Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Ok, quick background, rifle that Mickey put a Rock barrel on years ago. First shooting it now.

Rem 660(600? I forget) anyway short.

Having to seat bullets 2.830. That MIGHT be whats driving me nuts.

22 inch barrel. what should have been mild loads over the chronograph were about normal. 140 grain bullets.

Even the ones that clocked like 2600 fps could hardly open the bolt.

Flash forward bolt timing way off, had a new bolt handle put on by a top gun in that field.

Starting over again. 2800 fps first load, and the bolt always opens until the cam point just fine. at 2800 I had to bump it a bit. By the time I got to 2920 I had to hit it to get it open. With the palm pretty hard. IE no way I can cycle this gun on my shoulder and its my guiding backup gun for me for moose/sheep/grizzly this fall. I may have to fall back to my 338-06 but I really wanted the 284.

So at the moment I'm not sure what is making this last bit of bolt opening so hard. At this point I'm going to burn more 2nds of 140s around 2800 to see if it groups well enough( I was expecting this to be well under MOA as a shooter) and if the bolt opens easy enough I can live with it. If so I'll swap to 139 LRX and hope like heck they group well enough.

I"m open to comments and if I left out info please ask. There is a lot I have not put like brass brand etc....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Your guiding,you can't afford to have any equipment around that has any reliability issues. It don't sound like anything you would loan a friend either. You can get that level of performance from a stock 7-08 to. Do what you need to to have 100 % CONFIDENCE in your gun. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
Possible problem could be neck thickness. SAAMI max neck is .320." Check the diameter of loaded rounds, make sure they are plenty below that. But I'll bet Mickey's reamer was way below SAAMI max, so measure fired cases, make sure they are at least .002" above the loaded rounds.

But you are a very experienced hand, so I am sure you know all of that.

Last edited by utah708; 03/19/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Send it to Shooter71. He'll sort it out.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Sounds like pressure problems. If loads are what should be “in the book” perhaps it could be a tight chamber, tight bore or a combination of both. Have you tried different powders? How about OAL? If bullets are being forced into the lands pressure can be seriously jacked.
Sometimes, for whatever mysterious reason, some rifles just can’t be safely loaded to what would normally be considered safe maximum velocities. I have a 7x57 that is like that. I can safely achieve about 2800 fps with most 140 gr. bullets and about 2770 with 145s. I know there are others on this site that have claimed about 2900 or better but that is simply out of reach with my rifle. I don’t lose any sleep over it - I just live with it. It kills game just fine.

To change the subject slightly. The 284 Win. is a fine cartridge and if I had the luxury of accurately placing a properly constructed bullet into a unsuspecting grizzly I wouldn’t hesitate. However, if I were in your position, where there’s the possibility of facing a seriously p****d - off wounded grizz at feet rather than yards range in a choked alder thicket, I’d much rather be carrying your 338-06 (or my 35 Whelen) stoked with good 250 grainers. I realize that you’re a guide while I’m just a hunter but....just sayin’.🙂

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Brass, reamer and dies have to be the same dimensions, or you will always have issues. Had the same problem with my 6.5 X 284.

Tried to get a 284 to work in a SA LH Rem 700 limited on bullet selection 284 bullets on factory rounds were all short for reason. 145 Gr Speer is probably your best bet. Ended up going with the 7-08 for more choice in bullets.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thanks for the words.

It will be reliable or it won't go. Thats why I'm sorting through it now. It ran perfectly as a 308 for years...

I did a check check on the necks long ago and it was all fine, but I'll remeasure, maybe I read it wrong.

No clue who shooter 71 is or if its a joke.

Powders. Started with RL17. Gave me same bolt issues which led me to cam issues.... since I don't have it down here, I"m starting with 4350. Get the same results. I don't think changing more is going to help. Seating depth, its no where near rifling. Thats for sure. And I don't dare seat em any deeper in the case than they are already. Kind of stuck right there unless I have room to open the box somehow but I doubt that

About bears and such. Understood. Barnes bullets and I'm comfortable with it and thats pretty much it to me. My 338-06 will get the call if the 284 doesn't finish out this spring, but again, a 140 mono at 2800 will stop any foolishness as long as you are calm and accurate enough.

KK I had not thought of it exactly that way. No way of knowing reamer, I know he borrowed it from another smith as he did with my 7x300 wtby. Reloading I can stick whatever bullet in it and if its not a mono for what I want then I'll just step up in round size.

In the end my buddy keeps telling me lets rip the tube off and put a shilen in 338 federal on it.... but I paid so much for and have had such great results with Rock tubes..

I still may think about buying the stuff to polish the chamber and see if that helps any on extraction.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jeff, shooter71 is a gun smith here on this site, He seems to be gaining a reputation for doing quality work.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
[quote]....buying the stuff to polish the chamber....

Possibly a rough spot or a burr? Never thought of that.🤔. Any suspicious marks on your brass?

What man, on his death bed, ever lamented, "God, I wish I had spent more time at the office."
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I love my 284 and 6.5x284 but..... they belong in a long action (mauser or '06 length).
Even if you get the feed and extraction working fine in a short action, there are
overall length issues.

How does your brass feed and eject before you load a charge. Are you having
shoulder or length of brass issues????

Since you are going to use this for relatively up close and personal situations, maybe you could
find a sturdy round nose bullet of say 150 gr. and be able to get a full charge of powder in the case
when you figure out the extraction/pressure problem.

Reloader 17 works great for me and also H4350.

Can your local smith borrow a set of 284 Win reamers and gauges and clean up your chamber????

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B3

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Jeff, shooter71 is a gun smith here on this site, He seems to be gaining a reputation for doing quality work.

Thanks!

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Bobber257
[quote]....buying the stuff to polish the chamber....

Possibly a rough spot or a burr? Never thought of that.🤔. Any suspicious marks on your brass?

Not really, but the guy that retimed the bolt said the chamber looked like a corncob and the barrel a gravel road. But then he doesn't like Rock and then finally said the barrel looks like it should shoot fine... LOL. Who knows.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I love my 284 and 6.5x284 but..... they belong in a long action (mauser or '06 length).
Even if you get the feed and extraction working fine in a short action, there are
overall length issues.

How does your brass feed and eject before you load a charge. Are you having
shoulder or length of brass issues????

Since you are going to use this for relatively up close and personal situations, maybe you could
find a sturdy round nose bullet of say 150 gr. and be able to get a full charge of powder in the case
when you figure out the extraction/pressure problem.

Reloader 17 works great for me and also H4350.

Can your local smith borrow a set of 284 Win reamers and gauges and clean up your chamber????

Feeds perfectly. Smooth as silk for me. Ejects just fine.

Its not so much up close, we don't kill grizzly that often but more a backup for a moose and sheep which can be long range affairs hence the use of a higher BC bullet. When it comes to real bears on bear only hunts, the 458 comes out.

Good to know I should be ok on powder.

I will check with my friend, I know he does not have a 284 reamer but we could borrow maybe... I'll have to let him scope it I guess. I sure had thought the timing would solve the issue.

Shoulder length I have no clue, I don't have a case gauge for this one. OAL of brass has been fine. No growth to speak of.

Had an issue once on forming 257 wtby brass and had to learn to anneal it first. Maybe this needs annealing or I should see if I can get actual 284 brass instead... see if it matters. But on the 257 while it was hard to chamber to fire, once fired it came out fine...

I'm missing one thing here I THINK... I just gotta figure out which one.

Sure hope I don't have to rebarrel or buy a new gun. I just love this gun for some reason. Guess I should have left it in 308 years ago...

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well hard to say for sure, maybe the area where the bolt lugs contact the action needs some polishing. Could be some physical reason for it instead of pressure.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
From above-----"or I should see if I can get actual 284 brass "

What brass are you using if not 284 Win brass?????

I snagged a bag of 50 pcs of new Winchester 284 Win brass a week ago. Not anxious to sell, but
would consider if someone is really struggling.

" OAL of brass has been fine. No growth to speak of."

What is the actual O.D. at the web before and after firing/???

What is the actual trim length before loading and after shooting ????

Using only new brass or some reloaded also???
Sure your sizer die is set right????

Just thinking out loud.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The current trend toward shorter cases, 1.920" for the 6.5 Creedmoor, suggests that the 7mm-08, 2.035", might be a better fit, COAL wise, in a short action Remington magazine box than the 284 at 2.170".

I have 6.5-284s on both short and long actions and don't have any COAL limits in the long action, but do it the short actions.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
The current trend toward shorter cases, 1.920" for the 6.5 Creedmoor, suggests that the 7mm-08, 2.035", might be a better fit, COAL wise, in a short action Remington magazine box than the 284 at 2.170".

I have 6.5-284s on both short and long actions and don't have any COAL limits in the long action, but do it the short actions.

Kinda late for that...

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
From above-----"or I should see if I can get actual 284 brass "

What brass are you using if not 284 Win brass?????

I snagged a bag of 50 pcs of new Winchester 284 Win brass a week ago. Not anxious to sell, but
would consider if someone is really struggling.

" OAL of brass has been fine. No growth to speak of."

What is the actual O.D. at the web before and after firing/???

What is the actual trim length before loading and after shooting ????

Using only new brass or some reloaded also???
Sure your sizer die is set right????

Just thinking out loud.
Tim

284 is special run mostly at least when I bought brass years ago... so I bought hornady 6.5x284. Run it through the die, done. Just can't fathom it being an issue related to the bolt not unlocking.

Have shot both brand new brass and 1-3 times fired, all same, all same gun.

new 2.157 Fired 2.162 after 3 firings. After one its 2.157/158. Not growing much.

Web basically .498 to .500 and same after firing.

R
rost495 Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by rickt300
Well hard to say for sure, maybe the area where the bolt lugs contact the action needs some polishing. Could be some physical reason for it instead of pressure.

This is what bothers me the most. Not sure I can have a way to really figure it out. Last time I checked the lug bearing surfaces both were bearing and nothing looked weird. I"ve never lapped lugs and IIRC there is just normal bearing, not lapped into like 100 percent both lugs or anything like that.

OTOH where would this be, the bolt lifts smoothly until that last little part where its supposed to help cam the ejection out..

Anyway I have a few loaded at a mid load, if it clocks 2800 or better, bolt works ok and the accuracy is close, I'll swap to the barnes and see what they give for accuracy and speed. Got tired of burning up barnes while looking for the issue.

OF course if this works itself out, I will run a lot of ammo through to make sure it continues to work before committing to it, with the 33806 back somewhere as secondary backup or maybe just the 458. I really like the 458 actually. Its just not the ideal thing in case we are after a sheep

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
There is a difference in original WW 284 brass and other 6.5 X 284 brass. If you can find original brass try it and see if you have the same issues. Also, use a felt pen on sized brass to see where it is large in your chamber.

Go back to the basics, see if dies, brass and chambers should be the same dimension, felt pen and brass should tell the story.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

629 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 65 invisible), 2,225 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,611
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.