Print Thread
Hop To
Page 40 of 46 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 45 46
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I think the accuwedge was to add upwards pressure for the bedding compound. Once it sets up you can throw the accuwedge away.

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S
Also some might say the flyers could be run out, it isn’t I checked the run out on the 75 hornady otm and all good..

I know you, you've probably messed with oal too. Maybe rost can help with some accurizing tips for the AR platform? I think I remember him talking about bedding an ar barrel or something? I don't know exactly what is involved, but it sure would be nice to have some sort of a sticky in regards to accurizing an ar. I'm used to tuning up a bolt action, but haven't messed with ar's enough to know what it takes to make them tick........

Bedding. Fairly easy. Get an accuwedge or o rings to put up pressure on the gun when assembled. Take apart. Rough up the upper where it bears, make sure you release agent the lower, then bedding compound like steel bed on the upper and lightly assemble and push the pins through under the wedge tension really easy.

Let it set up and trim up later.

Bedding makes almost no difference at all in accuracy though. FWIW. I'd waste time on it as a high master in the sport, but not much time...

One of these days I'd like to shoot those guns off a rest just to see if I do any better with them and those loads or not. I doubt it though. But you don't know till you try it.

Heck I'm so rusty at shooting I probably would shoot worse. I know my iron sight groups on here from how many years ago sure sucked. I aint any better lets just say.

I'd check runout of loaded rounds.

The other thing as mentioned like Varget, shoot Audettes at longer ranges. Then shoot test groups from the first node to start touching to when it starts to open. Pick from there, I usually end up around the middle.

Then the best thing for your brain to get it, put 10 down with the charge. Put a new target up over that one. Put 10 down with .3 less. New target over that, put 10 down with .3 over... you'll get the idea when you pull the top 2 targets usually and look at the first one... few tenths does NOT matter if you have the right load.

Pull down accurate factory ammo like GMM... same same.

I run accuwedge already..

I either bed em or not. I don't have a bedded one for a hunting gun. In fact I don't get anal on hunting guns, if they get close to MOA I'm happy.

And in all my testing 1/10 of an inch and more round groups if that makes sense, evenly spaced holes so to speak, at 300 yards. Neither the wedge or bedding is going to help you enough for it to be an issue.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by TWR
I think the accuwedge was to add upwards pressure for the bedding compound. Once it sets up you can throw the accuwedge away.

And yes, I totally forgot to ad that. Thanks! I prefer an oring of some kind up front and in the rear to tension it some.. toss after bedding is done.

I DO like the way they feel very solid.

That said when I grab a wobbly one, I know its going to shoot more than good enough...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Its that time again. New/used rifle I picked up today:

Tikka T3 varmint chambered in the infamous 22-250. Has a slow azzed twist rate, but I knew it would like my 50gr v-max load. Every rifle I've tried this load in, has shot exceptionally well. I slapped one of my Nightforce 5-20x56 SHV's on top of the rail with the Nightforce ultralight rings. Pretty good combo right here for shooting vermin and varmints. Threw in a steel recoil lug from a T3x and tampered with the bedding a bit. Trigger adjusted to a nice 2 pound pull, I had to remove a little material form the stock to ensure the barrel was freefloating all the way to the front of the receiver. Pulled the rail off and the screws had not been blue loctited, so I dabbed a little blue loctite on the screws and tightened the rail back on the receiver. Its chidt like that, that you always want to check, because most dumb fu's don't loctite chidt down and then when stuff starts to loosen up, well you know the rest of the story.. Notice I'm not using a Leupold either... Hint...:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Range I usually shoot at, since I'm a paying member. Only goes to about 105 yards though, so target is set at 100 yards, as per usual:

This rifle is sweet, but the azz end is a bit light. My creed CTR's feel better in the bags and don't move around as much, but I made due.

Target pic:

Mofo wants to shoot, as you can see. Should I work up a load for this rifle and not use my other rifle's pet load? Nah.. I've got better things to occupy my time with...

Caliper for reference:

On the second group, the wind shifted to a constant left to right and you can see those light bullets moved over a bit... Damned wind doesn't affect my 6.5 creed that much even at 400 yards... Ha ha...

AVG MOA @ .608

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE shooting Buddy!

Trump Won!
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500
NICE shooting Buddy!

Thanks buddy. Hows your 6.5x55 project going? Ill bet thats going to be a shooting sob.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
NICE shooting Buddy!

Thanks buddy. Hows your 6.5x55 project going? Ill bet thats going to be a shooting sob.

Yessir, just fine, getting to know it a little, installed a Timney at around 1.5lbs, put three rounds in 6.5 inches at 900 yards the other day, it likes the little 147gr ELD's at 2962 fps over 53.5gr H-1000 lit with BR2's in Lapua cases, col 3.140 inch, e.s. 8 fps.

I sure like the build and am more than happy I went standard 6.5x55.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
NICE shooting Buddy!

Yessir, just fine, getting to know it a little, installed a Timney at around 1.5lbs, put three rounds in 6.5 inches at 900 yards the other day, it likes the little 147gr ELD's at 2962 fps over 53.5gr H-1000 lit with BR2's in Lapua cases, col 3.140 inch, e.s. 8 fps.

I sure like the build and am more than happy I went standard 6.5x55.

That is awesome man. I really like my old 6.5x55 m96. Yours is modern and you can run those babies hotter than the creed. That sweedish mauser is so damn accurate too. I think you chose wisely. Damn, that es is low. I remember my 300 WSM load that i shot in competition was 9 fps sd. The only reason i know that is because a guy i shot with wanted to check my loads over a chrono because it shot so well. He was actually a little pissed. It was funny, he asked, "what do you do for a living again?" I said, I'm a welder. He said, i dont know how you do it, "I'm an aeronautical engineer and my loads arent in the single digits, but yours are?" I said, just keep trying buddy grin I don't need a chrono graph to tell me my loads are good... wink

I shoot the mofo, if it doesn't tell me what I want on paper, I could care less what the chrono says..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL! funny stuff, yes the old Swede is Gold, next to no recoil, and, iirc, e.s. check before the last one was only 11 fps, may have something to do with me trickling each charge to exact weight on an old RCBS 10-10 scale then using a drop tube.

I need a damn weather station, loading my gear on the ATV, then coming and checking weather conditions for my area online, then getting set up and guessing the best I can on the crazy winds that rip across, come down, or hit me in the back from that mountain I'm shooting into, and the other one across the road. crazy, it's all great fun though.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
LOL! funny stuff, yes the old Swede is Gold, next to no recoil, and, iirc, e.s. check before the last one was only 11 fps, may have something to do with me trickling each charge to exact weight on an old RCBS 10-10 scale then using a drop tube.

I need a damn weather station, loading my gear on the ATV, then coming and checking weather conditions for my area online, then getting set up and guessing the best I can on the crazy winds that rip across, come down, or hit me in the back from that mountain I'm shooting into, and the other one across the road. crazy, it's all great fun though.

That's awesome man. I'm pissed, they canceled my long range shoot I was going to next weekend. Damned kungflu anyway!! Did you hear about the guy that had coronavirus? He was on a dating website and said his perfect match would be a woman with lime disease...

BSA MAGA
IC B3

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Damn, sorry they cancelled your match, LOL! any dink on a dating website deserves all that anyway. grin when younger/single, I had to be able to walk up to my chickens and give em a good looking over up close ; ]

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, sorry they cancelled your match, LOL! any dink on a dating website deserves all that anyway. grin when younger/single, I had to be able to walk up to my chickens and give em a good looking over up close ; ]

grin

Yeah, I was getting that damn sob Tikka CTR ready as hell!!!! That sumbitch shoots right where I'm looking now. If I miss, it's totally my fault... My second CTR is set up with a 20 moa rail and a little more magnification. Both rifles are shooting good and ready to go. I can use the same load in both rifles and still be pretty damn competitive. My first CTR would be my main rifle, since I shoot it the most. It has no problem hitting 1/2 moa targets at 400 yards. A 1 moa target (at any range, in any wind) will be a cake walk for any of my 6.5 cm rifles...:

In this pic, my new/used Tikka varmint chambered in 22-250 is the rifle on top. Then my CTR1 and then CTR2 (has the NXS 5.5-22x56 and 20 MOA rail for reaching out there)...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I also noticed in your target pic, I may need to get a runout tool too, I walked away from this game many moons ago, fun easing back into it a little.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah, run-out is critical. I make sure my dies are set up for minimal run-out (less than .003" TIR)... Once you are sure your dies are good, then you can go to town.... Some guys say fooey, but the guys that shoot good day in and day out make sure their loads are extremely concentric.... I'm not that damn anal. If I were competing for money or something, I'd focus more on some other things, but since I'm not, I load pretty care free. OCD doesn't get the best of me like it does some guys. It seems like they are always in search of something better. Generally when I've developed a good sub moa load, I'm content... wink ... Now, the load that I just used in my 22-250 yesterday is a very good load. It is known to shoot great in 3 different rifles. Mine and my buddies rifles... I started out a long time ago, developing a load for my buddies rifle and its a shooter. However, yesterday after shooting this Tikka it was putting the first 4 into the same hole. I damned near wanted to get up and take a picture of every few shots, just to show that it was indeed going in the same hole or elongating the hole a little bit with each shot. Looking at my target, you can't tell if its really 10 shots that went in there, but trust me it is... When I shoot comp at my clubs range, I have a spotter and he'll make jokes like, "you might as well just be shooting in the dirt, because I can't tell if it's going in the same hole or what?":

He just brought me over some more brass to prep today:

Now its in the tumbler, even though it was already pretty damn clean...

Stay safe my friend!!!

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sorry to run off, had been up since 3:30 a.m. CST yesterday, I have another Bud like you that is critical on all those steps and then some, he has a lot of cool loading tools, "everything" down to a scalpels edge on weights and measurements, he's pretty hard to be around when he's assembling ammunition, that said, I would not want to have him looking for me in his glass at 2500 yards, he's a real critical dude on loading and shooting, a regular mathematician and wind reader he is.

I load new full length sized Lapua brass on an old Lee classic press, prime on the press too, don't sort weigh bullets or brass, check runout, turn necks, uniform pockets or flash holes, all that may not be necessary only going to 1000 yards with a good accurate rifle and load, the surgical procedures may be necessary if going 'really' long.

I did however underestimate the 147 ELD in the wind, dialed a bit to much right wind on 900 yard group, the little cutter didn't need that much help, I'm not through with the 150gr SMK's either, I like that bullet, I went with a 7.5 twist specifically to shoot those bullets and heavier offerings if need be.

You guys take care and stay healthy up that way to my Friend.

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm pissed, they canceled my long range shoot I was going to next weekend. Damned kungflu anyway!!
What course of fire were you going to shoot?

Did you hear about the guy that had coronavirus? He was on a dating website and said his perfect match would be a woman with lime disease...
Doh!

Happy Easter anyway! smile

Politics is War by Other Means
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Sorry to run off, had been up since 3:30 a.m. CST yesterday, I have another Bud like you that is critical on all those steps and then some, he has a lot of cool loading tools, "everything" down to a scalpels edge on weights and measurements, he's pretty hard to be around when he's assembling ammunition, that said, I would not want to have him looking for me in his glass at 2500 yards, he's a real critical dude on loading and shooting, a regular mathematician and wind reader he is.

I load new full length sized Lapua brass on an old Lee classic press, prime on the press too, don't sort weigh bullets or brass, check runout, turn necks, uniform pockets or flash holes, all that may not be necessary only going to 1000 yards with a good accurate rifle and load, the surgical procedures may be necessary if going 'really' long.

I did however underestimate the 147 ELD in the wind, dialed a bit to much right wind on 900 yard group, the little cutter didn't need that much help, I'm not through with the 150gr SMK's either, I like that bullet, I went with a 7.5 twist specifically to shoot those bullets and heavier offerings if need be.

You guys take care and stay healthy up that way to my Friend.

Sounds good. Yeah, i hear you about sorting everything. The only time i did that was when i was shooting my 300WSM in local centerfire competitions. I was shooting a lot of perfect scores, but just barely. Thats also the reason i bought the concentricity gauge. I think keeping run-out numbers low is what really helped my scores and created tighter groups. I think you will be perfectly fine with that lapua brass. Thats what i run in my swede. That chidt is nice stuff right out of the box. I also hear you about those 6.5 bullets. They cut through the wind like a laser beam. Ive shot paper with my old savage at 450 yards when the winds were howling, here in the gorge, and wondered if i even hit the target. I was amazed to be shooting sub 4" 10 shot groups in those conditions.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I guess I would just ask why bother to buy new Lapooey brass then?

Prolly get the same results with picked up range brass, just saying.

MM

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I'm pissed, they canceled my long range shoot I was going to next weekend. Damned kungflu anyway!!
What course of fire were you going to shoot?

Did you hear about the guy that had coronavirus? He was on a dating website and said his perfect match would be a woman with lime disease...
Doh!

Happy Easter anyway! smile

Thanks Tyrone. Same to you. It was High-power prone. 2 day event. I was looking forward to it too. We were going to be shooting out to 1000 yards..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

I guess I would just ask why bother to buy new Lapooey brass then?

Prolly get the same results with picked up range brass, just saying.

MM

MM, Lapua is pretty good chidt. I've weighed it and checked it out and the damn stuff, in particular, is a waste of time to sort. That has been my experience with Lapua...

BSA MAGA
Page 40 of 46 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 45 46

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10ring1, 1minute, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 55 invisible), 2,274 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,106
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.