Print Thread
Hop To
Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by rost495
Irons dont' shoot that much worse than optics if you shoot em enough.

You're exactly right Rost, I shoot Sharps rifles all the time out to 500 yards on steel gongs with barrel sights, and, iirc, I shot a bit over two inch 10 shot group with my REPR 308 in the black rifle challenge with the iron flip ups, plenty good enough for completing and hunt or defending oneself should a scope malfunction occur.

Trump Won!
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Optics, like red dot sights, aren’t about “better acquisition of a target.” They’re about “faster acquisition of the target” in a manner that allows engagement at speed.

They have different purposes.

If iron sights were as fast or faster than red dots, they’d be all the rage in the gun games, like three gun.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by DubThomas
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Not bad, are you going to shoot 2 10 shot groups side by side on the same sheet of paper, as the rules dictate?

I wasn't aware of the entire rules. I shot 10 of the last 14 of those rounds I had loaded. shocked I'll load some more this weekend and try to get to the range again. It's gonna be a hot sumbitch this weekend and the damn range doesn't open until 0900. It doesn't take long for the mirage to kick in.

Good luck. Remember to throw a caliper down next to the group for reference too. Looks like your rifle shoots well enough. However, like many here can attest to, you shoot one awesome group and the next one falls apart. It happens. Go back and look at some of our target pics. Youll see what im talking about

Yeah I forgot the calipers as well. That rifle is pretty consistent as far as accuracy goes. I've shot smaller groups with it, usually 5 shot groups. I'll get something posted pretty soon!

Smaller groups usually 5 shots... that right there says it ALL.....

There's a reason this challenge isn't a 3 or 5 shot ordeal.....:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Just sayin. These are my least accurate ar's...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by David_Walter
Optics, like red dot sights, aren’t about “better acquisition of a target.” They’re about “faster acquisition of the target” in a manner that allows engagement at speed.

They have different purposes.

If iron sights were as fast or faster than red dots, they’d be all the rage in the gun games, like three gun.

Different games we play. That said I've won a few IDPA 3 gun type stages with AR and irons... its all in how you practice and how good the competition is.. LoL

Never discount irons, especially once you realize WHAT is important to irons and what isn't. The fact that most just don't or won't use irons, and I get that, doesn't mean they aren't plenty good for 9 out of 10 issues.

Worst thing with irons to me, is lighting.. you have to have good light... IE early and late suck. Last good buck I shot I could not have with the irons on the Glock but the RMR allowed the shot early in the morning on the 11 pointer.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I agree with all of that.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Please have your post in this order:

1) Picture of rifle and setup.
2) Picture of 100 yard range.
3) Picture of target (optics) or targets (irons) with 20 rounds through them. (place calipers or ruler laying over one group for reference)
4) Description of rifle and ammo used.
5) For Scoped Bolt and Semi-Auto rifles, list your group sizes and the average. For Iron sights, please list the group size and score.

Please sign each target with your 24HC name and date.

Thanks and good shooting.

I'm always late to the party.

Factory Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC, 6.5 Creedmoor
Factory trigger, 4 lb. pull weight
McMillan Remington Hunter, carbon fiber
Bushnell 3.5-21x50 HDMR
Burris Tactical scope bases
Burris XTR Signature rings, with ~30 MOA added
Factory Hornady Match 147gr ELD-M

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/06/20.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE! good shooting 4thpoint, i'll take this challenge again when my new 6.5 Swede build is done, it'll wear a 3-12 LRTS.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by wareagle700

Please have your post in this order:

1) Picture of rifle and setup.
2) Picture of 100 yard range.
3) Picture of target (optics) or targets (irons) with 20 rounds through them. (place calipers or ruler laying over one group for reference)
4) Description of rifle and ammo used.
5) For Scoped Bolt and Semi-Auto rifles, list your group sizes and the average. For Iron sights, please list the group size and score.

Please sign each target with your 24HC name and date.

Thanks and good shooting.

I'm always late to the party.

Factory Remington 700 SPS Tactical AAC, 6.5 Creedmoor
Factory trigger, 4 lb. pull weight
McMillan Remington Hunter, carbon fiber
Bushnell 3.5-21x50 HDMR
Burris Tactical scope bases
Burris XTR Signature rings, with ~30 MOA added
Factory Hornady Match 147gr ELD-M

Very nice shooting. I like how zeroed you are. That's the way you do it... I was just thinking to myself today that guys need to get out and shoot. I did today. Actually got paid to shoot today... Yeah, I have a cool boss... I was also thinking about this thread. Thinking that my CTR shoots pretty damn good at the 100 yard line, but also shoots damn fine at the 400 yard line. I went 4 out of 5 on my 2" target before I blew the damn thing off the stand:

Yeah, I'll get the bugs worked out of this target before it's all said and done. This time it was the pipe seam that split. Now I know I should have used seamless pipe for these targets. I also ended up pulling the 6" target off the stand because I could see the seam opening up. Welded the damn thing, so it should be good now. I also straightened out the other 2 (2" and 4" targets) and welded the pipe seam back together on both targets. My boss is still not hitting much of anything with his 300wm, except for the 10 and 12" targets. Funny thing is he shot a nice buck in Montana last year at a lasered 550 yards. It goes to show you that you don't need to be able to consistently hit the 2" target at 400 yards, to cleanly take game at over 500 yards. ..

15 minutes and it's like new again:

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This is what my shooting tree looks like at 50 yards. 2" target is on the upper right:

And 400 yards:

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Went out today shooting it was a balmy 10 degrees, monkeying around with a 300 wsm in model 70. Shoots 168tsx good initial loading. 180 tsx show a bunch of potential with a 5 shot group I shot. Around inch at 100yds, I need to work on getting 180 etips to shoot. I need to track down some hybrid 100V.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Went out today shooting it was a balmy 10 degrees, monkeying around with a 300 wsm in model 70. Shoots 168tsx good initial loading. 180 tsx show a bunch of potential with a 5 shot group I shot. Around inch at 100yds, I need to work on getting 180 etips to shoot. I need to track down some hybrid 100V.

Hey John, have you tried the 175 LRX in your 300WSM? I bought some for my new Tikka, but they are not grouping like I wish they would!!!
About like you said, 5 shots into an inch. I keep thinking this Tikka should shoot better...

By the way, I loaded up some 165gr TSX in my buddies 300WSM extreme weather and that damn thing loves them. 5 shots into a 1/2 inch!!!!!

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S

Hey John, have you tried the 175 LRX in your 300WSM? I bought some for my new Tikka, but they are not grouping like I wish they would!!!
About like you said, 5 shots into an inch. I keep thinking this Tikka should shoot better...

By the way, I loaded up some 165gr TSX in my buddies 300WSM extreme weather and that damn thing loves them. 5 shots into a 1/2 inch!!!!!

Lawrence,

When I had a tikka in a 300 wsm, it loved RL19, 168 tsx or ttsx didn't matter. I never messed with the 175. Yeah this 300 wsm I have is g prefix stainless classic. Back to the tikka I was playing with 180's and h4350 when I had that Ttikka and the great h4350 shortage hit us. So I ended using H4831 for 180's and 190's. The RL19 load I lucked out on that one and you actually could find rl19 back then along with imr 4350 lol... I noticed in Barnes manual said imr 4350 was the most accurate powder to use with 180's. So I might try some of that with that etip and tsx.

Last edited by 79S; 03/06/20.

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Lawrence,

When I had a tikka in a 300 wsm, it loved RL19, 168 tsx or ttsx didn't matter. I never messed with the 175. Yeah this 300 wsm I have is g prefix stainless classic. Back to the tikka I was playing with 180's and h4350 when I had that Ttikka and the great h4350 shortage hit us. So I ended using H4831 for 180's and 190's. The RL19 load I lucked out on that one and you actually could find rl19 back then along with imr 4350 lol... I noticed in Barnes manual said imr 4350 was the most accurate powder to use with 180's. So I might try some of that with that etip and tsx.

Good luck with it buddy.

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I really need to go shoot this stainless classic in this 300 Weatherby as well..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I really need to go shoot this stainless classic in this 300 Weatherby as well..

You need to. I love my 300wby..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by 79S

If you hate it let me know cool

I know someone that would covet it...

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S

If you hate it let me know cool

I know someone that would covet it...

A stainless classic 300 weatherby would be a damn nice find...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE! good shooting 4thpoint, i'll take this challenge again when my new 6.5 Swede build is done, it'll wear a 3-12 LRTS.

Gunner,

I'm interested in the details of your Swede build (action, stock, barrel, etc.). Bullet and velocity you are expecting, as well.

I'll probably shoot the challenge again, once I replace/fix the trigger. Light triggers have been a crutch of mine, and I've been working to fix that, but the 4 lb. pull was a bit more than I am used to. I think the rifle is mechanically capable of doing better. I'm the weakest link in the system.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 03/07/20.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner,

I'm interested in the details of your Swede build (action, stock, barrel, etc.). Bullet and velocity you are expecting, as well.

I'll probably shoot the challenge again, once I replace/fix the trigger. Light triggers have been a crutch of mine, and I've been working to fix that, but the 4 lb. pull was a bit more than I am used to. I think the rifle is mechanically capable of doing better. I'm the weakest link in the system.

Jason

I know you will turn in some better scores, as soon as you fine tune rifle and load. You are a good shooter.. Rifle definitely has potential...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I might just take my buddies 270 out today and shoot this challenge with it. Hell, I might even use some partitions. We'll see.....

BSA MAGA
Page 35 of 46 1 2 33 34 35 36 37 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

78 members (6mmCreedmoor, 007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 12 invisible), 1,473 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,311
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.