"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by DBT
The book of Job does not paint a nice picture of God or the company He keeps.

Job is a wonderful account of God's grace and mercy..

Job was refined by fire and purified. Job at the end of the book is a better man than when it started. Job was initially said to be a righteous man, but somewhat self righteous. Job thought God was his ace card. When it's over, Job is God's ace card, not the other way around.

The refiner's fire is usually pretty hot. Adversity makes one bitter or better depending on what he brings to the equation.

Some understand it, some don't. Here's why:

1 Corinthians 2:14 (KJV)
But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

DF

Not to worry about his family, servants and livestock, killed by God to prove a point that he himself raised, knowing the outcome from the beginning. A fine display of mercy and justice, haha.

The Spiritually blind can only perceive darkness, the Light is not in them.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jaguartx
The OP asked, "Why are you a Christian," DBT. Do you not have the IQ to deduce you werent spoken to?
Oh, I know, you have your freedom, and like a punk with your rights in an inner city school, you gets ta talk all you wants to.

One of the reasons I'm a Christian is because I prefer civilization as opposed to your uncivilized Babylonian babble.

You, by your very nature prove the existence of Lucifer. You're one of the broken spokes in the wheel of civil society.

You butt in where and when you wish, uninvited, as did your hero in the Garden of Eden, seeking to upset the apple cart, probably unaware of yourself being used as a tool, much like stupid, lieberal fools.

What a fun post to read.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT

'We' means us the readers. The text doesn't change. It remains the same for all readers/observers. The problems begin with interpretation. Some try to convert what the text clearly says and clearly means into something it clearly does not say or mean. Why? Because the actual meaning does not suit the needs of the faith of the believer. The believer is not looking at it objectively. The filter of faith screens whatever does not suit.

This reminds me of evidence. It does not change. t remains the same for all readers/observers. The problems begin with interpretation. Some try to convert what the evidence clearly shows and say it is something it clearly does not show. Why? Because the actual meaning does not suit the needs of the faith of the believer. The believer is not looking at it objectively. The filter of their brainwashing screens whatever does not suit.

Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
A right royal set up to fail in the full knowledge of what would happen....then blame and punish the two naive innocents for their inevitable failure, a failure planned from the beginning.

God's Word tells us Jesus was crucified from the foundation of the world. Sin was not an intrusion into God's plan. He created Satan with full knowledge. Perhaps He looked forward to the curse with glee; or perhaps with sadness. We finites cannot know because His way are higher than ours.

We are closer to a being a dirt clod than we are to being like God.

Everyday Hunter
IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Do you think you would be a Christian if you were born in Saudi Arabia?
Or India?
Or Japan?
Or Nepal?

And not one direct answer to my questions.

Do Christians believe that the other 3/4 of the world are going to hell?

Someone already did answer gave you a direct answer with a simple, "Yes."

The Scripture is quite clear. Jesus is the only way to the Father.

God sends a deluding influence on those who wish to believe a lie.

Little kids can be saved by Jesus Christ.

The fact that if you believe and confess with your mouth you are surely saved does not mean that is the only way, it means that is the SURE way.

Jesus Christ can take those to the Father HE deems fit, whether they have heard the word and confessed their sins or not. Those who have heard the good news are the ones who have to choose or reject it.

Last edited by jaguartx; 02/18/20.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Tom264
Yeah.
I’m done casting my pearls......

You guys win.

I tried.

You are the one who admitted you have no good evidence to present, just Faith.

AS,
Yes, it is by faith that we believe. But you have faith as well - your faith tells you there is no God. Faith is just belief and trust (or assurance). I’m just as sure there is a God as you are sure there isn’t. I’m not trying to convince you, that’s not my responsibility. I’m just saying there is danger ahead. You can proceed at your own risk. Should you continue on, at least you have no one to blame but yourself because it’s your decision alone.

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I believe and follow Jesus's teachings.
These posts always bring in the naysayers, it is where they are at but I always sense a distinct lack of peace in their language. Jesus offers a lasting peace to his followers, inexplicable to the doubters, indescribable to many Christian's.
That is up to the individual to investigate, hard selling the teachings doesn't work. , tv evangelizing, pulpit pounding etc does not work , imo.
It is pretty easy to do for yourself , sit on a stump , look at the mountaintops and give thanks.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyD
Originally Posted by huntinaz
Originally Posted by efw
God “stacked the deck”? Are you suggesting He is a trickster?

If one reads the interaction between the serpent & Eve you can see that human kinds’ tendency to doubt God’s word existed before the serpent even came along. The father of lies coaxed along a tendency already existent.

God, however, has always been about the business of redemption from the beginning. He is, by definition, the One who is in control of the universe and owes man nothing. The post enlightenment worship of individual autonomy is today isogeted into the texts to support our notion that we are in control even of Gods redemptive plan for His people.

Being omniscient He would have known it was happening in real time, would have known it was coming, would have known what would happen...

Not to mention it was all by His Creation. He’s in charge of all of it...

Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Rom 10:9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

There it is in a nutshell. You believe or you don't. You're saved or you're not. There's no other option.

Seems simple enough, but what about God calling only those who he knows will answer, and not bothering with the others?
It's your choice. That fact that God already knows what it will be doesn't affect anything. It's still your choice.

Seems to me there’s not really any choice about it

There were choices to be made, but the humans in the garden failed at them all.

As the story goes, they were not mentally equipped to make them. It was only after the fact that they understood.

Just as God planned would happen and knew what would happen because it was his set up.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx
The OP asked, "Why are you a Christian," DBT. Do you not have the IQ to deduce you werent spoken to?
Oh, I know, you have your freedom, and like a punk with your rights in an inner city school, you gets ta talk all you wants to.

One of the reasons I'm a Christian is because I prefer civilization as opposed to your uncivilized Babylonian babble.

You, by your very nature prove the existence of Lucifer. You're one of the broken spokes in the wheel of civil society.

You butt in where and when you wish, uninvited, as did your hero in the Garden of Eden, seeking to upset the apple cart, probably unaware of yourself being used as a tool, much like stupid, lieberal fools.

What a fun post to read.

He puts ignorance, intolerance and bigotry on display like a badge of honour. All the while believing himself to be a good Christian, so if not fun, it is kind of amusing.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by DBT
A right royal set up to fail in the full knowledge of what would happen....then blame and punish the two naive innocents for their inevitable failure, a failure planned from the beginning.

Set the whole thing up so He could send His Son to a time and place where asses were wiped with bare hands, there were no antibiotics or indoor plumbing, so that He could suffer for those who hated Him & die a humiliating and excruciating death for sins He did not commit.

Dang God sure pulled one over on us with this Christianity thing.

You have every right to point out how ridiculous our religious claims are. I have no issue with that I’d sooner die than see it otherwise. But please... do so in the context of the whole story.

I just contextualized it. You don’t have to believe the story, but that is the whole story.

Your context is false. You fail to take so many things into account that it's ridiculous. I'll just say that this hypothetical, omniscient/omnipotent God could have done a better job of it from the beginning. And please, don't appeal to free will.....you know very well that children cannot make reliable life choices for a reason.....think about it.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by DBT

Your context is false. You fail to take so many things into account that it's ridiculous. I'll just say that this hypothetical, omniscient/omnipotent God could have done a better job of it from the beginning. And please, don't appeal to free will.....you know very well that children cannot make reliable life choices for a reason.....think about it.

It was your context that was off; I was merely asking you to consider your comments from inside the system you criticize just for the sake of intellectual honesty.

Again I have no problem with your questioning and criticizing I don’t take it personally. You do seem rather angry about the assertions of something you consider a fairytale tho?

I’m not a guy to appeal to free will. Your willingness to question an Almighty Transcendent God is an example of where I’d be were it for free will of the autonomous sort most people speak.

Bondage suits me well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by DBT
A right royal set up to fail in the full knowledge of what would happen...

Set the whole thing up so He could send His Son to a time and place where
asses were wiped with bare hands, there were no antibiotics or indoor plumbing,.

Greeks and Romans in the time the Jesus story is set, did not wipe their ass with bare hands.
and the Romans did have a form of plumbing for their toilets.

It took such pagans to teach dopey jews and christians about better hygiene.

Those tribal folk who recognized what was good had the sense to adopt
the Greek and Roman ways.

Originally Posted by efw
so that He could suffer for those who hated Him & die a humiliating and excruciating
death for sins He did not commit.

the character of JC was far from first or last to suffer terrible punishment for crimes
one did not commit.

So It is in large part a hugely beat up mythical story by religious cult fanatics,
for in such times folks in general would not actually make a lot of fuss about
such an incident, considering all the things that could and did befall people in
such times.

probably be a good idea for christians to actually do some quality indepth reading
on relevant ancient history rather that just relying on disparate, simplistic religious
spin merchant extended parable accounts in Bible.

but i suspect most will out of fear, just stay in their safe space enslavement
to subjective narrative primitive mythology.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

God's Word tells us Jesus was crucified from the foundation of the world. Sin was not an intrusion into God's plan. He created Satan with full knowledge. Perhaps He looked forward to the curse with glee ; or perhaps with sadness... We finites cannot know ...

or total indifference.

however we do know the Lord gets peronal pleasure out of destroying
as expressed in Deuteronomy 28:63.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by DBT

Set the whole thing up so He could send His Son to a time and place where asses were wiped with bare hands, there were no antibiotics or indoor plumbing, so that He could suffer for those who hated Him & die a humiliating and excruciating death for sins He did not commit.

You have every right to point out how ridiculous our religious claims are. I have no issue with that I’d sooner die than see it otherwise. But please... do so in the context of the whole story.

I just contextualized it. You don’t have to believe the story, but that is the whole story.

Truly you are an arrogant individual. You couldn't create a multi-billion dollar business and live for 200 years and yet you think you can do a better job for all of history. You are special!

Everyday Hunter
X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by CCCC
And the winner is......because my parents were. - - -

No winner there - you are so very wrong.

People who have had no contact with the bible or Christianity cannot become Christians, that can only happen through conditioning, conversion or people being drawn to the faith once it has been established....missionaries or evangelism at work, etc.

You certainly live in a vacuum. There Muslims who became Christian because Jesus came to them.

Read the book The Case For Miracles.

I didn't expect you to understand what I said, and you have confirmed my expectation.

Just a hint, it has nothing to do with the fact that some do happen to convert....which is what I said.

Did you consider the fact that there are people who convert to Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, etc? What do you think that means?

God sends a deluding influence one those who wish to believe a lie. Read the book The Case For Miracle.

I've read that in the Bible, but I find it a bit confusing. I've heard from a lot of Christians that the way they came to believe was by some life changing event that left them convinced that God had spoken to them. Many of them were not seeking at all, and perhaps didn't even want to believe. The Apostle Paul might even fit that description, I don't know. It just seems like that statement doesn't always hold true. It seems like you need to believe in order to understand, but you also need to understand before you can believe, if that makes sense.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Read the book The Case For Miracles

Why does Strobel not make mention of catholic miracles
considering they are some of the most documented?

could it be his Evangelical Protestant bias perhaps?

Originally Posted by efw
God “stacked the deck”? Are you suggesting He is a trickster?

God most certainly deployed the best trickster in the business for the task.

and since his son was pre-destined for sacrfice (before the foundation of the world),
then he couldnt risk Adam/Eve making a different choice, ..so yes, the deck
was stacked.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive. - Blaise Pascal

And then they go looking for reasons to substantiate their belief.

This likely applies to one’s ‘rejection of’ the existence of God...as well as one’s ‘belief in’ the existence of God.

Thomas Nagel is a professor at New York University who teaches philosophy and law, and he’s an atheist. And as an atheist he makes an extraordinary confession...he didn’t just come to the conclusion based on the data...he said:

“I ‘want’ atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers.” - Thomas Nagel

“It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, ‘hope’ that I’m right in my belief. I don’t ‘want’ there to be a God; I don’t ‘want’ the universe to be like that.” - Thomas Nagel

There’s clearly a difference between “I *don’t* believe it” and “I don’t *want* to believe it”.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
People almost invariably arrive at their beliefs not on the basis of proof but on the basis of what they find attractive. - Blaise Pascal

And then they go looking for reasons to substantiate their belief.

This likely applies to one’s ‘rejection of’ the existence of God...as well as one’s ‘belief in’ the existence of God.

Thomas Nagel is a professor at New York University who teaches philosophy and law, and he’s an atheist. And as an atheist he makes an extraordinary confession...he didn’t just come to the conclusion based on the data...he said:

“I ‘want’ atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers.” - Thomas Nagel

“It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, ‘hope’ that I’m right in my belief. I don’t ‘want’ there to be a God; I don’t ‘want’ the universe to be like that.” - Thomas Nagel

There’s clearly a difference between “I *don’t* believe it” and “I don’t *want* to believe it”.

Fun post. Thanks.

Everyday Hunter
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by DBT

Truly you are an arrogant individual. You couldn't create a multi-billion dollar business and live for 200 years and yet you think you can do a better job for all of history. You are special!

I'm not the arrogant one abusing others because they question beliefs and point out problems, in other words, discussing the issues and not attacking an opponent. That is you and your group.

The context was wrong because the context described in genesis tells us that God placed two naive individuals, not having knowledge of good and evil, right and wrong, in the garden with a cunning Serpent in the full knowledge of what would happen....and it was only upon eating of the fruit of the tree of knowledge of good and evil that they knew what they had done.

That clearly is the context because that is the story line.

Page 14 of 62 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 61 62

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

160 members (300_savage, 1minute, 2five7, 2ndwind, 264mag, 17CalFan, 20 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,859
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.