Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Good on a H&R USH 20 gauge.
Just wish i woulda yanked one out and double tapped Lazarus back in 08 to make sure.....
Fugg...
Cup of coffee and 2 smokes looking at him "dead" 75 yds away.
Got up took 3 or 4 steps
Mofo rose up like the undertaker and hauled ass.
Quartering away intially , pretty sure I 1 lunged him glancing angle
No blood on ground side where he was laying
Hornady SST slugs suck they dont drive thru...JMO...
Stupid thing back when i was worried about fugging backstraps and schit.

Trailed that deer for 7 or 800 yds.
Hide and fat probably flexing over the wound.
Totally lost the weak blood trail.
Had ta give up.

Wish i had yanked a shell outta the holder that morning and drove one into the big ole white patch on his chest facing me when he was down.
Worried about back straps and meat.....

Fugg that schit anymore.....

Last edited by renegade50; 12/04/19.
GB1

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
One of the boys on our lease had one on his rifle once. He caught a lot of cshit from the other guys. They said it looked gay!

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.
Did you ever stop and think maybe some people hunt critters other than big game? Have you ever called coyotes, ya know, where there could be 3, 4, 5, 6 or more show up on one stand? Have you ever walked further than a couple hundred yards from the truck while hunting coyotes. You know, where you might call a single or a double on one stand, then walk a half mile and repeat, and then walk another half mile and repeat, and so on?

Obviously not. Some of us get out where we may shoot 10 or more rounds before getting back to the truck.

If that makes me gay, so be it. Those that think it's gay are invited to come and keep up....

Laws aren't preventative measures. In other words, more laws won't prevent gun crime from happening.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 3584ELK
No matter which you choose, please remove it before hunting with it or taking it out of the house!

Fixed it for you.

Sorry. I admit they may be handy, but dang...

Although I happily shoot until the critter is graveyard dead.

I shot a moose this fall with 5 rounds. What question should I be asking?

Last edited by Ralphie; 12/04/19.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I tried an elastic butt holder on a tahr hunting trip to the South Island in New Zealand living in a tent. The elastic froze up and was not elastic anymore. I littered the mountain with 300 WSM shells like Johnny Appleseed. The belt holder eliminated the problem.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Where I live and hunt hogs are fairly common. I've gotten in some serious "fire fights" with a sounder of hogs while deer hunting. I carry a lot more ammo when hunting than I used to 15+ years ago.
Now when I go out specifically after hogs I usually carry an AR15.

Some of you not familiar with hogs might wonder how you can shoot that much after the first shot because you think they'ed all run away. And you be mostly right, but in open fields you can maybe get several shots off and sometime hogs get confused and run in all direction and run right back into your line of sight offering another shot opportunity.

The amount of times you may need to fire your rifle and the quantity of ammo you carry can depend on a number of variables depending on the situation.

Heck I sometimes suffer from Buck Fever and have been known to throw an air ball from time to time. This buck was killed with the second shot at about 240 yards facing me. He stood still after the first shot and I calmed down and got him with the second.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by renegade50
Good on a H&R USH 20 gauge.
Just wish i woulda yanked one out and double tapped Lazarus back in 08 to make sure.....
Fugg...
Cup of coffee and 2 smokes looking at him "dead" 75 yds away.
Got up took 3 or 4 steps
Mofo rose up like the undertaker and hauled ass.
Quartering away intially , pretty sure I 1 lunged him glancing angle
No blood on ground side where he was laying
Hornady SST slugs suck they dont drive thru...JMO...
Stupid thing back when i was worried about fugging backstraps and schit.

Trailed that deer for 7 or 800 yds.
Hide and fat probably flexing over the wound.
Totally lost the weak blood trail.
Had ta give up.

Wish i had yanked a shell outta the holder that morning and drove one into the big ole white patch on his chest facing me when he was down.
Worried about back straps and meat.....

Fugg that schit anymore.....

I hear ya! Lesson learned.

I got tired of losing deer because they left my property when tracking so me and the boy started shooting them directly in the shoulders several years back and we have recovered everyone since(knock on wood). We are wasting more meat for sure but you gotta do what you gotta do sometimes! Occasionally they even require a 2nd shot but at least they don’t go anywhere and we get the opportunity to put them down for good. I’ve had too many double lunged deer run a good ways and leave my little 80ac patch that we had to make the adjustment.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by TRnCO
If you need that many rounds to put down an animal, you should be asking different questions.
Did you ever stop and think maybe some people hunt critters other than big game? Have you ever called coyotes, ya know, where there could be 3, 4, 5, 6 or more show up on one stand? Have you ever walked further than a couple hundred yards from the truck while hunting coyotes. You know, where you might call a single or a double on one stand, then walk a half mile and repeat, and then walk another half mile and repeat, and so on?

Obviously not. Some of us get out where we may shoot 10 or more rounds before getting back to the truck.

If that makes me gay, so be it. Those that think it's gay are invited to come and keep up....

Thank You!

... or you could be out hunting and get stranded or have something happen where you can’t return to home/camp for a day or two and having extra rounds could be a lifesaver. I never go hunting with just a couple rounds!

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
After watching a You Tube video of a guy shooting 3 wolves that were coming at him while Elk hunting w/ a bow, I am thinking of adding one to my 45-70 Guide Gun. The leather ones are pricey but look cool on that rifle.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The ones that hold 9 suck donkey balls......I prefer the Beartooth Stock Guard, made from neoprene, not elastic. They hold six rounds and stay put. They're so damn hard to put on, it's easier to pull the barreled action and slide it on from the front. I run them on everything.

They have redesigned them, so I haven't tried the new versions yet.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have the 6-round neoprene Uncle Mikes version on three straight-combed Ruger M77 rifles. While they aren't beautiful, I don't mind them on "meat guns" and it is handy to grab a rifle from the safe and know it has 9-10 rounds attached. All of those rifles have magnum-weight barrels and Ruger rings, so they are already fairly heavy, and the extra weight of the shell-holder and ammo doesn't mess up balance. I also put the same style shell-holder on my .444 Handi and CVA .35 Whelen for Primitive Weapons season. They wear sturdy contour barrels also.

If I don't use the Uncle Mike's neoprene sleeve, I'll often use the foldable shell-wallet they make, and keep it in the front pocket of my backpack. When you're swapping between a dozen rifles in a season, it is nice to have a few where the ammo is all with the rifle and you don't have to verify you've got the right ammo wallet (or extra DBM) in your bag. There's been several times I've gotten into hogs and shot up 4-5 rounds in a few minutes, so I try to always take 9-10 rounds with me, plus a handgun.

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by aalf
The ones that hold 9 suck donkey balls......I prefer the Beartooth Stock Guard, made from neoprene, not elastic. They hold six rounds and stay put. They're so damn hard to put on, it's easier to pull the barreled action and slide it on from the front. I run them on everything.

They have redesigned them, so I haven't tried the new versions yet.

I will have to look into that brand.

Thanks

Montana MOFO
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pity they did away with the snow camo........

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

I just looked at them on Amazon. I think $17 or $18 delivered to my door. Appreciate the input. I think this is the one I’ll be trying. I may also grab a leather wallet type sometime just for throwing in my pack. Like I say, just getting tired of digging around in my pockets or pack to find them when needed. A little organization can go a long ways sometimes! Lol

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
So how hard are they to install? The Uncle Mikes do suck, the elastic gets stretched and shells fall out. Plus they can be a bear to get over the buttstock and after you do get it on, it's loose on the end toward the pistol grip.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
To each his own, but I don't want my finely crafted ammo banged up or adding weight to a rifle that I obsessed with shedding weight.

Leather shellholder on my belt or folding holder in a pocket.

[Linked Image from i617.photobucket.com]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by OrangeDiablo

I keep one pant or coat pocket empty save one extra cartridge. If I need it I can grab it fast to reload my single shot. Ain't needed it yet but I can grab it quite fast.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Triad Tactical is the one we use

It has a zippered covered cartridge area

[Linked Image from i165.photobucket.com]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Made my own wish like hell I could get the pics thing figured out. PM if you wanna see something anyone with general leatherworking ability can do. Wanted one for the longest for my Win 94. DIY

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 222ND, 219 Wasp, 52 invisible), 2,581 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,582
Posts18,473,355
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.