Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been reloading for close to 40 yrs. and loading for numerous 223’s over the years. But none were semi-autos or AR’s. Weelll, I just got an AR. I understand that the basics are the same, but my question concerns crimping. I’ve talked to a couple of folks who reload for AR’s......one says he never crimps but maintains a tight bullet to neck fit. The other uses bullets that allow him to roll crimp into the cannelure. I thought maybe some of you guys might have some insite as to how I should approach crimping. Roll crimp, taper crimp, or no crimp? I also bought a few PMags which all seem to measure 2.25 inside max so how short is my max OAL to feed well in plastic magazines? Thanks in advance for your help.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No crimp.
2.25, or 2.255 oal. If you use metal ASC mags you can go to 2.3"

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lastround
I’ve been reloading for close to 40 yrs. and loading for numerous 223’s over the years. But none were semi-autos or AR’s. Weelll, I just got an AR. I understand that the basics are the same, but my question concerns crimping. I’ve talked to a couple of folks who reload for AR’s......one says he never crimps but maintains a tight bullet to neck fit. The other uses bullets that allow him to roll crimp into the cannelure. I thought maybe some of you guys might have some insite as to how I should approach crimping. Roll crimp, taper crimp, or no crimp? I also bought a few PMags which all seem to measure 2.25 inside max so how short is my max OAL to feed well in plastic magazines? Thanks in advance for you help.

I set my seater to put a slight crimp on the bullet. That also helps with reducing TIR. Something a lot of guys don't understand. A Pmag is generally 2.260" on the inside. So most of us run our OAL to somewhere around 2.250-2.255" to allow for reliable feeding and loading of the mags.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by NVhntr
No crimp.
2.25, or 2.255 oal. If you use metal ASC mags you can go to 2.3"

Same here.
This is pretty much the standard.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
just for s&g's i bought one of the Lee factory crimp dies to try out. done correctly it took 3/4 inch off my groups. ymmv

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by deerstalker
just for s&g's i bought one of the Lee factory crimp dies to try out. done correctly it took 3/4 inch off my groups. ymmv

I suspect you had either a runout or neck tension problem prior to crimping.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
most likely tension. i have that problem alot crazy

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use the crimp option on an RCBS AR15 seater die. It is a taper crimp that has the roll crimp at the end of a longer taper just incase your case length is not consistant. (Supposedly) It seems to work better with fewer crushed shoulders than a standard die with a roll crimp. But, to be consistent, you need to get your cases as close to the same lenght as you can. I have also used a Lee crimp die and that works well as long as you are not power crimping them. They are nice when your cases are not consistently the same lenght.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deerstalker

My mileage varied. My results were directly opposite.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No crimp. Also bump the shoulders a bit more than you would with a bolt rifle, 0.003 is good.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
No crimp.

Folks that shoot a tighter group with a crimp VS. no crimp, most likely have neck tension variance. By crimping, it helps to equalize the round to round release tension. Annealing regularly can help equalize release tension. Keeping cases sorted by brand and number of times reloaded can also help.

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
"I set my seater to put a slight crimp on the bullet. That also helps with reducing TIR. Something a lot of guys don't understand. A Pmag is generally 2.260" on the inside. So most of us run our OAL to somewhere around 2.250-2.255" to allow for reliable feeding and loading of the mags." [/quote]

What is TIR? Also, is it required that you use "small base" dies for AR reloads?

Thanks

Last edited by Kota; 06/10/20.

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kota
What is TIR? Also, is it required that you use "small base" dies for AR reloads?
Total Indicator Runout.
No.

Anything to the right of the 100ths place in overall length is irrelevant.

Politics is War by Other Means
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Small base dies are rarely needed and usually counterproductive. AR chambers are usually rather loose.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Originally Posted by Kota
Total Indicator Runout.
No.

Anything to the right of the 100ths place in overall length is irrelevant.

Yes sir. Total indicatior reading, but for run-out. I like straight ammo. It tends to shoot better than crooked chidt. Im running small base dies for my CLE chambers. Get good accuracy and good enough longevity out of my brass. Not that im too concerned about it. Brass is free around here.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I think a Lee factory crimp die is a good tool to use on ammo that's going to be fired in an auto loading rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
One of the first things I did to insure reliability of the ammo I handload was to buy a Dillon case gauge. My brass has been shot thru many different chambers but after it is resized now and it gauges I know it will chamber and lock up . If a case fails to gauge the first time I will try to resize it again if it then gauges fine , if it don't it goes in the recycle bucket I won't even save it for the bolt guns. Consistancy when loading for AR's counts alot to insure reliability. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have never crimped ammo for my AR's and never had a problem, also have never needed small-base dies.

I have to express some curiosity as to how roll crimping can reduce total indicated runout??

Mathew 22: 37-39

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Thanks guys for the feedback. I think I’ll go with “no crimp”. If I have a problem, I’ll try the factory crimp die then. Looks like an OAL of 2.25” or less should be good to go. Will probably go 2.24” and see how that works. Not trying for benchrest accuracy, just something that works well if they start coming over the wall, so to speak! Thanks again.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm with Bristoe on this one.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

133 members (300_savage, 1973cb450, 338reddog, 204guy, 338rcm, 338Rules, 19 invisible), 1,770 guests, and 1,066 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,623
Posts18,474,050
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.