Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Judging by, and comparing to the tire - that's a BIG one.
I've been called a liar for stating that I have personally seen killed (not by me) western diamondbacks of 9 and 10 feet.
16 and 17 inches around - just behind the head.

Call me a liar again, boys! smile

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Strange looking video.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Judging by, and comparing to the tire - that's a BIG one.
I've been called a liar for stating that I have personally seen killed (not by me) western diamondbacks of 9 and 10 feet.

Call me a liar again, boys! smile

I saw a pic once of one 10 ft long. Mexican was standing on back of a flat bed truck with his arm holding its head as high as he could reach. The tail was still on the ground.

My cousin killed one when we were deer hunting in East Texas once with his double barrel while making a driive with his deer hound, Suzie. He was walking down a 5 foot deep dry branch looking for tracks to put her on when she was started acting up. He looked up and it was coiled and looking him in the face from about 5 ft. He would have walked right by it. It had 22 rattles and a button and he said it was a good bit longer than he was tall. He was well tanned being about half Indian but was pretty pale and shaken when he walked up to me on stand and called it a day.

Biggest ive seen myself was near 9 ft. Barry saw a big one once he reported on here iirc over 8 ft. Wish he would chime in.

I read a report of a resercher as a teen of one killed in Mexico of 11 ft.

Mark, where were those monsters you saw.

Last edited by jaguartx; 10/17/19.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
one day i was driving up highway 93 north of wickenburg, saw a buzztail in the south lane. I slammed on the brakes with the intent of backing up and running over the sucker, he made it to the knee high grass off the road. so i jumped out of the truck, wearing shorts, with a handgun to put him in snake heaven. I couldn't see him for the grass, and i got to thinking he could see me with that thermal vision. so this ol fat man started crowhopping back to the road. he won. my wife was in tears. good thing tho, about a quarter mile down the road was a highway patrol officer, probably wouldn't have appreciated me opening up from the road.

near that area, the son of a rancher i knew at spent too much time at the sultana bar in wickenburg one night, was on the way to the ranch and they saw a buzztail in the road. they stopped with the idea of stomping it to death. which they started to do. being drunk, they forgot they had taken off their heavy construction boots, and had on tennies. snake bit through the shoe, about a week in the hospital. Lucky he didn't lose his leg.

Last edited by RoninPhx; 10/17/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

smile

I'll bet!

But FWIW the one I posted a pic of, though he was an Eastern Diamondback, was 19 inches around, and had three rabbits in him, though you couldn't tell till I skinned him.

I just can't figure out how I hunted these things for 35 years in half a dozen states and I'm the ONLY human on the planet who has never seen a 9 footer!

Course, I find since I started hunting in Texas that I'm the ONLY hunter there who has never killed a #450 hog...

Last edited by ingwe; 10/17/19.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
It has taken me two days to work up the nerve to open this thread...the fact that the crew in the video didn't kill that bastard is reason enough ban all Mexicans from immigrating to the US. No civilized people would allow that monster to live.

The biggest buzzworm I've ever seen was in the Panhandle by Ogallala. Sucker was crawling across the road at a rest stop. He was about 4' and as thick as my wrist. I pointed him out to my dear, little wife and...Gawd!, you should have heard the screaming and weeping! The most embarrassing part was when she told me to shut up and get down off the roof of the truck, and that I was causing a scene....

“My horn is full and my pouch is stocked with ball and patch. There is a new, sharp flint in my lock and my rifle and I are ready. It is sighted true and my eyes can still aim.”
Kaywoodie
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Originally Posted by CCCC

text on the page says cascabel...

If that video/text was produced down in the Mexican Sonora, the term "cascabel" probably would have been applied to almost any rattlesnake - seems to be their generic term for rattlers, regardless of species. I can't see the video very well, but that back end sure seems to say "coon tail" - term down this way for a western diamondback.

There is a small community about 20 miles north of here - further down the San Pedro - named Cascabel. In older days, a very large ranch operation with that name was centered near there and, after a couple of visits to the area, I understand the reason for the name. Lots of rattlesnakes - rock outcroppings and great den places abound.

Good point...would be nice to have a close look at the beast to see...didnt seem like the cameraman wanted to do that! And Sonora might be a tad far north for a Cascabel..Im not sure...

But I DO know what a 7'3" Eastern Diamondback looks like!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

i could not imagine running into that in the woods.

Imagine then, if you will, killing it with a knife...cause thats how that one died.

I found a picture of ingwe doing him in on the internet.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I’ve killed a lot of these rascals. Several around and a little over 6 feet long. The biggest I’ve ever saw was in George West , Texas. We had a lease a little ways from the Nueces River. We were driving down a Jeep trail on a cross fence.
When we saw it , my first thought was there was a tree a cross the trail. It was a cross the road and the cleared area on both sides of the trail. The diameter really impressed me. Never gave me a chance to shoot it. Crawled under the fence and into some brush. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

smile

I'll bet!

But FWIW the one I posted a pic of, though he was an Eastern Diamondback, was 19 inches around, and had three rabbits in him, though you couldn't tell till I skinned him.

I just can't figure out how I hunted these things for 35 years in half a dozen states and I'm the ONLY human on the planet who has never seen a 9 footer!

Course, I find since I started hunting in Texas that I'm the ONLY hunter there who has never killed a #450 hog...

I've never killed a 450 either. Wife shot one with her bow that bottomed our 350 pound scale. I bet by not much though.

That said I did get an arrow in the lungs of a sow that was at least 450. We had some in pens wild caught, that the ranch hands used for breeding for food. They had scales, IIRC the biggest was a bit over 800 and I knew what 500 looked like. The pigs with her made trailing hard enough and I finally lost that trail. I';ve had hard time finding similar situations where the adrenalin the sow has must keep them going a LONG ways due to the young ones. A shame. I'd have liked to found her for a cape at least even if she was likely to old and tough to eat.

Most pigs shot are 80 to 130 appx IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CCCC

text on the page says cascabel...

If that video/text was produced down in the Mexican Sonora, the term "cascabel" probably would have been applied to almost any rattlesnake - seems to be their generic term for rattlers, regardless of species. I can't see the video very well, but that back end sure seems to say "coon tail" - term down this way for a western diamondback.

There is a small community about 20 miles north of here - further down the San Pedro - named Cascabel. In older days, a very large ranch operation with that name was centered near there and, after a couple of visits to the area, I understand the reason for the name. Lots of rattlesnakes - rock outcroppings and great den places abound.

Good point...would be nice to have a close look at the beast to see...didnt seem like the cameraman wanted to do that! And Sonora might be a tad far north for a Cascabel..Im not sure...

But I DO know what a 7'3" Eastern Diamondback looks like!

i could not imagine running into that in the woods.

Imagine then, if you will, killing it with a knife...cause thats how that one died.

I found a picture of ingwe doing him in on the internet.

the real deal

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by bowmanh
The snake looks very long in the video, but it's hard to judge how long it really is, because it's in the foreground with the small bus behind. That makes it look a lot longer than it probably is. It appears to be a Western Diamondback. The largest recorded Western Diamondback is about 7 feet and I doubt this snake is longer than that. Regardless, it's still a big one.

You didn't notice it crawed over something on the bus?

Look more closely. The snake crawls over a rock that is in front of the bus.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (44mc, 375TN, 35, 21, 358wsm, 406_SBC, 15 invisible), 1,536 guests, and 951 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,951
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.