Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Originally Posted by Blackheart
So you have alot of good paying jobs out there in the Tennesee boonies ? The cost of living and taxes really low ?

No special job opportunities I am aware of. The cost of living and taxes are reasonable.
Taxes are high here in NY. Not real sure about the comparative cost of living otherwise except I know gasoline and heating fuel is comparatively high. Gas prices make a big difference over the course of a year when you live rural. Especially up here where you really better have 4 wheel drive if you expect to make it to work regularly in the winter. We've got a foot of snow on the ground here right now. Heating costs are also a major expense this far North. My dad and mother inlaw both have heating bills of about 4k per year for their 2 story 1800-2000 sq ft homes.

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
So you have alot of good paying jobs out there in the Tennesee boonies ? The cost of living and taxes really low ?

No special job opportunities I am aware of. The cost of living and taxes are reasonable.
Taxes are high here in NY. Not real sure about the compative cost of living otherwise except I know gasoline and heating fuel is comparatively high. Gas prices make a big difference over the course of a year when you live rural. Heating costs are also a major expense this far North. My dad and mother inlaw both have heating bills of about 4k per year for their 2 story 1800-2000 sq ft homes.

No doubt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

It depends on location as to house size.
And not necessarily the local economy.
I live in a county that is well below average for income
in Pa. Not bottom, maybe bottom third.

But, Baltimore and DC are 150 miles away.
The interstate West from both comes right
through here. Another just south of us.

It's hard for local people to afford property
In the rural areas. The city Richard Noggins
all want "[bleep] livin".

Those raised rural are now forced to live in town.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

We've got the same thing here with douche bags from NYC/LI. They're the ones buying up land and building the big, lavish retirement/vacation homes and driving the cost of real estate out of reach of the locals.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
https://www.darrinqualman.com/house-size/

This guy says that the average U.S. home size has grown from about 2000 suare feet in 1990 to about 2600 sf today. Seems about right looking at my community.

Sure, but what it the median size?

A fancier development with a goodly number of large new homes will skew the average more than a little in a small town. I'd imagine the new developments and those fancy "estates" are driving the average up all across America.

And one of the reasons larger homes are still affordable for "many"..................................

cheap labor!

Folks I know in the construction trades basically haven't had a "raise" for a number of years. But the Pardee type developers keep selling bigger houses.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Whenever I go to a city I am always amazed at the grown, middle aged men working low paying jobs in retail and other similar jobs. I give them lots of credit for working, but it’s curious to me why and how they ended up working a job that probably pays little more than minimum wage.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

We've got the same thing here with douche bags from NYC/LI. They're the ones buying up land and building the big, lavish retirement/vacation homes and driving the cost of real estate out of reach of the locals.

I thought you said your neighbors were living in trailers.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
If that is so, how is it that our standard of living keeps increasing? Homes keep getting larger, cars keep getting nicer, etc.
It sure hasn't for everybody, which is why there are 5-10 used car dealerships for every new. Don't know how it is everywhere but about a third of the homes on the back roads around here are mobile homes.

Big, nice retirement/vacation mobile homes?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I live in North Arkansas a poor area of the country. Lots of houses being built that are 50 percent bigger than what the older wealthy people live in. Most places want more workers than what are available. Some low wage Some high. Economy is growing here. Home values in my town are up for sure.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

I thought you said your neighbors were living in trailers.
As a matter of fact there are 5 residences on my road.. 3 are single wides, one double wide and one old house. All local people except for the double wide. They retired here from the city. The couple that lives in the house inherited it from the husbands parents. There is a big, beautiful new house on top of the mountain across the valley. That one was built as a vacation home for NYC residents. They bought the whole damn mountain top {several hundred acres} and I've heard it cost 1.5 million to build the house. They're usually there for two weeks in the summer and for one week after Christmas.

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Globalization ..... it's good for stocks, not so much for American workers.

Bingo... Been dealing with it in IT for the past 27 years...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There would be a lot more high paying jobs if there were people to fill them. Programmers, engineers, data analysts, there’s hundreds of thousands of jobs out there, just waiting for someone to do the work.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you've got the brains to go through a difficult college major, then a good-paying job is a foregone conclusion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This guy says that the average U.S. home size has grown from about 2000 suare feet in 1990 to about 2600 sf today. Seems about right looking at my community.

New construction is getting smaller in my experience. Higher finishes are winning over higher square footage.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
The size of houses isn't really a good indicator of much. How many people do you know who are "house rich" but would have to file for bankruptcy if they missed half dozen paychecks. A much better indicator is how much savings and investments a person has, and we know from numerous news stories that it's not much.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
That is what the Dumbocrats want, most of us doing menial work for a few rich people, like in China.
The fact is, there's a lot of menial work that has to be done. Every farmer needs weed hoers and cow milkers. Every factory needs assembly line mental robots. Every office building needs janitors. Every construction crew needs clean up men and hod carriers. every store needs checkers and stockers. They can't assign highly paid professionals to do that kind of work and make any money. It's a pipe dream to think that every job will pay high wages. That can't happen in the real world.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by 16bore

New construction is getting smaller in my experience. Higher finishes are winning over higher square footage.

+1. There's one builder here in the Detroit area that has that market cornered. Infinity Homes specializes in subs where the houses are 1400-2200sf but nicely constructed. Face it, families are getting smaller so most people don't need a really big house, other than to impress people that they don't even know.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bedrooms are for sleeping, not entertaining. Formal dining and living rooms are out. Soaking tubs are a thing of the past. I’ve seen a slew of newly remodeled apartments and there’s not a single bath tub in any of them. The kitchens, on the other hand, are stellar.

It’s almost like the amount of food you get on your plate at a restaurant. It’s usually enough for two, but easy to sell for $15 because you feel like you’re “getting your moneys worth” They don’t give a schit if you eat it or throw it away.

And while I’m bitching, I don’t need my glass filled up after every sip, then a “to go” cup when I leave.

Someone tell Bloomberg it ain’t the Big Gulps. Seriously, 30oz of soda with a meal??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh....forgot to mention, every doublewide has a whirlpool tub. That should tell you something.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

There is no way the average size house around here is 2600. Maybe in my neighborhood, but not in general. When you add in property taxes and insurance, SoFlo is not cheap.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 68 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,380 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,452
Posts18,471,079
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.