-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
20 years ago our priest asked me to bring my gun to church. He was worried about bad things back then.

GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
and is drawing upon a community of experts at his disposal. .

Good one.

It’s great the OP wants to be better with a handgun. He best get trained first.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by marktheshark
I dont know if you guys mentioning an AR are serious or not but, my Dad (USMC 'Nam Combat Vet and very proficient shooter) was just tasked with setting up a security team at the church him and mom attend. Part of the set up is an AR with a high end EOtech optic. This rifle is stored in a locked closet with a metal door and frame in the unused locked choir loft. Dad or the one other guy (who is a former member of the 75th Ranger Regiment) who are designated to use it literally sit in the loft right next to the open closet during any service. They have a complete field of fire to anywhere in the sanctuary from this position. One armed usher is asked to sit along the center aisle in the back pew and the other known armed guys are asked to stagger themselves throughout the sanctuary. These members shoot at least with bi weekly at a members farm, several like dad are retired and shoot much more often then that.

The armed members are great but we started out by reviewing the physical security of the building. Some changes that were made include that all doors except the main entrance are locked at all times. The main entrance glass outside doors are locked when service begins and an usher(concealed carrying) must let in any late comers. The inner vestibule doors leading to the sanctuary are also locked during services with another usher opening those for people.

Reminds me of high dollar banks in the Old West.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I remember, back in the late 1980s, speaking to a priest by the open door of his chambers (office?), and looking inside to see a Beretta 92 inside its open factory box sitting on a desk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Church , funerals and weddings too .

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Anywhere you have the potential for emotions running high; that's where I want to carry.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by callnum
I’l take my chances. I don’t want to be sitting next to a guy that thinks he’s John MacClane just because he has a 9.

You are a poser who has never seen a clue. I train about 4 hours/week w/ a group that varies from RVN vets to recent retirees from the GWOT including some old broads. The beauty of the pistol is that, to a skilled practitioner, it is an easily carried equalizer that is available to most and effective in the hands of those that make the effort. Some do.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Texczech
Originally Posted by Tyrone
If you don't have a defensive arm, sell your clothes and get one.

I believe that is Christ said. Sell your cloak and buy a sword.

For the time period, that was the state of the art for personal defensive arms that can be easily carried on the person.

The Apostle Peter had a sword and used it to defend Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, when the Jews came to arrest him. In an an attempt to cut off a man's head, it appears the intended victim ducked, just in time, to keep from having his head severed from his shoulders, and "only" had his ear cut off!.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Anywhere you have the potential for emotions running high; that's where I want to carry.

Family reunion or a tractor pull around here.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by wabigoon
I'll start over, I won't lead off with the choir this time.

Our minister spent a fair amount of time this morning on safely issues. A car was stolen from the church parking lot last Sunday. She also gave a code word to alert all of us to danger.

I asked on my way out if I should bring my handgun with me. She quickly said yes.

Any thoughts on the subject?

I go to a small one, about 100 show up every Sunday. At least 15 people there that I'm aware of carry, including me.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by lvmiker
I’l take my chances. I don’t want to be sitting next to a guy that thinks he’s John MacClane just because he has a 9.

You are a poser who has never seen a clue. I train about 4 hours/week w/ a group that varies from RVN vets to recent retirees from the GWOT including some old broads. The beauty of the pistol is that, to a skilled practitioner, it is an easily carried equalizer that is available to most and effective in the hands of those that make the effort. Some do.

mike r

Well said.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

For the time period, that was the state of the art for personal defensive arms that can be easily carried on the person.

The Apostle Peter had a sword and used it to defend Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane, when the Jews came to arrest him. In an an attempt to cut off a man's head, it appears the intended victim ducked, just in time, to keep from having his head severed from his shoulders, and "only" had his ear cut off!.

I know.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Naaa. We are talking about Peter, the amazing colossal apostle, the first Pope, the Rock upon which Jesus built his Church. Peter was aiming for that ear. So by extension, you need to be good enough with your carry weapon to take off just the ear, leaving the skull intact. So you all need to follow the example of Peter and get in your reps each week.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
So Jesus built His church on Peter????
That’s a laugh...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Tom264
So Jesus built His church on Peter????
That’s a laugh...

Tom,

We can leave that for another thread. But Peters skill with a sword makes for a good excuse to buy more practice ammo and spend more time at the range.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Our church rarely sees 50 people.
A lady divorced her schizoid husband who then started
causing legal and criminal problems for family, then church
members. Our pastor carries, we have a guy who stays in the hall
area outside, and a couple in the church.

Security team?
They would laugh, some retired military, some just hillbillies.

This all started before the big shootings, but has continued.
Most days, there are at least 4 or 5 armed people there.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
W
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
We may have folks that things under control, we have a meeting Tuesday night, it should be a good one.
I need to get to bed, thanks all the meaningful posters.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I started carrying in church recently.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by lvmiker

mike r

+100%

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Our church has uniformed officers on the premises whenever the church is open and plainclothes in the congregation during services. The possibility of collateral damage from untrained folks getting involved in any shooting situation that may arise is something many including myself are not comfortable with. Dealing with a shooter in church is best left to professionals familiar/trained to deal with threats like this kind of scenario may present.

Some say the defense of our nation, our state, our family, our way of life, ourselves and on and on and on is best left to "professionals". I say they're full of chit. With an active shooter on site downside is minimal. I'll take my chances backing up Granny Bluehair anytime over being unarmed.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Page 6 of 13 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 219 Wasp, 117LBS, 21, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,644 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,386
Posts18,527,640
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.