Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by jorgeI

I have not guided in a number of years, but you would still be safe. Why the need to be an ass about it?

The only absolute is the fact the guided AK hunter will be cold until reasonable to do otherwise. There are gray areas there but the main point remains. The guide calls it when it is time to go hot and that generally means shooting time is very close.

A. Go back to your original post and your "ass" question is answered
B. *I* call it when I decide to go hot, taking the Guide's suggestion of course, but I reserve the right as to when to go hot... Lastly, there WERE guides at DSC who were not absolutely wedded to the cold carry issue. It makes NO SENSE when hunting DG, other than outside the parameters discussed..

I do not see that statement conflicted with what I posted: "Name an AK guide that said you could go hot at your discretion alone. Certainly Phil did not say that and none of the guides I know ever say that. Period."

And you pulled the entire US into it where we were clearly discussing AK bear guiding.

And a charge from a wounded buff.

Yeah, and that was a really relevant argument to authority, no?

Guessing Jorge does not want to answer very simple questions.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As in many things you post, you guessed wrong again... The simple answer was at DSC, the answers given were NOT absolute, you yeah, you're wrong (again)...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by pete53
Game Warden told me this : make sure if you shoot a bear,that dead bear is pepper sprayed before i get there, so buy a can of bear pepper spray . TO your question > yes it does it helps keep the cost down on court cost,fines and attorney fees.

dumbest thing I've ever heard and totally wrong as to legalities.

We do not have "game wardens" here which opens up a lot more area... but I have heard similar.

just because you are an enforcer for the state, doesn't mean you can't be stupid at the same time. LEO often gives bad advice.

While I get the advice, its beyond stupid to even say it that way IMHO.

Just like they used to say drag the dead back into the house...

A bit of forensics, would tell that the spray was after the shot I suspect.

Its either a good shoot or not.

People in my boat with cans of bear spray bother me. LOL

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As in many things you post, you guessed wrong again... The simple answer was at DSC, the answers given were NOT absolute, you yeah, you're wrong (again)...

Can you name an Alaskan bear guide that said you can run hot?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by pete53
Game Warden told me this : make sure if you shoot a bear,that dead bear is pepper sprayed before i get there, so buy a can of bear pepper spray . TO your question > yes it does it helps keep the cost down on court cost,fines and attorney fees.

dumbest thing I've ever heard and totally wrong as to legalities.

We do not have "game wardens" here which opens up a lot more area... but I have heard similar.

just because you are an enforcer for the state, doesn't mean you can't be stupid at the same time. LEO often gives bad advice.

While I get the advice, its beyond stupid to even say it that way IMHO.

Just like they used to say drag the dead back into the house...

A bit of forensics, would tell that the spray was after the shot I suspect.

Its either a good shoot or not.

People in my boat with cans of bear spray bother me. LOL

Here it is very simple, say nothing except "I was afraid."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by coat4gun

...Also, I never hear mention how effective spray is going to be when I'm in my tent and the bear is trying to drag me out by the leg. A 325 grain 45 cal slug may slow from 1200 fsp to 1199 fps as it passes through the nylon of the tent... I don't think bear spay will pass through a water proof tent at all.

great old video back when Butch King was a scrawny kid (1990)....https://ruslar.pro/video/nNCntVuxbq4
good action starting at 11:26
I like the whole video, though. I have been emailing Butch lately asking about a silver trip in another year or so.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

That sounds personal. I have no idea of what "running hot" means (oh, never mind, that's unwashed-speak for "carrying/using"), but if I remember this all important to you drivel next time I see one, will you take my word for it or will you require a notarized statement?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That sounds personal. I have no idea of what "running hot" means (oh, never mind, that's unwashed-speak for "carrying/using"), but if I remember this all important to you drivel next time I see one, will you take my word for it or will you require a notarized statement?

Sorry, not buying the lame excuse. You were willing to accept the bet. You were willing by your own words to ask at DSC. Now you have only to provide a single name to win the bet.

I made two calls to guide/friends that were at DSC. I know their requirements. I asked who was there that might have said they would let a hunter run hot. They laughed.

One name is all it takes...

There were very few Alaska bear guides at DSC... hint...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Oh, by the way, you made it "personal" and I have a couple points to make when you fail to name a guide. And to point out the incredibly obvious, there are several levels here and you are ignoring the obvious point you could win this bet with a name. You are not trying to win, you are hiding.

And to pile on a bit, Phil did not say a thing to support your side.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, by the way, you made it "personal" and I have a couple points to make when you fail to name a guide. And to point out the incredibly obvious, there are several levels here and you are ignoring the obvious point you could win this bet with a name. You are not trying to win, you are hiding.

And to pile on a bit, Phil did not say a thing to support your side.

Well, just spoke my friend just back from an Alaska moose hunt (and it will be in his TV show next fall) and he and his dad carried hot EVERY TIME they stepped off the boat to go in the alders after moose. does that count or are you going to Bill Clinton this with technicalities? Why don't you ask Phil if he was carrying cold when he shot that bear with his Glock. BTW, there is also a well known African PH who also has a pretty large hunting business in Texas, who was on an Alaskan bear hunt (on TV) using a lovely Holland & Holland double (with two sets of barrels in 300 H&H and 500/465). In the video, he is seen loading his rifle way before any bear was spotted (pretty similar to what I described above) and they headed into the alders. He was also carrying hot. Eventually he shot it with the 300 barrels, but followed up with the big bore option into the alders once the blood trail was picked up. That said, I'll make sure to put this into my Outlook file so I can remember this "seminal" issue in my life when I attend DSC this year and if I am wrong (not the first time) I'll honor the bet and maybe some of our other forum members will be there to corroborate. I'm not in the habit of cheating folks out of ANYTHING. In the meantime, I am going to ask a few friends who've hunted Alaska as to their experiences regarding the absoluteness of your silly assed argument that has degenerated from the sublime to the ridiculous.

After all, this is right our of the article and I was merely agreeing this was the smart way to go, instead on relying on someone (your guide) you hardly know and or met to save your ass:
Originally Posted by Oldman3

. I carry a large caliber rifle in my hands, usually with a bullet in the chamber and the safety on.

Those of us who've stared down that hole know of what we speak. Do you?

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So, I have a few emails out to friends who hunted bears in Alaska. Below was my question to him followed by his answer:

Howdy, i have a question about your hunts in Alaska, specifically, your bear hunt.
The subject of carrying "hot" or "cold" whilst hunting. In Africa I'm used to going 'locked and loaded" once we step off the truck and into the bush. This discussion came up when hunting in Alaska, particularly when hunting big bears and I was told Alaskan guides to a man, simply will not allow a client to go hot until after the game is spotted and one is moving in for a shot. I can see walking miles of open country with a cold rifle, but I would not feel comfortable with a cold rifle while say, going after a moose off a river bank and into the alders with the possibility of a bear around. Can you share your experience with me?

jorge

And his response: Interesting. I was hot the entire time I was physically in the field.

I do not recall that the topic ever came up. That said, I have only hunted AK once.

On the ground in bear country w/a unloaded gun??!! I don't think so.

The only thing "hiding" is this post straight up your keester....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With pages of hoo-ha I could stand it no longer. Got myself some bear spray and every evening went out on the deck and fired a spritz. NO bears.

Guess it works - or doesn't if it's supposed to bring bears.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
And from another guide:
It just depends on the person and circumstance.
I strongly advise my fishing clients to not bring a gun at all. They get in the way and we're 100% not going to need it, and if "lightning" does strike, there's other options than they having a gun.
When hunting, again I think it's circumstantial. I wouldn't mention gun safety unless I needed to, nor would I mention loaded chambers if I didn't think I needed to.
If I think I should address both I will.

And another from a very reputable outfitter and Alaska native:
jorge,

I don't think the empty chamber thing is universal in AK at all. I think it is dependent on how the guide feels about the situation. As you know I lived in AK for many years. If I was hunting I had one up the spout always. I've hunted with folks that were fumbling for their rifle to get it loaded and the moose was gone.

Mark

One name is all it takes...

There were very few Alaska bear guides at DSC... hint...

And to be fair, from the Oracle at Delphi, Phil Himself:
We have just wrapped up our peninsula bear season and during the decompression sessions with the guides and packers the scariest stories always revolved around gun handling by clients.

When following up wounded bears we naturally have rounds chambered , but otherwise never !

So much for your "blanket" edict of ALL Alaskan guides. I am sure there are many, even the majority that follow the cold rule, but since you said ALL, well, there you are...wrong again..

I can PM you the names of at least two now.. Let me know when you've had enough (HINT)...

Last edited by jorgeI; 10/18/19.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Youse guys dont unnerstant.

This Bear Spray BS is premeditated and designed to educate folks as to the lack of need outdoorsmen, hikers, etc for guns. All ya gotta do is keep the BS handy. Ya dont reallyneed a gun and you may choot your bud being toyed with by a bear.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BUMP,,,,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ah no, just letting you keep digging. Still have not seen a name.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We can now add reading comprehension deficiencies to the rest of your "resume" or even more telling as to your character, you conveniently ignored what I wrote...

I can PM you the names of at least two now.. Let me know when you've had enough (HINT)...

Ah no, just letting you keep digging. Still have not seen a name.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BUMP,,,,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just put it in public... I bet the guide will love the advertising. Your tactics are very, very transparent. Mine should be, too.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you can go and pull a Gomer Pyle style citizen'a arrest circus? not hardly, at least not the first instance. As for the other two I quoted, it's on a public forum so here are a few. pm both sides. Once gain proving you wrong ..

here are the quotes plus the reference link:
1. Scott King: It just depends on the person and circumstance.
I strongly advise my fishing clients to not bring a gun at all. They get in the way and we're 100% not going to need it, and if "lightning" does strike, there's other options than they having a gun.
When hunting, again I think it's circumstantial. I wouldn't mention gun safety unless I needed to, nor would I mention loaded chambers if I didn't think I needed to.
If I think I should address both I will.
2. World Wide Outfitter and Alaska resident Mark H Young: jorge,

I don't think the empty chamber thing is universal in AK at all. I think it is dependent on how the guide feels about the situation. As you know I lived in AK for many years. If I was hunting I had one up the spout always. I've hunted with folks that were fumbling for their rifle to get it loaded and the moose was gone.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES

3. :Adventure 907 (handle on AR): Circumstances certainly dictate when and where I have one in the chamber when guiding. For my sheep hunts, and the majority of my guiding, I nor the client will carry one in the chamber.

The exception is when I guide SouthEast Alaska brown bear hunts. We are often still hunting over extremely tight covered salmon streams. In these situations, we carry one in the chamber. Sometimes if we have to scale a log jam or other awkward terrain, we will pull one out of the pipe.

As a guide, there is no worse feeling than turning around and seeing a muzzle pointed at you, that is for sure.

Art's vaseline

The last (4) and arguably the most renowned , I will not name because it was sent to me via email but the quote is there about three posts above your repeated horsewhippings ...

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

137 members (1eyedmule, 44mc, 3333vl, 7887mm08, 308ld, 35, 11 invisible), 1,534 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,772
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.