Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hookeye
What about a G 310 GS?

Compare this to the 390 Duke.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
By trails,what do you really mean? I share your stature and low is a hard find. Not a thing wrong with that XT250 I'd think, other than no 6th gear. An Idaho company Seat Concepts can likely help you with a cushy seat if ever needed.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by high_country_
I have a tw 200 and xt225. I think the xt is more user friendly at speed.

I've had both of these years ago and would choose the XT225 (now XT250). The TW is OK but I think you'll outgrow it pretty quickly. See if you can go back and ride the TW after testing the XT.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Wow, I think I'm sold on the XT250. That's the one Jim. Some 4" platform shoes would open up a bunch of possibilities for us though.

--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
https://www.amazon.com/Primus-Gasol...KM0UT4Y/ref=psdc_404763011_t2_B01AGFJ2CA
Just in case you go further than planned. First trip out on mt KLR250 with small tank I ran out....
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

--- Kid Rock 2022

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Wow, I think I'm sold on the XT250. That's the one Jim. Some 4" platform shoes would open up a bunch of possibilities for us though.

It would be a great bike.

I am MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The XT 250 looks to hold around a gallon more fuel than the TW 200.

Life is good live it while you can.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

--- Kid Rock 2022

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by KFWA
do the TTRs have lights?

The TTR250 has headlight and tail light, need to add brake light and high beam + horn.
Very easy to do.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Don't forget about the Suzuki VanVan. Similar to the TW200 except electronic fuel injection.

If your going to spend more time on the trails and mud, get the 200
If you will be on the road more, get the 250.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's a good price for a motorcycle with 333 miles. Not sure what the postage would be to ship it from South Dakota. wink

Thanks for the replies and for the Idaho guys maybe I should be more specific. What I'm looking for is 95% off road and only riding on whatever paved highway is necessary to get to the off road areas, which means the bike has to be street legal. Even though the paved road driving is minimal it would necessarily involve some 65 mph roads and I have to take that into account.

25 years ago I lived along Highway 95 in Fruitland and had a light and nimble Yamaha 250 ATV, 2WD only but it was all that was needed to tool around the National forest roads and old overgrown logging roads enjoying the views. But I also had a Ford F150 to carry it to the forests.

Now I live in SE Boise and drive a 17 year old Honda CRV. The desert south and SE of Boise is accessible via roads with a speed limit of 50-55, top end but doable for the TW200. But that's flat and frankly not all that pretty. The really pretty country is up Idaho 21 and that's a 60 mph road for 15 miles or more with stretches of 55 mph straight road as you near Idaho City. Make that 65 and 60 at least or expect to have a long line of irritated drivers with large pick up trucks breathing down your neck.

Going back to the dealership this afternoon to ride the XT250. That little TW200 is the sentimental favorite since it seems perfectly suited to the kind of slow and easy riding I'd expect and matches my beginner off road riding level but the XT250 is rated as a good beginner bike as well and could handle those short stretches of high speed and that might be the deciding factor.

Wish this was like deciding between two guns where I could afford to just buy both... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

I've had both of these years ago and would choose the XT225 (now XT250). The TW is OK but I think you'll outgrow it pretty quickly. See if you can go back and ride the TW after testing the XT.

What does 'outgrow the bike mean' ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Road dirt bikes in Idaho for 33 years. DON"T get the TW, had one for a short time. The suspension doesn't work for Idaho trails, you'll get bounced off the trail, they have a bouncy ride. Was my least favorite of all my bikes.

No such thing as a do it all trail bike so have a serious talk with yourself as to what exactly you are thinking to do and then choose. Going by yourself into Idaho's back country on a motorcycle comes with risks. I've lost my bike off the trail where it took serious skill and know how to get it back up onto the trail. A 4 wheeler is a better choice for newbies. Trail bikes get trailered to the trailhead so don't be thinking a dual purpose for trails. My view of dual purpose is they go on both paved and dirt roads. Go light and small for trails.

I tried the dual purpose adventure bike TWICE! They are far too heavy for actual trail riding. I find it more fun driving my pickup on dirt roads than riding a bike.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Outgrow a bike. Wish you could go faster further and better than it's capable of as your skills and desires increase.

--- Kid Rock 2022

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I went through this a few years back. I like the TWs but I wouldn’t want to take one on a highway. The XTs are okay and have a better suspension that the TW but are not real powerful. Personally, I messed around on a DR200 for about a year before I decided on what I wanted (it was fun but small and underpowered for me). I ended up buying a DRZ400. There are faster and lighter bikes but it is a good compromise. I think you should look at it. It is carburated so easy to bump start it if necessary. It has good torque. It’s very reliable too.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
.............................What I'm looking for is 95% off road and only riding on whatever paved highway is necessary to get to the off road areas, which means the bike has to be street legal. ..................... wink

For off road, single track, plate a dirt bike.............. Forest Service roads, about anything will work.

If you lived closer, I have different bikes you could try.............

Beta 300 Xtrainer for the win..........................

Last edited by molly; 05/16/20.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Theeck
I went through this a few years back. I like the TWs but I wouldn’t want to take one on a highway. The XTs are okay and have a better suspension that the TW but are not real powerful. Personally, I messed around on a DR200 for about a year before I decided on what I wanted (it was fun but small and underpowered for me). I ended up buying a DRZ400. There are faster and lighter bikes but it is a good compromise. I think you should look at it. It is carburated so easy to bump start it if necessary. It has good torque. It’s very reliable too.

How tall are you to recommend the DRZ? LOL it's 36.8" seat height! One of the tallest dual sports eva.... (-:

--- Kid Rock 2022

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by SockPuppet

What does 'outgrow the bike mean' ?

Outgrow the bike's capabilities. The TW is a fine little bike for what it is, but the fat rear tire tends to 'float' on hard-pack and you run out of suspension fairly quickly from what I remember.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Shipping $400ish. Do they really have it and etc etc etc though....

--- Kid Rock 2022

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
TW200 ...
Going to get one myself .
People around here can't understand what riding slow , quiet , economically is about . It's a bike for exploring or hunting/camping/fishing off of .
Local acquaintances tell me to ''get a 650 at least'' i ask why? - because that 200 will be too slow! Too slow for what ? quietly riding - scouting for a place to hunt- predator call/camp/fish/sight-see ?
I tell them i have a honda cr500r/yamaha R1/Kaw. kdx 250 2cycle for fast going - got 'fast' covered .
Most folks seem to think everybody is going to go out racing up and down dirtroads/trails - hauling butt flying around turns , splashing through creeks , chewing the bottom out of deep mud holes etc. . I don't plan on ever doing anyof that on a tw200 - ever .

Maybe a hitch-hauler Jim ?

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 2 of 13 1 2 3 4 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 257robertsimp, 99Ozarks, 7mm_Loco, 7 invisible), 1,164 guests, and 746 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,685
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.