Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
It is spring and the wild hairs are growing out my ass again... wink Seriously, looking to get a small dual sport motorcycle just to tour the country side and know there are a lot of dirt bikers here so looking for experience and experienced opinions but will accept snide remarks, whatever.

Main requirements are:
- Total noob at any kind of off road riding so it has to be easy to ride, emphasis on easy.
- Getting older so don't need or want to go fast or long distances off road and don't want to go on long camping trips, just putt putt at 10-25 mph on logging roads and trails for a few hours. I quit being immortal 15 years ago so not gonna do anything crazy.
- I'm only 5' 9" so a lower seat height is better.

Want to emphasize fun, easy off road riding but you have to get there first which means at least some time on 60-65 mph highways, maybe 10-15 miles at a time tops. Most paved roads would be 45-55 mph.

Have narrowed the choices down to a Yamaha TW200 or XT250 and kind of torn between the two.

Rode a TW200 today and liked it. Low seat at 31.1", single cylinder 4 stroke with very low gearing so good low end torque and fairly light at 278 lbs., it has those fat tires which apparently make it very easy to ride. Suspension travel is not great at 6.3 and 5.9" front/rear. Biggest drawback is that it is really underpowered for the highway. Reviews say 75 mph top end but you're screaming it at that speed, most folks say 60 mph tops.

Yamaha XT250 - need to ride this tomorrow, only sat on one today. A bit higher seat and heavier at 31.9" and 291 pounds. Another single 4 stroke with low gearing so good low end torque. More sophisticated with EFI, disc brakes front and back and bit more highway capable plus it has longer suspension with 8.9/7.1" travel front/rear. Gearing still keeps it from being a highway motorcycle but a few more horses would let it go 60-65 for 10-15 miles without trouble.

TW200 - carburetor instead of EFI, drum rear brake, old school tech, lightest and supposedly easiest to ride. Big cult following since it's been around since 1987. Biggest drawback is pavement speed.

XT250 - just a bit "more" of everything but still rated a good beginner or old guy takin' it easy bike. Highway performance still isn't great but incrementally better.

So - thoughts on the overall criteria and/or these bikes in particular?

TW200 with the fat tires - some reviews call it a cross between a motorcycle and ATV.

[Linked Image from cdp.azureedge.net]

XT250

[Linked Image from cdp.azureedge.net]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I just sold my DRZ 350 to a buddy. Looking at finding tw 200 and get a geared down rear sprocket if I find one. For back country exploring and hunting.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I like my 200.

First gear so low you can get off and walk next to it.

Top gear is SLOW!

Too slow.

250 probably a better choice.

I am MAGA.
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I say the 250 might be the better choice becuase 10 to 15 miles on pavement with my 200 would be unfathomable.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
One thing about the 200 is that carburetor lets you push start it. Neither of them have a kick start which probably isn't that big of a deal these days but I like the idea of not having to rely 100% on an electric starter where you might be way off the beaten path.

Really torn between the two - I like the 200 overall since it seems more laid back and suited for what I need, but that highway performance might be a deal breaker.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
My 200 has a kick start.

Its pretty old though.

I think the 200 would be the better trail and messing around bike......but gawd almighty it would suck getting it to the messing around area.

Thankfully I live in messing around area.

If I need to get somewhere else I take my 650L.

You had better ride that other one to make sure.

Maybe 55 is plenty for you.

We have to be able to at least go 70 here.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have you looked at Honda? CRF250l is small, the xr650l is what I would buy, but it may be too big for what you want to do. The crf450l probably ticks all the boxes except it is kind of pricey. I would really like to come across an old XR650r in street legal trim...

Last edited by K1500; 05/15/20.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a tw 200 and xt225. I think the xt is more user friendly at speed.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
If you don't need new, look at a TTR250 Yamaha. 30# lighter than a tw200.
I sold one last fall, good bike.
I have a crf230f honda now. 30#+ lighter than a tw200. Lower seat than the TTR250.
A few mods, jetting, exhaust, forks and rear shock. Great for a late 60 year old on single track (me).

I can dog the shi it out of my buddies (in my age group), in single track, on their 450's.

Easy to plate in Idaho, although I run around town with an restricted plate and no lights.
I had another crf230f that I plated w/light,etc.
I also plated the above TTR250, w/lights, etc.

Just a couple of options................

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Jim, as an old dirt biker, 30 years ago, I think you are looking for a Honda XR 200R. But to get one you will have to hit the used market. Check ATV trader.

In the current new market, the closest I see is the Honda CRF250F at $5500. Fuel injection, I would have loved back in the day. Electric start, I would have hated back in my riding days. I tossed the battery, first thing on my XL 350. But today, I would probably appreciate the electric start. I always liked the low end power and torque of the 350 cc bikes. They pulled like a tractor from 800 RPM and did not care if you kept them in the "power band". But the new bikes with computer controls and fuel injection are a whole different animal. You are going to have to ride a couple and see what you like.

Fat tire bikes are kind of a specialty item. They have been around since the early 80s. They are primarily useful for slow and technical terrain.

Are you looking for lights and turn signals? That will make a big difference in your selection. The Idaho restricted use license plate will allow you to legally ride on any BLM or USFS road in Idaho which is open to travel. It also allows travel on city streets, county roads, and state hiways within a short distance of a city limits.

For instance you could legally ride your bike from Emmett out to Little Gem Cycle Park via Hiway 21. But you could not ride it on over to Boise. You could ride to New Plymouth by staying on the county roads.

But do not try any of this in Oregon. I have several friends at work who have been ticketed for riding their ATVs around Unity, or on the gravel road on the west side of Brownlee Reservoir.

My buddy who trades bikes, ATVs, and jetskis occasionally really likes to deal with Carl's Cycle Sales. They handle all the major brands. He will drive right past Canyon Honda to get to Carl's.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I’ve got an XT225, the predecessor to the XT250, and two of my friends have 2019 xt250s. They’re great little bikes. I’m on the big side for the XT and it is known for a starter bike or a “girls bike.” It has been a great bike to learn on and capable in the woods. There are a few days I long for more power as it will go 75 mph but it doesn’t sound happy about it and I wouldn’t want to try to cruise at much over 55. I just take the backroads and avoid the highway.

Personally if there is much road travel planned I would prefer the XT over the TW. If I were planning more highway time I might look for more cc’s

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Of the two you posted, the XT250.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
If you just have to have a new bike, get the 250. I would look for a used early 1980’s XT 250, the bike is still a mini shock, but the seat will be lower than that new bike. Drop 2 teeth on the front sprocket and you will be surprised at what you can do with that bike.

Originally Posted by RJY66

I was thinking the other day how much I used to hate Bill Clinton. He was freaking George Washington compared to what they are now.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
With your use of the word touring and highway, I'd say that puts you on the XT. The TW even with a sprocket change will complain at any highway speed. If it were short stints on back country highways, the TW would be up to the task.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For what you are wanting to do I'd be looking at the Honda 250L.

There's some good info here.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...need-2020-ktm-390-adventure#Post14880371

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do the TTRs have lights?

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Howdy Jim,
Let me add a vote for the TW200. I rode mine to work (5 miles of paved road) when the weather was nice and up and down some nasty, washed-out forest roads on weekends. Some of the locals here in SE AZ see the TW as the successor to the old "Trials" bikes, but it feels to me that it's not quite as good as they were at climbing over boulders and logs. Took it up in the Grahams for Coues two or three times. Getting there with a pack and a rifle was a hassle.
Previous posters are correct--the TW is screaming like a banshee at 65 mph.
Recall getting 70-75 mpg, if that matters. Low maintenance and dependable.
Best,
Mike

Calvin Coolidge had a very low post count too.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
What about a G 310 GS?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hookeye
What about a G 310 GS?

This guy wanna get all fancy pants!

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (10Glocks, 35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Bclark, 6 invisible), 1,139 guests, and 778 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,687
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.