Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
I spent over half my life in Alaska. There are no turkeys there. (At least the kind with feathers) So I booked a hunt in Washington. My question is, and I've heard, but don't know, is wild turkey good to eat? Thinking about just bringing back breasts. I need to know.
How do you fix it? Mostly used to Thanksgiving Turkey from a grocery store.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
BP-B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jack, it's not too bad. Just head shoot them and clean them right away. I've shot a lot of turkey and the worst one to eat was one that I made a less than perfect shot on, when it flew overhead and I took it out of the air. You can cook the whole bird, just like a thanksgiving turkey. They have a sweet/gamy taste to me, but not much different than a domestic turkey... Good luck with your hunt..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Its not a butterball so you have to add the fat back in. Low and slow cooking is the trick or it gets tough. Cheap fatty bacon is effective to add fat and flavor.

Ive had them come out good with bacon and lots of citrus fruit. Don't be afraid.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
I spent over half my life in Alaska. There are no turkeys there. (At least the kind with feathers) So I booked a hunt in Washington. My question is, and I've heard, but don't know, is wild turkey good to eat? Thinking about just bringing back breasts. I need to know.
How do you fix it? Mostly used to Thanksgiving Turkey from a grocery store.

You're not losing a whole lot by just bringing the breast back. I have just recently resorted to this more as a way to save freezer space than anything else. A whole bird will take up an entire shelf all stretched out.

I have been known to try all sorts of methods. My favorite is injecting it with a marinade and doing a hot smoke. The marinade is (you'll laugh) is a mix of butter, curry powder, bacon fat, Creole seasoning, and grape jelly.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
another thing....
when my FIL got me into turkey hunting... We used to boil dip and pluck thos things.... Don't waste the time. Just breats them out. Michael Weddel has a good youtube video on it.

I do keep the legs for the crock pot though.

Last edited by humdinger; 02/17/20.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I find em very tasty. Usually breast em and cut the larger pieces from the thighs and legs. Legs get pretty tough. I'll oftentimes cook them in a crockpot with gravy. Makes a good cream turkey over biscuits. Good grilled in chunks basted with butter and vinegar.....yum!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Much better than butterball !
Breast them out . Cut it into strips or nugget size pieces .
Soak in butter milk for 24 hrs , bread and fry it.
Marinate in Zesty Italian dressing for 8-24 hrs then grill it.
Both ways are delicious as long as you Don’t over cook it !

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Chunk the breast in to bite sized pieces. Soak in buttermilk, dredge in your favorite breading and deep fry.

Pretty good vittles.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Chunk the breast in to bite sized pieces. Soak in buttermilk, dredge in your favorite breading and deep fry.

Pretty good vittles.

This

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

Pretty good vittles.

This is the only way I eat wild turkey.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Stilllearning
Much better than butterball !
Breast them out . Cut it into strips or nugget size pieces .
Soak in butter milk for 24 hrs , bread and fry it.
Marinate in Zesty Italian dressing for 8-24 hrs then grill it.
Both ways are delicious as long as you Don’t over cook it !

we will soak in zesty italian, then bread and fry, unreal. We always cut up a deer backstrap into chunks too and fry them too, always good but the turkey is usually the first to get eaten. For dessert, we'll fry some of those flaky biscuits, a little powdered suger or blackberry jam on them, good stuff.

Last edited by killerv; 02/21/20.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
They taste good enough that you'll want to eat it. Breast it out and take it home.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
We debone and cube the meat. It’s great fried with gravy and a biscuit.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I give them away, but a few few friends that deep fry them.

CWT Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The breast are much better than domestic turkey. I grill them and they are great. Do keep the legs and thighs. Boil until tender and make a turkey pie or put in soup or season with mexican spices and make tacos.

Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms should be a convenience store; not a government agency.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Keep the legs and thighs and even the little "oyster" on top of the back just ahead of the thigh. As most have said the breast cut into pieces or strips and fried is hard to beat. For the rest try this:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...460/re-wild-game-taste-test#Post14591460

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Having plucked a few, I'm in the Skin 'em Camp now. There's not much fat to lose that way anyway. I've sliced the breast for grilling or breading and frying with good results, just don't overcook them. The rest has gone into the crockpot for soup, but now we have one of those electric pressure cookers that works magic on stuff. Next one is going in there, parts at least. Either way, the meat will fall right off the bones, and wild turkey legs have a lot of bones!

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I take the breasts and pound then down to about 3/4 inch. Put provolone and munster cheese, 1/4 cup of chopped onion, spinach, mushrooms, and sliced thin, good ham. Saute onion, spinach, and mushrooms. Place that mixture onto of the other ingredients at one end of breast and roll it up, wrap it with bacon strips. Hold it with toothpicks, bake it to 165 degrees. Let it rest, then cut it like a pinwheel. Easier to do than say and real tasty.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by SS336
I take the breasts and pound then down to about 3/4 inch. Put provolone and munster cheese, 1/4 cup of chopped onion, spinach, mushrooms, and sliced thin, good ham. Saute onion, spinach, and mushrooms. Place that mixture onto of the other ingredients at one end of breast and roll it up, wrap it with bacon strips. Hold it with toothpicks, bake it to 165 degrees. Let it rest, then cut it like a pinwheel. Easier to do than say and real tasty.

Just in time for turkey season. Ought to be room for bacon somewhere in there. I hear it's good for colesterol.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The first few I killed I plucked and smoked in the smoker. Then I got a couple from West Texas that had prickly pear needles in all their feathers. I am now a "skin 'em and fillet 'em" turkey cooker.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
203 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 264mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 31 invisible), 1,613 guests, and 736 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,186,240
Posts18,371,408
Members73,765
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.