Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I have a hunting cabin in Vermont that is about 6 hours from home. I have property to hunt in Pennsylvania so I bought the land in Vermont for a different experience and because grouse were plentiful at the time. The past few years, the hunting has not been good and it is a lot of driving when I have as good and often better hunting around home (better in PA for deer and grouse are about equally poor.) The idea of selling the place in Vermont has been crossing my mind lately. I would love to buy in Minnesota or somewhere with wild pheasant, good grouse numbers and big deer. The problem is that it would be a 20 hour drive to get there. That isn't feasible for me right now.

I would want to limit my drive to 12 hours or less each way. I would like to have good deer and bear hunting but plentiful upland birds (wild ones) of some type would be my priority. When I look in all directions from home, the only real options seem to be Michigan or Maine unless I am missing something. It seems that I could drive 10-12 hours and get to some very good hunting areas in Ontario or Quebec. I don't speak French so I have been investigating Ontario a bit. I don't have a lot of money to buy additional land but I could probably get about $150k by selling the Vermont property to use for a replacement.

I know that I would have to show a passport to cross the border but that is no problem. I have no criminal record so transporting a rifle or shotgun would not be a big issue. I guess it would be hard to get a loan/mortgage but I could probably buy something with cash if I sold the other property. Is there any other downside to going into Canada to but a property?

GB1

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Looking closer at maps, Quebec would be easier but the language might be an issue. West and North of Ottawa are possibilities. Ottawa is about 7.5 hours from my house.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
most of the French Canadians I encounter in northern NY are somewhat literate in English. I drive 14 hrs to get there; they drive 2.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Language won’t be a problem
I’ve worked with tons of guys from Quebec in the bush and I’ve gone there twice Bear huntin. I never met a Frenchman yet who couldn’t understand and speak English—some just prefer not to.
If you’re not Québécois don’t even think about talking French—they would know immediately and they don’t like it.
I guided a guy from Paris, France and he spoke to the resort owner in English—when I asked him why he said he couldn’t understand them and didn’t like being laughed at.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I’m not sure about Canada east of the Rockies but I know that they tend to be more liberal than their western Canadian counterparts. My buddy has a beautiful chunk of old growth that winds down to their beachfront cabin and their own private cove. I’ve mentioned it before but property taxes are astronomical. They were paying $1,000 per acre per year in property tax 😫. They sold off 80 acres keeping 20 acres and the main beachfront cabin and carried the 80 million dollar contract on the 80 acres they sold. This is around the Parksville area north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

The deer hunting can be very good and the bear hunting can be unparalleled for big bears. The rules regarding firearms and non resident hunters, guide requirements, etc have precluded us from dealing with the ridiculous hoops and red tape. We’ll haul one of the boats up there every spring and leave it through summer for fishing but there’s plenty of opportunity in this country as far as hunting is concerned without the hassle.

I love western Canada and the people. They’re polite, friendly and they make great neighbors.

When I was in your position and on the prowl for a place to put up a nice cabin for hunting I looked for several years. I’d narrowed it down to Alaska and then traveled all over the state in search of the perfect spot, finally settling in SE Alaska. I know that’s not pertinent to your situation but finding a good hunting place usually means getting away from population centers and putting some miles between you and civilization. I can fly north and catch a float plane to my place in the same amount of time it takes me to drive the the NW corner or the NE corner of this state. I’ll leave a truck and Suburban at our place up north as well as guns, gear and fishing tackle so I can just jump on a flight and go without any hassle.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kkahmann

I guided a guy from Paris, France and he spoke to the resort owner in English—when I asked him why he said he couldn’t understand them ....

lol, I hear ya, man. funniest thing I ever heard (and saw) was a man from France trying to speak with a Cajun fellow I worked with.

T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks guys. Property taxes of $1000 per acre is insane. I’m interested in the Ottawa River Valley. I keep coming across Renfrew County. If the taxes are high, I’ll scrap the idea. I thought my $2,000 per year in Vermont was bad.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
$80M for 80 acres?

Manhattan money.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like a lot of dollars and headaches for a deer and a few grouse. Cheaper and easier to find a resort and make an annual trip out of it. They need money, you want memories...its a win-win.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Hey!, evening. The most birds in the last 3-4 yrs seems to be up northern Ontario eastern side around the New Liskard area. Not sure if that's close enough for you or not. When your way up north out of the farming areas most land is government land & anyone can hunt it, not sure about non resident??? Hope it helps. Bill out 🐾👣🐾👣🇨🇦

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by WTM45
$80M for 80 acres?

Manhattan money.

Something isn't right there.

lisings map

This site ^ shows all listings that are in cahoots with a main stream realtor listing service in Canada, zoom in and have a look around. The listings will show annual property taxes. If you play around with "filters" on the top right you can get it down it just land, otherwise you're looking at all listings including residental, commercial etc.

Last edited by Salty303; 11/13/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
They sold off 80 acres keeping 20 acres and the main beachfront cabin and carried the 80 million dollar contract on the 80 acres they sold. This is around the Parksville area north of Nanaimo on Vancouver Island.

Owner held $80M note on the sale of 80 acres without a dwelling?

That's what I'm referring to in the above post.

Guess there are suckers born daily, but I'd be damned if I am paying $80M for 80 acres unless it is a multi-high-rise units housing rent generator.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
The first problem I’d have is coming up with 80M

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Buy in South Dakota and fly out.

Keep an old jeep grand Cherokee out there.

I am MAGA.
T
Theeck Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

I’ve thought about doing something like that in Montana. It would be a logistical nightmare though. I’d have to leave moat of my gear there and wouldn’t know how to get from the airport to the property and back.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Not if you want to shoot deer with a rifle.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I love Canada. I dont like their laws.

Canadian laws would be a logistical problem for me.

There are such things as airport cars. You just leave them there.

Or you could get a ride.

Folks are friendly.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by 19352012

What do you mean?

South Dakota is a slug state?

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 19352012

What do you mean?

South Dakota is a slug state?

Tags suck to get in South Dakota. My inlaws lived there. They use to be easier but blue tongue thinned the herd and now it's hard to NRs to get them.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Thats too bad.

I guess they have awful good pheasant hunting.

North Dakota maybe?

I am MAGA.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 12344mag, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,058
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.