Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I am not sure what the optimum shoulder width is, but I do know one thing it is good for that hasn't been mentioned, that I saw. The larger the shoulder the larger the bearing surface that mates with the suppressor. This is good as it helps to prevent the suppressor from loosening due to thermal changes or recoil.

As Boomer pointed out, this can be accomplished with a locknut or something similar, but then you are taking a chance that it will lock up out of alignment with the bore. I know there has been been a lot of back and forth regarding that, and I see where people have gone back and forth, but I think there is a fundamental misunderstanding of why relying on the threads being concentric to the bore will allow for good alignment. In order for two threaded members to actually thread together, there has to be some "slop" between the surfaces. Otherwise you would end up with some serious galling. That is why, when you are threading the suppressor on the barrel, before it locks up on whatever shoulder you provide, it has some wobble. Just using a jam nut, lock nut or adapter that is not set against a surface that is perpendicular to the bore means that it could still be out of alignment. Maybe not enough to cause a baffle strike when tight, but when added to the fact that we no longer have that bearing surface to keep it tight, it could become a big problem.
All of this goes out the window if the adapter is mounted semi-permanently (loctite, Rockset, etc) and then trued up with the bore, or permanently attached true with the bore.
Also, as pointed out, even if it is not true with the bore, it may not be a problem. If you are using a .308 can on a 6mm and it is 0.005 off of center, it is only going to be around 0.020" off at the muzzle of a 10" suppressor, which, as pointed out isn't even close to the amount of extra space available for the bullet to exit. It may affect your accuracy, it may not.

The one point I do agree with fully is that a 1/2" diameter thread pitch on a .308 barreled rifle will leave a very vulnerable spot in the minor diameter of the thread and the groove inside the barrel.

Last edited by HandgunHTR; 10/30/19.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Interesting. Someone before mentioned potential to loosen being reduced with more shoulder IIRC. Oh, it was he'd noticed a tendency to loosen on a CTR that's factory 5/8-24 threaded with not much shoulder... Chit, my 20ish" SS CTR measures 0.785"!

Also the 0.750", oops, 0.725" that Thunder Beast recommends for 5/8-24 threads covers 22 to 33cal.

So, how's about 9/16-28 (or 9/16- 24) threads and 30 cal? A bit less meat than industry accepted 1/2-28 and 22 cal, depending on one's math prowess .. Ok? Can we work with that on the T3X Lite?

So, this is the 6.5CM T3X Lite mentioned. It's threaded 1/2-28 at 21" where it measures about 0.630" and has an adapter up to 5/8-24 that was in anticipation of a 5/8-24 threaded suppressor which was not in hand. Nor was anyone that I recall thinking .a shouldered adapter wouldn't look like ass waiting for the suppressor.... Obviously the consensus would be not use the shoulderless adapter, but a shouldered one. Or, a 1/2" threaded suppressor. Or, cut it back, thread 9/16, and then use a shouldered adapter. Or, what's to be done here?
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/30/19. Reason: Clarity, pic added

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

So, how's about 9/16-28 (or 9/16- 24) threads and 30 cal? A bit less meat than industry accepted 1/2-28 and 22 cal, depending on one's math prowess .. Ok? Can we work with that on the T3X Lite?

wink

If you made an effort to learn this stuff instead of trying to make it up on your own, you'd see that 9/16-24 threads are an industry standard size for hunting profile barrels, as well as 40 cal pistol barrels. As I already said earlier in this thread. And it's right there in that TB thread spec a few posts above, and a couple other manufacturers publish specs for them as well. A shoulder of about .660" is generally recommended. But I'm sure you'll need responses from a couple other people before you listen...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
When you're are a prick, generally nobody gives a damn what you say. Haven't you noticed that on the many other threads where you are a prick to people and they tell you that?

Go ahead and type all you want, you're still a prick. You've already made it clear. wink

But it sure is nice to have you confirm a.050" shoulder ain't needed. What a damned relief. Ok, the prick says, no problem with the 9/16 threads on the 30 Cal TikkaT3X Lite. wink Besides coming up with that 0.660" shoulder!

To him a discussion board is, he speaks and you damned well better listen. Piss off Yondeprick.

Originally Posted by Yondering

wink

If you made an effort to learn this stuff instead of trying to make it up on your own, you'd see that 9/16-24 threads are an industry standard size for hunting profile barrels, as well as 40 cal pistol barrels. As I already said earlier in this thread. And it's right there in that TB thread spec a few posts above, and a couple other manufacturers publish specs for them as well. A shoulder of about .660" is generally recommended. But I'm sure you'll need responses from a couple other people before you listen...

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
When you're are a prick, generally nobody gives a damn what you say. Haven't you noticed that on the many other threads where you are a prick to people and they tell you that?

You know why that doesn't bother me? Because the people who get upset at me are the blowhards who want everyone to think their hot air is worth listening to. I don't have much patience for a blowhard, and the opinion of a guy like that just doesn't mean much. It says a lot about you that you've gotten so worked up about this when it's something you obviously know very little about.

BTW you must really struggle with basic math. .660" diameter gives about .050" (.049", close enough) shoulder for a 9/16" thread.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Yondering

You know why that doesn't bother me? Because the people who get upset at me are the blowhards who want everyone to think their hot air is worth listening to. I don't have much patience for a blowhard, and the opinion of a guy like that just doesn't mean much. It says a lot about you that you've gotten so worked up about this when it's something you obviously know very little about.

BTW you must really struggle with basic math. .660" diameter gives about .050" (.049", close enough) shoulder for a 9/16" thread.

Dearest Yonderguy. I have no feelings for you so couldn't possibly be upset. I just don't care for the way you are a prick on the Fire. That's your deal though... .

Will, try again here, directly to you with the full picture since you are looking down from that really tall horse...

The intense f'ing math is important here. In this case, the 30 cal T3X Lite barrel in question measures 0.628" or 0.630" at 21" OK? Not 0.660". Options discussed include 1/2 threads with lots of shoulder and not much internals (don't think anyone is promoting that as ideal or even reasonable.). Or 9/16 threads and less shoulder than you say is recommended but otherwise ok internals. Or 5/8 threads and basically no shoulder, which we've already been through ad naseum. Focusing on this.... Have any input? For a 5/8 threaded suppressor....

Here's the deal. I posed the question, and do so again just for you. That for such a barrel, is saying screw the generally recommended shoulder and opt for the 9/16 threads to maintain the internal, going to be AOK? My ignorant opinion is hell yes. Of course alignment with the bore will be varified. (Just like it was with no shoulder example, but I digress.) Got it? Recall, please by god recall, its not 0.660"!, it's. 0.630"... And ideally a solution is sought that doesn't require custom work beyond the threading and is not proprietary.

So, anything workable here with off the shelf parts?

If you feel that you have already addressed this specific example, well do point it out as your math comments seem to indicate that you missed an important point in the discussion.... wink

Last edited by MtnBoomer; 10/31/19. Reason: Clarity for discussion.

--- Kid Rock 2022

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Rhettsker
Guys,

What have you found to be the ideal dedicated suppressed hunting rifle rig. This will be for general purpose hunting from Africa to Texas (eland to hogs). Custom or not does not matter, I just need some guidance and direction from those with much experience as I transition my arsenal over to suppressors. Thanks in advance, R

6x45............

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
30-06
Barrel measures 0.630"
Suppressor is threaded 5/8-24
Solution? Preferably with no custom work beyond threading.

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
30-06
Barrel measures 0.630"

1/2x28.... good adapter.... rock on....

Schitt ain’t that hard.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
30-06
Barrel measures 0.630"

I would go with 9/16" threads and then put a 5/8"-24 adapter on it that has a machined shoulder on it that the suppressor can lock up against,with that adapter locked in place with Rock-set. But, then again, I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy that has crap luck, so I do everything I can to reduce Murphy's influence in my life.

My feeling is that you could do exactly what Dogshooter recommends and be just fine, however there is a risk.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Ok, I am almost convinced. LOL

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
After thousands of rounds.... I’m almost convinced too.... laffin...

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
After thousands of rounds.... I’m almost convinced too.... laffin...

grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by HandgunHTR
30-06
Barrel measures 0.630"

I would go with 9/16" threads and then put a 5/8"-24 adapter on it that has a machined shoulder on it that the suppressor can lock up against,with that adapter locked in place with Rock-set. But, then again, I am a belt and suspenders kind of guy that has crap luck, so I do everything I can to reduce Murphy's influence in my life.

My feeling is that you could do exactly what Dogshooter recommends and be just fine, however there is a risk.

Handgun HTR,
Do you know or can recommend a gunsmith that does the type of work you mentioned above. Any pics?
Thx, R

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Rh, I am pretty sure the recommendation is not smith work beyond cutting the threads. Unless something needs, or is desired to be timed, or see below, to verify alignment.

Good threads cut 9/16-24.
Done
An adapter like this, with Rockset (or another high temp thread lock).
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-par...adapter-9-16-24-to-5-8-24-prod86836.aspx
Done
Verify alignment with bore. (Your smith could surely do this and trim the shoulder of the adapter if wanted or needed....)
Done
Good to go.

Anyone claim that ain't no good? Please explain.

Same company as linked above but may be a different size.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Rockset...... never done it.....

“Check bore alignment”...... never bothered.....

9/16-24.... why by two adapters....

1/2-28.....quality Smith.... quality adapter.... “righty tighty”.... and many,many, many thousands of suppressed rounds through at least a dozen different rifles and cartridges.

No problems..... ever.....

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Hey, even from over here on the couch, it'd appears to only take one adapter. grin

--- Kid Rock 2022

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Nope...... most .22 CFs are threaded 1/2x28...... so if your can is 5/8x24..... and you thread some schitt 9/16x24..... you need a 1/2x28 - 5/8x24 adapter to run your can on the .22CFs..... and a 9/16x24 - 5/8x24 adapter to run your sporter barreled ‘06 (or whatever other schitt you threaded in that pitch).

Hence.... the necessity..... for two adapters.

If it ain’t 5/8x24..... thread it 1/2x28.... then you only need one adapter.....

Savvy....... or should I get the crayons out?

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I think he's going to have multiple rifles with their own suppressors, and adapters.... It ain't my money. LOL Oh hell, what if if we got a Montana in the mix, we'll need three! laugh

--- Kid Rock 2022

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Lol, its only money.😀

Judges 21:25
“Everyone did what was right in his own eyes.”

Liberal=liberated from God...How's that working out?
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,623 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,515
Posts18,509,518
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.