Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
My "non-issues" may be because I'm not dialing and usually not moving them from gun to gun.

Camp is where you make it.
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I didn't read all this but did see the howa mentioned. I think the howa and vanguard are easily the best for the buck available right now. If you don't reload and want options forget the 243 win and just get a 6.5 creedmoor. You won't notice a difference in recoil but you will have access to much better options in low cost high performance ammo.

Anything creedmoor has been chambered to more modern and better chamber dimensions and twisted right. The throats on the 6.5 can be a little long but they still shoot well loaded at mag length and you don't reload anyways. I really like my 6 creed but the 6.5 gives you more factory options although the 6 creed is catching up and has way more good loads available now than 243 ever did or will due to superior twist.

I'd get a vanguard or howa 6.5 creed for under $500 and put 3-9 super sniper on it for $459 black friday price. If that's too far over get the fixed 6. If you really want the smaller 243 get the howa 6 creed.

Stay away from leupold 2-8. They have the worst most inconsistent adjustments of almost any scope. If you have to go leupold the 3.5-10 is usually one of the better bets but so is almost any other mid range brand.

Some people here are nostalgic and that drives their decisions. If that's the way you are than just buy on emotion. If you want top performance for your buck then a 10 twist 243 simply cannot hang with any of the creedmoors. Their faster twists allow higher BC bullets which is a gift that keeps on giving.

Look at some charts and compare a 243 win 100g fed blue box, win power point, or rem cor lock to a 6 creed hornady 105 HP or 108 eldm. Look at wind drift, drop, and speed at range. Consider 1800 fps a minimum speed for impact on big game. Below that many bullets don't expand and can lead to penciling through game and poor terminal performance. The point a round drops below 1800 is what you should typically consider max hunting range. The creedmoors and their higher BC bullet options totally outclass a 10 twist 243.

Start with what offers the best performance for the buck. Learn to shoot and enjoy what it will do. Then add the nostalgic safe queen stuff that's like grandpa had as you get older and you have the money to spend on stuff that looks pretty but is hamstrung out of the gate performance wise.

Go howa, one of the creedmoors, a ss fixed or 3-9, and lots of great factory ammo that's only about $20 a box. You'll amaze yourself with what you can do and spend your time building your skills with confidence that you have the right gear to do it.

Bb

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Well said BB, you nailed my thoughts as well.

Semper Fi
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Howa/Vanguards are tanks. They shoot well, but you need a Sherpa to haul them for you.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Long story short... took me about 4 months to finally pick a rifle to buy... settle for an ADL combo for my first rifle. Pay for it Saturday, went to pick it up Thursday (my day off) the rifle was dented and scratched up, they offer to exchanged it for another one but I had to wait another 3-4 days. I was piss so I just settle for a Remington 783 combo for $260 that they had in stock brand new in a box. I figure I'll get this one and then get the true and forever rifle once I figure out what is exactly I need in a rifle. More than likely I would get the Remington CDL in Stainless Steel. By the way I got the 783 in .243 like I wanted but the next rifle will be 6.5 Creedmore or a .308 but I have to admit that I will look at the other brands that you guys have advise too.Thanks.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You wayyyyyyyyyyy fhuqked up,which is especially funny,due how crystalline the intel was/is. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Better go buy a gallon of bleach,for Stench Removal.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Hey Big Stick, the only reason why I'm not bother is because since I never had a rifle before, I wouldn't know what a good quality rifle is , or a bad quality for that matter, I can tell you that the reason MAIN reason why I wanted the rifle was to kill a Coyote that has been taking my chicken lately and about a month ago ate my rooster and 2 chickens. I know you have lots a Knowledge when it comes to rifles, but I can tell you that I'm happy with the rifle and it keeps me entertain while I wait for that damn coyote to comeback. Next rifle I get I will definitely be a Good quality rifle. thanks for all your help.

If you are helping someone and expecting something in return, you are doing business not kindness.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Just because you've never had a steak,doesn't mean a Schit Sandwich tastes good. Hint. Congratulations?!?

I'm enjoying the excuses. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Elliot
Congratulations on your first rifle. Getting it in .243 I think was a good idea since that is the caliber you originally wanted. Now you can try it and not have to look back and wonder if you should have went with it. 260 bucks for the combo sounds like a good deal.

Finding that perfect rifle is a journey and that means trying out different rifles, calibers and scopes. You will learn a lot and realize what features you prefer in a rifle. That journey is also half the fun so don't try to rush things.

Best of luck and let us know how that new 783 shoots.

E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Thanks IMR4350, That's exactly what I intend to do.

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
That is not even a consideration as far as I'm concerned between the two.

WINCHESTER any day, all day over the Remington!

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
E
Elliot Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Dixie_Rebel
That is not even a consideration as far as I'm concerned between the two.

WINCHESTER any day, all day over the Remington!

Yeah, it's becoming at the end, a very hard choice for me. I believe Winchester is more classy and has better Reputation than Remington.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There's nothing "classy" about 1-10" RPM in .243" bore sizing. Hint. Congratulations?!?

Doubly so,when Winchester has a 3" COAL magbox inherent. Hint.

Bullets still matter most. Hint. LAUGHING!

Bess your heart for trying.

Hint.

Laughing!...................

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

149 members (219DW, 44mc, 007FJ, 7887mm08, 35, 11 invisible), 1,367 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,869
Posts18,478,698
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.