Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
I believe that was Mark V, not VX-5.

Sorry, my bad. I'll use my readers from now on.

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Those Mark 5 scopes are higher end. I don't know if they're really any good.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rickshaw
Regarding the op question of tracking in the vx5 hd, there is another thread on this forum about the military using them for sniper issue. Would they do so if they didn't track well?

Seems I've heard of guys buying their own equipment because they didn't find Uncle Sam's provision satisfactory.......who knows

There's a saying "military grade sounds impressive until you've been in the military"

Not saying anything specific about these wares in particular but something being "what the military uses" isn't a reason for me to make a choice to use it in and of itself.

Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Those Mark 5 scopes are higher end. I don't know if they're really any good.

Not really higher end as all MK 5s suffer FFP reticles and are heavier than the equivalent VX 5.

SFP MK 5 are on the way but still bring weight for no gain.

I am willing to pay a bit more to the added zoom range of the VX6 but the reality is that Leupold's VX5 line up is the best value for dollar in high quality optics.

A 3.5-18X50mm VX5 would change my mind.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally I don't see how FFP is a disadvantage, though I use mainly fixed power scopes these days.

IC B2

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Personally I don't see how FFP is a disadvantage, though I use mainly fixed power scopes these days.

It's not a disadvantage at all. Except the reticle is pretty small on lower powers. My SS 3x15 for examp!e. On 3x the reticle is pretty thin. The thing is I NEVER use it on 3x. It stays on 6 x and I go to 12x for long shots over 600 yds. If I needed a lower power scope, I would go buy a fixed 4x and roll with it. A ff p reticle for moderate hunting ranges checks A lot of boxes. Reticle works on all powers, as does twisting the turrets at all powers. That's not the case with a sfp scopes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
On 3x the reticle is pretty thin. The thing is I NEVER use it on 3x.
Originally Posted by atse

It's not a disadvantage at all. Except the reticle is pretty small on lower powers. My SS 3x15 for examp!e. On 3x the reticle is pretty thin. The thing is I NEVER use it on 3x. It stays on 6 x and I go to 12x for long shots over 600 yds. If I needed a lower power scope, I would go buy a fixed 4x and roll with it. A ff p reticle for moderate hunting ranges checks A lot of boxes. Reticle works on all powers, as does twisting the turrets at all powers. That's not the case with a sfp scopes.

And there you have it.

"On 3x the reticle is pretty thin. The thing is I NEVER use it on 3x."

The FFP is [bleep] at the top and bottom of a 5X zoom optic.

Good shooters want to be able to use the entire zoom range for maximum performance.

Low power in close fast situations and in low light.

High power for LR shots.

FFP sucks in hunting optics.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
On 3x the reticle is pretty thin. The thing is I NEVER use it on 3x.

And there you have it.

"On 3x the reticle is pretty thin. The thing is I NEVER use it on 3x."

The FFP is [bleep] at the top and bottom of a 5X zoom optic.

Good shooters want to be able to use the entire zoom range for maximum performance.

Low power in close fast situations and in low light.

High power for LR shots.

FFP sucks in hunting optics.

Ya, being able to dial my sfp scope at only one power instead of at every power is a real plus....

Last edited by atse; 04/18/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ya, being able to dial my spf scope at only one power instead of at every power is a real plus....

LOL.

FFP rocket surgeons posting opinions.

Pro Tip:

Dialing SFP and FFP is exactly the same barring shi++y FFP reticles.

If you want to only use 2X zoom the FFP will do fine.

If you know how to shoot fast and precise then SFP is the proper answer for hunting.

Pretty simple.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The more I play with shooting at distance in the wind the more I see why competition shooters use their reticle for windage instead of dialing....and while math is math, I am not good enough to crunch all those numbers with a SFP scope, especially in a hunting situation. I prefer the sub tensions to be identical throughout the magnification range. I am also learning more and more about ranging critters via the reticle sub tensions, in which it is also nice to have zero variance. I guess if a guy has a calculator or an app on his phone handy, plus time to punch in all the numbers then SFP would be fine. I'm just too simple minded.

I am pretty much totally converted over to 6x42s now though, both leupold and SWFA so that magnification variance is a non-issue for me. One of these days's I'll force my tight ass to pick up a S&B PMII in FFP.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Nice to see Burns returns with his usual jackass attitude. I'll take FFP for dialing every time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This, like usual is getting a long ways from discussions about Leupold tracking issues.....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The more I play with shooting at distance in the wind the more I see why competition shooters use their reticle for windage instead of dialing....and while math is math, I am not good enough to crunch all those numbers with a SFP scope, especially in a hunting situation. I prefer the sub tensions to be identical throughout the magnification range. I am also learning more and more about ranging critters via the reticle sub tensions, in which it is also nice to have zero variance. I guess if a guy has a calculator or an app on his phone handy, plus time to punch in all the numbers then SFP would be fine. I'm just too simple minded.

I am pretty much totally converted over to 6x42s now though, both leupold and SWFA so that magnification variance is a non-issue for me. One of these days's I'll force my tight ass to pick up a S&B PMII in FFP.

Don't try and crunch #s.

If you are holding wind then ensure you dial the zoom ring to max.

It's a very simple thing to do.

The bonus is a usable reticle at low power and in low light.

I am old enough to remember your old user name and how you used to be proud of posting from WY. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Nothing quite like the optics forum.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Nice to see Burns returns with his usual jackass attitude. I'll take FFP for dialing every time.

Makes me smile that you don't understand how dumb this post is.

Last edited by JohnBurns; 04/18/20.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This, like usual is getting a long ways from discussions about Leupold tracking issues.....

That might be a clue as to the reality of "Leupold tracking issues"

Just Sayin wink

John Burns

I have all the sources.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Don't try and crunch #s.

I am old enough to remember your old user name and how you used to be proud of posting from WY. grin

Ha! I don't remember why I took down my location indicator. Bored one day I guess?

I always had so much perceived shake at higher powers that I developed a mental block with shooting above 10X-12X or so. I really should try playing with that factor again to get my confidence with it back up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Don't try and crunch #s.

Ha! I don't remember why I took down my location indicator. Bored one day I guess?

I always had so much perceived shake at higher powers that I developed a mental block with shooting above 10X-12X or so. I really should try playing with that factor again to get my confidence with it back up.

LOL.

It ain't like you struggle to fill the freezer or put a very nice rack on the wall from time to time.

John Burns

I have all the sources.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A

Ya, being able to dial my spf scope at only one power instead of at every power is a real plus....

LOL.

FFP rocket surgeons posting opinions.

Pro Tip:

Dialing SFP and FFP is exactly the same barring shi++y FFP reticles.

If you want to only use 2X zoom the FFP will do fine.

If you know how to shoot fast and precise then SFP is the proper answer for hunting.

Pretty simple.

Cummins cowbow, is that you...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

Soon enough he and cumminscowboy will get everybody's mind right on FFP vs SFP.

Page 13 of 19 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

107 members (AussieGunWriter, B52RadarNav, 44mc, 10Glocks, 35, 12 invisible), 1,385 guests, and 948 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,251
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.