last year. I considered several, including the ones you mentioned. I finally decided on a Ruger Hawkeye, which has a 1-9” twist. I had a gunsmith adjust the trigger to a very crisp 2.5 lbs. I’ve been very impressed with its accuracy with both factory ammo and my handloads.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Since caliber selection WAS NOT ASKED, I merely stuck to the topic and recommended the 70, Personally, I do not care for the 243.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Elliot
Hi guys, I don't know if this question has been asked recently, but i'm really looking to buy my first rifle, for some light hunting but I guess I'll be doing a lot of shooting range. I see the Winchester featherweight with CRF and a floating barrel for $830.00 a 22" barrel with a walnut stock and satin finish also has a M.O.A. Trigger System. In a .243 caliber I think the recoil would be good. On the other hand I've been checking out the Remington SPS in Stainless Steal for $700 it has 3 rings of steel, synthetic stock and a Super Cell pad for recoil with a 24" barrel. I really like the CRF on the Winchester but it it would be just fine, not to have it with the Remington. I know there is a lot of knowledgeable people and I would really like to know your opinions on this matter. I've been 3 months looking from one brand to another, and different models and at the end of the day these are the 2 Finalist. Thanks in advance guys and have a great day. 

Elliot.
.....................Although I would prefer the rifle format of the CRF Model 70, you as Stick mentioned, need to consider the twist rates. Me personally, would prefer a 1:9 or faster twist for a 243 to better stabilize the heavier bullets at the longer ranges should you do longer ranged shooting............That does not mean that a 1 in 10 twist for a M70 chambered in 243 cannot be accurate. A faster twist rate is just added assurance...

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Too fhuqking funny! NoSqueeze was better,when she was dead. Hint. Congratulations?!?

RPM is that which dictates what length of projectile,the platform will stabilize. "Accuracy" is an issue largely separate,when keeping things in the realm of a given platform's gross RPM handling capabilities,though rerve RPM is a nice thang to factor. Hint.

Ruger has long had a firm grip upon 243Win mechanics,in that they've been 9" RPM for a goodly while,throat nicely and offer COAL latitude greater than an OEM S/A 700. None of those things will hurt Production. Hint.

Boat Paddles so configured,have been flogged upon for decades,less issue and do nice thangs at a distance. Hint.

More than a few of same(Ruger 77's in all configurations),have been punched 243AI,due said mechanical advantages. Same goes S/S SA 700's,in all configurations and mean a schit ton of 'em +P+. Hint.

Anywhoo...the more objectively you look and savvy cause/effect,the better job one can do connecting dots out of the fhuqking gate. Despite Window Lickers Whining incessantly,the fact is,Mechanics matter more than just a "smidge". Hint.

There's a Fieldcraft 243Win headed in the mail my way and they just happen to be 1-7" and wear a 3"+ COAL magbox. They were getting blown out by Darrik for $1100 or so clams and connect dots like no other OEM offering. Hint.

Bang for the buck,the 264 Kreedmire will connect wayyyyyyyyyy more dots by default,for the gent who don't Reload and savvy such "nuances". Simply procure over the counter,roll stalwart mounts/rings and drive a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker for THE Win. You'll blow your own mind,on the first outing.

Thank me later.

Hint.................

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Too fhuqking funny! NoSqueeze was better,when she was dead. Hint. Congratulations?!?

RPM is that which dictates what length of projectile,the platform will stabilize. "Accuracy" is an issue largely separate,when keeping things in the realm of a given platform's gross RPM handling capabilities,though rerve RPM is a nice thang to factor. Hint.

Ruger has long had a firm grip upon 243Win mechanics,in that they've been 9" RPM for a goodly while,throat nicely and offer COAL latitude greater than an OEM S/A 700. None of those things will hurt Production. Hint.

Boat Paddles so configured,have been flogged upon for decades,less issue and do nice thangs at a distance. Hint.

More than a few of same(Ruger 77's in all configurations),have been punched 243AI,due said mechanical advantages. Same goes S/S SA 700's,in all configurations and mean a schit ton of 'em +P+. Hint.

Anywhoo...the more objectively you look and savvy cause/effect,the better job one can do connecting dots out of the fhuqking gate. Despite Window Lickers Whining incessantly,the fact is,Mechanics matter more than just a "smidge". Hint.

There's a Fieldcraft 243Win headed in the mail my way and they just happen to be 1-7" and wear a 3"+ COAL magbox. They were getting blown out by Darrik for $1100 or so clams and connect dots like no other OEM offering. Hint.

Bang for the buck,the 264 Kreedmire will connect wayyyyyyyyyy more dots by default,for the gent who don't Reload and savvy such "nuances". Simply procure over the counter,roll stalwart mounts/rings and drive a 6x MQ Fixed Fhuqker for THE Win. You'll blow your own mind,on the first outing.

Thank me later.

Hint.................

....I came back from the dead just to bother uuuuu Stickeeee.............Hint hint..hint............You would have missed me too much.

28 Nosler,,,,300WSM,,,,338-378 Wby,,,,375 Ruger

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I’d take the “Featherweight” all day.....everyday! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Translation for the OP, buying his first rifle:

For someone getting into the game the 6.5 Creedmoor is the best way to meet/surpass many logistical and performance requirements. This is particularly true for someone who is not handloading. Simply select one of many readily available factory rifle offerings, install a good set of mounts/rings, put an SWFA 6x scope with the milquad reticle in those rings and get to it. If you have any aptitude for shooting you'll be impressed the first time out.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
You Retards assemble,like Moths to a flame. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The heartbeat of any/all rifle,is the melding of RPM,throat geometry and COAL latitude. Winchester screws the Pooch hilariously there. Hint.

Pass the 7-08 and good boolits,over a Winchester 280 Goat Fhuqk "launching" 150gr underhand pitches...due the fact that the 7-08 will simply crush it. Would LOVE to see a picture of that 280 FWT piece of schit,because I'm sure she's a PEACH. In fairness and if only for more humor,they are 1-10" too. Hint. LAUGHING!

'PRO obviously nailed the obvious,in 264 Kreedmire. There's never been one built entirely wrong,like Winchesters 243Win "efforts". 264 Kreedmire Factory Fodder crushes most other chamberings attempts at same. It's a Skookum choice in rifles,from more than a few Manufacturers. Hell,even Winchester gets that one right! Hint.

Pardon my shooting every chambering thus far cited and prolly even a "few" more that ain't(yet). Hint.

Bullets matter more than headstamps and less mechanics aligned,you've a Goat Fhuqk. Hint.

Bless your hearts for crying.

Thank me later.

Hint.

LAUGHING!....................

For a new guy, first thing is to learn to ignore this douche. I still visit Anchorage often. Be glad to meet you any time

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NoSqueeze,

The only person you bother...is you. To the tune,in which you felt compelled to fake your death. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Now what were the "odds",that besides being a CLUELESS Fhuqk,you are also a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit? Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!..............

mempty,

You'd NEED to take it,because you couldn't "afford" it. Hint. Congratulations?!?

You Brokedick Clueless Droolers are a fhuqking hoot! Hint.

Bless your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

math',

Some things goes without sayin'. Hint.

Just sayin'.....................(grin)

clair',

Honey,bless your writhing Estrogen Levels,as you are unable to control your surging Emotions. Hint. Congratulations?!?

The only thing you "shoot" is your mouth and Imagination,though thankfully for you,Imagination and Pretend are free...so you can "afford" to "contribute",you "lucky" kchunt. Hint. LAUGHING!

Pardon my shooting it all and then some,thus being afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess. Hint.

A few 6mm's on a typical day and be SURE to try and "talk" rifle "particulars",mainly because it will be FUNNIER than fhuqk. Hint.

Looking forward to your next Hissy Fit,you poor poor(literally) CLUELESS Fhuqk. hint.

Bless your heart for crying though!

Hint.

LAUGHING!..................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Model 70 Featherweight for me, too. Not even close, really.

There should be one coming out soon in 6.5 Creedmoor, as well, that will be twisted at 1-8” so you’d have the best of all worlds.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,042 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,879
Posts18,479,074
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.