Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Lately have been buying a few steel-tubed, El Paso Weavers, mostly to put on "classic" rifles, but partly to see if they were actually as reliable as I remembered---which means they sighted-in pretty easily with the correct number of clicks, and then stayed that way. So far, so good. That does not mean they're as good as today's better scopes, but some of today's scope manufacturers could learn something from 'em.

Incidentally, Bushnell scopes orignated when Dave Bushnell took some circa-1950 Weavers to Japan and said, "Can you copy these?" The folks in Japan said sure, and did. On my first safari in 1992, the father of my PH was born and raised in what was then called Rhodesia, and had done a BUNCH of buffalo culling with his .458 Winchester, because back then it was considered "normal" to clear out wildlife to make room for domestic animals, especially cattle. The first scope he put on his .458 was a 2.5x Bushnell, during the 1950's. He still had it on his rifle, and said it had never lost zero.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So, why can't a company reverse-engineer a couple old Weavers, a Nightforce SHV, and an SWFA, figure out what makes them reliable, then get some cheap labor somewhere to reproduce it? Seems like even Leupold could do that if they actually wanted to.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
...then get some cheap labor somewhere to reproduce it?

#MAGA

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the confidence it takes to hunt with a rifle that’s not zeroed.
WOW I’d go Leupold zeroed before Swfa Nightforce or bushy unzeroed and I hate leupolds.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It helps to have excellent pointing skills....and be real close....

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by fredIII
I’m still trying to wrap my head around the confidence it takes to hunt with a rifle that’s not zeroed.
WOW I’d go Leupold zeroed before Swfa Nightforce or bushy unzeroed and I hate leupolds.

Ya unbelievable...

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by battue

I could understand swap barrels with pre determined zero or a QD mount but to mount a fresh scope and hunt. Who in the fûck does stupid shït like that.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Judman

Ya unbelievable...

Guys are impressed with videos of how to do stuff that any donkey should be able to do.
Be well spoken and aggressive have a e8 rank when departing the service and tricking guys into complete bullshit ain’t hard. Hint.
I zero my rifle and my CHICK kills lotta game because I zero hers as well. Rehint. 😉😉

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Oh I know, if you remember right, I've been skeptical for a loooong time... 🙄🤔

Ain’t easy havin pals.
D
djb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by moosemike
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Hunting with good "iron" sights does provide a certain level of confidence that something mysterious hasn't happened inside 'em....

That's a major consideration for me. Maybe with today's scopes it shouldn't be but it still is.

I have had more iron sights go bad while hunting than scopes. It usually was due to me being a dummy and leaning a gun against a tree and having it fall over and bend something. Happened twice before I got smart enough to stop leaning guns on things crazy

I just had another Leupold 3-9 go bad on me (wondering POI and failed to adjust; there is a thread on it). Honestly, the issue would probably not cost me a deer at 100 yds, but it doesn't build confidence and it
is frustrating as heck trying to develop loads and/or sight in. On a longer range shot, there would become an issue.

The truth angers those whom it does not convince
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue

I could understand swap barrels with pre determined zero or a QD mount but to mount a fresh scope and hunt. Who in the fûck does stupid shït like that.

Those who have the large box store counter guy mount/eyeball the scope and then go hunt? Can't see the pros doing it.....

laissez les bons temps rouler
16bore Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Seems if the cossahairs are centered on the scope they aren’t usually off by a whole lot.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by 16bore
Seems if the cossahairs are centered on the scope they aren’t usually off by a whole lot.

🤣🤣😂🤣😉😉😎. 16 you are a mean fûcker. Lmfao.

All my barrels are bent and I run 20moa rails.

Last edited by fredIII; 11/25/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 16bore
According to the masses...

There it is...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

I remember that as well as a how to video that gets zero in one or two shots. Took awhile but the bullshit flag and a 15 yard penalty has been thrown. LOL.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Originally Posted by peeshooter

I thought you said second focal plane scopes are 100% worthless. LMFAO!

Feel free to quote where I said exactly that. I’ve killed more in a single week with SFP scopes than a lot of “hunters” will kill in their lifetime. For medium to long range use SFP introduces potential issues that do not need to be there.

I’ve killed a bunch of animals with scopes on muzzleloaders that never had a single round put on paper. I’ve killed deer after mounting a scope without ever firing a shot before killing the animal. I’ve killed them with iron sights, peep sights, BSA’s, Leupolds, Vortex, Zeiss, Swaro, etc, etc, etc.

So what. Because it can hit a 12” target at 50 paces it’s “good”. No. A scope is supposed to steer bullets correctly and consistently. A toaster is supposed to toast my bread. If it burns, I’m not happy just because the bread is edible.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F

Feel free to quote where I said exactly that. I’ve killed more in a single week with SFP scopes than a lot of “hunters” will kill in their lifetime. For medium to long range use SFP introduces potential issues that do not need to be there.

I’ve killed a bunch of animals with scopes on muzzleloaders that never had a single round put on paper. I’ve killed deer after mounting a scope without ever firing a shot before killing the animal. I’ve killed them with iron sights, peep sights, BSA’s, Leupolds, Vortex, Zeiss, Swaro, etc, etc, etc.

So what. Because it can hit a 12” target at 50 paces it’s “good”. No. A scope is supposed to steer bullets correctly and consistently. A toaster is supposed to toast my bread. If it burns, I’m not happy just because the bread is edible. [/quote]

You are very accomplished. ? How old are you.

Also very brave to hunt a gun that wasn’t zeroed! was wondering when you were going to become human for us mortals.

I prefer SFP for hunting and toast is [bleep], biscuits and gravy is where it’s at. [/quote]

Was a great time to make an exit.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Teenagers do all kinds of things. It isn’t exactly difficult to bore sight a rifle to where it’ll hit a 6-8” target at sub 50 yards. And, it was probably a Leupold.

Guys are impressed with videos of how to do stuff that any donkey should be able to do.
Be well spoken...

I’m not sure what’s more amusing, that you can’t grasp that people appreciate actual information being shared? That being well spoken is somehow a “bad” thing? Or that it wasn’t very long ago that you were as ignorant of long range shooting as most, and now you “know....

Skeptical of what? That someone who isn’t a Pre-diabetic, can hunt, kill, and has a clue about equipment, and doesn’t talk about things he’s never used?

Be veeery skeptical.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Sorry international man of mystery!!

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Who knows, no face, pics of lots of other folks, with faces blacked out?? Who the fuuck knows if your not pre diabetic, can hunt, can shoot?? Nobody.....Grin

Ain’t easy havin pals.
Page 9 of 22 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

170 members (44automag, 1_deuce, 30Gibbs, 300_savage, 444Matt, 204guy, 23 invisible), 1,750 guests, and 986 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,206
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.