Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Not surprisingly when I look at that, I look at it as a bicyclist and I look at it as a motorist. As a bicyclist I do NOT like riding on roads like those depicted. I am fortunate. I have a choice. I work in downtown NOLA and I can afford to own a motor vehicle and pay $200/month for parking and $200/month for insurance and $200/month for gas, and $450/month car note.

If you have a job in downtown NOLA, you have a few choices for how you can get to work. Let's take a young person who just graduated college, doesn't want to live in Mom's basement. Being a hard core conservative, this person has too much pride to leech off Mom. They are going to work as an accountant for Shell Oil in the Central Business District. Their salary is $45,000 per year. Of that, after taxes, 401K contributions, health insurance etc they are going to have about $2500/month left over.

Their greatest expense is going to be housing. They will be able to find NOTHING within walking distance in their budget. There are some pretty crappy places to live within bicycle commuting distance. Bust transportation doesn't serve that area well though. The walks to the bus stop are long and go through bad neighborhoods, the pick-up and drop offs are infrequent, and because the employee is the new person, they will be keeping irregular hours. Bus transportation is off the table. Now the two choices are a bicycle or a car.

In this case the person found a dive for 1000 per month. That leaves them with 1500.

Their student loan pay back is 300 per month. 1200 residual.

Our subject is frugal and has the most basic phone plan. They still have to pay an electric bill. Let's low ball those two at 100/month. They now have 1100.

Our subject has to eat. You'd be pretty hard pressed to eat for $10/day. That leaves our subject with $800/month.

Our subject needs incidentals like toiletries, clothing etc. $50 per month. Residual $750.

Our subject isn't going to live in complete austerity. They are going to have some entertainment expenses for dates and such. $50/month Residual $700.

Our subject wants to save some money too. They are going to save $250/month to build up a rainy day fund and to start saving for the future. Residual $450. Well, we already established that the overall cost of owning a car eclipses that, so it's a bicycle for our responsible young person.

That person cannot get to work in NOLA without occasionally ending up on streets like those depicted in the video.

When I encounter bicyclists riding on streets like this, correctly or incorrectly, I operate under the assumption that they aren't too different from the responsible young conservative I used as an example. I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell.

I have no problem with any of that. The problem I have is with this t w a t riding down the center lane and refusing to move over to let the traffic go by because “he’s entitled to”. . .

GB4

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Not surprisingly when I look at that, I look at it as a bicyclist and I look at it as a motorist. As a bicyclist I do NOT like riding on roads like those depicted. I am fortunate. I have a choice. I work in downtown NOLA and I can afford to own a motor vehicle and pay $200/month for parking and $200/month for insurance and $200/month for gas, and $450/month car note.

If you have a job in downtown NOLA, you have a few choices for how you can get to work. Let's take a young person who just graduated college, doesn't want to live in Mom's basement. Being a hard core conservative, this person has too much pride to leech off Mom. They are going to work as an accountant for Shell Oil in the Central Business District. Their salary is $45,000 per year. Of that, after taxes, 401K contributions, health insurance etc they are going to have about $2500/month left over.

Their greatest expense is going to be housing. They will be able to find NOTHING within walking distance in their budget. There are some pretty crappy places to live within bicycle commuting distance. Bust transportation doesn't serve that area well though. The walks to the bus stop are long and go through bad neighborhoods, the pick-up and drop offs are infrequent, and because the employee is the new person, they will be keeping irregular hours. Bus transportation is off the table. Now the two choices are a bicycle or a car.

In this case the person found a dive for 1000 per month. That leaves them with 1500.

Our subject is frugal and has the most basic phone plan. They still have to pay an electric bill. Let's low ball those two at 100/month. They now have 1100.

Our subject has to eat. You'd be pretty hard pressed to eat for $10/day. That leaves our subject with $800/month.

Our subject needs incidentals like toiletries, clothing etc. $50 per month. Residual $750.

Our subject isn't going to live in complete austerity. They are going to have some entertainment expenses for dates and such. $50/month Residual $700.

Our subject wants to save some money too. They are going to save $250/month to build up a rainy day fund and to start saving for the future. Residual $450. Well, we already established that the overall cost of owning a car eclipses that, so it's a bicycle for our responsible young person.

That person cannot get to work in NOLA without occasionally ending up on streets like those depicted in the video.

When I encounter bicyclists riding on streets like this, correctly or incorrectly, I operate under the assumption that they aren't too different from the responsible young conservative I used as an example. I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell.

I have no problem with any of that. The problem I have is with this t w a t riding down the center lane and refusing to move over to let the traffic go by because “he’s entitled to”. . .

On some of those roads there was no place to pull over.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Roll coal!!! 😐

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
These entitled snowflakes who think they can ignore the traffic flow and do their own thing are the ones who chap my crotch. Lane-splitting, for instance. If I see one soon enough when I'm sitting stopped in traffic, I've been known to open a door to check to see if I've got a low tire. Sometimes they manage to get stopped in time.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
These entitled snowflakes who think they can ignore the traffic flow and do their own thing are the ones who chap my crotch. Lane-splitting, for instance. If I see one soon enough when I'm sitting stopped in traffic, I've been known to open a door to check to see if I've got a low tire. Sometimes they manage to get stopped in time.
Jerry

How does their lane splitting affect you?

IC B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Used to ride a fair bit. Tried to be extra courteous to stupids in cars.
Didn't work.

Most don't know the law.

Even when on the right, plenty of room, people swerve and or throw stuff.
Had one hanging inches off my tire (when I was doing about 25 mph- mountain bike).

Most of the people raising hell were fat.
And at least 50% of them women.

Worst? Mexicans.

Burns my arse seeing idiots zipping down sidewalks on bikes.
Its against the law.

Those not cyclists. Those just DUI dipsticks and hippies.

Guy in vid? Moobs says hes a lib.

Last edited by hookeye; 02/06/20.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
Used to ride a fair bit. Tried to be extra courteous to stupids in cars.
Didn't work.

Most don't know the law.

Even when on the right, plenty of room, people swerve and or throw stuff.
Had one hanging inches off my tire (when I was doing about 25 mph).

Most of the people raising hell were fat.
And at least 50% of them women.

Worst? Mexicans.

Burns my arse seeing idiots zipping down sidewalks on bikes.
Its against the law.

Those not cyclists. Those just DUI dipsticks and hippies.

Guy in vid? Moobs says hes a lib.

Most don't know the law, don't ride bicycles, have no experience riding on the road, have never studied bicycle safety, but will happily tell you what you should do.

My experience tells me 90% of the ragers are out of shape, middle aged, white males.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I was shocked at how friggin psycho women were towards bike riders.
Expected fat dudes to be the ones.
Some were, but it was usually women.

And if a mexican, hell they'd hang halfway out of their vehicle saying they want to kill you.

So bad as to be comical. Passenger or driver.

Eh, I carried a pistol when I rode, for dogs if need be.
But also to cap some fugger that had me pinned under a wheel.

Wore clothing to be visible. Rode to be visible.
Legal aint good enough.
Defensive driving?
Exponential when on a bike.

Hell, in my burg people are smashing cars left and right. My guess cell phones and not paying attention.
Fender benders for them is dead for a bicyclist.

We have bike lanes, but not all over.
Blue hairs in Buicks oblivious to them.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I cycle a fair amount when I have time. Lately that hasn't been much. I keep to the right when possible but there have been days when I ride right down the middle of the lane and I do it on purpose. You know why? A$$holes like you are all displaying in this thread. Cyclists do actually by law have the right to ride down the center of the lane. I try and keep right but if people aren't giving me 3 feet, screw it. I am riding down the middle. My safety is not worth your convenience. Sorry, it just isn't and thats a fact Jack. I will debate anyone on here all day long about it. I have kids, I have a family. If people on that given day or in that given place don't see fit to give me a little space then I will take all the space to which I am legally ENTITLED to. I drive a vehicle 98% of the time. When I see a cyclist I try and give them plenty of room as should you. Generally cyclists don't pull out of their driveway and just start out going down the middle of the lane. Its the result of an escalation of frustration on that given ride more than likely.

People in New Jersey are notoriously bad drivers and pricks on top of that, so I can't say much negative about a cyclist who decides to take a full lane.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

See now there is the problem with you bike guys that don’t even know you have an entitled attitude.

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. I grew up riding a bike on some of those very streets in that video. Actually some much narrower. I never once - let me say that again for emphasis - NEVER ONCE felt like it was my right to hold up traffic behind me because “there was nowhere to pull over”.

Yes there is. There always is when you ride a bike. You can hug the left or right side of the street or you can just pause and let the traffic go by.

That’s what we did as kids and never had a problem getting where we were going. Nowadays, the biker has to have the exact same “rights” as a motorist even though he is not on a motor vehicle and that is b u l l s h i t. It’s a god damn bicycle! Act like you’re on one and get over it....

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/06/20.
IC B3

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by dassa
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by jorgeI
"I've been sent to the ER FOUR TIMES"... lesson there...

Slow learner.

Dumbass.

Bicyclist

Winner, winner,....

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J

See now there is the problem with you bike guys that don’t even know you have an entitled attitude.

And why so many die on the roads.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by RyanSinBA
I cycle a fair amount when I have time. Lately that hasn't been much. I keep to the right when possible but there have been days when I ride right down the middle of the lane and I do it on purpose. You know why? A$$holes like you are all displaying in this thread. Cyclists do actually by law have the right to ride down the center of the lane. I try and keep right but if people aren't giving me 3 feet, screw it. I am riding down the middle. My safety is not worth your convenience. Sorry, it just isn't and thats a fact Jack. I will debate anyone on here all day long about it. I have kids, I have a family. If people on that given day or in that given place don't see fit to give me a little space then I will take all the space to which I am legally ENTITLED to. I drive a vehicle 98% of the time. When I see a cyclist I try and give them plenty of room as should you. Generally cyclists don't pull out of their driveway and just start out going down the middle of the lane. Its the result of an escalation of frustration on that given ride more than likely.

People in New Jersey are notoriously bad drivers and pricks on top of that, so I can't say much negative about a cyclist who decides to take a full lane.

Your attitude is why so many bikes argue with autos, and lose.

Ode to an asswhole biker.

I was right and he was wrong, but here I lie in this grave, dead and gone.

Road rage is dangerous, especially on a bike.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/06/20.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by slumlord
Roll coal!!! 😐

Roll coal on me ya punk and I will kick yer a$$ mad

......or look for someone who can........

Anyhoo, I cannot remember the last time I was yelled or cursed at (‘cept on here, of course) and I ride in the big city all the time. Perhaps I am doing something wrong.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. I grew up riding a bike on some of those very streets in that video. Actually some much narrower. I never once - let me say that again for emphasis - NEVER ONCE felt like it was my right to hold up traffic behind me because “there was nowhere to pull over”.

Yes there is. There always is when you ride a bike. You can hug the left or right side of the street or you can just pause and let the traffic go by.

That’s what we did as kids and never had a problem getting where we were going. Nowadays, the biker has to have the exact same “rights” as a motorist even though he is not on a motor vehicle and that is b u l l s h i t. It’s a god damn bicycle! Act like you’re on one and get over it....

They identified one of the several hazards of hugging the edge in the video. Did you see the dooring incident? When a cyclist is doored, they are most often knock out into the roadway where they are at risk of being run over. Smart cyclists don't ride in the door zone. See what I mean when I say most people who tell cyclists how to ride don't understand the full safety picture?

It's a lot like Democrats trying to talk gun control and talking about how evil semi-automatic revolvers are.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Complaining about cyclists in high-density urban areas is as asinine as complaining about the odor of cow manure in rural areas. Both are in their natural element. Get over it or get out.

2. Dude is correct in most states of the union: bicycles are vehicle which have all the privileges and responsibilities of other vehicles on the road on non-restricted roadways.

3. "Taking the lane" is usually the safest way to go when using public streets.

4. Many cyclists and motorcyclists are complete a-holes, even when in the right. And many times they don't think the law applies to them. In the latter case, I like seeing them get their comeuppance in the form of a ticket, just like a car driver.

5. Many of these cyclists are a self-limiting phenomenon: they will eventually get splattered and not too many will ever breed.

6. I have commuted by bike in the past. I used the city streets when practical, as they are the most direct route. Other times, I gave multi-use trails more weight. One intersection was so dangerous in the morning (traffic, glare, etc.) that I reverted to pedestrian mode to get through it. Several cyclists, motorized & otherwise, have been killed there.

7. I think bike lanes are the WRONG IDEA. It wastes that pavement most of the time and causes more congestion than an occasional cyclist taking the lane.

8. Some places are so dangerous to ride, I would not suggest it. Most of those places can be fixed with better road and interchange design.

9. The cyclist in the video needs to make his PITA self more visible. He needs more blinky lights, safety orange and safety green/yellow.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Smart cyclist dont ride in traffic.

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

That excuse they always use about there being nowhere to pull over or the dangers of car doors, blah, blah, blah... I somehow managed to survive to adulthood despite the fact that I practically lived on a bike till I got my drivers license the day I turned seventeen. All my friends did the same on some of the most congested traffic in the country.

We didn’t wear brightly colored neon spandex. We didn’t wear Corky the Retard helmets on our heads. We didn’t use hand signals while traveling down the center lane of a busy street either. You know what we did do? We used the common God Damn sense and courtesy that seems to have skipped every generation since the the last of the boomers...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Based on your research, is the motorist or cyclist most often at fault in fatal collisions, and what are some of the more common types of collisions?

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Beoceorl
Originally Posted by jorgeI
"I've been sent to the ER FOUR TIMES"... lesson there...

Slow learner.

Most of that type are.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (12344mag, 160user, 117LBS, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,678 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,984
Posts18,480,940
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.