Hop To
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by lapua6547
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I will just leave this here. I went down and talked to the owner of the cow dogs the next day. The one I smacked had hardly even a knot on his head. His owner had not even noticed any damage.

If I was forced to choose a blunt instrument to thwart dog attacks, it would be about four feet of 1 1/4 inch schedule 40 galvanized pipe with a pipe cap on each end and five pounds of lead poured into it.

Apparently your striking ability is substandard.

I'll leave that here..

Yep, that is why the 2 1/2 inch tree limb broke over the dog's head. But it was just a cottonwood limb. Not like it was oak or hickory.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I like pit bulls and have had a number of them through the years. My last one was Ruby, and I had to put her down a few months ago at 14 years old. She saved my wife's life when my last Catahoula turned on her for some unknown reason. We've had 3 Catahoula Leopard dogs that I put down because they got to aggressive and we couldn't control them, I won't give that breed any more chances. No more big dogs for us were planning on traveling and been thinking about a Jack Russell or some other kind of ankle biter.

Dang! I hate to hear that about your Catahoulas. We have one now that is a great family dog.

They are great dogs but get really possessive with age. Why Gumbo turned on my wife is anyone's guess, she's an animal lover and has been attacked 3 different times by dogs. All 3 of our Catahoulas would bite if you got out of your vehicle in our yard, sometimes, no growling or barking just bite the heck out of someone. It got to the point where you had to chain them if someone drove into the yard because you never knew what was going to happen.

Our Catahoula is reserved with strangers, but will warm up in a bit. She really doesn’t like to be pet/handled by anyone. I like to aggravate her a bit, by petting and messing with her. She knows that I am just teasing her. She is the most playful dog that I have ever seen. She constantly wants to either play tug of war, fetch, or play fight. I have pushed her temperment quite a bit, yet she won’t bite. She loves us all, and we are HER family. With the exception of one other dog (another female), she’s is great with other dogs too. It would break our hearts if she ever developed a temperament problem.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Fubarski.... I guess this reveals your intelligence level or lack thereof.

It always does.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Hastings
Did the pit bull that was attacked with escrima sticks die from his injuries? The injuries inflicted by the sticks?

Fractured scull.

What kind of wood are they made of and what are the dimensions lapua6547?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If I was forced to choose a blunt instrument to thwart dog attacks, it would be about four feet of 1 1/4 inch schedule 40 galvanized pipe with a pipe cap on each end and five pounds of lead poured into it.

Used to be when I walked the dogs I would carry a 40lb bag of deer corn in a backpack and a six foot iron pipe with an end cap screwed on at each end, weighed about nine pounds. I was into reenacting and carried it to mimic the feel of a longrifle.

I kinda sucked for anything else, too heavy and clumsy to make a useful walking stick, and a bit slow and clumsy on account of its weight when swung or jabbed like potential weapon.

Skip the lead in that 4ft billy club and try it as-is first.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I remember many years ago, a friend was on the City Council of a nearby town. They had a trustee in from the local prison, a convicted burglar. He spoke at length from his personal experience on how to prevent burglaries.

One councilman spoke up and stated that no burglar was going to bother his house because he had a big guard dog. The burglar smiled slightly and responded that a big dog does not bother him.He wraps a jacket around his left arm and carries a two foot steel rod in his right hand. Doggie gets to chew on the jacket just long enough for a good swing with the right hand. No more doggy!

He told the council, the ones they really hated were the little yappy ankle biters that would hide out of reach under the bed and raise holy hell.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I used to think that when I swam in the lake, if I wore socks, the creature beneath would get them socks instead of me. Countermeasures against the creature from the black lagoon.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
...He told the council, the ones they really hated were the little yappy ankle biters that would hide out of reach under the bed and raise holy hell.

They don't like the attention that a barking dog brings. Same as alarms - better to clear out when an alarm goes off.

Originally Posted by mauserand9mm
Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Plus not long ago, a lot of Jack Russels got bred down to crap after the show Frasier made them popular.

I've seen a few great JRTs in recent years. Seen a lot more crappy ones.

Got to know the bloodline and the breeder.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Anyone has experience or first hand knowledge if OC spray will stop a Pit before it latches on to another dog?

Wife carries spray just for this reason...I got her a Gunfighters Inc chest holster for her Glock 17 so she could defend herself and our mutt from an attack.

She’s a total chic insert (dumb) when she says it’s easier to grab OC spray and hit the trails than putting on her holster.

Done fighting with her about it...If I’m walking the dog alone or with the wife, I’m carrying a Glock 20 in the same holster - no spray.

😎

Beaver,

I have no first hand experience with OC and canines. But, several years ago I read an interesting research paper that was done on the effectiveness of pepper spray on canines, and from what I remember it was mostly effective. However, on a certain percentage of dogs, it caused even higher levels of aggression. If I recall correctly, the study claimed that pit bulls were more likely to go into a rage when sprayed than other breeds.

I'd imagine that research paper is still floating around, if you were inclined to search for it.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 05/25/20.
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Why do people try to run, or pull away during a dog attack? Shove a fist down the dog's throat, grab the base of its tongue, and choke it to death. Yes, your arm might get chewed up, but a dog that can't breathe won't bite for long. Getting its tongue ripped out by the roots has a tendency to take the fight out of a dog, also, no matter how big or powerful it happens to be.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Why do people try to run, or pull away during a dog attack? Shove a fist down the dog's throat, grab the base of its tongue, and choke it to death. Yes, your arm might get chewed up, but a dog that can't breathe won't bite for long. Getting its tongue ripped out by the roots has a tendency to take the fight out of a dog, also, no matter how big or powerful it happens to be.
Jerry

Lmao you ever seen a real dog fight or attack?

My boys aren’t human aggressive at all but I’m fairly confident you couldn’t rip their tongues out if you were holding a pair of channel locks.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Used to be a meter reader that sprayed my Dalmatians, Dept electricity. Not sure what it was but after that I had my meter installed out on the highway. A “CT Disconnect meter they call it

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems a lot of the 20ish year old tarts I know have a thing for pit bulls.

Cute young girl, big dumbazz dog. Dress the fugger up and post pics on Instagram. Not surprisingly, they make other poor life decisions as well. Lol.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by stxhunter
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Originally Posted by reivertom
I'll never own a dog I can't whip in a fight.

Now, or 30 years ago? grin

30 years ago, I'd have been willing to take on any dog that walks with my bare hands............

Uhhh, yeah.

If you say so,
Grins

Toot how do you think i took care of mine when he attacked, all i had was my hands.

lol oh si ol' Petecito got took care of but good. Pair of rubbery chew toys in spicy gringo flavor with iron gravy centers. This result--48 sutures and metallic hardware additions vs a sore neck-- is a total TX win!

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Because most people become overcome with fear, and those not scared to near death are enraged. Few can remain rational in such circumstances.

My closest experience was an enraged 300 lb sow pig which came over the fence while I was castrating her babies. She hit me in the chest and knocked me straight down onto my back. There I was with 300 lb of pig straddling me trying to eat my face and throat.

I very consciously shoved my left arm in her mouth to protect my face. I was wearing a heavy down coat, which got torn to shreds. But I only suffered a few minor scratches before one of the baby pigs came running past and momma pig decided she was more interested in chasing down the baby than in eating me.

Also, Roger can tell us about the damaged caused by letting a big dog get even a bit of your hand in his mouth. It is hard to get a good grip on anything when the bones in your fingers have been crushed to smithereens.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Because most people become overcome with fear, and those not scared to near death are enraged. Few can remain rational in such circumstances.

My closest experience was an enraged 300 lb sow pig which came over the fence while I was castrating her babies. She hit me in the chest and knocked me straight down onto my back. There I was with 300 lb of pig straddling me trying to eat my face and throat.

I very consciously shoved my left arm in her mouth to protect my face. I was wearing a heavy down coat, which got torn to shreds. But I only suffered a few minor scratches before one of the baby pigs came running past and momma pig decided she was more interested in chasing down the baby than in eating me.

Also, Roger can tell us about the damaged caused by letting a big dog get even a bit of your hand in his mouth. It is hard to get a good grip on anything when the bones in your fingers have been crushed to smithereens.

Quick summary: pit turned on his owner, mangled his paws, broke off attack and next day was hauled away by CC animal control and given the pink fluid ticket to the happy barrio in the sky. Gotta' love a sweet ending...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

This is what college was like for me too.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by widrahthaar
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

Lmao you ever seen a real dog fight or attack?

My boys aren’t human aggressive at all but I’m fairly confident you couldn’t rip their tongues out if you were holding a pair of channel locks.

it worked for me qs far as keeping from getting my throat your not pulling its tongue out but you have the leverage to pin the dog.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kingston

This is what college was like for me too.

Looked better with alcohol?

Originally Posted by Raspy
Whatever you said...everyone knows you are a lying jerk.

That's a bold assertion. Point out where you think I lied.

Well?
Page 14 of 17 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 22250rem, 10ring1, 66 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,029
Posts18,481,863
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.