Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My son-in law shoots his heavy 7mm RM with a muzzle brake & Nightforce very well he doesn’t like recoil & that rifle kicks like a 243. He wanted more thump & this year went with a Vanguard 300 Weatherby w Zeiss conquest for elk. He was pleasantly surprised that he sipped a big cow in her tracks at 180 yards as I did the same with one at 240. He could see the difference from the 7 to the WEatherby in stopping power that is an advantage where we hunt. If you hunt 20,000 acres of private ranch not a big deal. Hunting public land bordering private ranches thump makes a difference.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The thing that gets me to flinching a lot is a lever too small, or a bolt bent down where it smacks or the lever pinches on my trigger hand. OUCH!

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The Handloader test was a good one... right click on the pic and choose "view image" for the closeup of results, then enlarge again with a left click.

It's true, velocity is generally the enemy of deep penetration...

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
My latest rifle is a 300 Win Mag. Plan on shooting 168 ETip. The win mag gets me out to the range I want while still offering enough velocity for the mono to expand.

Looking forward to using the combo.

Last edited by Calvin; 02/15/20.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by specneeds
He could see the difference from the 7 to the WEatherby in stopping power that is an advantage where we hunt.

With all due respect, that's a sample of one elk shot with the .300. Hard to draw conclusions from that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Brad
The Handloader test was a good one... right click on the pic and choose "view image" for the closeup of results, then enlarge again with a left click.

Brad,
That looks to be a very informative chart.
Do you have the link to it , so the chart can be viewed ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have that chart! So interesting to see how well simple cup n core bullets do at low velocity.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
First off I don’t have a 300 wm , but I do hunt , shoot , and hand load for 308 and 300 WSM.

Same for me. I use the 308 for short work & the 300 for way out there, both with 155 Scenar’s.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by specneeds
He could see the difference from the 7 to the WEatherby in stopping power that is an advantage where we hunt.

With all due respect, that's a sample of one elk shot with the .300. Hard to draw conclusions from that.

He's convinced, and nothings going to change his mind.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Did some posts go missing on this thread? I thought I put one up............

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
IC B3

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

It surely is with lead and copper bullets that tend to expand to s wide frontal area. With monos that often shear petals at high impact velocities, not so much.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Ralphie,

"I could be wrong but I still think some bad shooting that is blamed on magnums is just bad shooting."

Yes, it is. Some people will be mediocre shots no matter what they're shooting, even a .22 rimfire, due to lack of practice or physical coordination, poor eyesight (even with "corrected" vision and a scope), or excitement when shooting game.

Theodore Roosevelt is a good example--well, except for scopes, which he apparently never used. He was an avid shooter, who practiced all the time, but his eyesight wasn't great even with the glasses of the day, and he apparently got excited, so took shots and chances he shouldn't have--even after he'd hunted considerably for decades.

But my major point is that all humans are individuals, with varying characteristics, including pain threshold, eye/hand coordination, etc. And recoil tolerance can change over time. My wife is a good example. She didn't start shooting rifles and hunting seriously until her mid-30s, but turned out to be a natural in both. After working her way up through a pellet rifle (so she could practice on magazine photos of big game in the garage) to a .22 rimfire to centerfires, she got really good, partly because we live where constant practice on small varmints is possible.

She got REALLY good, and fast, when we lived in a country house where her 2nd-story office window overlooked our garden. She kept a .22 next to her desk, and when a Richardson's ground squirrel showed up in the garden, she'd shove her wheeled office chair over to the window, and whop! That also translated to shooting big game, and she eventually shot rifles up to .416 Remington Magnum with no problems. Among other rifles, she shot a 6-1/2 pound .30-06 VERY effectively, with 180-grain handloads at 2800+ fps.

But about 12-15 years ago she started getting recoil headaches. This can happen as we get older, because we're less flexible, and recoil tends to affect some people much like a concussion (though even doctors can disagree about the definition of concussion). She eventually switched to a 6-1/2-pound .308 Winchester as her "big" rifle, and used it very well with 150-grain premium bullets, both in North America and Africa.

The headache problem, however, grew even worse, and eventually we had to add a small muzzle brake to the rifle--and handload 130-grain bullets to 150-grain velocities. This has proven to be a good solution, since her headache problem has apparently stabilized. The last elk she killed was the biggest cow either of us has taken, as large as many mature bulls, taken at around 250 yards quartering toward her. The 130-grain TTSX broke the left leg just above the big shoulder joint, traveling through both lungs--and the cow staggered 20-25 yards, obviously done for, before falling.

This is just another example of how humans are individuals, which people like peeshooter fail to recognize--along with the fact that bullet quality and placement make more difference than the amount of powder or recoil. In fact, I have come to the conclusion that some hunters (usually but not always men) equate recoil with "killing power."

But the assumption that all humans are exactly alike (and especially like "me") is a common human failing.

IMO the noise generated by a rifle is what causes most people to flinch. Also a a moderate weight rifle that recoils straight back vs. one with lots of muzzle lift is much easier to deal with. Which is why stock fit/pattern and barrel contour is important.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by bwinters

Yes they did. I remember your post, thought it was good and commented to that effect. What I added was " I can't think of any shots I'd take with a .300 magnum that I wouldn't take with a .308."

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Penetration given the same bullet is caused by how much velocity it strikes the target with.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Same bullet, velocity rules. But higher velocity does not always mean greater penetration, as has been proven many times.

Originally Posted by BWalker

Actually it does. The fact you can't grasp this is telling.

Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
If you restrict my statement to monos or spitzer solids and selected FMJs, I would agree that higher velocity will generally result in greater penetration but I would not contend that is always the case.. With jacketed bullets, lower velocities will often result in higher penetration, as has been demonstrated many times.

Again, that depends. What is a fact, is you dont have a clue.

[image deleted

It surely is with lead and copper bullets that tend to expand to s wide frontal area. ….

Welcome to the ranks of the people who do in fact “have a clue”.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Yes they did. I remember your post, thought it was good and commented to that effect. What I added was " I can't think of any shots I'd take with a .300 magnum that I wouldn't take with a .308."

I think there was a problem with the whole site/server yesterday

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thought I hallucinating or something whistle

Last edited by bwinters; 02/17/20.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joelkdouglas

I think there was a problem with the whole site/server yesterday

Yup. It crashed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Higher velocity, same bullet, more penetration...….unless the bullet blows up.

Sometimes slower bullet holds together better at closer distances. Faster bullet delivers more horsepower at all distances.

You need to understand how your bullet will perform at whatever velocity you are driving it. Pick the right one for the job.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by peeshooter
Mule Deer, of sorry I did not know we were talking about cull operations. Also I'm not talking about high volume shooting. I have seen so many kids and women take elk and deer with my friends 7mm RUM he loans to his clients when I get to tag along. It recoils more than my 300 Win mag because it is lightweight. How many shots do you take on an elk? 1, 2, maybe 3? Did you feel the recoil on those shots with any cartridge? I doubt it!

How many shots does a rifle owner fire in practice? If the 300 mag shooter develops a flinch or other bad habit in practice there's a very good chance it'll appear in the game field whether or not he "feels the recoil" while shooting at an elk.

A "round or dummy" drill with game in the sights would be an interesting experiment.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Higher velocity, same bullet, more penetration...….unless the bullet blows up.

Sometimes slower bullet holds together better at closer distances. Faster bullet delivers more horsepower at all distances.

You need to understand how your bullet will perform at whatever velocity you are driving it. Pick the right one for the job.

That simply isn't true about penetration in all cases. I've tested that multiple times with my Marlin .45-70 and the results are consistent. I think it was Garrett that tested with handgun loads and found the same.

As I've mentioned before, a 300g hardcast @ 1167fps will penetrate and exit 11 water jugs while a 460g at 1812fps gets captured in jug number 9. The horsepower of the 460g bullet is much greater but is doesn't penetrate as far.

Not exactly the same bullet, but a .375"/220g Hornady FP @ 2230fps stopped in the 5th jug while a .375"/220g Sierra @ 2390fps stopped in the 4th jug.

The photos provided by prm and Brad pretty clearly shows that higher velocity is often detrimental to deeper penetration. Brad's photo shows reduced
penetration for a lot of common lead core and bonded core bullets. prm's photos showed diminished penetration with increased velocity for a variety of standard lead core; premium lead core and mono; and bonded core bullets.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

238 members (10Glocks, 160user, 257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 16 invisible), 1,725 guests, and 1,008 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,388
Posts18,469,810
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.