Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by jfruser
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Hating lane splitters is the same thing as the phugtard in the video feeling entitled to crawl along in the middle of the lane. Lane splitting on motorcycles actually helps traffic flow. Read the studies instead acting on gut reaction they they are somehow taking something away from you.

Not so much. Re-read the post I was responding to and then re-read my post. I think you have misread and then responded to a misreading.

================

1. Looked around and there are no studies worth mentioning on lane splitting safety in the USA. One of the big ones claimed to show increased safety has the author specifically refuting that claim. One in Europe is inconclusive.

2. Most the claimed safety-related benefit seems to come from the delta between MC rear-end collisions in CA (legal) TX (no law for/against) and FL (illegal). The delta is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 30%, depending on the year. Again, no good studies pointing to cause. Riding SEASONS in CA/TX/FL may be similar, but CONDITIONS surely are not. FL has much more rain and many more wet road conditions. Also, FL has a much higher proportion of elderly drivers who really have no business being on the road. I am not anti-elderly driving, but FL's driver license exam back in the day required a fee and a pulse. TX has its own issues vis a vis CA.

3. Lane splitting is explicitly legal in only CA and explicitly illegal in many more states. MC and bicycle riders need to ride IAW the law if they want to be treated like grown-ups worthy of their place on the road operating vehicles.

4. There are not enough bicyclists and MC riders for explicit, legal lane-splitting to impact/improve traffic. Maybe in east asia. But not in the USA and not in Europe, according to the studies over there.

Not my thread so I don’t want to hijack it but like most things, you can pick and choose whatever study to you want depending on what results you want but here is the one cited by the AMA among others I’ve seen.

https://www.cycleworld.com/2015/06/02/ama-study-finds-lane-splitting-increases-rider-saftey/

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He’s the same type of person that cries of he sees legal open carry.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I used to live in Southern Indiana, in the hilly ground next to the Ohio River, and every Sunday morning, a gang of bicyclists would be riding down the narrow country roads around there. The hilly parts slowed them down, which slowed the motorists down, BUT, they did their best to stay out the way and let us pass by without incidents. I thought they all looked silly in Spandex and helmets, but they had enough sense to get out of the way when they got their first opportunity.

It's too bad some of the entitled dipsticks on bicycles don't do that now. My BIL and my nephews are dedicated cyclists now, but they are also conscious of other and stay out of their way, mostly on trails.

I no longer live in south MS. When I did I rode with a group that used lightly traveled county back roads. We always worked to get motorists around us as quickly as possible. Our encounters almost always ended with friendly waves being exchanged.

It's interesting to note that drivers were much less likely to try to be badasses when I was part of a group ride. I wonder why?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Hating lane splitters is the same thing as the phugtard in the video feeling entitled to crawl along in the middle of the lane. Lane splitting on motorcycles actually helps traffic flow. Read the studies instead acting on gut reaction they they are somehow taking something away from you.

Not so much. Re-read the post I was responding to and then re-read my post. I think you have misread and then responded to a misreading.

================

1. Looked around and there are no studies worth mentioning on lane splitting safety in the USA. One of the big ones claimed to show increased safety has the author specifically refuting that claim. One in Europe is inconclusive.

2. Most the claimed safety-related benefit seems to come from the delta between MC rear-end collisions in CA (legal) TX (no law for/against) and FL (illegal). The delta is supposed to be in the neighborhood of 30%, depending on the year. Again, no good studies pointing to cause. Riding SEASONS in CA/TX/FL may be similar, but CONDITIONS surely are not. FL has much more rain and many more wet road conditions. Also, FL has a much higher proportion of elderly drivers who really have no business being on the road. I am not anti-elderly driving, but FL's driver license exam back in the day required a fee and a pulse. TX has its own issues vis a vis CA.

3. Lane splitting is explicitly legal in only CA and explicitly illegal in many more states. MC and bicycle riders need to ride IAW the law if they want to be treated like grown-ups worthy of their place on the road operating vehicles.

4. There are not enough bicyclists and MC riders for explicit, legal lane-splitting to impact/improve traffic. Maybe in east asia. But not in the USA and not in Europe, according to the studies over there.

Yes, I apologize. I actually meant to respond to the other guy.

Last edited by Dryfly24; 02/06/20.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
" I hope you get a good beating and then tossed into oncoming traffic for your behavior."

"Go ahead- - - - - -make my day!"

Another internet tough guy. I seriously doubt you’ll try it cause you’re just spouting off safely from behind a keyboard, but I sincerely hope you do.

You’re then going to get your ass stomped - either by some grizzled, bearded old Harley dude, or a muscle headed jockey on a rice burner.

Makes no difference which. The results will be equally hilarious. I just hope somebody gets it on video and posts it on YouTube so we can all laugh at your stupid ass...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

================

Yes, I apologize. I actually meant to respond to the other guy.

No worries. Thanks for the link above.

Regards,

deadlift_dude
“The very first essential for success is a perpetually constant and regular employment of violence.”
----Fred Rogers
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RyanSinBA
I cycle a fair amount when I have time. Lately that hasn't been much. I keep to the right when possible but there have been days when I ride right down the middle of the lane and I do it on purpose. You know why? A$$holes like you are all displaying in this thread. Cyclists do actually by law have the right to ride down the center of the lane. I try and keep right but if people aren't giving me 3 feet, screw it. I am riding down the middle. My safety is not worth your convenience. Sorry, it just isn't and thats a fact Jack. I will debate anyone on here all day long about it. I have kids, I have a family. If people on that given day or in that given place don't see fit to give me a little space then I will take all the space to which I am legally ENTITLED to. I drive a vehicle 98% of the time. When I see a cyclist I try and give them plenty of room as should you. Generally cyclists don't pull out of their driveway and just start out going down the middle of the lane. Its the result of an escalation of frustration on that given ride more than likely.

People in New Jersey are notoriously bad drivers and pricks on top of that, so I can't say much negative about a cyclist who decides to take a full lane.

Do it any other way as a driver in this state, you are getting a ticket for failure to yield. The bike has the ROW.

And it burns my ass to see fuggers on bikes riding on the sidewalk. My wife had one of those idiots come up from behind her and center punch the right passenger door of a 99 Blazer when she made a right to exit the roadway. It was not wifey who got the ticket. That was in Oregon. Jackass on the bicycle got a ride in an ambulance, and our insurance did not pay for that either.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

Hating lane splitters is the same thing as the phugtard in the video feeling entitled to crawl along in the middle of the lane. Lane splitting on motorcycles actually helps traffic flow. .
It's also totally stupid - and I'm betting there's a LOT more injuries of bikers who do that stupid-assed thing (don't care if it's legal) in traffic.. But hey - motor on.. smile

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Redneck

Hating lane splitters is the same thing as the phugtard in the video feeling entitled to crawl along in the middle of the lane. Lane splitting on motorcycles actually helps traffic flow. .
It's also totally stupid - and I'm betting there's a LOT more injuries of bikers who do that stupid-assed thing (don't care if it's legal) in traffic.. But hey - motor on.. smile

It’s actually safer than sitting in traffic between cars. But again you have to read the studies to understand because it’s counter intuitive and every one just thinks of it as they’re cutting in line without understanding the reasons why it works.

But that’s up to each individual person to keep himself informed on things depending on their interests. Most people form opinions on certain things based on appearance without ever really looking into the hows or why of things.

Gun control for instance. It’s why so many libtards think “just ban guns and the problem is solved”. There’s more to it. But they have to be motivated to look into it with an open mind to know why...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Not surprisingly when I look at that, I look at it as a bicyclist and I look at it as a motorist. As a bicyclist I do NOT like riding on roads like those depicted. I am fortunate. I have a choice. I work in downtown NOLA and I can afford to own a motor vehicle and pay $200/month for parking and $200/month for insurance and $200/month for gas, and $450/month car note.

If you have a job in downtown NOLA, you have a few choices for how you can get to work. Let's take a young person who just graduated college, doesn't want to live in Mom's basement. Being a hard core conservative, this person has too much pride to leech off Mom. They are going to work as an accountant for Shell Oil in the Central Business District. Their salary is $45,000 per year. Of that, after taxes, 401K contributions, health insurance etc they are going to have about $2500/month left over.

Their greatest expense is going to be housing. They will be able to find NOTHING within walking distance in their budget. There are some pretty crappy places to live within bicycle commuting distance. Bust transportation doesn't serve that area well though. The walks to the bus stop are long and go through bad neighborhoods, the pick-up and drop offs are infrequent, and because the employee is the new person, they will be keeping irregular hours. Bus transportation is off the table. Now the two choices are a bicycle or a car.

In this case the person found a dive for 1000 per month. That leaves them with 1500.

Their student loan pay back is 300 per month. 1200 residual.

Our subject is frugal and has the most basic phone plan. They still have to pay an electric bill. Let's low ball those two at 100/month. They now have 1100.

Our subject has to eat. You'd be pretty hard pressed to eat for $10/day. That leaves our subject with $800/month.

Our subject needs incidentals like toiletries, clothing etc. $50 per month. Residual $750.

Our subject isn't going to live in complete austerity. They are going to have some entertainment expenses for dates and such. $50/month Residual $700.

Our subject wants to save some money too. They are going to save $250/month to build up a rainy day fund and to start saving for the future. Residual $450. Well, we already established that the overall cost of owning a car eclipses that, so it's a bicycle for our responsible young person.

That person cannot get to work in NOLA without occasionally ending up on streets like those depicted in the video.

When I encounter bicyclists riding on streets like this, correctly or incorrectly, I operate under the assumption that they aren't too different from the responsible young conservative I used as an example. I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell.

I have no problem with any of that. The problem I have is with this t w a t riding down the center lane and refusing to move over to let the traffic go by because “he’s entitled to”. . .

On some of those roads there was no place to pull over.

See now there is the problem with you bike guys that don’t even know you have an entitled attitude.

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. I grew up riding a bike on some of those very streets in that video. Actually some much narrower. I never once - let me say that again for emphasis - NEVER ONCE felt like it was my right to hold up traffic behind me because “there was nowhere to pull over”.

Yes there is. There always is when you ride a bike. You can hug the left or right side of the street or you can just pause and let the traffic go by.

That’s what we did as kids and never had a problem getting where we were going. Nowadays, the biker has to have the exact same “rights” as a motorist even though he is not on a motor vehicle and that is b u l l s h i t. It’s a god damn bicycle! Act like you’re on one and get over it....

Paul's statement "I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell" is reasonable.

The ASSHAT in the video was not treating motorists respectfully. He could have pretended to have good manners and get over to the right to allow the cars to get past, but NOOOOOOOOO...he has to make a statement. If he does get pancaked by a bread truck, he'll have himself to blame for having defied the odds.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Smart cyclist dont ride in traffic.

It is done all around the world. Despite the way they act sometimes, drivers in America are not especially retarded so ought tot be able to manage an occasional cyclist who is there by choice or necessity.

We do. Some help us manage it, like I did as a kid, and some dont.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Not surprisingly when I look at that, I look at it as a bicyclist and I look at it as a motorist. As a bicyclist I do NOT like riding on roads like those depicted. I am fortunate. I have a choice. I work in downtown NOLA and I can afford to own a motor vehicle and pay $200/month for parking and $200/month for insurance and $200/month for gas, and $450/month car note.

If you have a job in downtown NOLA, you have a few choices for how you can get to work. Let's take a young person who just graduated college, doesn't want to live in Mom's basement. Being a hard core conservative, this person has too much pride to leech off Mom. They are going to work as an accountant for Shell Oil in the Central Business District. Their salary is $45,000 per year. Of that, after taxes, 401K contributions, health insurance etc they are going to have about $2500/month left over.

Their greatest expense is going to be housing. They will be able to find NOTHING within walking distance in their budget. There are some pretty crappy places to live within bicycle commuting distance. Bust transportation doesn't serve that area well though. The walks to the bus stop are long and go through bad neighborhoods, the pick-up and drop offs are infrequent, and because the employee is the new person, they will be keeping irregular hours. Bus transportation is off the table. Now the two choices are a bicycle or a car.

In this case the person found a dive for 1000 per month. That leaves them with 1500.

Our subject is frugal and has the most basic phone plan. They still have to pay an electric bill. Let's low ball those two at 100/month. They now have 1100.

Our subject has to eat. You'd be pretty hard pressed to eat for $10/day. That leaves our subject with $800/month.

Our subject needs incidentals like toiletries, clothing etc. $50 per month. Residual $750.

Our subject isn't going to live in complete austerity. They are going to have some entertainment expenses for dates and such. $50/month Residual $700.

Our subject wants to save some money too. They are going to save $250/month to build up a rainy day fund and to start saving for the future. Residual $450. Well, we already established that the overall cost of owning a car eclipses that, so it's a bicycle for our responsible young person.

That person cannot get to work in NOLA without occasionally ending up on streets like those depicted in the video.

When I encounter bicyclists riding on streets like this, correctly or incorrectly, I operate under the assumption that they aren't too different from the responsible young conservative I used as an example. I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell.

I have no problem with any of that. The problem I have is with this t w a t riding down the center lane and refusing to move over to let the traffic go by because “he’s entitled to”. . .

See now there is the problem with you bike guys that don’t even know you have an entitled attitude.

I’m gonna let you in on a little secret. I grew up riding a bike on some of those very streets in that video. Actually some much narrower. I never once - let me say that again for emphasis - NEVER ONCE felt like it was my right to hold up traffic behind me because “there was nowhere to pull over”.

Yes there is. There always is when you ride a bike. You can hug the left or right side of the street or you can just pause and let the traffic go by.

That’s what we did as kids and never had a problem getting where we were going. Nowadays, the biker has to have the exact same “rights” as a motorist even though he is not on a motor vehicle and that is b u l l s h i t. It’s a god damn bicycle! Act like you’re on one and get over it....

Paul's statement "I treat them respectfully. I treat them like they have a legal right to be there. I treat them like they are my family member that just took a new job at Shell" is reasonable.

The ASSHAT in the video was not treating motorists respectfully. He could have pretended to have good manners and get over to the right to allow the cars to get past, but NOOOOOOOOO...he has to make a statement. If he does get pancaked by a bread truck, he'll have himself to blame for having defied the odds.

Yeah, most of them "raise awareness" types get on my damn nerves.

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
.[/quote]

My solution is when I ride a bike on the road, I do so with regard for the motorists. When I drive on the road I do so with regard for the cyclists. When polite attentive motorists meet polite attentive cyclists, they do seem to mix well.
[/quote]

This is your correct post, Paul.

I Dindo Nuffin
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by 700LH

Great video. I got some good laughs out of that. Thanks, 700.

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

Great video. I got some good laughs out of that. Thanks, 700.

Check this one out Jag. These Golf Cart crashes make me laugh myself to tears. There's plenty more if those strike your funny bone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07KCTLwUAco&t=9s

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
So Paul, I want to get a bike this spring. What’s a good brand? Pros and cons....

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

And why so many die on the roads.

Based on your research, is the motorist or cyclist most often at fault in fatal collisions, and what are some of the more common types of collisions?

Based on your research, is the cyclist or the motorist most likely dead in fatal collisions?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Bartender/storekeeper lady in our little town says a lot of these tour bikers (who never buy anything at the store, but want to use her restrooms) are 'virtue signallers' and truly feel they have a moral superiority over the local riff-raff because they are saving the planet by riding bikes. Sheesh.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

256 members (1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 204guy, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 32 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,048
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.