-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh boy, don't get me started on this AI crap. Back bout 1972 the game Hexapawn was touted as an example of a new era in machine learning. Same-o same-o, we just have a lot more processing power and storage space.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Oh boy, don't get me started on this AI crap. Back bout 1972 the game Hexapawn was touted as an example of a new era in machine learning. Same-o same-o, we just have a lot more processing power and storage space.

Yes,

Much of this new "AI Revolution" is just putting more power and easier to use programming languages behind theories and techniques that have been around since the 60's. Some of it is new, but the capabilities are now what the popular press leads people to believe. Regardless "AI" isn't. You still need a person to build the model and interpret the results, and recognize with the results are junk.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've fallen in love with Python. Gloriously inefficient but a lot more productive than bumming Assembler on a 1 MHz 8 bit MCU with 32k RAM for everything. But my, it was the definition of elegant when you were done. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I've fallen in love with Python. Gloriously inefficient but a lot more productive than bumming Assembler on a 1 MHz 8 bit MCU with 32k RAM for everything. But my, it was the definition of elegant when you were done. laugh

Yes, Python is a wonderful language, but I still have a lot more to learn. At work it's mostly SQL and SSIS, with some R, in class it's R, Python, and Linux, and a smattering of specialized tools so far. Class starts up again Thursday and, according to the syllabus we'll be playing with some NOSQL and Hadoop as well. Should be interesting.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by ERK
All the scholars over all the years the Bible has been cannot agree what most of it says. You guys are truly special being as you are all knowing. I simply don’t know but I try to treat others as I would be treated and if there is a God I hope he sees it. Ed k

Rong. They all agree, Believe Jesus is Christ, declare HIM Gods son, died for our sins, arose on 3rd day, admit you're a sinner, ask forgiveness.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I wonder if this minister was like the one that walked up to me in an airport 30 years ago?

Son, do you know Jesus?
Yes Sir, I've heard of him.
God told me to speak with you today.
No Sir, he did not.............as his head crooked with a puzzled look.
I said, I believe we can talk to him, but we don't rate high enough for him to tell us a DAMN thing.
Wait, Sir, where are you going? what did you want to tell me??

I was thinking straight bullshlt as he melted back into the crowd! crazy

Trump Won!
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Gun, HIS words are written as an instruction and story for HIS son, you.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Gun, HIS words are written as an instruction and story for HIS son, you.

Yes, but where's the REAL with these mortal messengers Jag?

Trump Won!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you don't have anything targeted don't ignore C++, in particular its subset C. It runs on everything. Being primarily a hardware guy I like making things with embedded microcontrollers - you can design/understand the complete system without making a career out of it. Microchip came out with a free C compiler and IDE which is a lot more fun than Assembler and almost as efficient even without buying the really good optimizer, you can do a lot of optimization in your head if you understand how C will write the Assembler code.

I used to do C++. I like native object code but Python is so easy. By the time I package an app with Python translator and lib files for those without the proper version of Python installed my 10k script has become several megabytes. And runs only on Windows. See http://jongreen.users.venturecomm.net/almanac/Almanac.html (How to turn 93k into 8M

Which explains a lot.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I’m just guessing there are far more non believers in this world than believers. Muslim-buddy-jews- etc. not all scholars believe. Ed k

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
python errors(left) vs c++ errors (right)

[Linked Image from i.kym-cdn.com]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know those guys.
Advantage interpreted. OTOH I can add a print() and mess around until it comes out right - what made Basic great. laugh

And gotos of course.

Last edited by nighthawk; 01/13/20.

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
A
If you don't have anything targeted don't ignore C++, in particular its subset C. It runs on everything. Being primarily a hardware guy I like making things with embedded microcontrollers - you can design/understand the complete system without making a career out of it. Microchip came out with a free C compiler and IDE which is a lot more fun than Assembler and almost as efficient even without buying the really good optimizer, you can do a lot of optimization in your head if you understand how C will write the Assembler code.

I used to do C++. I like native object code but Python is so easy. By the time I package an app with Python translator and lib files for those without the proper version of Python installed my 10k script has become several megabytes. And runs only on Windows. See http://jongreen.users.venturecomm.net/almanac/Almanac.html (How to turn 93k into 8M

Nighthawk,

I appreciate the advice. We use a little C# is our shop, mostly for kicking off projects created in other languages and some front-end development. I'm intend to stay on the data analytics path, so C++ probably isn't the best option for what I'll be doing, but at some point, I might be able to get some money out of the boss for some C# training.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Even the Bible doesn't dismiss reincarnation as a possibility.
Yes it does.
Hebrews 9:27 Just as man is destined to die once, and after that to face judgment,
28 so Christ was sacrificed once to take away the sins of many people; and he will appear a second time, not to bear sin, but to bring salvation to those who are waiting for him.

Then take your pick. Either that Bible verse (attributed to the Apostle Paul) is wrong, or Jesus was a liar when he did some of his disciples that they would not taste death before he returned with his new kingdom. (Matthew 24:34 says "Truly I saw to you, this generation will not pass away before these things take place." Matthew 16:28 says "Assuredly, I say to you, there are some standing here who shall not taste death till they see the Son of Man coming in His Kingdom.") Or perhaps what God defines as death is totally different than how we define it, which would make sense given that God knows what happens after we leave our physical bodies.

But if I really want to get on your nerves, I can nitpick the Bible all day.

Lets discuss the last words of Jesus. According to Mark 15:34, Jesus last words were "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" Matthew 27:46 agrees with this, and in Matthew 27:50, it adds that he then cried out in a loud voice and breathed his last. Luke 23:46 says that his last words were "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit. But John 19:30 says that the last words of Jesus were simply "It is finished." There is no way for all of those be literally correct.

We can also examine Mark 16. The earliest manuscripts of Mark 16 end at verse 8, where it describes the women (including Mary Magdalene) who had seen Jesus risen from the dead trembling with fear, and telling not a soul because they were afraid. However, a few verses later (note that these verses did not appear on the earliest manuscripts) have Mary Magdalene then going and telling the disciples who were mourning their master that he had risen. The probability is that one of the people copying down Mark 16 to spread the word found the chapter ending at verse 8 to be unsatisfactory, so he added onto it.

It's possible to be a Christian. It's not possible to take every single verse of the Bible as literal, because it contradicts itself many times.

"To give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift." Steve Prefontaine
Page 10 of 10 1 2 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (ar33c9, 808outdoors, 10Glocks, 35, 308ld, AdventureBound, 7 invisible), 1,197 guests, and 745 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,688
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.