Campfire Outfitter
That's why I carry one of each. grin

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by battue
Didn't mean the post to be confrontational with regard what you choose to use. However, you definitely used the 10 commandment post to vindicate your choice or choices. Just pointing out that Pretzal, in my opinion is a questionable witness....

We post, others respond. Sometimes in agreement, sometimes not....

Hell, I still plan on using Leupold scopes in the immediate future.... grin

I didn't misunderstand you and wasn't attempting to take exception.

Printed words can't portray our inflection, UNLESS we use editor and make it obvious.
No problem battue at all.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Hahahaha! Actually the largest bull I've ever taken with a rifle was one I shot with a.257 Weatherby at 385 yards, and I'm damn glad I had that rifle along.

He was leaving the country, along with 7-8 cows,( bumped by other hunters) and luckily he stopped and looked back, before disappearing into a cedar jungle. There was no time to range, just point and shoot. I put a 120gr partition through both lungs from prone.

It was sighted for a 300 yard zero.

Thank You sir:

That's been my point IN this thread.

Jerry

10 years ago I killed a really big black bear across a canyon right before dark with a .308 at 492 yards, after spinning my turret to the correct setting. There was no way to cut the distance,

as he was working his way towards heavy cover when I took the shot....That would have been a very difficult holdover shot with any rifle. I was glad I had that rifle, and it's capacity, along that evening.

LOL, I can't believe you broke one of Petzal's 10 commandments. Somebody get this man a subscription to Outdoor Life, he needs to read up on this stuff.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Didn't mean the post to be confrontational with regard what you choose to use. However, you definitely used the 10 commandment post to vindicate your choice or choices. Just pointing out that Pretzal, in my opinion is a questionable witness....

My original quote that Jerry commented on was posted in jest to lighten up the conversation. Some folks on here just get too butt hurt when anything that they don’t agree with 100% is posted. Petzal’s dry wit beats most of the dross posted on here. Happy Trails

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by WAM
Some folks on here just get too butt hurt when anything that they don’t agree with 100% is posted.

Yeah, ain't that something? Some people will go so far as to call you an A-hole if you do that.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM

My original quote that Jerry commented on was posted in jest to lighten up the conversation. Some folks on here just get too butt hurt when anything that they don’t agree with 100% is posted. Petzal’s dry wit beats most of the dross posted on here. Happy Trails

Don't take offense. Some agree, some don't. Some think others are funny and some don't...Jerry took it serious, I thought it was dumb on Pretzals part, not yours...

In addition the serious LR people here pay the big dollars for those expensive scopes for reasons. One of which is the ability to consistently dial....They are not all that much into hold over....or set and forget....

Last edited by battue; 02/24/20.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The thing is, I agree with jerry, as far as flat-shooting being an advantage within your MPBR.

But I disagreed with his statement that flat-shooting magnums make hitting at "long distances" easier. Because we are using different definitions for "long distance."

I think where Jerry and I got of the rails was when he said he wasn't going to debate me, just tell me that I'm wrong. How does that even work?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Excluding my ,22;s which aren't legal here in Colorado, every centerfire rifle in my safes is an "elk rifles" with the right load.

The only difference is what I consider their effective range. While I use 2000fps and 1500fpe as a guideline for retained velocity and energy, that's all it is - a reference point for comparing various loads. Some of my rifle loads don't have 2000fps at the muzzle and my .44 Mag handgun loads are more like 1530fps and 1250fpe at the muzzle.

The real question for me is the maximum range at which the bullet used in a particular load will retain enough velocity and energy to perform as desired - meaning reliable but controlled expansion with good weight retention and penetration even if heavy bone is hit. This obviously depends on bullet construction as well as impact velocity. Ballistic charts won't provide exact details as to how a load will perform in a given situation but, when coupled with knowledge of the specific bullet construction, they can help people make more informed choices and decisions.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
The thing is, I agree with jerry, as far as flat-shooting being an advantage within your MPBR.

I think where Jerry and I got of the rails was when he said he wasn't going to debate me, just tell me that I'm wrong. How does that even work?

"Smokey", I promise you that I did not get off rail. It's simply that I have used MY method for +/- 40 yrs and I
KNOW how to use it. I ALSO said, I would NOT debate it with you and later with anyone.

I Don't have a problem with you, battue, scenarshooter, or MOST people. The ones that aggravate me are those who
simply declare my way is wrong and their's is right or better.

I don't come here looking to argue and debate. I will discuss as long as it is amiable.

It doesn't make any diff to me if Petzal was serious or joking. He expressed MY preference.

I hope everyone has a good day.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Jerry, I'm not arguing with you about what you shoot or how you use it. I'm not sure how you got that idea. The only thing I argued with was your general statement that magnum cartridges make it easier to hit what you're aiming at, at "long ranges." Like I said, it depends on how you define long range.

If you go to a shindig like scenarshooter's annual long-range extravaganza, you won't see many if any of the guys there shooting .300 WMs. You'll see lots of 6.5's and 6 mm's, and lots of suppressors. The thing they all have in common is low recoil. Because without a doubt, low recoil helps you hit what you're shooting at, at long ranges.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The following quote in ON P 21 per Your ?? and My response to you.

Originally Posted by jwall

Second, you made the point that using a rangefinder and such takes time for guys who use turrets, yet you've found a way to use your rangefinder before the game shows up. How does that work, and why can't a guy twisting turrets also "scan the OPEN area BEFORE" the game is seen? Is there something about twisting turrets that prevents that??

I would NOT argue that Ranging & Turrets are less accurate. Certainly they SHOULD be MORE exact, NO question.
And YES guys who use LRF and Turrets sure can scan an area and mark landmarks AHEAD of time WHEN there is time.

I will not argue with anyone about MY MPBR....

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK......where did I argue with you about your MPBR? Or tell you you shouldn't use a .300WM?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Coyote hunter you are not getting what is trying to be communicated to you IMO.

Your ballistic rehtoric is only half of the equation. The other half is the ability to pull of the shot accurately.

You are assuming every firearm own you is equal in accuracy. As you increase distance inherent accuracy is amplified.

You are also assuming every firearm you own is just as " handy " for lack of a better term.

A two inch group at 100 becomes 14 inches at 700 I believe. So the amount of " flatness" is a mute point IMO.

A personal deal I have is when I hunt on my Grey Mollie Mule. I use a carbine. Because she don't like a rifle barrel in her shoulder and balks. Before I figured this out she bucked my ass off! A take down might even bee safer, or put the firearm on the pack mule.

Or pack the beach, or let my buddy ride her.

Last edited by Angus1895; 02/24/20.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Jerry, I'm not arguing with you about what you shoot or how you use it. I'm not sure how you got that idea. The only thing I argued with was your general statement that magnum cartridges make it easier to hit what you're aiming at, at "long ranges." Like I said, it depends on how you define long range.

If you go to a shindig like scenarshooter's annual long-range extravaganza, you won't see many if any of the guys there shooting .300 WMs. You'll see lots of 6.5's and 6 mm's, and lots of suppressors. The thing they all have in common is low recoil. Because without a doubt, low recoil helps you hit what you're shooting at, at long ranges.

Which is why I roll with a brake on my 300 RUM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Personally I find I shoot a pistol grip more accurately than a straight or English shot gun style grip.

It freaking blows cuz I like eyeballing the straight grips better.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Shooting straight english style stocks good requires a certain style. Having a good looking las along to eyeball is part of the proper style....

(Smoke prefers his thicker-"much thicker"-so ignore any criticism he may inject.)

[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Nice picture.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
An English driven shoot accompanied by a fair haired Las shooting companion is a bucket list item....

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Don't forget the tall rubber boots. She'll need 'em.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The lady is an experienced shooter and has her own. LeChameau....Me, I'm just a LaCrosse Burley guy, but she puts up with me....

Page 14 of 15 1 2 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

457 members (1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 57 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,816
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.