Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
But as far as answering the OP's question, I can't do it because I haven't used both to shoot elk with. How about you?

i've killed three elk using .308" bullets launched at .308 Win muzzle velocities. The elk don't know or care if a .308 Win fired it or not and it makes no difference to the validity of the results - If the same bullet is launched at the same velocity by two different cartridges (.308 Win or .30-06 in this case), the downrange ballistics are the same.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53
Originally Posted by WAM
When y’all get tired of peeing on each other’s boots, try the electric fence....

this post answer for the win ! GRIN

Stand a little closer, Peter. I don't want to pee on your boots, I want to pee into 'em.

>> naw i am not into male - male bonding sex as i think you may be ?

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

And FWIW, anyone who says they shoot heavy recoiling rifles as well as rifles with way less recoil are talking out of their ass....

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Yet a few I can think of around here claim otherwise.

Originally Posted by SKane
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

And FWIW, anyone who says they shoot heavy recoiling rifles as well as rifles with way less recoil are talking out of their ass....

C
cecilb Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I'm wondering why I started this thread!!!!!

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Because you are trying to convince your self you need a 300 savage!

The manly wapiti medicine!

My avatar is ample proof......Anus 95 packing out a raghorn harvested with a 🤡 U guessed it.

300 savage.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/20/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cecilb
I'm wondering why I started this thread!!!!!

They'll do that to you around here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
So the advent of rangefinders & dialing hunting scopes has made “flat shooting” less essential- the ability to point & shoot out to 350+ yards is still a huge advantage in open county hunting where your opportunity may be brief. The confidence that a “on hair” hold works saves very critical time. If you have all day dialing to the exact yardage is great but all day isn’t always available,

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Spec

You noticed that too ? huh

NO ONE ‘usually’ mentions the time involved in twisting turrets.
Gotta range first, read chart second, twist third, THEN aim/shoot!!!

Justsayin

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If you pay attention, the real long range shooters are not all that into rushing. Making the shot is what gives them the juice. The aim on hair group mostly don’t qualify as long range shooters.

Justsayen

Last edited by battue; 02/21/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I won't address 300 vs 308 on elk, but will address trajectory. Out to 300 yards every bolt gun I've ever owned shoots flat enough to hit any big game animal with no more than a 1-2" hold over. At 400 or more none of them have shot flat enough to make the shot unless I knew the exact range and compensated for it. There is a big enough difference between 400 and 450 to make for a complete miss if I guess wrong. I'd still need a range finder along with either dots or dials even with a 300 WM. In reality there is only a 25 yard window around 300-350 yards where the flatter trajectory of the 300 is an advantage over 308. Twisting dials is more precise, but I agree too slow for most hunting. But a scope with multiple aiming points is precise enough and a lot faster.

And being honest about your skills is the key. Sure a 300 WM is more effective at longer range than a 308. But when I came to the realization that around 300 to MAYBE 400 yards was the limits of my skill level I sold my 300 magnum rifles and have hunted with 308 for the last 10-12 years.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by jwall
Spec

Justsayin

Jerry

First, thank you JMR, you took the words right out of my mouth. It's a common misconception that magnums extend your maximum point blank range by a wide margin but they don't. This is getting way off topic but since jwall brought it up, here's an article by Ron Spomer on this very subject and he pegs the difference in MPBR between the .308 and .300 Win. on a 10-inch target as 320 vs 350 yards.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/elk-cartridge-showdown-308-win-vs-300-win-mag-vs-338-win-mag/

Second jwall, if you two noticed the same thing then you both saw something that wasn't there because you're talking apples and oranges here. Your first quote (the one I commented on) talked about "long shots." Most people who shoot at distances that allow them to take "long shots" with confidence don't consider anything within their MPBR a long shot. I was talking about long range, you guys are talking about MPBR and they're not one and the same.

Third, with respect to using the range finder and the time it takes, if you guys are taking "350+ yard shots" and "holding on hair" in open country without using a rangefinder to confirm the range then you're both knuckleheads.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some scope reticles can be used as a relatively quick and accurate rangefinder out to most MPBR ranges, if one closely knows the size of the target. However, they are still a rangefinder and not a guess.

However, they are obviously more of a guess than an accurate RF. And again, the LR group does their best to eliminate all guessing.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
True on the RF reticles but that takes a lot of practice with the specific animal you're hunting. It's still not very precise, and we're talking elk here. I'm betting that a guy from Arkansas who rarely hunts elk is not up to the task.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt, and a RF has become something I don't want to leave home without. Very seldom need it for our woods hunting, but we usually are watching fields during the last hours. Some of which stretch to 400 plus a little. At distance, most that know what they are doing usually get a decent rest, they are shooting at stationary animals and ranging, dialing, etc are part of doing it right.

Addition: I'm no LR shooter, however watching those that are makes it obvious they make the time to get it as correct as possible. If they can't do it, they pass....

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=jwall]Spec

Justsayin

It's a common <misconception >that magnums extend your maximum point blank range by a wide margin but they don't.

This is getting way off topic but since ONE >jwall brought it up, here's an article by Ron Spomer on this very subject and he pegs the difference in MPBR between the .308 and .300 Win. TWO > on a 10-inch target as 320 vs 350 yards.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/elk-cartridge-showdown-308-win-vs-300-win-mag-vs-338-win-mag/

Second jwall, if you two noticed the same thing then you both saw something that wasn't there because you're talking apples and oranges here. Your first quote (the one I commented on) talked about "long shots." Most people who shoot at distances that allow them to take "long shots" with confidence don't consider anything within their MPBR a long shot. I was talking about long range, you guys are talking about MPBR and they're not one and the same.

Third, with respect to using the range finder and the time it takes, if you guys are taking "350+ yard shots" and "holding on hair" in open country THREE > without using a rangefinder to confirm the range then you're both knuckleheads.
-----------------------------------------

I am NOT debating you. Just pointing out where YOU are WRONG.

1.Twas NOT I who brought it up. RE READ, comprehension.

2. Neither of us stated 10" target --> DeerS & ELKs are DEEPER than 10"
...b. MY MPBR is 400 yds > just so you know (something !)
EVEN at 500 yds with a 270 W or BETTER -- I KNOW the drop in trajectory.

3. I did NOT say I did NOT use a rangefinder !! I USE one while scanning the OPEN area BEFORE game is seen.

I am OUT ! I want you to have some accurate facts.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 02/21/20.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I am NOT debating you. Just pointing out where YOU are WRONG.

I am OUT ! I want you to have some accurate facts.

LOL, too funny. And chickensh** to boot.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Spec

Justsayin

Jerry

Just sayin,

They either have or make the time or pass. And that is what you don't want to acknowledge....If they run out of time, they accept it as part of the game they play....,

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
VII. Thou shalt learn to shoot as swiftly as the hawk flieth, and thou shalt not fiddle-f*** with thy gear, nor adjust thy scope, nor set up thy bipod, for thou hast not time. - 7th commandment from David Petzal’s 10 Commandments of Elk Hunting.

This is why my .300 Weatherby is zeroed at 250 yards with a quality scope with no turret twisting option. All the elk I have shot at seemed to fall down quickly to avoid being shot again. I have also killed elk with my .308 usually at shorter ranges in timber. Do you need a .300 Magnum? No.... not about need for me. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by WAM
VII. Thou shalt learn to shoot as swiftly as the hawk flieth, and thou shalt not fiddle-f*** with thy gear, nor adjust thy scope, nor set up thy bipod, for thou hast not time. - 7th commandment from David Petzal’s 10 Commandments of Elk Hunting.

MY MAN ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Page 10 of 15 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

248 members (12344mag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,703 guests, and 1,041 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,973
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.