Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Hah! I'll get right on babysitting no hunting yankees for free!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
From the article:

The sheriff says wild hogs are dangerous, travel in packs, but they're rampant in Texas. If folks do encounter one, it's best to stay away, and call Texas Parks & Wildlife officials.

Like hell!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Do you happen to know how much that one weighed in at?

Looks about the same weight class as the one that menaced me.

The REALLY big ones resemble rhinoceroses in proportion, head looks small relative to the body, long flat back, I figure from domestic hog ancestry.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
From the article:

The sheriff says wild hogs are dangerous, travel in packs, but they're rampant in Texas. If folks do encounter one, it's best to stay away, and call Texas Parks & Wildlife officials.

Like hell!

The REALLY big ones resemble rhinoceroses in proportion, head looks small relative to the body, long flat back, I figure from domestic hog ancestry.
i'll guess about 180

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter
From the article:

Like hell!

i'll guess about 180

LOL.... That's the hog everyone guessed the weight on awhile back. laugh

I happen to know exactly what he weighed...

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickt300
Originally Posted by luv2safari
I see your good Governor signed the bill to remove about all restrictions regarding killing the hogs, including no license necessary.

The cost of the hunts still keep me here. If they were less expensive I think many guys would go to TX to kill a bunch of the vermin. However, I hear that all the hunting does little if any good in reducing populations and their destruction.

I wish I could afford to "help". wink

A pet peeve of mine is people saying it is too expensive to hunt hogs. When I take anyone out on my leased properties (paid for by me) I spend around $50. on gas, I have to be on the properties with them to protect my stock and make sure they don't shoot anything they shouldn't. So that means I have to drive 150 miles, stay up all night and drive home another 150 miles. Not to mention maintaining the feeders which hold 240 pounds of corn (also paid for by me) and typically I clean the pigs that are shot. Add to this pigs do not run on a routine, meaning generally they do not come when the feeders throw corn and on any given night they may be somewhere else. For some dickweed to say $125. to $150. for a day hunt is too much shows they are cheap thoughtless jerks.

Hey dickweed...

Maybe this will help your condition.

You're the last type I would pay to hunt with or near.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by rickt300
A pet peeve of mine is people saying it is too expensive to hunt hogs. When I take anyone out on my leased properties (paid for by me) I spend around $50. on gas, I have to be on the properties with them to protect my stock and make sure they don't shoot anything they shouldn't. So that means I have to drive 150 miles, stay up all night and drive home another 150 miles. Not to mention maintaining the feeders which hold 240 pounds of corn (also paid for by me) and typically I clean the pigs that are shot. Add to this pigs do not run on a routine, meaning generally they do not come when the feeders throw corn and on any given night they may be somewhere else. For some dickweed to say $125. to $150. for a day hunt is too much shows they are cheap thoughtless jerks.

Had to laugh when I read this. My BIL's BIL has a ranch in east Texas. He gets visited by hogs on a rotation and they do a lot of damage on the nights they come. He's got a day job and so do his boys so the only time they take the time to maintain their feeders is during deer season.

One day I walked the property with my BIL and did some calculating on what it would take for me to drive out there and get the place ready myself to kill some pigs and I soon came to the realization that - apart from the money involved in getting there and back home again, the cost of putting out feed and new batteries for the feeders and whatever else I'd need to do - I'd be there for weeks getting the pigs habituated to coming on to the property more often than they do - and it would hardly leave me with any time to shoot them.

All things are always on the move simultaneously. - W.S. Churchill
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Mayor of Monahans Texas was attacmed and nearly killed years ago by one when he left his gun to go behind some bushes to drop an Obama on a dove hunt.

Free range domestic hogs will come running when someone takes a crap, they eat it.

................. Trap some hogs and ship them to San Francisco.........

Winner winner, chicken dinner!

Old guy, old guns.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stxhunter
From the article:

Like hell!

i'll guess about 180

LOL.... That's the hog everyone guessed the weight on awhile back. laugh

I happen to know exactly what he weighed...

Oh good, now I don’t feel like so much of a sissy (180 lb boar? Phhhhhhht!I ain’t skeered)

The photo I took of that boar that didn’t wanna give ground to me are being held for ransom on pbucket, I’ll see if I can retrieve em.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
How would feral hogs do against timber wolves?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by whelennut
How would feral hogs do against timber wolves?

Wild boar and wolves coexisted for centuries in Europe and across Asia, both were known to kill and eat humans on occasion.

Pigs run in packs of related sows and they all run in to attack when a piglet squeals. Boars are solitary and territorial.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
first of all I grew up in texas and I know some of you guys actually shoot hogs from time to time. Its kinda funny most guys (my texas friends) consider themselves hunters. so here is a conversation. "so you guys got hogs down there?" oh yes! we have lots of them. then I say "well when was the last time you shot one?" crickets, There is no answer. or its maybe oh I went with my cousin on so and so's property 4 years ago and saw one run in the trees my cousin missed it. If texas didn't have so much private land the hogs would all be dead. Where I live, the hunters would cure the hog problem in about 2 days if they ever started living in this area and the fish and game classed them as a non game animal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Mayor of Monahans Texas was attacmed and nearly killed years ago by one when he left his gun to go behind some bushes to drop an Obama on a dove hunt.

Free range domestic hogs will come running when someone takes a crap, they eat it.

................. Trap some hogs and ship them to San Francisco.........

We have a winner!

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
first of all I grew up in texas and I know some of you guys actually shoot hogs from time to time. Its kinda funny most guys (my texas friends) consider themselves hunters. so here is a conversation. "so you guys got hogs down there?" oh yes! we have lots of them. then I say "well when was the last time you shot one?" crickets, There is no answer. or its maybe oh I went with my cousin on so and so's property 4 years ago and saw one run in the trees my cousin missed it. If texas didn't have so much private land the hogs would all be dead. Where I live, the hunters would cure the hog problem in about 2 days if they ever started living in this area and the fish and game classed them as a non game animal.

I see your ignorance has not solved itself since the last time I read a few of your posts.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We need tigers, but they are gonna have to be big fuggin’ tigers....

.....might be significant she chooses a boar, and not a pack of sows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Leopard getting its mass kicked by group of angry sows....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I’m gonna guess most predation in their original Old World range falls on the boars. Perhaps younger ones.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have worked in various parts of East Texas for too many years to remember.
Several years ago, a man near Pennington, Texas told me about an event that
occurred about 1905 on some land which he owned at the time of his story.
Several members of an extended family lived in the same large frame house.
Seems the self appointed "Bell Cow" of the family was a difficult person to
get along with and ended up making true enemies of all the brothers, cousins,
and others living in the house. Somehow a shotgun accidently fired and she
died the same night. Knowing the Sheriff would be coming out, she was
moved to the barn,quartered and fed to the hogs. High Sheriff did investigate;
there was nothing left of Aunt Jane; all family members had alibis and nobody
went to jail. Or so the story went.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Funny post!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Bruce is neither. He once took me out quail hunting all day, to his favorite spot, using his own gas, and walked the brush to push birds to me.

luv2safari is simply a fine guy, and you took his post the wrong way.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 222Sako, 21, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,412
Posts18,470,461
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.