Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Pugs
Give it 18-24 months to work it's way up the courts system and there are going to be some really interesting cases arriving at the SC level about where laws that are being enforced and the first amendment come into conflict.

For the topic at hand, I don't blame the pastor, I blame his flock for being so (insert adjective of choice) to show up.

When you hammer and hammer at people that it is their obligation to show up, then tell them to use their own judgement about whether or not to do so, you have not really given them much chance at making an intelligent decision on the matter.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Pugs
Give it 18-24 months to work it's way up the courts system and there are going to be some really interesting cases arriving at the SC level about where laws that are being enforced and the first amendment come into conflict.

For the topic at hand, I don't blame the pastor, I blame his flock for being so (insert adjective of choice) to show up.

When you hammer and hammer at people that it is their obligation to show up, then tell them to use their own judgement about whether or not to do so, you have not really given them much chance at making an intelligent decision on the matter.

I gave up on organized religion as an altruistic entity 30 years ago so I can't argue with your assessment!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by FreeMe
The question is - does your right to worship take priority over others' right to life? And why would you want it to?

I believe that is non-sequitor.

I think it's perfectly on point.

It is.

Tarquin
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Oliver Wendell Holmes -1919 re: Schenk v. United States

"The most stringent protection of free speech would not protect a man falsely shouting fire in a theatre and causing a panic. [...] The question in every case is whether the words used are used in such circumstances and are of such a nature as to create a clear and present danger that they will bring about the substantive evils that Congress has a right to prevent."

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
IC B2

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
again, I'm showing my ignorance here - not a lawyer, don't claim to have any guidance

but I'm not sure just because the law doesn't specifically address religion and religion only, that Religion still does not get an exemption.

maybe the CDC does have the ability to override it

but I don't think the founding fathers determined that our constitutional rights are to only be upheld during "normal" times. in fact, I'd argue those rights are more important during times of crisis. (see Patriot Act)

now it seems like common sense to stay away from a crowd - and I'm not debating the common sense part of it, just the legality.

at any rate, its seems like it is well covered here with the rebuttal.

Last edited by KFWA; 03/31/20.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It wouldn't have anything to do with the collection plate, would it?

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

KFWA Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by las
It wouldn't have anything to do with the collection plate, would it?

thats what I first told my wife - The mega church has bills to pay.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by KFWA
again, I'm showing my ignorance here - not a lawyer, don't claim to have any guidance

but I'm not sure just because the law doesn't specifically address religion and religion only, that Religion still does not get an exemption.

maybe the CDC does have the ability to override it

but I don't think the founding fathers determined that our constitutional rights are to only be upheld during "normal" times. in fact, I'd argue those rights are more important during times of crisis. (see Patriot Act)

now it seems like common sense to stay away from a crowd - and I'm not debating the common sense part of it, just the legality.

at any rate, its seems like it is well covered here with the rebuttal.

It doesn't.

I posted the case law yesterday in another thread.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
People are going to gather.
If you are afraid of catching C19 and dying or suffering, it is incumbent on YOU to avoid those people!

How would I know whether you caught this at church, then sneezed on me in the grocery check out?

It is not anyone's right to infect me, or my wife, or my family, or my friends, and religion has no special rights, other than No State Imposed Religion.

I pretty much hate government in general, but it does have some necessary functions. One is to protect the people in dire times.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
God, is indifferent and often-times cruel. And worshipers of ANY faith, that decide to gather together given the present situation are MORONS...

Moronic , selfish and dangerous. You have to go see some charlatan to worship God? Any preacher that insists you come to his church during a possible pandemic is a charlatan.

No social distance and lots of elderly in pics. And we will have to pay for their healthcare if they get sick.

A 3 year old is protected by the second amendment so you can give him, her a Glock 19 a couple boxes of shells for their 4th birthday? Will the NRA bring it to the SC?

Last edited by ribka; 03/31/20.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ipopum
The Bible tells us to obey our authorities unless they conflict the clear word of god ( the bible ) .

God expects us to use our brain , that is why he gave us one.

To ignore health risks and expect god to protect us is way out in left field.

Absolute common sense here. This is the whole issue simplified.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (204guy, 12344mag, 219DW, 222Sako, 2500HD, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,301
Posts18,487,081
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.