Hop To
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by steve4102
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by Crockettnj
[ Remember that for each officer in training another officer has to cover their beat.

$ and coverage?

No it doesnt.

I used to train a lot and I am not an LEO.

I read a lot, and I am not a librarian.

I got better at parallel parking, and I am not a cab driver.

I can make a wicked good moscow mule, and I am not a bartender.

I am getting better at the guitar and I am not a professional musician.

Spoken like someone out of touch with the realities of managing a police force.

Where would you have an officer practice hand to hand combat alone? Where should an officer practice high speed driving alone? Where should an officer practice tactical stops alone? Where should an officer practice deescalation alone. In my area I don't have a place where I can fire a practical pistol course involving moving and shooting. I'd venture a guess that most officers don't. That's just scratching the surface of the arenas in which I see officers roundly criticized on forums. There's so much more.

If you think you have the formula for cost effective comprehensive officer training, by all means start a consulting firm, because it is a problem that has confounded enforcement agencies since the beginning of time.

Why can't the officers use the training facilities provided for them on their own time?

Were you payed by others to perfect your choice of occupation?

Those officers might have life to live on their own time even if a range is available.

GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nothing new here! I’ve read of such the last 60 years! Move on folks!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by UPhiker
It's really no different than being out of shape. I'm not sayin you have to be in A+ shape, but look how many overweight cops you see. Don't they realize that they might have to chase or wrestle with a criminal? They might end up in 2nd place and then we'll have another dead cop.

You should read public comments about the muscled up cops. They are criticized too.

The heavy cops are criticized for being heavy.

The skinny cops are told they should muscle up.

The muscular cops are called roid ragers, compensators etc.

Can you post a picture of an officer you consider to be the ideal officer build?

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U

Those officers might have life to live on their own time even if a range is available.
You're missing the point. If a "civilian" with his own full time job and everyday life responsibilities can find the time and the money to practice shooting on their own, why shouldn't a cop, whose life (or others) may depend on it, be able to?

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Just because you are a police officer doesn’t automatically make you a good shot.

Indeed.

Have any of you shot with LEO and your local range. Even in a non-stressed range environment, not great, in fact often times scary.

Oh, and the, "It cost money to train these officers, money we don't have" - "We can't afford to go practice shooting on our own dime" it all bull schit.

If you are going to carry a firearm, learn how to use it and use it well, otherwise don't carry one.

No, it is not BS. Range days take quite a bit to put together in terms of manhours, cost and logistics. And that's certainly not the only discipline officers need continuing education/training in. Arguably not even the most important. We expect cops to be really good at a lot of very different things. To get really good takes a LOT of training time. Training takes time and it takes money. Remember that for each officer in training another officer has to cover their beat.

You are an attorney, yes?
Did you get paid by others to perfect your choice of occupation?

No I am not an attorney.

OK.

Did you get payed by others to perfect your choice of occupation?

I am retired Coast Guard. I am a human. Nobody has any right to expect perfection out of me. They have every right to expect excellence, and I strived to deliver that. Our organization was intensely focused on training and our operational tempo allowed for it. Even with that, as a multi-mission agency, we couldn't deliver excellence in every conceivable arena with every member of our organization.

If you enter in to the discussion with the understanding of the pool of employees you have, then go from there, it helps. I live in NOLA. What kind of pool of candidates do you think are standing in line to do police work here for $45,000 per year.

Ah, so the reason cops can't shoot is because they are, flawed from the get go, not the cream of the crop and cannot be trained, Therefor the solution is to not waist money trying to train those that are not able to be trained. Just send them out in the field and hope for the best.

I guess you could say that they killed two birds with one stone, Kept the costs down by not training those that cannot be trained and kept the costs down by not paying a livable wadge in the first place.

Got it thanks.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You're missing the point. If a "civilian" with his own full time job and everyday life responsibilities can find the time and the money to practice shooting on their own, why shouldn't a cop, whose life (or others) may depend on it, be able to?

He explained that in his post above. Cops are not on the top tear of the smart pole and most cannot be trained anyway.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
It's really no different than being out of shape. I'm not sayin you have to be in A+ shape, but look how many overweight cops you see. Don't they realize that they might have to chase or wrestle with a criminal? They might end up in 2nd place and then we'll have another dead cop.

You should read public comments about the muscled up cops. They are criticized too.

Can you post a picture of an officer you consider to be the ideal officer build?

Who said anything about being "muscled up"? I was commenting on weight/height proportionate. Also, the complaint with muscled up cops isn't their physique but their actions. Some are obviously using 'roids and their attitude shows that.
PS What do you do for a living since you're taking this awfully personal?

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/25/20.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
First off, thanks for your service Paul and Semper Fi. You've made a lot of realistic observations that are spot on and especially the ones on training taking officers away from their beats. When officers aren't handling calls, most people expect them to be patrolling their assigned beats and making sure the criminals know any given area has cops in it. A good cop can catch a lot of stuff before it blows up into something worse and make a given area that much safer.

Steve4102 raised some valid points about training. Some departments have ranges where cops can train on their own time. A lot of departments aren't that lucky. That doesn't mean an officer can't find another non-range location to shoot but such location won't have all of the range equipment available. One can never shoot or practice too much. Several officers can even get together and practice but it's not the same as training. When a police department conducts training, they establish tactics, procedures, etc. that all officers on the department are made aware of. For instance, you will likely have established some set of hand signals if you train with other officers off duty but the rest of the department won't know what those hand signals mean. Your group of officers will know what each officer in a team of 2 or more is supposed to do when handling a tactical situation but other officers in the department won't. None of this means you can't practice and train on your own and become more proficient but it makes a huge difference if the whole department is on the same page because the department has established tactics, communications, etc. that you can practice further in small groups.

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Back in the day, I took pistol training seriously then finished first in my class with a perfect score and after that went to the department range about twice a month and shot at our indoor range a couple of times a week. I knew that Model 19 was all there was between me and a headstone if it came to a shooting. I only fired one round on duty in 3 years, thankfully. Most cops have trouble hitting a bull in the butt with a banjo under stress, which is understandable...

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Keystone cops cartoon

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J

What you fail to realize is law enforcement is just like every profession. There is a bell curve, some are exceptional some are terrible and most are right in the middle. And that can be an overall curve, or you can even break it down to the different things police are required to do. (Like shooting, driving, report writing, interviews, etc).

I'm sure you're the best at what you do....or did 30yrs ago....boomer.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 04/25/20.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by WAM
Back in the day, I took pistol training seriously then finished first in my class with a perfect score and after that went to the department range about twice a month and shot at our indoor range a couple of times a week. I knew that Model 19 was all there was between me and a headstone if it came to a shooting. I only fired one round on duty in 3 years, thankfully. Most cops have trouble hitting a bull in the butt with a banjo under stress, which is understandable...

Overachiever! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I get that point. I also get reality. Reality is that few people I know in any profession work in their own time to get better at their profession. A cop with a wife that works and kids may not have much of a life at all at home. Let me again point to the pool of candidates. How many of those do you think are capable of mastery of every aspect of their job and can achieve that mastery independently. Frankly, I am not very good at independent learning. I do much better in a classroom or master/apprentice relationship.

We are focused largely on the gun here. In terms of legal liability, what would you suspect the largest legal liabilities are for enforcement agencies? When you start parsing that out you can better understand the complexities of comprehensive training and why self-training is normally not practicable.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
And if they would've killed him you'd be bitchin that the guy only had a pellet gun

Pellet gun or not, you don't brandish any gun around cops or in public. It is pretty difficult to differentiate between a pellet gun and a real gun in confusing and rapidly changing situations. Unfortunately, the cops missed (and given the post-traumatic disorders that might ensue, that might be a favorable thing).

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Just because you are a police officer doesn’t automatically make you a good shot.

Indeed.

Have any of you shot with LEO and your local range. Even in a non-stressed range environment, not great, in fact often times scary.

Oh, and the, "It cost money to train these officers, money we don't have" - "We can't afford to go practice shooting on our own dime" it all bull schit.

If you are going to carry a firearm, learn how to use it and use it well, otherwise don't carry one.

No, it is not BS. Range days take quite a bit to put together in terms of manhours, cost and logistics. And that's certainly not the only discipline officers need continuing education/training in. Arguably not even the most important. We expect cops to be really good at a lot of very different things. To get really good takes a LOT of training time. Training takes time and it takes money. Remember that for each officer in training another officer has to cover their beat.

You are an attorney, yes?
Did you get paid by others to perfect your choice of occupation?

No I am not an attorney.

OK.

Did you get payed by others to perfect your choice of occupation?

I am retired Coast Guard. I am a human. Nobody has any right to expect perfection out of me. They have every right to expect excellence, and I strived to deliver that. Our organization was intensely focused on training and our operational tempo allowed for it. Even with that, as a multi-mission agency, we couldn't deliver excellence in every conceivable arena with every member of our organization.

If you enter in to the discussion with the understanding of the pool of employees you have, then go from there, it helps. I live in NOLA. What kind of pool of candidates do you think are standing in line to do police work here for $45,000 per year.

Ah, so the reason cops can't shoot is because they are, flawed from the get go, not the cream of the crop and cannot be trained, Therefor the solution is to not waist money trying to train those that are not able to be trained. Just send them out in the field and hope for the best.

I guess you could say that they killed two birds with one stone, Kept the costs down by not training those that cannot be trained and kept the costs down by not paying a livable wadge in the first place.

Got it thanks.

A lot of creative reading went into that post. Not so much technical writing. Interestingly enough, mastery of the written English language is another discipline in which an officer needs to excel.
It is readily apparent you aren't interested in thoughtful exploration of the topic. To that end I'll bail on you with the encouragement that if you have it all figured out, you really need to get into consulting. You'll make millions.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Who said anything about being "muscled up"? I was commenting on weight/height proportionate. Also, the complaint with muscled up cops isn't their physique but their actions. Some are obviously using 'roids and their attitude shows that.
PS What do you do for a living since you're taking this awfully personal?

I am not taking this personally at all. My point was that whatever a cop's build is, people will criticize it. Just another place in which a cop can't win in the eyes of the public.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I think you'll find that the kind of situation that played out here is one of the more common deadly force situations officers find themselves in. Using deadly force immediately upon exiting the vehicle and with the vehicle in close proximity. Yet none of the departments I worked with or trained with had realistic range scenarios to replicate the situation. I know range days cost time and money, and departments have limited budgets, but this very situation needs more training focus. I should say unless things have changed in the past 15 years.

Paul, I would have to agree with you. I research every police / shooter(s) deadly force engagement in my area that I can dig up information on, and believe this to be very much the case.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S

LOL, you are the one that said the Jury Pool of LEO is less than average due to the yearly salary offered.

You are the one that said, NOLA can't get qualified LEO due to yearly salary.

You are the one that made this excuse for their inability to "perfect" their occupation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Paul,
You don't strike me as the type to intentionally get under someone's skin..
Actually you generally seem to choose your words and actions to be very civil...

Syeve
All one had to do is listen to the breathing of the guy with the camera after, at most a minute and a half, probably less, of "encounter" to know he was out of his element with a sky high adrenaline level..

Not that a body can gives any sort of decent sight picture, but whether intentional or not it seem like"fire for effect" and maybe he will drop it...
Dumping half a second magazine seems tactically unwise..potentially fatal..
I agree a shotgun would have been more effective and thought most marked vehicles had a locking rack on the passenger side of the radio equipment...
They were on their heels when they went in...

-OMotS

"If memory serves fails me..."
Quote: ( unnamed) "been prtty deep in the cooler todaay "

Television and radio are most effective when people question little and think even less.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by local_dirt
I think you'll find that the kind of situation that played out here is one of the more common deadly force situations officers find themselves in. Using deadly force immediately upon exiting the vehicle and with the vehicle in close proximity. Yet none of the departments I worked with or trained with had realistic range scenarios to replicate the situation. I know range days cost time and money, and departments have limited budgets, but this very situation needs more training focus. I should say unless things have changed in the past 15 years.

Paul, I would have to agree with you. I research every police / shooter(s) deadly force engagement in my area that I can dig up information on, and believe this to be very much the case.

Just curious if you do the research professionally or for personal reasons.

As a follow up, how many times did officers drive in closer than they would if they had to do it all over again? I ask that because in this case it appeared they could see the subject from a distance but closed in more than I would have. They did do a good job of using the vehicle for cover. It's interesting how often they don't.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (222Sako, 1_deuce, 2500HD, 257 mag, 1minute, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,566 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,561
Posts18,473,147
Members73,940
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.