Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

I don’t use the floor plate when unloading a M70 or M700.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
HR IC

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 257heaven
They made a Classic Stainless for awhile. I have one in 280AI. And the limited 6.5 CM is a stainless gun (receiver is coated black) with a wood stock and floorplate.

Or you can buy a stainless Kimber Montana or Hunter and stick it in a wood stock/bottom metal from any classic....as long as SA/SA or LA/LA. And sell the donors.

But no.......No composite stocks with floorplate bottom metal. Not sure if you could have a Montana stock inletted for the Kimber floorplate metal or not.

As I recall, the Classic trigger guard is square where it meets the stock, while the Montana is round. So are actions and stocks interchangeable?

Last edited by Wrapids; 02/09/20.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wrapids
Originally Posted by 257heaven
They made a Classic Stainless for awhile. I have one in 280AI. And the limited 6.5 CM is a stainless gun (receiver is coated black) with a wood stock and floorplate.

Or you can buy a stainless Kimber Montana or Hunter and stick it in a wood stock/bottom metal from any classic....as long as SA/SA or LA/LA. And sell the donors.

But no.......No composite stocks with floorplate bottom metal. Not sure if you could have a Montana stock inletted for the Kimber floorplate metal or not.

As I recall, the Classic trigger guard is square where it meets the stock, while the Montana is round. So are actions and stocks interchangeable?

Actions and stocks; yes. Trigger guard and bottom metal no. As 257 stated you would have to find a spare Montana stock and have someone inlet it for the BM that came with the wood stock. I'm not sure if it would be feasible or not; one of the beauties of the Montana stock is that like the brown/mcmillan ks pattern stock and the ula/nula stock it was designed as an adl and has a nice rounded shape (rather than a flat spot) under the action.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
i love my Montana 308, it’s been nothing but a pleasure to shoot and own.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Yep, the 308 Montana is the “sweet spot’.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by jkinpa
I am Trying to firm up on either the 30-06, 270 or 308. With your recommendation, leaning towards the 308 at this point.

Truly appreciate the input, sir.

Originally Posted by Brad
JK, I've had multiples of all 3, and have taken elk with all 3. At the end of the day, I prefer the 84M over the 84L. The 308 Montana is the Kimber "no-brainer of the century award winner."

Brad,
Would you mind elaborating a bit on this for me, sir?

JK

JK, I've had around 18 Kimber Montana's... of all of them, far and away the 308 is typically the easiest to get shooting well. I also prefer the "feel" of the 84M over the 84L.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Another vote for non-floorplate rifles.
Quite often when I'm still hunting, that's where I'm carrying the rifle and I prefer not to have that floorplate there.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I am Trying to firm up on either the 30-06, 270 or 308. With your recommendation, leaning towards the 308 at this point.

Truly appreciate the input, sir.

Of the three calibers your deciding between.

JK, I've had multiples of all 3, and have taken elk with all 3. At the end of the day, I prefer the 84M over the 84L. The 308 Montana is the Kimber "no-brainer of the century award winner."

Originally Posted by Poconojack

Yep, the 308 Montana is the “sweet spot’.

I have to agree with Brad and Poconojack. The medium action Montana is a joy to handle and carry around. I have several 84M's and my friends have a few also. My buddies dad has a Mountain Ascent in .308 and it's unbelievable how light and handy it is. After watching him develop loads for it and chronograph it, it's so close to an 06 with 150 and 165 grainers that I can't see the point of the longer gun, and extra powder that comes with the 06.

You'll get used to not having the floorplate quickly enough, I did when I switched to the Montana's. The trade off was well worth it to me.

Last edited by cgr1971; 02/10/20.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I bought a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 a few years ago when they first came out. I bore-sighted it. Loaded 3 rounds of federal fusion's and it shot 3/4" at 100yds for the first 3 shots ever.

I sold that rifle that year but have since bought 3 Montana's. A .223 Rem, a .243 Win, and a 6.5CM. The ergos on them can't be matched by a custom rifle IMO. They fit me perfect.

All of mine are the newer, threaded versions with the 100yd MOA guarantee. And all of them meet that with ease.

Camp is where you make it.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by VernAK
I also have some of each but for big game hunting, I prefer the Kimber especially the 84L in 270 while
the 84M in 338 Federal is close behind.

My two Fieldcrafts shoot very well but I really dislike the large gap along the bolt allowing snow and blueberries to
fall into the magazine.

I much prefer a blind magazine as the floorplates have no purpose for me and only add another minor degree of complexity.

The blind magazine works for you as well, huh sir?

Is the 338 Federal a factory chambering, or custom?

Which models do you or have you used?

I didn't think I'd care for the blind mag at first either. But now after having a pile of them I'd rather have it than a floorplate. I do like a detachable mag though.

Last edited by tzone; 02/10/20.

IC B3

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

My experience is opposite Brad's.

I find the 84L, with its longer LOP fits me better, and therefore points better.

I owned 84M Montanas, needed to shift my head enough when I shouldered the rifle that I sold it, regardless of scope. Wanted to like them, didn't.

The 84L is a point and shoot weapon.

Currently have three, two of which are Montanas in the AI and .30-06.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VernAK
I also have some of each but for big game hunting, I prefer the Kimber especially the 84L in 270 while
the 84M in 338 Federal is close behind.

My two Fieldcrafts shoot very well but I really dislike the large gap along the bolt allowing snow and blueberries to
fall into the magazine.

I much prefer a blind magazine as the floorplates have no purpose for me and only add another minor degree of complexity.

The blind magazine works for you as well, huh sir?

Is the 338 Federal a factory chambering, or custom?

Which models do you or have you used?

JKPA,

Yes the 338 Fed is factory chambered and weighs 5.25 lbs with 2.5x leupold ultralight.

A friend that was a long time Kodiak bear guide would duct tape clients floor plates shut.
I just see no use for them for what I do. I have a CZ 9.3x62 that I like so I used JB weld
to secure the floor plate. I don't own any hunting rifles that have box magazines.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I bought a Kimber Hunter in 6.5 CM this year and love the three round magazine. I mounted a Leupold XD3i 3.5-10x40 CDS scope in Talley mounts and she is a pleasure to shoot and carry. As for floor plates and blind magazines I'll take a detachable box everytime. I own and shoot rifles with all three types of magazines so I'm familiar with them but find the detachable box more convent, drop the box mag., work the bolt once and your unloaded.
Once, several years ago I was hunting with a pair of thick winter gloves trying to keep my hands warm. A nice buck stepped out on the edge of a power line cut about 40+ yards away. I shouldered my rifle and was ready to slide the tang safety from SAFE to FIRE on my .308 Ruger M77 and as i slipped my finger into the trigger guard it hit the bottom door release and my shells fell out as the floor plate and spring flopped around. I was like "What the heck just happened??' The buck heard the shells hitting my metal climbing stand and more than likely the floor plate and spring rattling around, no buck for me that cold winter day!! I've never had that problem with a detachable magazine or a blind magazine!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
My 1st rifle, and the one I used almost exclusively for most of my hunting was a 700 ADL. The lack of a floorplate doesn't bother me at all. I've never had an issue with floorplates in the field, but have once or twice at the range. It is just one less thing to go wrong.

If you go Kimber I will also recommend 308 over 30-06. My 308 is just over 6 lbs scoped and the recoil is almost identical to a 7 1/2 lb 30-06. I'm not sure I'd want to shoot a 6 lb 30-06.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by nyrifleman

I find the 84L, with its longer LOP fits me better, and therefore points better.

The LOP is the same on the 84M & L

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with Brad. The 84L's longer action and 24" barrel is a turn off for me. I'll take a 84M anyday over a 84L.

And OP....if you're dead set on a 30-06, beware if buying used of the 8400 Montana. It's definitely not in the same weight class as the 84L. I've seen Montana's advertised, and the poster doesn't designate whether it's a 8400 or a 84L....probably on purpose.

Sent from my Dingleberry Handheld Wireless
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Exactly what he said. With today's bullets the 308 does it all
Might do a 7-08 if I ever need a rebarrel.
Tune a Montana 308 and you have all the hunting rifle you will ever need

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

13.63 vs 13.75 according to Kimber.

I dunno, when I shoulder the 84L with eyes closed, then open my eyes, I am on target.

Not so with the 84M.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

13.63 vs 13.75 according to Kimber.

I dunno, when I shoulder the 84L with eyes closed, then open my eyes, I am on target.

Not so with the 84M.

They all vary... but even if true, do you really think 00.12” makes a difference?

My guess is you actually like the 2.5” additional length and weight out front the 84L provides.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

grin grin

They're the same thing.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

372 members (17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 1936M71, 16gage, 37 invisible), 2,213 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,146
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.